Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not watching any of this but what's wrong with the Fury comment :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think the best part of this video so far was when an alien was climbing on the ceiling, jumped onto a wall, and then stood up on two legs while still sideways on the wall. I had low expectations for this game, but oh wow.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Caecitas posted:

Sorry to say muffins i think we were watching the same lp.

Does yours have the section where the screen is obscured by a tooltip about the healthbar while the marine dies from a chestburster and detonates a grenade that blows the umbilical, and the guy playing is utterly dumbfounded saying, "What the hell was going on while I was reading that?!" because I couldn't stop laughing.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
You guys are making me doubt my decision to pre-order.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I assume we're all watching that one English video of Colonial Marines right now. Haven't found any others, except a 15 minute German one that shows the same level anyway.

e: As an aside, the German localization is absolutely atrocious, as was to be expected.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 8, 2013

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?

MUFFlNS posted:

Does yours have the section where the screen is obscured by a tooltip about the healthbar while the marine dies from a chestburster and detonates a grenade that blows the umbilical, and the guy playing is utterly dumbfounded saying, "What the hell was going on while I was reading that?!" because I couldn't stop laughing.

Actually mate I don’t think we are....

I may have to try to find it.

Also, is it just me, or was the self-sacrifice grenade scene absolutely awful? That marine sure as hell resorted to blowing himself into tiny bits quick, without any idea as to what was happening to him. P.S he’s also a bit of a dick. I guess if he can’t finish his stroll up the umbilical, no one can.

I didn’t quite expect JC's level of direction, but generally speaking the mixture of awful pacing and questionable actions has made this at the very least fun in a "Aliens 3 - Maths homework book scribble edition" sort of a way.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Don't listen to them, ChickenHeart, you've waited years for this game to come out and put all those fears to rest; all that footage of blatant consolitis, terrible AI, and awkward writing is all blown waay out of proportion/part of an elaborate anti-piracy program, and the real game will be totally awesome and rad and live up to all your expectations :unsmith:

...Just like Duke Nukem Forever :smith:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Just a reminder to everyone who's watching that video, this is what that level looked like a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qLuOVI1Fic

I have no idea what they were thinking.

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
Funny, that crossed my mind ChickenHeart

After the first 40 or so minutes of footage i thought "hey, maybe this is one of them new-fangled anti-piracy measures, where the leaked game is a shoddy earlier version - the previously shown demo isn’t consistent with this footage". I genuinely considered it for a good 10 or so seconds.

Then I remembered it was 3:30am and I’m full of poo poo and unfortunately this is all we’re getting. Still, I’m looking forward to some multiplayer with Goons come Midnight Monday

Also Giggly, I watched that clip again after you posted it - they HAD the atmosphere, they actually presumably have a build of the game that is at least THAT good. Think of all the design choices that must of made in the last 6 months that turned the opening 5 minutes from what they had to what we got.

edit - also, the pulse rifle in that demo footage reads 95 (underloaded 99mag due to jam, etc). So within the last 6 months someone decided that reloading was something players get a kick out of enough to drag the MK2 fiction from the books into the mix, just to excuse a primary weapon in a game that doesn’t require reloading after every kill. That pulse rifle in the demo has the iron sights etc, but is otherwise the original

oh sure they put in Hudsons rifle as a legendary weapon, but that is only burst fire capable. I can recall as a child of around 10 taping sweet-jars and bin-bags together to make a big black gun, and pretending it was a pulse rifle in my garden.

I did a better job at recreating what a vast majority of aliens fans wanted to do some 20 years ago, while maintaining zero dignity. At least I’ve an excuse to share that memory now, right?

Caecitas fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 8, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ChickenHeart posted:

Don't listen to them, ChickenHeart, you've waited years for this game to come out and put all those fears to rest; all that footage of blatant consolitis, terrible AI, and awkward writing is all blown waay out of proportion/part of an elaborate anti-piracy program, and the real game will be totally awesome and rad and live up to all your expectations :unsmith:

gently caress you, Randy Pitchford. So if horde mode isn't in this, then what is survivor mode? They advertised a trailer for it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Caecitas posted:

Actually mate I don’t think we are....

