Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That image is missing any and all glare. I don't think you'd be able to clearly see the driver with the reflection that should be coming off of the windshield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Isn't it shot from the RSR supra which is RHD? Then just a polariser for windscreen reflections.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
LO, Get your prescription checked.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
84 London Roadster kit car running vw 1600 dual port

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echoplex posted:

Rowan Atkinson's F1 has been repaired:

Click for bigger.

For now. Is this the third or the fourth time he's totaled it?

Timbo
Jun 18, 2005

He was just another drifter who broke the law!

DrPain posted:

84 London Roadster kit car running vw 1600 dual port

Pretty sure that is the kit for an MG TC late 40's early 50's .....

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Sagebrush posted:

For now. Is this the third or the fourth time he's totaled it?

He's only totaled it twice, but this last bill for his insurance company was insane. £900,000 ($1,400,000 for us 'Muricans) was the total cost.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It isn't car poo poo, but it's pretty AI. This engine makes its best fuel economy at 53,244 horse power at 90 rpm.

Big engine.

Big turbo.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You've got to be hitting limits based on the pure tensile strength of metals at that scale, right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was thinking along the lines of: does it have head bolts/studs, cam retainer bolts/studs in the traditional sense? Surely it must just have large, multicomponent structures which distribute the forces along the same lines as actual large bolts do in smaller engines.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

I was thinking along the lines of: does it have head bolts/studs, cam retainer bolts/studs in the traditional sense? Surely it must just have large, multicomponent structures which distribute the forces along the same lines as actual large bolts do in smaller engines.

I can't find a picture for some reason, but no, they do have actual head bolts. They're several feet long, with a shaft eight inches or so in diameter and a head the size of a basketball.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Krakkles posted:

Saw this on Magnaflow's facebook today ... it's a cool pic, that gets better when you realize where they took it from.

Is that from Project C.A.R.S?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sagebrush posted:

I can't find a picture for some reason, but no, they do have actual head bolts. They're several feet long, with a shaft eight inches or so in diameter and a head the size of a basketball.

I can re-send those pictures if you want.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Not only is the car just amazing visually, the chassis design is quite innovative for it's time even compared to factory works teams in F1.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Sagebrush posted:

Here's some pics, including one of the pistons and rods - http://gcaptain.com/emma-maersk-engine/

Measuring a bearing shell:

(I wonder what they run for bearing clearance and oil viscosity? Do they use grease pencils as plastigauge?)

gently caress your puny double timing chains.

Here's your head studs. Definitely studs. There's a dude standing on the crankcase for scale.

You know it's a big engine when there is a diamondplate walkway down the inside of the intake manifold.

IIRC the 14 cylinder edition of this engine (now that's a proper engine, inline 14!) puts out over 100 thousand horsepower, and achieves greater than 50% thermal efficiency.

Mostly shamelessly stolen from here: http://www.yachtforums.com/forums/technical-discussion/11290-what-makes-big-boats-go-wartsila-sulzer-rta96-c.html

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 8, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I was looking up stuff on Shusei Nagaoka since he did an ELO album cover and found these:

Having ELO music stuck in my head makes these so much better too :allears:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 8, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

IIRC the 14 cylinder edition of this engine (now that's a proper engine, inline 14!) puts out over 100 thousand horsepower, and achieves greater than 50% thermal efficiency.

That's ~100,000hp at 105rpm, mind you.

Meaning over 5,000,000nm of torque.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

front wing flexing posted:

Not only is the car just amazing visually, the chassis design is quite innovative for it's time even compared to factory works teams in F1.

Dan Gurney himself is also cool as hell. But yes, that Eagle is probably the prettiest F1 car of the last pre-wing era - and that's saying a lot when you're comparing it to the Lotus 49 and the Ferrari 312.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

KozmoNaut posted:

That's ~100,000hp at 105rpm, mind you.

Meaning over 5,000,000nm of torque.

105rpm? Easy there, don't want to wind it out for too long... :haw:

I love how slow those things turn, 105rpm means 24.5Hz firing rate, assuming 14 cylinders.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How do you even mount an engine like that without shaking the foundation apart? I can't imagine an inline 14 is well balanced.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Memento1979 posted:

It isn't car poo poo, but it's pretty AI. This engine makes its best fuel economy at 53,244 horse power at 90 rpm.

