Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

leica posted:

Nobody. I'm just a big fan of DSOTM and don't think it should be hosed with. The Lip's cover was horrible imo. Covers of songs are cool but doing whole albums like Tommy is a bit ridiculous. Make your own album.

Nothing is above being hosed with, as far as I'm concerned. I thought the Lips' version was pretty fascinating, and you can't say that they didn't thoroughly remake the album in their own image. Of course, maybe part of my appreciation comes from the fact that I am just thoroughly loving sick of Dark Side at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

"this is the definitive dark side of the moon"
- wayne coyne and the flaming lips april 6th, 20never

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cool, so we all have our opinions on it. Mine is it's stupid, and the Lips cover sucked.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's much better live. They did it last year at FPSF with Phantogram and somebody else and it was great.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I don't like Peaches on the album. I used to think The Great Gig in the Sky was alright with her, but listening to it again I think its pretty weird for some reason.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I really liked Breathe, but I could take or leave the rest of the album. Songs like Us and Them were too close to the original to be that interesting and other songs just didn't work for me. It doesn't help that I've been over DSOTM for years, the only Pink Floyd album I can really listen to anymore without getting bored is Animals.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
That stuff about Wayne exploiting Drozd is really, really gross. Like, I have trouble understanding how they could remain friends and colleagues after that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well if you want to keep the ball rolling I imagine you'd have to put up with a lot of poo poo. It's how Steven makes a living, and he has a family now so what is he gonna do? Like a lot of bands that have been around that long, they just sort of tolerate each other. Although that must have been a tough one because Wayne has really been over the top lately. I'm sure Steven would love to punch him in the head at times.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I thought it was like Wayne saying Steven was making jams that sounded like they were from a suicidal person, not really that he was explicitly suicidal.

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~
I think people are making a mountain out of a misread molehill and Steven will always hold Wayne in high esteem for giving him livelihood/artistic outlet/not firing him for out-of-control drug abuse and various recidivisms but that's just me.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
I thought their Dark Side of the Moon cover album started off really strong and then just began to run out of steam by the time they got to Money. It was like they went into it all excited and passionate and around the middle they began to just think "gently caress, we're tired, just poo poo the rest of the songs out."

Wayne over exaggerating Steven's drug use is pretty sickening, yeah.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Wayne will seemingly do anything for attention and it's annoying as all gently caress. Playing up Steven's problems is tactless.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I think people are making a mountain out of a misread molehill and Steven will always hold Wayne in high esteem for giving him livelihood/artistic outlet/not firing him for out-of-control drug abuse and various recidivisms but that's just me.

Did you read the interview? Steven told the story and didn't sound very happy about it, there was nothing to misread because it came from the horse's mouth.

And I think Wayne needs Steven a hell of a lot more than vise versa but that's just me. If at any point in time past, present or future Wayne fired/fires Steven the Lips are done.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I wonder if the Zaireeka LP is gonna have the fifth disc in its mix.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

WASDF posted:

I wonder if the Zaireeka LP is gonna have the fifth disc in its mix.

It's not going to be a mixdown. Four LPs.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Oh, was the fifth one mix-down related? I thought it was just like an extra disc Steven made to add more sounds.

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~

leica posted:

Did you read the interview? Steven told the story and didn't sound very happy about it, there was nothing to misread because it came from the horse's mouth.

I think it's a guy who backslid into hard drug abuse being grouchy and that people are letting the "Wayne is losing it!" narrative color their interpretation of events. At any rate, trying to affect more outrage than Drozd seems to feel over the deal is a little much.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I think it's a guy who backslid into hard drug abuse being grouchy and that people are letting the "Wayne is losing it!" narrative color their interpretation of events. At any rate, trying to affect more outrage than Drozd seems to feel over the deal is a little much.

Yeah, I agree. We're just speculating. Besides, Wayne's exploited Drozd's drug problems for songs before. This isn't really new.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I honestly can't see the Lips doing anything interesting with the Stone Roses as source material. If it sounds faithful, it's pointless, and if it sounds radically different... they should just make their own record? Stone Roses songs are very simple, it's like someone saying they're gonna cover REM's Document or Slanted and Enchanted.

Also the second Stone Roses album is fantastic, I've never understood people hating on it.

