Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:

Beach Bum posted:

The worst part of looking for a radio for my 87 BMW 3 series was trying to find a radio that wouldn't look out of place with all the goodies like bluetooth. GOOD loving LUCK :argh:

Also I love those kid of old speedos. :3:

It's hard when daily driving a car to balance classic look, and functionality. I am restoring my car to stock looks, and trying to only make wheel/suspension mods that could be un-done in a weekend, so it could be sold to someone who is looking for a stock classic car. Bolt in air suspension, and wheels are all that has really been done outside of stock. I did update the electrical system to a blade style fusebox and all new wiring, but trying to retain the basic factory body/interior (Car is dirty here, but remember, daily driven in a Seattle winter):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Ferremit posted:

They are SPECTACULAR at loving cars.

But at least the power was still on, a meter to the left and it would've been in someones house.

They don't catch fire either:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ferremit posted:

Aus has HUGE distances of 240v transmission lines- pretty much entire suburbs are run with 240v

Are you sure? It would be horribly inefficient to run 240V for more than a few hundred feet. You'd have huge voltage drop issues.
Those cables don't look stout enough to carry power at 240V for entire suburbs (more current at lower voltage, skin effect, etc -> needs bigger wires at low voltage, high power AC distribution)

Fake edit: Found some info. http://www.powercor.com.au/docs/pdf/Community%20and%20Environment/Fact%20Sheet%20-%20The%20power%20grid.pdf
You got 110kV-220kV transmission, then down to 66kV at the end of the transmission line. That gets stepped down to 11-33kV for inner city distribution.
Final step down occurs in neighborhood substations. Although there is no reference to the extent such a substation covers, I would be surprised if it is more than 1000m, if that far.

quote:

IEEE defines medium voltage as 601V to 69,000V. And you don't see 240 (or 120) in transmission lines anyway; you usually don't see anything below 4160 (in the US) until you hit the final step-down transformer (and in residential, that can serve anywhere from one home to several houses, or on an apartment property, usually a few buildings).

The medium voltage is used in distribution (for the most part) and not even transmission. That's reserved for 113kV up to 1,000KV, AC or DC.

And the lines in that picture (the leaning transmission tower) are most certainly 113kV or bigger.

Real edit: Have some turbine generator failures.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 6, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

TotalLossBrain posted:

Was that some kind of military strike, or a dynamic failure?

Either way; AWESOME.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Was that some kind of military strike, or a dynamic failure?

Either way; AWESOME.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayano%E2%80%93Shushenskaya_Dam

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

"I couldn't tell the difference between the brake pedal and the gas pedal" :corsair:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I think something broke. :stare:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Water pressure is a wonderful thing.

The turbine wasn't bolted down right.

quote:

The report states that the accident was primarily caused by the turbine vibrations which led to the fatigue damage of the mountings of the turbine 2, including the cover of the turbine. It was also found that at the moment of accident at least six nuts were missing from the bolts securing the turbine cover. After the accident 49 recovered bolts were investigated from which 41 had fatigue cracks. On 8 bolts, the fatigue damaged area exceeded 90% of the total cross-sectional area.[2]
According to this report, on 17 August 2009 at 1:20AM (local time) there was a fire at the hydroelectric power station of Bratsk which broke both communications and the automatic driving systems of other power plants in the region, including Sayano-Shushenskaya. The situation was recovered on 17 August 2009 at 15:03. At 8:12AM local time, turbine 2's output power was reduced by the turbine regulator and it entered into the non-recommended powerband II. Shortly after this, the bolts keeping the turbine cover in place were broken, and under water pressure of about 20 bars (2,000 kPa), the spinning turbine with its cover, rotor, and upper parts started to move up, destroying machinery hall installations. At the same time, pressurized water flooded the rooms and continued damaging plant constructions.[2]
According to Rostekhnadzor, the automatic shutdown system of the water intake pipes' gates failed after failure of the turbine

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 7, 2013

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2dp8Sdw5rY is taken from security cameras at the dam. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfW5MqT7CSA is a report (in English)

IIRC, the ultimate cause was balance issues with turbine #2 (which had been ongoing for years), which caused stress fractures in the bolts. And once the turbine escaped, pretty much all the safety systems failed, either due to the loss of power, or the flooding.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 7, 2013

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

When I worked for toyota I once sold a fog light where the part name on the packaging said FOGRANPU.