About 25,000liter or 1.5 million cubic inches. :eyepop: My 390 no longer looks too big.

Burns about 28 gallons per minute. At current fuel costs it's about $4K/hour to run or $300K for a typical 3 day ocean crossing. I'll stop whining about my old dual Mercruiser boat that used 10-15 gallons per hour.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How do you even mount an engine like that without shaking the foundation apart? I can't imagine an inline 14 is well balanced.

105 rpm isn't fast enough to matter. That's REALLY slow.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

VolumeOverTalent posted:

So where did they take it from? If it's just taken from the leading car, then yeah, cool photo, but what am I missing?
Taken from the leading car, which is drifting alongside the pictured car.

Guinness posted:

That looks like a render, not a photo. That, or it's been post-processed to all hell.

joat mon posted:

A video game?

EightBit posted:

My thoughts exactly.

Lightbulb Out posted:

I don't think it's a video game. It's just neat that it's shot from the drivers side of a car in tandem.

EightBit posted:

That image is missing any and all glare. I don't think you'd be able to clearly see the driver with the reflection that should be coming off of the windshield.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Isn't it shot from the RSR supra which is RHD? Then just a polariser for windscreen reflections.

West SAAB Story posted:

LO, Get your prescription checked.

Puddin posted:

Is that from Project C.A.R.S?

It was taken at Irwindale Speedway, and Zlatan posted the key pieces of information that y'all are apparently lacking.

http://vaughngittin.com/gallery/?album=12&gallery=101

I'm sure it's heavily post-processed, but still, y'all are pretty dumb.

Here's another screenshot from Forza:

emf
Aug 1, 2002

So it is a photo of a drifting car taken from another drifting car which looks exactly like a photo of a drifting car taken from another drifting car, Krakkles? In that case, what the gently caress is there to "realize" about "where [it was taken] from"? I think people were confused because they couldn't see how anyone would (for even a second) not see this, and assumed (based on your spoiler text) there must be something more going on with the picture.

Their mistake was that in their rush to examine the posted photo, they forgot to examine the photo's poster.

Also, spoiler tag misuse is gonna get that poo poo removed again.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

emf posted:

So it is a photo of a drifting car taken from another drifting car which looks exactly like a photo of a drifting car taken from another drifting car, Krakkles? In that case, what the gently caress is there to "realize" about "where [it was taken] from"? I think people were confused because they couldn't see how anyone would (for even a second) not see this, and assumed (based on your spoiler text) there must be something more going on with the picture.

Their mistake was that in their rush to examine the posted photo, they forgot to examine the photo's poster.

Also, spoiler tag misuse is gonna get that poo poo removed again.
When I first saw the photo, I didn't notice the lower left edge where the other car is visible. But yes, you're right, I'm a huge human being and I should just stop posting. Thanks for pointing that out.

And yes, everyone here thought that it was from a videogame and tried to get a sweet burn on Lightbulb out! because he and Zlatan are apparently the only people in AI (other than me, I guess) who know that Lightroom, Photoshop, and polarizing filters for cameras exist. Edit: Nevermind it was because I posted a spoiler tag. I won't do that again.

How about instead of trying to get a sweet burn, you post some awesome AI car poo poo?

DON'T WORRY GUYS, I DON'T HAVE ANY OPINION ABOUT WHERE THIS WAS TAKEN FROM. IT MIGHT BE FROM A VIDEO GAME, I DON'T KNOW.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 8, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Krakkles posted:

When I first saw the photo, I didn't notice the lower left edge where the other car is visible. But yes, you're right, I'm a huge human being and I should just stop posting. Thanks for pointing that out.

And yes, everyone here thought that it was from a videogame and tried to get a sweet burn on Lightbulb out! because he and Zlatan are apparently the only people in AI (other than me, I guess) who know that Lightroom, Photoshop, and polarizing filters for cameras exist.

How about instead of trying to get a sweet burn, you post some awesome AI car poo poo?

DON'T WORRY GUYS, I DON'T HAVE ANY OPINION ABOUT WHERE THIS WAS TAKEN FROM. IT MIGHT BE FROM A VIDEO GAME, I DON'T KNOW.