Oh? I'd like a link to your video then please! You mentioned fighting humans which I haven't seen either, since I just saw a 20 minute video of the first mission, so I'm curious to see what happens after the LP I watched ended.

blackguy32 posted:

gently caress you, Randy Pitchford. So if horde mode isn't in this, then what is survivor mode? They advertised a trailer for it.

I'm pretty sure that Survivor mode is the standard L4D styled multiplayer in the game. Four humans have to do whatever while player-controlled xenos try to murder them all. That's what it looks like in the trailer, anyways.

ChickenHeart posted:

Also made by Gearbox! :v:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Caecitas posted:

Also Giggly, I watched that clip again after you posted it - they HAD the atmosphere, they actually presumably have a build of the game that is at least THAT good. Think of all the design choices that must of made in the last 6 months that turned the opening 5 minutes from what they had to what we got.

The first thing that really struck me in the year old video was how good the sound quality was. You can hear echoes in the audio, it really sounds like they're in a big, metal room. The lighting is fantastic, obscuring the aliens, which would make the relatively retarded path finding less obnoxious. The whole ship seems to have an atmosphere to it that's much more engrossing as well. On top of that, the cutscenes are presented in a much better, more comprehensible way.

It's like they took all that, saw it was good, and then decided gently caress it, time to spend the next six months ruining it.

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
Couldn’t agree more mate.

This is what happens when someone attempts to mesh the atmosphere a movie can produce with the entertainment value of an interactive experience. Someone complains it isn’t interactive enough, or that there is too much talking, or that they can’t see what they are shooting.

It begs the question - why make a videogame that claims to be faithful to a movie when any shed of vision shared between the two is scrapped 6 months before
release?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MUFFlNS posted:

Oh? I'd like a link to your video then please! You mentioned fighting humans which I haven't seen either, since I just saw a 20 minute video of the first mission, so I'm curious to see what happens after the LP I watched ended.

I'm pretty sure that Survivor mode is the standard L4D styled multiplayer in the game. Four humans have to do whatever while player-controlled xenos try to murder them all. That's what it looks like in the trailer, anyways.

Also made by Gearbox! :v:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0CDT0aWVzU&list=PLvqXcq9WkU93KuxRVkNVjkKUT_I70P85e&index=3
It's to late now, I might as well see how hosed up the game gets later on.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MUFFlNS posted:

Also, holy poo poo at "Captain, the Sulaco was last seen over Fury 161, how did it get back to LV-426" "We don't know" hahaha. Why didn't they just be honest and have him say "Fanservice"?
One of the plot points is determining how it got back over LV-426, Gearbox was pretty transparent about that from early in development. At least the characters in the game are recognizing that the ship shouldn't be there.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The presentation in this game is horrible. All the way down to basic stuff like subtitles. Christ.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

pengun101 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0CDT0aWVzU&list=PLvqXcq9WkU93KuxRVkNVjkKUT_I70P85e&index=3
OH god that's so bad compared to the video Giggly linked, I don't even understand how that happened. Also, you can totally add tension to the game with the 95rd guns. Make it so you have 4 (or whatever) total magazines, when you reload, you dump the entire magazine. Now every time you fire, you have to consider how much is left in your current magazine, how many reloads you have, and whether you should lose 20ish rounds before you open a door or not. That's a sizeable chunk of your ammo right there, but on the other hand, if an alien catches you while you're reloading you're (or should be, in a proper Aliens game!) hosed. Decisions!

edit: And we can't have mechanical depth or atmospheric tension in a game these days, no way. Ugh. It was a great system in the Battlefield series of all places, let alone a horror-shooter that also has moments for badassedry. Can you imagine how great it'd feel to kick down the doors and know you have a full mag, 10 grenades in the undersling ready to go, and a load of aliens on the other side? It'd be like 15 seconds of non-stop explosions and gunfire. God help you if everything isn't dead at the end of that.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 8, 2013

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?

