Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven for a Secret
Apr 5, 2009
Thanks for the advice about the wedding! I guess I'll wait and see how I'm doing, and just hope for the best. I'd hate to miss it, but I'd also hate to go into labor three hours from my hospital, and I have somewhat unusual anesthesia needs, so I don't want to show up at a random hospital instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

I have a maybe sort of weird request...Does anyone have any pregnancy workout DVDs they particularly enjoy?

Now that I'm finally starting to feel a bit better and I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight I really need to make up for my sitting around 24/7 when I was puking my brains out.

I like yoga stuff, but also considering getting some little hand weights too.

I'd prefer things I can order from amazon. :)

Bubble Babble
Apr 12, 2004

talk talk talk
blah blah blah
HAND ALLIGATOR
I was actually wondering about this sort of thing too. We lift fairly regularly. Is there anything I should avoid? I'm 18 weeks today actually. For squats I'm spreading my legs pretty far apart, but it's manageable. I'm going to ask my midwife at my next appointment too.

I do have to say I really like most of my prenatal yoga class too, with the exception of some of the cheesy aspects.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Bubble Babble posted:

I was actually wondering about this sort of thing too. We lift fairly regularly. Is there anything I should avoid? I'm 18 weeks today actually. For squats I'm spreading my legs pretty far apart, but it's manageable. I'm going to ask my midwife at my next appointment too.

I do have to say I really like most of my prenatal yoga class too, with the exception of some of the cheesy aspects.

I'd be careful with deadlifts, anything that puts a lot of stress on your pelvic floor muscles basically. Also you'll probably notice as your belly grows that your abs will become useless ;)

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Greycious posted:

I have a maybe sort of weird request...Does anyone have any pregnancy workout DVDs they particularly enjoy?

I'm just flopping about on my living room floor doing a mixture of this
and some of the exercises from this brochure (the text is in Norwegian, sorry). And I spend a lot of time sitting on my fitness ball, but that's primarily because my butt prefers it to the sofa. I've just written the exercises down on a sheet of paper, and I put on an episode of something entertaining and go to town.

I really prefer bodyweight exercises (I think they're called...?) right now, since it feels much more predictable and low impact, and as my bump and me in general grows, the weight will increase gradually all by itself.

Most importantly: Remember your kegels, woman!

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Can teething cause babies to become a bit vomity?

In the last week my little guy has been bringing up some of his milk, only a tablespoon or two worth, up to a half-hour after eating.
Sometimes it's after he's been a bit active and other times he brings it up while just sitting/lying down.

I'm trying to keep him settled for longer after each bottle so he's not jumping/wriggling around too much and causing himself to be sick.
It looks like cottage cheese mixed with a mucus-type something (sorry if that's gross). I was thinking perhaps because he's a drool machine at the moment, he's swallowing a lot of it and that's what's making him ill.

He's happy otherwise, there's not any excessive grizzling/crying/general upset other than with his gums. There's no temperature.

Is this just a thing that happens?

Should I be asking this in the parenting thread because he's 4 months now? I forget how old the cut off is for this one.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I'm knocked up. At least that's what the stick I had a wee on says. I have no idea how far along, because I have never, ever, in my life had a normal period. I have maybe four or five a year. I am constantly on the verge of throwing up, which is how I twigged I might be pregnant.

I am completely ambivalent about this.

I'm in a foreign country (actually, a foreign-foreign country, as I'm an American who has recently gotten UK leave to remain who is now in France for the next year plus)where my command of the language isn't great. I think I've found an OBGYN who speaks ok English, but I have to go through their office staff, too, who don't speak it.

My husband won't actually discuss anything with me, aside from telling me I should take more language lessons so I'm fluent by the time I'm delivering. All I can get out of him is that he's pretty set that I'm not going home for this. So I get to deliver my kid at a hospital that ran human experiments in WWII and where I don't speak the language. At least my mother-in-law might come over to my side. When I'm allowed to tell her.

And here we were planning to go Interailing this summer.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Molly Bloom posted:

I'm knocked up. At least that's what the stick I had a wee on says. I have no idea how far along, because I have never, ever, in my life had a normal period. I have maybe four or five a year. I am constantly on the verge of throwing up, which is how I twigged I might be pregnant.

I'm in a foreign country (actually, a foreign-foreign country, as I'm an American who has recently gotten UK leave to remain who is now in France for the next year plus)where my command of the language isn't great. I think I've found an OBGYN who speaks ok English, but I have to go through their office staff, too, who don't speak it.