Relax my man. Take a walk outside. We're all friends here, until you call us all collectively stupid.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

It just feels like we've been together too long, and been through too much for me to just say "Shut the gently caress up, Krakkles." You know I love you.

edit: VVV = It was supposed to just be a sweet burn about how you used to be a really terrible poster, but it came off shittier and meaner than that. My bad. I was just gonna say "Shut the gently caress up Krakkles" but I thought that would be taken the wrong way. Oh well. Again, my bad. And ... shut the gently caress up, Krakkles.

emf fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 8, 2013

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bob NewSCART posted:

Relax my man. Take a walk outside. We're all friends here, until you call us all collectively stupid.
I was not at all "calling (you) all collectively stupid".

I said that people who assume a well-taken and fairly well post-processed photograph is from a videogame (and take it to the point of telling someone to get their eyes checked) because "a reflection should be coming off the windshield" are pretty dumb.

The displeasure you're thinking you see is because emf thought it would be clever to try to get a sweet burn in about how I'm a terrible poster, because I happened to use a spoiler tag (which I would maintain wasn't incorrect - I realized something about the photo after looking at it a second time, and I was attempting to preserve that for other people by spoiling what I was pointing out ... which emf thinks makes me stupid or something I guess because I didn't realize it right away) and thought that a cool picture was worth posting in this thread.

I'm going to keep posting pictures because I like looking at cars, but if you guys want to keep talking about my posting, I'm cool with it.

emf posted:

It just feels like we've been together too long, and been through too much for me to just say "Shut the gently caress up, Krakkles." You know I love you.
Shut the gently caress gently caress up and post pictures, EMF.

Sorry, guys, this is a bike, not a car. Please don't be too mad, ok?

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 8, 2013

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Edit out the word f** so you don't get probated in these sensitive forums!!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Woah, it's really not nice to call yourself something like that because there's nothing wrong with being that and it shouldn't be insulting.

for content and to end the derail:

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Everyone shutup and look at this thing.

Just popped up on my Facebook feed from Top Gear.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/bugatti-veyron-volkswagen-beetle-render-2013-02-07

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Post pictures. We're cool :)

rcman50166 posted:

Everyone shutup and look at this thing.

Just popped up on my Facebook feed from Top Gear.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/bugatti-veyron-volkswagen-beetle-render-2013-02-07
i like it!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
That Bugatti-Beetle thing is pretty awesome :haw:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
A good mate of mine is working at the Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 hour this weekend, pit crew for the Aston Martin St. Gallen team.

They're racing a Vantage GT4, seen here having just had new front rotors in the pits.

This morning he posted this picture to the Facebooks.

Aston Martin One-77. Apparently it has the most powerful naturally aspirated production engine in the world; I don't know about that, but it does have seven hundred and fifty horsepower.

edit: you can stream the event here: http://new.livestream.com/itvl/bathurst12hour

Memento fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 9, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Astons always look like they're about to turn into submarines

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Makes sense when they've been sporting the filter feeder look longer than anyone else.

The 177's V12 is a monster, but I wonder how it would fare against the SRT Viper's V10 if they were placed in identical vehicles. While it has a clear horsepower advantage, the pushrod has more torque, which is available throughout most of its rpm range.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The way I understand it, any inline 4 stroke engine with an even number of more than 4 cylinders is perfectly balanced, because the movement of each piston is perfectly offset by another piston. You need more than 4 because of the 4 strokes of the combustion cycle each piston can only fire once every 720* of crank rotation.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Tekne posted:

Makes sense when they've been sporting the filter feeder look longer than anyone else.

The 177's V12 is a monster, but I wonder how it would fare against the SRT Viper's V10 if they were placed in identical vehicles. While it has a clear horsepower advantage, the pushrod has more torque, which is available throughout most of its rpm range.

Who knows how fast the 177 actually is? Has it ever been tested or driven in anger by anyone? I think they could probably wring more power out of the viper engine if they wanted to, but the Viper already has bigger tires than a Veyron, on a RWD car with a conventional manual transmission I think you're hitting limits other than the engine. I think the horsepower figure on the Aston is more bragging than actually useful, it is like $2 million dollar or whatever car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
86 Notch

2500lbs
HRE wheels
Inboard cantilever formula style coilovers.
DOHC 5.0L aluminum v8 with a vortech JT trim, and nitrous.
Apparently from friends at SEMA it isn't exactly finished yet.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/rollin-in-my-5-0-the-fox-redefined/