Ravenfood posted:

OH god that's so bad compared to the video Giggly linked, I don't even understand how that happened. Also, you can totally add tension to the game with the 95rd guns. Make it so you have 4 (or whatever) total magazines, when you reload, you dump the entire magazine. Now every time you fire, you have to consider how much is left in your current magazine, how many reloads you have, and whether you should lose 20ish rounds before you open a door or not. That's a sizeable chunk of your ammo right there, but on the other hand, if an alien catches you while you're reloading you're (or should be, in a proper Aliens game!) hosed. Decisions!

No can do Raven - nobody likes a mag reload system. Players hate losing discarded ammo or having to load half empty previously used mags.

Besides, that'd add mechanical depth to play as well as atmospheric tension.

Zellus
Apr 3, 2010

Incompetence surrounds me!

MUFFlNS posted:

pengun101 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPXBEmxnLfk&list=PLvqXcq9WkU93KuxRVkNVjkKUT_I70P85e

Not even 30 seconds into the video and a ragdoll gets trapped halfway into the floor with its arm sticking out of its stomach.

Zellus fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 8, 2013

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Those LP videos make the game look incredibly goddamn bad

DehatstyTopinbout
Dec 28, 2004

C4
is the motherfucking answer
Seriously. This doesn't even look like it'd be worth a $2 rental from Red Box. Looks worse than loving AVP 2010. Shame cause like a few others I was intrigued by the videos they released a few years ago. Figures it'd turn out like this though.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DehatstyTopinbout posted:

Figures it'd turn out like this though.

I didn't figure it would up and I don't think anyone could have truly predicted that it end up being that bad up until the last week or so with those god awful trailers. Gearbox has had a decent track record (outside of DNF) and their latest game, Borderlands 2 was a lot of fun (at least for me and my friends) and well polished so I had high hopes for this. Thankfully I cancelled my GMG order a week ago :toot: when I realized I was going to have a Brink 2.0 experience.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 8, 2013

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Outside of Borderlands all of Gearbox's games have bordered between mediocre and loving awful. That this game is poo poo shouldn't come as a surprise.

Edit: vvvvv It's been so long that I forgot they made it.

GUI fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 8, 2013

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Opposing Force ruled :smith:

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
I haven't been paying attention to this game's development that closely but wasn't the appeal in one of the earlier builds that there was gonna be minimal HUD? What the gently caress? How hard could this be to gently caress up?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

GUI posted:

Outside of Borderlands all of Gearbox's games have bordered between mediocre and loving awful. That this game is poo poo shouldn't come as a surprise.

Edit: vvvvv It's been so long that I forgot they made it.

They haven't really made that much to be fair. Most of their catalog are either ports (which ended up okay in the case of some like Halo 1 PC), Brothers in Arms (which I haven't played but they seem generally well received), Opposing Force/Blue Shift (which I liked both of them), DNF (bad but expected), and Borderlands. Especially with Borderlands 2, they seemed to learn a lot from previous mistakes and fixed them so they were at least on an upward trajectory so I had hoped they'd learn from previous debacles (DNF) in this case too. Alas :(

ZackHoagie posted:

I haven't been paying attention to this game's development that closely but wasn't the appeal in one of the earlier builds that there was gonna be minimal HUD? What the gently caress? How hard could this be to gently caress up?
Minimal HUD is really the least of the problems. I'll spend my $30 I saved from cancelling my pre-order to buy a :gearbox: smiley if someone wants to make one that encapsulates their disappointing incompetence :(

Xaris fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 8, 2013

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The DLC situation has really soured me on Borderlands 2 so I'm not putting that game completely in their favor.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TF2 MINING RIG posted:

The DLC situation has really soured me on Borderlands 2 so I'm not putting that game completely in their favor.

I would agree if the base game wasn't already so long and fulfilling that the DLC wasn't even really needed in the first place. And I think Triptych Games did all the DLC but Gearbox should have had better QC over it.

