Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Alteisen posted:

Hide behind people bigger than you spamming shield boost

Please do not do this. Aside from not actually shooting things and contributing damage you're also going to gently caress over your teammates with poorly time shield boost spam if they're in the middle of a gun reload.

Anybody who gets stuck in that state cannot shoot or use powers unless they heavy melee (unless they're another Volus in which case they have to die) which is basically a death sentence if there are enemies bearing down on your location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

UnknownMercenary posted:

Please do not do this. Aside from not actually shooting things and contributing damage you're also going to gently caress over your teammates with poorly time shield boost spam if they're in the middle of a gun reload.

Anybody who gets stuck in that state cannot shoot or use powers unless they heavy melee (unless they're another Volus in which case they have to die) which is basically a death sentence if there are enemies bearing down on your location.

Pretty sure they fixed that.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Alteisen posted:

Pretty sure they fixed that.
They haven't, it happened to me once or twice in that Plat game we played. But I was a Batarian Soldier so heavy melee isn't exactly out of my way.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

That sounds fun and I would love to see a video of it in action if you could oblige
Uh ... I could try. I've never made a gaming video before. Is there any free/easy software to use that's not UNREGISTERED HYPERCAM?

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Platinum Speedrun tutorial - Giant/Cerberus

Wow, I've seen these before but it's the first time I've seen one explained like that.

Space Hamlet posted:

That sounds fun and I would love to see a video of it in action if you could oblige

There's a volus sentinel reaper gold solo here that does this exact tactic. Remember to bring a good gun to kill things while your drone and decoy keep everything staggered and distracted.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elotana posted:

They haven't, it happened to me once or twice in that Plat game we played. But I was a Batarian Soldier so heavy melee isn't exactly out of my way.

Well gently caress, now I don't know if I should keep using him. :smith:

Also my origin friend lists won't show up, says I'm in offline mode. :psyduck:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
It just booted me into Offline Mode, saying I was online on another computer. I went back online and changed my password immediately. I'd double-check your poo poo too if I were you.

EDIT: Also the paranoid in me is wondering whether this has anything to do with the repair yesterday, but there's really no way to know.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 7, 2013

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
New weekend operation details:

quote:

Operation: NIGHTFALL (Feb 8th-10th)

Event Description: Our concentration on Reapers and Cerberus forces has allowed Reaper-controlled geth to flourish in pockets outside of the Perseus Veil. Our quarian-led and quarian-advised forces will be the key to terminating a geth offensive before it gains ground.

Individual Goal: Playing as any quarian kit, earn 50,000 points versus geth troopers.

Reward: Commendation Pack

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Serpentis posted:

"Voice actor for Zaeed died, huh? That gives me an idea. We should make an operation for Tali! :downs:"

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Serpentis posted:

Time to solo Bronze as a MQE/MQI?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

LogicNinja posted:

Time to solo Bronze as a MQE/MQI?

Or FQI for Sabotage shenanigans. :laugh:

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
I've noticed that batarian heavy melee doesn't get staggered out anymore. I don't know if that's because of a balance change or because of a full spec into blade armor, but it makes a good followup to biotic charge now.

Likewise, full fortification Krogan soldiers can take a brute swipe and not get staggered. It's a little jarring, actually.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Taking a scanless QME with grenade gear into Bronze/Silver makes me feel kind of guilty.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I've definitely been staggered out of Batarian heavy melee in the last couple days. Your results may vary. That Platinum Giant speedrun was pretty awesome, can't wait for pubbies to try to do it like they do the Rio box without a Volus :D Plus, they never have any medigels going into a platinum run for some crazy reason.

Moose12
Dec 8, 2007

shit YEAH

moist turtleneck posted:

I've definitely been staggered out of Batarian heavy melee in the last couple days. Your results may vary. That Platinum Giant speedrun was pretty awesome, can't wait for pubbies to try to do it like they do the Rio box without a Volus :D Plus, they never have any medigels going into a platinum run for some crazy reason.

Because pubbies believe that platinum is easy due to the Rio box. Its amusing watching the mad house poo poo show that is the activate/deactivate 4 objective waves. Grief-bot activate!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The XBL crew has been brainstorming a new enemy NPC known as grief-bot. Grief-bot can do some amazing things:

• Always stand in front of the particle rifle
  • Go to ammo boxes and take all the grenades even though he can't use them
  • Shake the screen next to you when you're scoped in
  • Roll around like a really fast segway and use the Geth Bomber shock move 10 times a second

There's always new things that Grief-bot can do for you! Thanks Bioware!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Can you even take grenades if you have no grenade capacity?

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Badfinger posted:

Not last time I checked, and certainly when I solo as a non-grenade class, I leave grenades behind after emptying ammo boxes of clips.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Badfinger posted:

No, they're thankfully not that retarded. You have to have grenades and you have to be down at least 1.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

So this is a thing now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Semisponge posted:

So this is a thing now.