When I worked for a motorcycle dealership, the names of parts would typically be abbreviated to fit onto the tiny little labels they used. A fuel cock assembly came in a little box labelled "COCK ASSY."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Reading the article, you get no idea of how :black101: it was compared to when you see that pic of the turbine.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA
This could easily be the cover art for some prog-rock band's album.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Astroman posted:

Reading the article, you get no idea of how :black101: it was compared to when you see that pic of the turbine.

I initally thought it was a shot of the turbine hall for the #4 reactor at Chernobyl...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Coronet XX posted:

This could easily be the cover art for some prog-rock band's album.

I think it would be a good cover for Dream Theater.

e: holy crap, they have a new DVD coming out. :fap: I didn't even know they were still touring..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 7, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Astroman posted:

Reports of that type tend to be couched in quite dry language, you start to read between the lines after a while.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

some texas redneck posted:

I think it would be a good cover for Dream Theater.

e: holy crap, they have a new DVD coming out. :fap: I didn't even know they were still touring..
Dream Theater was exactly what I had in mind. :hf: I'll have to check out that DVD too! /derail

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Then you definitely don't want to look at the trailer.

I honestly had no idea they were still around; you don't hear of them much where I'm at, and never seem to hit Texas.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

I honestly had no idea they were still around; you don't hear of them much where I'm at, and never seem to hit Texas.

They came to Austin last year, and I wouldn't expect to hear them on the radio anywhere unless they're doing a greatest hits of 1991 and you can convince the DJ to play Pull Me Under.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

TotalLossBrain posted:

The mechanical destruction that occurred at this power plant still amazes me.

Ok this isn't so bad:

Well then...:stare:

Oh my. :stonk:

I'd hate to be a part of the crew that had to clean up all those PCBs.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Coolnezzz posted:

Absolute carnage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egeABBr5hyA

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

EightBit posted:

They came to Austin last year, and I wouldn't expect to hear them on the radio anywhere unless they're doing a greatest hits of 1991 and you can convince the DJ to play Pull Me Under.

Very rarely I will hear it on the radio late at night here when the DJ wants to go smoke a cigarette or take a poo poo or something.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Well it doesn't help that the quality of their music continues to decline. I gave up a while ago

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

Well it doesn't help that the quality of their music continues to decline. I gave up a while ago

I used to love them in HS in college, but I checked out around their 3rd album. Now they look really, really old. And the keyboardist is unironically wearing a wizard hat with runes. :psyduck:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

That guy almost has a :smug: look on his face.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Coolnezzz posted:

Well then...:stare:

poo poo, Bob, get the cordon from the cafeteria queue set up around that hole before someone hurts themselves!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Astroman posted:

I used to love them in HS in college, but I checked out around their 3rd album. Now they look really, really old. And the keyboardist is unironically wearing a wizard hat with runes. :psyduck:

You should find a YouTube video of him playing.

It only gets worse.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Oh man, thanks for this - seeing Jordan Rudess in that wizard hat just did it for me. I haven't listened to them seriously since high school, and I haven't heard any of their music since their original drummer jumped ship, time to go YouTubing!

BraveUlysses posted:

You should find a YouTube video of him playing.

It only gets worse.

:fuckoff: You should find a video of him playing Octavarium. It only gets amazing

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Not sure I'd refer to a mix of 240v and either 11KV or 33KV as "Medium voltage"...

"High Voltage" is generally considered to be above 35k. That's how IEEE defines it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

InitialDave posted:

poo poo, Bob, get the cordon from the cafeteria queue set up around that hole before someone hurts themselves!
Too late. 75 people died in that "accident". :(

("accident" because the plant operators knew the #2 turbine was vibrating out of spec for a long time but didn't want to spend the money to fix it.)

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 8, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Collateral Damage posted:

("accident" because the plant operators knew the #2 turbine was vibrating out of spec for a long time but didn't want to spend to money to fix it.)

Sayano-Shushenskaya power station accident wiki page posted:

The turbine hall and engine room were flooded, the ceiling of the turbine hall collapsed, 9 of 10 turbines were damaged or destroyed, and 75 people were killed.

So basically, rather than spend money to fix the faulty turbine (or, you know, barring that shutting it down and leaving the other 9 operational) they let the entire facility basically self-destruct.

Sayano-Shushenskaya power station accident wiki page posted:

According to Russian Energy Minister Sergei Shmatko, the rebuilding of the engine room alone will cost 40 billion rubles (€880 million, US$1.3 billion).

