Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Geoj posted:

Didn't the Mythbusters prove that while a cable snapping at high tension will leave a nasty bruise and potentially break some bones, it doesn't have the force necessary to split a body in half?

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/06/22/amusement-park-accident-severs-girls-feet/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ferremit posted:

Havent american offroaders heard of "Snatch straps" and "Winches"?

Seriously- how the gently caress do you crack a 42" thick reinforced concrete containment building?

The smart ones have - I carry a snatch strap, and most well equipped people (including me, as of today) have a winch. My offroad club requires that everyone have proper recovery points front and rear, a snatch strap, a D-ring shackle, med kit, proper jack, spare, lug wrench, and fire extinguisher to even leave pavement with the club. I also carry 4 D-rings, two tree savers, and a snatch block, and will probably get a second snatch block next time I'm at the store.

The backwoods inbred :banjo: type hicks? Not a chance in hell. Hook that chain 'round the axle housing and let er rip! :haw:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

A lot of other places, reporting later, indicated that the cable wrapped around her legs. This story seems to indicate that the cables broke and then settled into dangerous positions (like around necks), which then led to injuries when the ride continued to operate afterwards.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Coolnezzz posted:

I'd hate to be a part of the crew that had to clean up all those PCBs.
But this happened in Russia, right? No one was cleaning up poo poo, beyond making sure it was washed downriver.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ive seen some serious damage caused by winch cables recoiling after snapping- Things like shattering A pillars on 4wd's and cutting alloy roof racks in half

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ferremit posted:

Ive seen some serious damage caused by winch cables recoiling after snapping- Things like shattering A pillars on 4wd's and cutting alloy roof racks in half

You four wheeling types are so cute. 140,000 pounds from a wrecker. :glomp:

Try tug boats and barges. Three inch nylon tow line that starts smoking and squealing under 3000 horsepower plus. There are plenty of instances of deck hands losing legs when the tow line parts. A guy got killed off Nantucket a decade ago when he got hit in the chest with a piece of line that had parted.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

sharkytm posted:

You four wheeling types are so cute. 140,000 pounds from a wrecker. :glomp:

Try tug boats and barges. Three inch nylon tow line that starts smoking and squealing under 3000 horsepower plus. There are plenty of instances of deck hands losing legs when the tow line parts. A guy got killed off Nantucket a decade ago when he got hit in the chest with a piece of line that had parted.

You're funny. Try aircraft carrier arresting gear.

My dad was (un)lucky enough to watch a guy get his leg taken clean off after one snapped during a plane landing. That wire can and will maim, destroy, and kill anything in its' path when it snaps.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

Geoj posted:

borated water

Very nice...

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP
Now seems like an appropriate time to post this classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuIbvX_B7sY (guy JUMPS OVER a snapped arresting cable on an aircraft carrier)

Guy in the yellow jacket is a boss.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Devyl posted:

My dad was (un)lucky enough to watch a guy get his leg taken clean off after one snapped during a plane landing. That wire can and will maim, destroy, and kill anything in its' path when it snaps.

http://tugboatsonline.com/boat_yard/wire_boats/cabletowing.htm
Your wire looks smaller, but under higher tension. However, its also maintanined, and not subject to dunking in sea water its entire life (yes, I know waves spray the deck of a carrier). Either one is going to slice and dice.

However, a steel cable from a 7000# truck yanking a 5000# truck out of the mud... not likely to slice through a person. It could still kill you for sure, but its not likely to cut you in half. Not enough mass or force.

Oh, and I hosed up on the size of the tow line. It is commonly as large as 12"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

lazer_chicken posted:

Now seems like an appropriate time to post this classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuIbvX_B7sY (guy JUMPS OVER a snapped arresting cable on an aircraft carrier)

All the neighborhood kids laughed at him when he played double dutch with the girls but who's laughing now? :smug:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

sharkytm posted:

http://tugboatsonline.com/boat_yard/wire_boats/cabletowing.htm
Your wire looks smaller, but under higher tension. However, its also maintanined, and not subject to dunking in sea water its entire life (yes, I know waves spray the deck of a carrier). Either one is going to slice and dice.

