Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
There's demos out for both of them now on your console of choice, so you could just try it out for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fingerless Gloves posted:

So now they're both out, could I get some opinions on how DmC's fighting style feels vs Revengeance? I know which I prefer the look of, but I've not played either of them and I'd like an opinion from someone with both.

Revengence is like infinitely better.

DmC's combat is very simplistic and basic. You can do long combo strings but there's no reason to because it gives you both a crappier score and less damage than hitting the enemy over and over with Arbiter.

Revengence's combat is balls-to-the-wall awesome and exciting and requires you to be constantly on the offensive.

Puckanas
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!
Any tips on how to beat Dante on DMD difficulty on the fourth game? He stingers my rear end and takes off three quarters of my health and then comboes me to death :(

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Brad is currently playing DMC1 from the HD collection with Vinny and it's being streamed: http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Mostly for people who might want to see how he handles the older games. Not sure how many he's planning on doing, though.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 24, 2013

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Puckanas posted:

Any tips on how to beat Dante on DMD difficulty on the fourth game? He stingers my rear end and takes off three quarters of my health and then comboes me to death :(

DMD Dante 2 is a hell of a fight, and sometimes I think that it mostly relies on luck since Bustering him won't guarantee your advantage and he can always whip out that shotgun to knock you back.

Here's a good cheese tactic though: camp the central platform and charge your shot (you want a Level 3 shot since the explosion will give you time to charge another), Snatch him when he jumps onto the platform (he can't avoid your grabs in the middle of a jump), then fire away. Rinse and repeat until you win.

Keep an eye on him when he switches styles. If he goes Gunslinger, watch out when he throws the briefcase down because it's basically a smart bomb and you must interrupt him with an attack/grab before it goes off. If he goes Trickster, your window for Snatching/firing a Charge Shot becomes narrower since he gets more dodges, so time them right. If he goes Royal Guard, go for a regular Buster only (not locked-on, don't forget to face him) because more often than not, he'll try to block your attacks. That includes regular shooting AND the time-delayed explosion from a Level 3 Charged Shot, so let it pop away from you lest the AI turns it into a Just Release.

This method will get you zilch for Style points, but at least you'll get the win eventually. Just style on previous enemies if you want an S rank; trying it on Dante is a dangerous gamble if you don't have godlike DMC skills. Dante 2's nastiest trick is switching styles while fighting so if you try to combo him with poor/inconsistent timing on Exceed, he'll recover and possibly go into Royal Guard -> Just Release on your rear end.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 25, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Just resurrecting the thread to say that the boss of mission 19 in DMC3 is one of the worst bosses I've ever fought and I don't know what the hell they were thinking. Does anyone have a good strategy? I have no idea how to best make use of the new "asset" during the second phase of the battle.

EDIT: OK, thanks! He gets REALLY aggressive during the second phase, so I think I might bring the rifle (and Kalina), so I can stay the hell away from him next time.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 3, 2013

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Just resurrecting the thread to say that the boss of mission 19 in DMC3 is one of the worst bosses I've ever fought and I don't know what the hell they were thinking. Does anyone have a good strategy? I have no idea how to best make use of the new "asset" during the second phase of the battle.

If you are getting really frustrated and want to speed things up, holy waters.

Rocket launcher for spawn is good too.

Also, ebony and ivory makes the "asset" attack like a madman >_>

SurrealityCheck fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 3, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Renoistic posted:

DT the fucker in the first half of the battle (if you can), Kalina Ann the worm fuckers, keep your distance and try to let "the asset" attack Arkham so you can focus on dodging his bullshit spear attacks. Keep blasting the worms with Kalina Ann. It's definitely one of the low points of the game. The premise, cutscenes, and music barely make up for it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 3, 2013

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I like to imagine they had a great boss fight ready to go, but then the Capcom Exectuive in Charge of Giant Blob Bosses in Every Game somehow got wind of it and started meddling.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Starting to feel a little helpless here... What do in the last fight against Vergil when he DTs? He's incredible fast, I can't seem to stun him, and he hits like a truck. AND his life replenishes.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I'm sure some people can beat on Vergil in his final DT attacks, but I just dodge like a loon until he cools off. Trickster is definitely your friend for that particular mission.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I finally managed to beat him with the Quicksilver style. Hitting him five or so times seems to do the trick, and Quicksilver helped IMMENSELY. I still had to use a couple of green orbs but oh well. Playing as Vergil is pretty fun but it's a shame there doesn't seem to be any cutscenes after the first mission.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I have never used Quicksilver or Doppleganger.

I have also never levelled the other styles to level 3, so not using them would feel like a waste of experience.

I beat DMC3 for the second time just recently (after accidentally saving Vergil over Dante). I have now started Hard mode am having a blast with my own personal increased skill, as well as my ability power-ups. I really feel like I have some skill at the game now, which makes me feel pretty good. I... I even managed to use Royal Guard a little bit (on the spiders and generic/red enemies). I also have had no boss trouble yet. This is a sweet feeling, and it's what DMC is all about (for me).