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~

crankdatbatman posted:

Yeah, I agree. We're just speculating. Besides, Wayne's exploited Drozd's drug problems for songs before. This isn't really new.

It goes both ways -- Drozd has shot up on camera to provide material for what was essentially a feature-length promotional video and IIRC he and Wayne currently have an equal or close financial stake in the band. This is a band that from the beginning has operated under fundamentally different attitudes about the role of drug use, clinical depression, et al. in their art and the promotion thereof and people shouldn't forget that fact just because they're mad about Wayne splitting with Michelle or growing generally boring or whatever.

A SHAMEFUL CAT fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 11, 2013

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

I wasn't implying any more outrage on Steven's part then what he portrayed in the interview, but yeah in my opinion it's a lovely thing to do. I highly doubt that at this point in their career that Steven feels obligated to let Wayne exploit his issues.

And for the record I don't think Wayne is losing it, I just think he's being an inconsiderate dick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also, I don't think Steven shooting up on camera was done with any conscious knowledge it would eventually be in the documentary, especially since I believe at that point nobody even knew the footage was going to become one. Bradley for a long time was just filming everything the Lips did, the idea of making it a docu didn't come along for awhile. Again, that's going off my memory of what they've said, anyway.

Also Steven was pretty hosed up at the time and I doubt any of his decisions had much thought behind them, surely not "I bet doing this on camera will eventually somehow make me money". If I'm remembering the scene right he even seems to think nobody would ever see it.

Wayne being a dick is still entirely possible, too, of course.

e: The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Flaming Lips 2013: You used to be cool, Dad.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

leica posted:

And for the record I don't think Wayne is losing it, I just think he's being an inconsiderate dick.

This thread seems to like to bring up Wayne being a total dick lately. Outside of the grenade incident and this situation that is at the moment no more than mere speculation, what other things has he done?

e:

precision posted:

Also, I don't think Steven shooting up on camera was done with any conscious knowledge it would eventually be in the documentary, especially since I believe at that point nobody even knew the footage was going to become one. Bradley for a long time was just filming everything the Lips did, the idea of making it a docu didn't come along for awhile. Again, that's going off my memory of what they've said, anyway.

Also Steven was pretty hosed up at the time and I doubt any of his decisions had much thought behind them, surely not "I bet doing this on camera will eventually somehow make me money". If I'm remembering the scene right he even seems to think nobody would ever see it.

What I got from that whole thing was that he realized how hosed up he actually was on heroin, and that filming him shooting up was to provide physical evidence of how lovely heroin addiction can be, not to be all "lol guys drugs are cool watch this poo poo". That was just my own personal take on it though.

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 11, 2013

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

crankdatbatman posted:

This thread seems to like to bring up Wayne being a total dick lately. Outside of the grenade incident and this situation that is at the moment no more than mere speculation, what other things has he done?

The internet slapfight with Erykah Badu comes to mind.

At this point I don't care to know any of the behind the scenes bullshit or what Wayne's latest stunt is (or really anything he has to say). I just want to hear the music.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

CPL593H posted:

In that Amanda Palmer video her directed there's a line where somebody calls her Erykah Badon't.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Happy Hippo posted:

In that Amanda Palmer video her directed there's a line where somebody calls her Erykah Badon't.

That is hilariously juvenile.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

At this point I don't care to know any of the behind the scenes bullshit or what Wayne's latest stunt is (or really anything he has to say). I just want to hear the music.

I might not understand the situation that happened, but I didn't think Wayne was being a dick. She didn't understand what she was getting into and was upset that they showed footage of her (or her sister?) naked being covered in fake jizz and blood. Like, what the gently caress did she expect? "Just show my head being covered in this semen. I'm naked, sure but that doesn't mean I got naked for this video."

I also found Wayne's tweets like "Here's a pic of me and Erika smiling, off camera I'm holding a gun to her head." pretty funny.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 11, 2013

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~
Yeah that was just a case of Badu being arbitrary more than anything (even if guns were jumped re: the release of the video without her approving the edit.) I was more offended by Wayne showing up on music newsfeeds every two weeks with dumb publicity stunts and starfuckings. The Wayne-Steven thing mainly seems a quibble about a certain word choice used by one party -- their versions of the events in The Terror's development don't actually contradict, and frankly it's more likely that a drug addict is downplaying the extent to which his last heroin experience derailed his life.