However, a steel cable from a 7000# truck yanking a 5000# truck out of the mud... not likely to slice through a person. It could still kill you for sure, but its not likely to cut you in half. Not enough mass or force.

Oh, and I hosed up on the size of the tow line. It is commonly as large as 12"

I find tugboats to be pretty awesome. I've watched a few episodes of that show "Great Lake Warriors" and it's really impressive to see just how strong those boats really are.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Devyl posted:

Not to mention that the incredibly valuable aircraft full of people and explosives that snapped it is now most likely too slow to go around, and is now pointed at the water.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, in the video lazer_chicken posted you can see the pilot eject as the Hornet drops out of sight.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Ferremit posted:

Seriously- how the gently caress do you crack a 42" thick reinforced concrete containment building?

First, you forget to add steel reinforcement to the dome on top of the 130 foot wide, 190 foot tall containment building.

Then, you repair the dome by adding more reinforcement to the dome but don't add any reinforcement to the walls holding up the now much heavier dome.

30 years later, hire Bubba to cut a 25 foot by 27 foot hole in the 42 inch thick reinforced concrete containment building in order to replace the steam generators. (Instead of hiring the $15 million eggheads who have already done it right several times)

Be surprised when the wall cracks.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I can just imagine the manager of the plant hopping on the internet and going to the elite Nuclear Powerplant manager's forums asking for advice but not giving all of the info so he hears what he wants to hear.

TampaNukeMGMT posted:

Hey all, so I need to replace my steam generators, however to do this, the contractor quoted me a price of $15 million - just to cut a measly 25x27ft hole in the wall to get the old out and the new in. How bad of an idea is it to DIY this and save us $15 million?

OhioNukeMGMT posted:

Well it depends, is the cement reinforced? Will the building be able to support the weight of the dome? If the structure is sound then I'm sure that you could do it just fine, free of worry, and be able to enjoy the great bonus cheque you'll get from your boss for saving your company that much money!

GeigerPowerGood posted:

Yup, just make sure everything is up to spec and that it won't crumble or self destruct once you cut that much cement away.

TampaNukeMGMT posted:

Thanks for the advice guys! Let's see how this goes! I can't wait for my bonus :)

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

MREBoy posted:

Net result ? This week an entire nuclear power plant was written off as un-fixable. Total dollar cost (spent so far + building a new gas fired plant to replace this one) is up around $3 billion. Number of jobs killed ? around 600.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/energy/article1273794.ece

I see your bad contractors and raise you built in the wrong spot. I argue this is mechanical failure because the guys brains responsible for this were clearly not firing on all cylinders.

Lets put a nuclear power plant...
1) On a island with several million people and only 5 bridges.
2) In the flight path of two regional airports.
3) In the flight path of the local fighter jet producer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoreham_Nuclear_Power_Plant

$6 billion to built it
$186 million to decommission it
$50 million to get rid of the fuel
Not one watt of sellable power produced

Meanwhile, at the same time about 10 miles away a series of small research reactors were leaking and didn't get fixed until the 90s.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

MrYenko posted:

Not to mention that the incredibly valuable aircraft full of people and explosives that snapped it is now most likely too slow to go around, and is now pointed at the water.

I haven't seen the video, but they are supposed to basically "punch it" once they think they've caught the cable in-case they missed or it snaps so that they can take off right away and try again according to a science teacher I once had that used to work on aircraft carriers.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Brigdh posted:

I haven't seen the video, but they are supposed to basically "punch it" once they think they've caught the cable in-case they missed or it snaps so that they can take off right away and try again according to a science teacher I once had that used to work on aircraft carriers.

If the cable soaks up most of your momentum before snapping, you are still going for a swim.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Brigdh posted:

You already land at 95% power or so, depending on the aircraft. They are basically flying it into the deck. You then throttle to 100 on touchdown and retract the speed brakes in case you miss the cable.

Reason being jets don't throttle up quickly. They need to be nearly at full power to begin with or they wouldn't have the time to throttle up in the event they needed to.

EightBit posted:

If the cable soaks up most of your momentum before snapping, you are still going for a swim.

Yeah...there's that too. It's an amazingly dangerous thing that that the military does routinely. It's pretty incredible.