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yeah, Quicksilver in general is really useful against Vergil 2 and 3 because you can use it to smash his summoned swords before they can pose a real threat. You can also stun him out of either his DT combos or DT itself, I forget which.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just had to cheese through the Dante 2 fight with items in DMC4 on Devil Hunter, I am terrible at this game. :(

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Just had to cheese through the Dante 2 fight with items in DMC4 on Devil Hunter, I am terrible at this game. :(

Dante is a tricky one on the harder difficulties because he is simply better then you. He has faster and more powerful melee attacks, more powerful guns and his styles and so on. The best way to fight him is to realise that you aren't going to beat him by playing by his rules and start abusing the poo poo out of the devil bringer, exceed and charge-shot level three.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I've finally put rest to an old ghost - I've finally beaten Dante's story for DMC2 on DMD mode :suicide:

loving Bolverk and Trismagia. And that loving fish in Lucia's story. :argh:
The worst enemy in the game is the camera - that and the fact that enemies can attack from off screen with no tells.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 6, 2013

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can understand blowing through DMC2 just out of curiosity, but why on earth would you play through it multiple times on higher difficulties?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Masochism. :v:

Nah, I just fancied playing something rather mindlessly for a few hours, and unlocking some of the costumes. Trish makes the game a lot less painful, if only because she has actual variety to her moves (and Ifrit's basic moveset), and the ability to melee things like Trismagia and the Infested Chopper with Sparda's roundtrip.

The only really really bad parts, were the second Bolverk fight (because of the ridiculous range of his attacks and general shittyness of the camera, and the two wolves slamming into you every five seconds or screwing up the targeting), Trismagia (because the high rate of his attacks, making it hard to get off a roundtrip, and his frequent invulnerabilty make it rather a slog), and the loving fish (because it's always invisible and can't be targetted by lock-on - meaning that the roundtrip is useless - add in sluggish underwater controls, and it's hell).

Some parts actually became more bearable, such as the Argosax fight (where you can now target all of the heads at any time, instead of having to creep just outside of their attack range to not get hit, but close enough for your lock-on to register).

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pesky Splinter posted:

and the loving fish (because it's always invisible and can't be targetted by lock-on - meaning that the roundtrip is useless - add in sluggish underwater controls, and it's hell).

I watched Accounting Nightmare's LP of it, and holy god. What were they thinking?! My head was in my hands with my jaw on the floor when I watched that part.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have never beaten more than a few levels on DMD in any of the games but the new DmC pushed me back into the series and I've finally beaten up to the Dante Crossover in DMC4 (despite owning it on release day).

The progression of "I can barely beat angel guards on Son of Sparda" to "Ball So Hard, Ma'Fuckers trying to slice me, this party cray" is awesome. I can take out every boss with Nero without items, and now I look forward to learning the real ins and outs of ultimate Dante.

Are there any non-boss sections in DMD for Dante that are as bad as Nero's cage gauntlet with the Blitz at the end? Or am I through the woods so to speak? I have made up my mind to get the distortion strike timing down and learn to cheese bosses into paste, because you can really only progress in some spots via cheese.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
The Vatican part with Dante can be quite hard, mostly due to the unfair checkpoint placement.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I have never beaten more than a few levels on DMD in any of the games but the new DmC pushed me back into the series and I've finally beaten up to the Dante Crossover in DMC4 (despite owning it on release day).

The progression of "I can barely beat angel guards on Son of Sparda" to "Ball So Hard, Ma'Fuckers trying to slice me, this party cray" is awesome. I can take out every boss with Nero without items, and now I look forward to learning the real ins and outs of ultimate Dante.

Are there any non-boss sections in DMD for Dante that are as bad as Nero's cage gauntlet with the Blitz at the end? Or am I through the woods so to speak? I have made up my mind to get the distortion strike timing down and learn to cheese bosses into paste, because you can really only progress in some spots via cheese.

Fittingly enough, the woods/jungle area has multiple Chimera Assaults in certain places that'll be a bitch to fight if you don't prepare for them beforehand. IIRC, right after you escape Fortuna Castle the next mission will have you fight three of them at the same time; other areas have, at most, two CAs compared to that. If you don't feel up to it, grind Pandora's gauge on the Blitz you fight before that and dump all your missiles on them. Two is manageable but three is way too much of a pain in the rear end.

Other than that, you're gravy!

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I'm not sure if Bayonetta technically counts as DMC-talk, but I started going through it on Hard, and oh my god that "do three climax attacks" section was a goddamn nightmare. It's not even that it was hard, just loving obnoxious with the camera constantly rotating where I couldn't see anything. Are there any other particularly-obnoxious sections like that I need to look out for, and if so, what are some effective ways to cheese past them?

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm not sure if Bayonetta technically counts as DMC-talk, but I started going through it on Hard, and oh my god that "do three climax attacks" section was a goddamn nightmare. It's not even that it was hard, just loving obnoxious with the camera constantly rotating where I couldn't see anything. Are there any other particularly-obnoxious sections like that I need to look out for, and if so, what are some effective ways to cheese past them?