A SHAMEFUL CAT fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 11, 2013

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

I honestly can't see the Lips doing anything interesting with the Stone Roses as source material. If it sounds faithful, it's pointless, and if it sounds radically different... they should just make their own record? Stone Roses songs are very simple, it's like someone saying they're gonna cover REM's Document or Slanted and Enchanted.

Also the second Stone Roses album is fantastic, I've never understood people hating on it.

If they end up doing this I hope they plan on doing a few shows where they play the whole thing through, like they did with DSOTM (did they play any Crimson King shows? Didn't follow that record much). As a Mancunian, seeing The Lips play that in my hometown would more than make up for the crappy reunion shows the actual Stone Roses put on last year (and the fact that I missed out on tickets to said shows).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Also the hand grenade at the airport incident, then putting the grenade up for sale.

A SHAMEFUL CAT posted:

and frankly it's more likely that a drug addict is downplaying the extent to which his last heroin experience derailed his life.

Whether he's downplaying it or not, Wayne isn't helping the issue, that's the point.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 11, 2013

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Lord, who gives a gently caress. It's like a bunch of teen girls obsessing over Justin Bieber getting pulled over.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well it's a Flaming Lips discussion thread, and it's relevant to the discussion?

If it wasn't a topic of discussion I suppose it wouldn't be "obsessed" about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Blast Fantasto posted:

Lord, who gives a gently caress. It's like a bunch of teen girls obsessing over Justin Bieber getting pulled over.

It's really not. Bands like the Lips, and musicians like Wayne, are totally different to Justin Bieber or the like because they always have perpetuated an image that they're no different from the fans, that there's a more organic and real connection between Performer and Listener. Whether that's actually true can be debated on a case by case basis but is beside the point.

Like, when I read that book about how Michael Stipe is a terrible rear end in a top hat of a boyfriend, it really did make me a bit sad. Maybe that's dumb, but it's true. Chan Marshall's Twitter feed makes me legit worried for her, too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

It's really not. Bands like the Lips, and musicians like Wayne, are totally different to Justin Bieber or the like because they always have perpetuated an image that they're no different from the fans, that there's a more organic and real connection between Performer and Listener. Whether that's actually true can be debated on a case by case basis but is beside the point.

Like, when I read that book about how Michael Stipe is a terrible rear end in a top hat of a boyfriend, it really did make me a bit sad. Maybe that's dumb, but it's true. Chan Marshall's Twitter feed makes me legit worried for her, too.

Normal people don't make good art. I just accept the fact that most of the people who make stuff I like are crazy assholes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

Normal people don't make good art. I just accept the fact that most of the people who make stuff I like are crazy assholes.

That is absolutely true, no doubt. There are exceptions though, David Lynch is a super normal/nice guy for example, and on the musical front you've got people like Lee Ranaldo and Carrie Brownstein.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

precision posted:

That is absolutely true, no doubt. There are exceptions though, David Lynch is a super normal/nice guy for example, and on the musical front you've got people like Lee Ranaldo and Carrie Brownstein.

On the other hand there's Roman Polanski, Prince, and Kanye West.

edit: Or poo poo, Michael Jackson. He was the best there was at what he did.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Artists are normal people. There are plenty of examples of normal artists and weird artists. I don't think there's really any connection between Michael Jackson the musician and Michael Jackson the kid-fucker.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Artists are normal people. There are plenty of examples of normal artists and weird artists. I don't think there's really any connection between Michael Jackson the musician and Michael Jackson the kid-fucker.

I don't actually believe that he was a child molester, but his life was certainly very unusual and he was clearly mentally ill.

But anyway, I think great art comes from having a different perspective on the world than the average person. That's why so many great artists are weirdos and nutcases.

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~
Wayne is generally agreed to be weird and pushy by most who know him, but -- seeing as he has the best track record in popular music of handling a band member who's addicted to heroin we should probably explore the possibility that in this instance he may be acting inconsiderate like a fox and that it isn't just a thoughtless album shill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jeff Wiiver posted:

I'm a firm believer that drugs can help though. Ask Stephen King

• Locked thread