Which brings me to my favorite t-shirt from my brother in law back int he days he was a Navy salvage diver: "FLY NAVY! Divers need the work."

Motronic fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 8, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Motronic posted:

Yeah...there's that too. It's an amazingly dangerous thing that that the military does routinely. It's pretty incredible.

Yeah, they land loaded semi trucks on a moving road. Well, they used too when the F-14's flew. Still the loaded weights are more than my tare weight and I sure as gently caress don't want to fly my loving truck (again) and crash it onto a moving road.

And they do this over and over and over...

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yeah, they land loaded semi trucks on a moving road. Well, they used too when the F-14's flew. Still the loaded weights are more than my tare weight and I sure as gently caress don't want to fly my loving truck (again) and crash it onto a moving road.

And they do this over and over and over...

Sometimes they do it at night!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

On the topic of nuclear reactors, Sweden's first experimental nuclear reactor R1 was built in the basement of the royal institute of technology, smack in the middle of our capital, in a time when nuclear research basically amounted to "let's smack these two things together and see what happens :pseudo:".

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 8, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Collateral Damage posted:

On the topic of nuclear reactors, Sweden's first experimental nuclear reactor R1 was built in the basement of the royal institute of technology, smack in the middle of our capital, in a time when nuclear research basically amounted to "let's smack these two things together and see what happens :pseudo:".

The first self-sustaining nuclear reaction ever took place a dozen years before R1 in the middle of Chicago, in a converted handball court under the grandstands at the University of Chicago's football staduim.
e: links

joat mon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 9, 2013

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Marie Curie :( People at one point just didn't know enough.

A mechanical failure:
The cylinder had been standing at one end of a ~20' x 40' laboratory on the second floor of the chemistry building. It was on a tile covered 4-6" thick concrete floor, directly over a reinforced concrete beam. The explosion blew all of the tile off of the floor for a 5' radius around the tank turning the tile into quarter sized pieces of shrapnel that embedded themselves in the walls and doors of the lab. The blast cracked the floor but due to the presence of the supporting beam, which shattered, the floor held. Since the floor held the force of the explosion was directed upward and propelled the cylinder, sans bottom, through the concrete ceiling of the lab into the mechanical room above. It struck two 3 inch water mains and drove them and the electrical wiring above them into the concrete roof of the building, cracking it. The cylinder came to rest on the third floor leaving a neat 20" diameter hole in its wake. The entrance door and wall of the lab were blown out into the hallway, all of the remaining walls of the lab were blown 4-8" off of their foundations. All of the windows, save one that was open, were blown out into the courtyard.

Look at the appendix in the PDF.

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

MREBoy posted:

You want to talk about management screwing up a power plant ? The following conversation between Crystal River nuclear power plant employees happened sometime in 2009, true story:

:haw: Hey Clem, go get some concrete mix, coupla ladders, trowels, and get a crew set up !
:v: What we doin' Bubba ?
:haw: The eggheads in management found some cracks in somethin' called a "containment dome", and we're gonna fix it ourselves insteada hirin' some fancypants en-gi-neer-in company !
:v: How much did them engyneers want anyway ? !
:haw: 'Bout $15 million bucks I hear !

Net result ? This week an entire nuclear power plant was written off as un-fixable. Total dollar cost (spent so far + building a new gas fired plant to replace this one) is up around $3 billion. Number of jobs killed ? around 600.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/energy/article1273794.ece

True story. Except what you're not mentioning is how the cracks happened in the first place. I was a design intern there, the summers of 2008 and 2009.

During the last refueling outage, they decided to replace the steam generators (basically huge heat exchangers, radioactive coolant in one loop, steam to spin turbines in the other). It was decided by management that in order to shorten the length of the outage by ~3 days (it was a 90 day outage total), they would skip some steps in the concrete detensioning.

Concrete is really bad in tension, but great in compression. Steel is the opposite. The containment structure has to be able to withstand 50psi of pressure - the result of a rupture of one of the main pipes in the containment building, and all the resulting radioactive steam released. So, there's ~3 feet of concrete, and 1 foot of steel. That steel is tensioned, to hold the concrete in compression - even when it's pressurized from the outside. Since they had to cut the concrete to get the new steam generators in, they had to relax that "rebar". Instead of relaxing all of it, they only relaxed some. The differential stress spread cracks through the concrete.