I always did prefer femshep. Cool that you can use her for the banner now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Goddamn, now I might actually have to get that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
How long does it take before you start earning banners and poo poo anyway? I started playing last week for the first time since this stuff came out, and I've looked into my challenges but I don't see anything other than vague listings and percentages. I want some swag.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Click those listings to see the requirements for completing them.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

DrNutt posted:

How long does it take before you start earning banners and poo poo anyway? I started playing last week for the first time since this stuff came out, and I've looked into my challenges but I don't see anything other than vague listings and percentages. I want some swag.

Each challenge has a number of sub-challenges you have to complete to get the banner. You don't have to complete every single one, just the number listed. The engineering/biotic challenges go by the fastest if you want one right away. It's the 'do 200 waves as X class' one that are grindy as gently caress.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Schubalts posted:

Click those listings to see the requirements for completing them.

Jesus Christ, I feel like a rube. :hurr:

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

chami posted:

Wow, I've seen these before but it's the first time I've seen one explained like that.

I'm up for trying this on xbox tonight or tomorrow if anyone else wants to.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

chami posted:

There's a volus sentinel reaper gold solo here that does this exact tactic. Remember to bring a good gun to kill things while your drone and decoy keep everything staggered and distracted.

Another one for Goddess.

I'd be up for doing this on PC if anyone else wants to.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

exquisite tea posted:

Goddamn, now I might actually have to get that.

Yeah, I'm actually giving a poo poo all of a sudden.

Also, I had a brand new bug today: sounds weren't playing properly. Only sound effects, background noise was fine, but about half the time they weren't playing at all, or playing from the wrong side or at the wrong time (reave would sound like it was going off behind me, or my gun sound would lag behind actual shots). I had a whole wave where no sound effects played at all. Has anyone had that before? It really freaked me out.

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Just got a Drell infiltrator. What's a good way to use him with my crap?

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/?name=Scissorz%20deep&platform=xbox

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Black widow for a high damage dedicated sniper/anti armor. Valiant for a more nimble run and gun trash killer. Use your extended barrel/piercing mods. This is the build I use kitted out with some of your stuff:

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#Infiltrator/DrellAssassin/PAPLR/BlackWidow2AR5AS1////SniperRifleAmp2/

Skipping homing grenade isn't a must but I prefer to go full sniper and homing grenade doesn't really fit with that playstyle. You want to have your recon mine up and running as much as possible its a great benefit to you and your team.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

wookieepelt posted:

Just got a Drell infiltrator. What's a good way to use him with my crap?

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/?name=Scissorz%20deep&platform=xbox

If you don't want to snipe, use the Harrier. Spam Recon Mine and hold the trigger on anything still standing.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Haven't played since the Volus Adept and Engineer were added in. Anything new class/weapons wise?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Pumpking posted:

Skipping homing grenade isn't a must but I prefer to go full sniper and homing grenade doesn't really fit with that playstyle. You want to have your recon mine up and running as much as possible its a great benefit to you and your team.

OTOH Homing Grenade is ridiculously powerful for softening up armored bosses. You can even use them while you have your Recon Mine out or waiting for cooldowns to reset.
6/4/6/6/3 is certainly viable. I personally don't really feel the added health / shields and shield recharge beyond 3 in Fitness, or at least not enough to skip Homing Grenade completely over it.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Yeah I knew when I posted that build someone would call me out on the lack of homing grenades. They are a Good Power(tm) but the drell infiltrator definitely doesn't need them to be effective especially when you have recon mine and are sniping from a distance rather than being close to the front lines. To be honest I just don't really care for them. Also I like playing unknown/unknown and not having to worry about playing on a bad grenade map and trying to either beat other players to ammo boxes at the end of every round or lose half my effectiveness.

I go to 6 in fitness for the extra movement speed, 20% is a big difference though the health/shield recharge is also nice.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
I mean, I don't use them all the time or anything, your main point that the class can do perfectly well without them absolutely stands, it's just that I personally prefer to dump at least a couple of points in them so I can drop a grenade or two in the three or four situations where its applicable and useful in a match, and I think sacrificing everything beyond 3 in Fitness isn't a huge deal because I don't really feel that extra oomph, especially for its cost.

It's certainly a matter of personal taste more than anything I'd say. Just wanted to offer a different opinion on the matter :I

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

I like Homing Grenades because of their armor debuff for bosses. Plus a panic button for Dragoons / Brutes. Here's the DI I use. You can get into a real nice rhythm of Cloak > Mine > Shoot > Detonate with the Valiant. It's a very forgiving character + sniper combo for someone like me who can't headshot worth a drat.

Gonna try to update my megapost soon with new classes and less esoteric builds.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
I'm used to going full fitness and sniper damage but I can certainly see how the extra debuff would be useful situationally. Maybe I'll respec and give homing grenades another go.

I'll also try to remember to rewrite my cerbguard/cerbdept guide. Its really out of date now and still recommends skipping singularity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What time do Operations activate? I haven't played since the new format started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

What time do Operations activate? I haven't played since the new format started.

When you look at BSN or your manifest (or anyone's), there's a timer up at the top. Right now, 15 hours on the dot until it starts.

• Locked thread