Are you doing new game + and retaining your abilities? I haven't played the game in over a year but I beat all the difficulties (except easy) because I loved it so much. I remember that part being annoying on my first playthrough on normal but on subsequent playthroughs it was much more manageable because I had a better understanding of the mechanics.

Also whatever Bayonetta calls their secret rooms change depending on the difficulty.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

miscellaneous14 posted:

I played through it recently and found the Golden Glory and Grace fight really obnoxious and lovely for that, and other, reasons. In fact, I found the camera to be an issue a lot of times and the repetitive re-use of the boss fights and the abruptly introduced mini-games really dragged the game down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No lie, I'd pay $60 for a version of Bayonetta that was completely unchanged but cut out the Space Harrier part.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

No lie, I'd pay $60 for a version of Bayonetta that was completely unchanged but cut out the Space Harrier part.

It goes on for so long and it's so garbage, what were they thinking? Anytime the game flashed up an image of a controller with new controls plastered over it I just sighed and sat the controller down for a while.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Dan Didio posted:

It goes on for so long and it's so garbage, what were they thinking? Anytime the game flashed up an image of a controller with new controls plastered over it I just sighed and sat the controller down for a while.

Kamiya worked on space harrier. So he was kind of the driving force behind that.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

miscellaneous14 posted:

I think that all the chapters are unlocked on higher difficulties (not 100% sure about this) so you can just go ahead and skip ahead to chapter 1 in the select screen. That's a really irritating difficulty spike, no need to tear your hair out over it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SurrealityCheck posted:

Kamiya worked on space harrier. So he was kind of the driving force behind that.

He didn't. I think he said in the Bayo commentary that it was one of his favourite games though.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

If you're interested, over at the Platinum Blog Kamiya has basically been doing director's commentary for Bayonetta using a copy he's playing himself for the better part of a year now.

It can be informative if you wanna see some of the decisions they made/didn't make/forgot about during the making of the game.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

He didn't. I think he said in the Bayo commentary that it was one of his favourite games though.

You are completely right, I misremembered the section in question.

blahshi
Apr 29, 2009
It's been a long while since I played through the first DMC, and while most everything is still just as fresh and tight as I remember (barring some noticeable issues I had), is the Final Boss fight just very poorly designed, or did I just forget the best way to take him out?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

If you're interested, over at the Platinum Blog Kamiya has basically been doing director's commentary for Bayonetta using a copy he's playing himself for the better part of a year now.

It can be informative if you wanna see some of the decisions they made/didn't make/forgot about during the making of the game.

I might do just that. So much of that game just bewildered me in how incoherent the gameplay became and how uneven the moment to moment setpieces and scene breaks were.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Here's a link for the lazy:

Kamiya's Bayonetta Commentary

Start at the bottom and work your way up. It's really quite interesting at times.

"Yep."

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I actually enjoy the Space Harrier part, but then again, I like Space Harrier. The motorcycle part is the pits, though. It's glitchy as hell and you can die or fall off for no apparent reason. The boss fight right before that is pretty awful as well, at least on the PS3. After you throw a bus (truck?) in his face you're supposed to jump towards him and beat him up, but half the time the platform she's standing on disappears during the cutscene so you fall down and don't get the chance to get some free hits in. It's really frustrating. Other than that I absolutely adore the game, and wish the PS3 version weren't so inferior.

EDIT: Kamiya's commentary is pretty hilarious at times. "Of course, I'm drinking right now" *slams glass down way too close to the mic*

There are also some interesting tidbits, so it's well worth your time if you're a fan. One thing I love about the game is how just about every stage tease you about the boss well before you actually fight it for real. Some of them even hassle you throughout the whole stage, like Golem and the creepy plant/tentacle thing. It's a great way to build up the fight instead of having them randomly pop up at the end of the stage, like in DMC and frankly, most games. But watching the commentary made me realize that some of the "teases" and many other small but neat things in the game are nothing more than happy coincidences, or the work of a single dedicated team member.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 8, 2013

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

blahshi posted:

It's been a long while since I played through the first DMC, and while most everything is still just as fresh and tight as I remember (barring some noticeable issues I had), is the Final Boss fight just very poorly designed, or did I just forget the best way to take him out?

What phase do you mean? The first part (the space shooter part) sucks, but the second phase is a pretty good fight. The last phase is just a gimmick, you're supposed to Devil Trigger and shoot him after Trish powers up your gun's.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blahshi posted:

Are you playing the HD collection? I believe that boss is glitched there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

blahshi posted:

If you mean Mundus 3, just do the following things:

1) Equip Alastor.
2) Devil Trigger and spam Vortex 2.
3) Sit through mini cutscene.
4) Charge up a shot and fire it to get all your DT meter back.
5) DT and fire a shot.

If you mean 2 then just DT and jump up onto the rocks and sword him a bunch also something involving the shotgun. I can't stand that fight on Normal let alone DMD.

• Locked thread