Trying to save 3 days resulted in billions spent in fuel costs alone, and finally a very expensive decommissioning.

Well played, CR3 management. Well played.

greenman100 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 9, 2013

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

lazer_chicken posted:

Seen this video a million times.

Still the most clutch thing I've ever seen someone do.

:stare:

Also that virtually instant eject is also mega-clutch.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

joat mon posted:

The first self-sustaining nuclear reaction ever took place a dozen years before R1 in the middle of Chicago, in a converted handball court under the grandstands at the University of Chicago's football staduim.
e: links

You can't post about CP-1 without noting the safety system. It consisted of a man standing on the balcony and holding either (depending on the source, which tells you just how improvised and undocumented this was) a sharpened axe to cut the rope which lifted the control rods or a bucket of neutron-poisoning cadmium solution.

Then as far as failures go there is the Windscale Fire where we found out what happens when you air-cool graphite reactor cores, then try to anneal them in-place:

quote:

Operators were unsure what to do about the fire. First, they tried to blow the flames out by putting the fans onto full power and increasing the cooling, but this fanned the flames. Tom Hughes and his colleague had already created a fire break by ejecting some undamaged fuel cartridges from around the blaze and Tom Tuohy suggested trying to eject some from the heart of the fire, by bludgeoning the melted cartridges through the reactor and into the cooling pond behind it with scaffolding poles. This proved impossible and the fuel rods refused to budge, no matter how much force was applied. The poles were withdrawn with their ends red hot and, once, a pole was returned red hot and dripping with molten metal. Hughes knew this had to be molten irradiated uranium and this caused serious radiation problems on the charge hoist itself.

"It [the exposed fuel channel] was white hot," said Hughes' colleague on the charge hoist with him, "it was just white hot. Nobody, I mean, nobody, can believe how hot it could possibly be."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shifty Pony posted:

Then as far as failures go there is the Windscale Fire where we found out what happens when you air-cool graphite reactor cores, then try to anneal them in-place:

Graphite moderated reactors are just a bad idea all around. Most of the fissile material released during the Chernobyl disaster wasn't in the inital explosion that blew the lid off the reactor, but by the days-long graphite fire that followed.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 9, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Everything about Windscale was insane. I know it was the infancy of the technology and it was only built essentially for destructive purposes but it really did encapsulate the usual British approach to technology. However if anyone were to build an aircooled nuclear reactor I would have thought it to be the Germans.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm just surprised the fuel and graphite caught fire, not the electrical control system.

Oh wait... what electrical control system?

The bad old days of nuclear power and weapon development were... loving scary.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

You wanted the door unlocked, right?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

The only time that ever happens is when poo poo can't get any worse that day.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
His thumb is so close to the remote unlock button :v:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
On a similar note: I was using my moms 03 325i wagon and had the spare key that could open and start the car but did not have a remote function. Broke the drivers locking mechanism in the handle and was thus unable to open the car. The key would insert but would turn freely. I assume that the mechanism with the key simply triggers an electric switch and not the physical locking mechanism. Had to call AAA to get in. :negative:

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

Chinatown posted:

On a similar note: I was using my moms 03 325i wagon and had the spare key that could open and start the car but did not have a remote function. Broke the drivers locking mechanism in the handle and was thus unable to open the car. The key would insert but would turn freely. I assume that the mechanism with the key simply triggers an electric switch and not the physical locking mechanism. Had to call AAA to get in. :negative:

Didn't the passenger's side have a doorlock? Or is that something that could've gone better in hindsight.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Gorillian Dollars posted:

Didn't the passenger's side have a doorlock? Or is that something that could've gone better in hindsight.

No, E46s have a lock tumbler on the driver's door only.

Unless his key de-synched itself, there's really no need to use the manual lock.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I was waiting for the truck at the end to blow after, that was some serious black smoke it was pumping out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Rudager posted:

I was waiting for the truck at the end to blow after, that was some serious black smoke it was pumping out.

people tune them to do that. look up rolling coal.