However, if it's true Horde mode was removed to be put into a DLC here, then :stare:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Having watched parts 3 & 4 of the gameplay, I'm just struck by tediousness of stomping through the Sulaco, ok so maybe according to technical manuals it supports 90 crew and has the capacity to carry 2000 frozen marines but it's just endless corridors joined by odd purposeless rooms filled with consoles and doesn't look much like a lived in working environment ( basically the same as every other survival horror game that I lose interest and have to force myself to finish ). Maybe it's just me but I really find it hard to get motivated by the same ol' running from point A to point B, guided by a disembodied voice until surprise X happens and everything has gone pear shaped and now I have to run to point C. I was kind of hoping that having live marines running along with me might break the mold somewhat but eh, I'm just not feeling it.

Also maybe it's just a console limitation thing but in the part 3 video watching the aliens go through the same death animations in a couple of the parts where the player is covering O'Neil as he's opening some doors and it was like watching death animation sprites from Doom.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 8, 2013

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I can attest Hell's highway was a good game, detailed too. I can't understand how this is so game became this meh, I mean its not like gearbox didn't want the project. Some of the stuff i assume will be patched, but holy hell why.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 8, 2013

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ZackHoagie posted:

During the IGN stream they said there's an option to turn it off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I have to admit, I am curious how they are going to explain the story and all that. I am sure it will be dumb, but you never know.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

pengun101 posted:

I have to admit, I am curious how they are going to explain the story and all that. I am sure it will be dumb, but you never know.

Maybe it like, had an autopilot that triggered and returned it to its last waypoint, which was LV-426.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Revitalized posted:

During the IGN stream they said there's an option to turn it off.

A straight, flat 'on/off' switch is a terrible remedy for an intrusive UI. If it's an actual reactive UI that would be nice, but it doesn't look like they put any effort into this game that would be more than the bare minimum.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It also eliminates any hope that the game would actually be designed around not having a UI.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

The floating icons and stats everywhere make this look like an aliens mod for Borderlands.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
There is never going to be a good game developed for this franchise ever again is there

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It was a bold decision on behalf of Gearbox to port textures from AvP2000 into a game made in 2013!

... Oh wait, that's not what they did and the game just looks that bad, isn't it?

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
This is probably the worst game of 2013 bar none- I never really wanted to believe it was gonna turn out this bad but poo poo Gearbox you guys have made making lovely games some kind of art form with this newest title.

Good job on making survival horror in the Aliens setting completely impossible from here on out, the dream was good while it lasted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
Seriously, if they made a competent L4D/Aliens game, I'd play it in a second. But holy poo poo does the gameplay look terrible. When the aliens are shot, they just sorta go, "oh, I'm dead I guess," and slowly fall to their knees. The gibbing of bodies in L4D would have really worked here - when the xenomorphs are shot in the movies, they loving explode. It's why engaging them in close range, besides their speed and lethality, is a really bad idea.

Not to mention, the UI (and especially tooltips and popups) seem to be standing out in front of you and screaming "LOOK AT ME" like some crazed, attention-greedy girlfriend. And then the loving textures. Who has textures like that in the Year of Our Lord 2013?!

The worst part about this is, I don't think it'll be the worst game out in 2013. Worst AAA game, perhaps, but a lot of crap is put out there and you just never know. Rather, the truly offensive thing about this is that the franchise has so much loving promise, and the concept behind this sounded genuinely fun, but they apparently hosed it up spectacularly. It's like when you find a movie that sounds incredibly interesting and you rush out to get it, then you pop it in and it's just poorly done. Maybe not even that bad, but poorly and clumsily done. You're almost angrier at the slightly watchable movie that you expected more of than the truly bad film you expected nothing of. To make it even worse, I legitimately enjoyed Dead Island and will probably be buying the sequel, so it's not like I have a low tolerance for bungled games.

EDIT: I mean, look at their loving blood. It's just a lovely decal on the wall, like a damage marker you'd find in a game circa 2000!

Nombres fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 8, 2013

• Locked thread