Clearly a sound financial decision :eng99:

The even more :aaa: part is there are undoubtedly Soviet-era NPPs being run by the same kind of "pennywise/pound-foolish" administrators throughout Russia.

Coolnezzz posted:

I'd hate to be a part of the crew that had to clean up all those PCBs.

I'm sure the "clean up" involved slipping the environmental regulator $200 USD equivalent in rubles and a case of vodka so they could just dump it in the river.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 8, 2013

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
You want to talk about management screwing up a power plant ? The following conversation between Crystal River nuclear power plant employees happened sometime in 2009, true story:

:haw: Hey Clem, go get some concrete mix, coupla ladders, trowels, and get a crew set up !
:v: What we doin' Bubba ?
:haw: The eggheads in management found some cracks in somethin' called a "containment dome", and we're gonna fix it ourselves insteada hirin' some fancypants en-gi-neer-in company !
:v: How much did them engyneers want anyway ? !
:haw: 'Bout $15 million bucks I hear !

Net result ? This week an entire nuclear power plant was written off as un-fixable. Total dollar cost (spent so far + building a new gas fired plant to replace this one) is up around $3 billion. Number of jobs killed ? around 600.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/energy/article1273794.ece

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
http://youtu.be/HJA3J--g_yI

Failures of all kinds.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Havent american offroaders heard of "Snatch straps" and "Winches"?

Seriously- how the gently caress do you crack a 42" thick reinforced concrete containment building?

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 8, 2013

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

:catstare: I was staring at the video with my hands on my face waiting for the cable to snap and gently caress someone up. I did recovery in the Army, and although that's not a chain nor is the truck a couple of tons, when those things let go you can split someone in half. ...And the retards standing on the truck. I'm seriously amazed no one was loving killed. EVERYTHING about that video is terrible.

Edit: THERE IS A CHAIN

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MREBoy posted:

You want to talk about management screwing up a power plant ? The following conversation between Crystal River nuclear power plant employees happened sometime in 2009, true story:

:haw: Hey Clem, go get some concrete mix, coupla ladders, trowels, and get a crew set up !
:v: What we doin' Bubba ?
:haw: The eggheads in management found some cracks in somethin' called a "containment dome", and we're gonna fix it ourselves insteada hirin' some fancypants en-gi-neer-in company !
:v: How much did them engyneers want anyway ? !
:haw: 'Bout $15 million bucks I hear !

Net result ? This week an entire nuclear power plant was written off as un-fixable. Total dollar cost (spent so far + building a new gas fired plant to replace this one) is up around $3 billion. Number of jobs killed ? around 600.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/energy/article1273794.ece

If we're going to dive into US nuclear blunders, look no further than First Energy's Davis Besse NPP.

TL;DR borated water leak onto the reactor vessel lid resulted in a roughly football-shaped hole being eaten into the carbon steel lid. By the time the NRC shut them down there was < 1/2" of the stainless steel liner holding back the high-pressure coolant inside the reactor, which (arguably) could have resulted in a catastrophic loss of coolant accident and potentially a run away reaction/meltdown. The utility was later prosecuted for covering up the incident (IIRC they basically told the NRC to go gently caress themselves when they wanted to inspect the reactor several times), but dodged any real punishment by hanging some employees out to dry.

This is from the same company that was responsible for the 2003 northeast blackout.

e:

Carteret posted:

when those things let go you can split someone in half.

Didn't the Mythbusters prove that while a cable snapping at high tension will leave a nasty bruise and potentially break some bones, it doesn't have the force necessary to split a body in half?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 8, 2013

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
And here I was just reading about the problems San Onofre has been having

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0207-san-onofre-20130207,0,3728522.story?track=lanowpicks

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Geoj posted:

Didn't the Mythbusters prove that while a cable snapping at high tension will leave a nasty bruise and potentially break some bones, it doesn't have the force necessary to split a body in half?

Can't confirm/deny, but safety was a huge deal when you are dealing with a 60,000 lb recover winch. The way the wrecker would squirm around even with the spades dug in was unsettling.

e: Mythbusters tested with a 30,000lb winch. The M88 Wrecker has an 70,000 lb winch, and if you put a snatch block on it can pull 140,000 lbs at 2:1. If that chain were to let go, that is A LOT of force.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 8, 2013

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Ferremit posted:

"Snatch straps"
If I were ever to market my own brand of sanitary napkins this is the name I'd use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
nevermind.