My husband won't actually discuss anything with me, aside from telling me I should take more language lessons so I'm fluent by the time I'm delivering. All I can get out of him is that he's pretty set that I'm not going home for this. So I get to deliver my kid at a hospital that ran human experiments in WWII and where I don't speak the language. At least my mother-in-law might come over to my side. When I'm allowed to tell her.

Where are your inlaws based? Could you go back to the UK for the birth? Not that that would be ideal either I can imagine but at least it's closer than the US, you can get there without flying and the language barrier won't be there.

Hope everything works out okay, it can be a shock to the system even when you plan it.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

Where are your inlaws based? Could you go back to the UK for the birth? Not that that would be ideal either I can imagine but at least it's closer than the US, you can get there without flying and the language barrier won't be there.

Hope everything works out okay, it can be a shock to the system even when you plan it.

Yeah, I would prefer to go back to the UK for it, if it's going to happen. Has anyone else had trouble convincing a partner that early on is really the time to talk about this poo poo?

I mean, am I freaking out for legitimate reasons?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Molly Bloom posted:

Yeah, I would prefer to go back to the UK for it, if it's going to happen. Has anyone else had trouble convincing a partner that early on is really the time to talk about this poo poo?

I think having to undergo any kind of medical procedure in a country where you don't speak the language is going to be scary, and first time pregnancies (which I'm assuming this is) are going to be worse just because you don't know what to expect. I'm on my fourth and there's still stuff that comes up that I don't know if it's normal or not. That doesn' mean that it's automatically going to be an awful experience but feeling wary about it seems a pretty normal reaction.

Edit: and yeah, your husband sounds like he is being a bit of a dick. My husband isn't the greatest at talking about pregnancy stuff (I think it bores him to be honest) but if there were any real issues we had to decide on including whether to continue a pregnancy then I'm pretty sure he would understand it had to be talked about earlier rather than later.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 6, 2013

wutheringbites
Nov 3, 2008

I mostly lurk this thread since my sister is pregnant and she likes the info and stories from here, but it sounds like your husband could be a hell of lot more supportive. An unexpected pregnancy can be a shock, but refusing to talk about it and telling you that you can't inform your MIL isn't helpful. He needs to be willing to communicate on this issue cos it sounds like he's basically told you that no, you can't go to the UK to give birth, without discussion. Even if staying in France is the best choice there needs to be some back-and-forth discussion on it. He can't just decide for you that you're staying in France.

By refusing to talk about it and just telling you to learn the language better it just sounds like he's punishing you for getting pregnant or something.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Molly Bloom posted:

I'm not sure how to be delicate about this, but are you sure you want to be pregnant and have a kid? You don't have to stay pregnant.

It sounds like you really need some people that you feel like are on your "side", not that there really should be sides in something like this. Your husband doesn't have the right to just straight-up dictate where you give birth. Have you guys discussed WHY he thinks its so important that you not go home to give birth? Is it a citizenship thing, maybe? It IS scary to not speak the language when you need medical care. I'm an American expat living in Quebec, but I was lucky that my midwife and her whole team spoke excellent English. If I had ended up at one of the area hospitals instead, I'd need to hire a doula who could translate for us. Your husband just saying "You need to learn French" isn't helpful in the least (heard that a few times myself). Having a baby in a foreign country is really hard and lonely, especially if you don't have close friends or any family nearby. Communicating well and working as a team to get poo poo done is crucial, and it's made harder by the fact that the routines (especially sleep and free time) of your lives are totally changed by the presence of a kid. If you're not communicating well now, I'd be afraid that the next few years of your life will be miserable unless/until he decides to start talking. Just my $0.02 as an expat and a mom. Ideally, I would have waited til we were back in The States before getting pregnant, but that's just not how it worked out for us.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Molly Bloom posted:

Has anyone else had trouble convincing a partner that early on is really the time to talk about this poo poo?

Your husband is definitely being unneccessarily dickish about brushing off your concerns and refusing to talk about them with you, but my husband was reluctant to discuss long-term planning and wasn't very keen on talking much about the baby very early on, because he was afraid of getting his hopes up and then have something go wrong, and ours was very much a planned pregnancy.
If you've yet to see a doctor and only have a positive pee-stick so far, I can understand his reluctance to attach too much feelings and plans and hopes to the pregnancy yet (if that's the reason for it), but he shouldn't brush you off like that.

Maybe you could try asking him why he doesn't want to talk about this with you. If it's because he's concerned that something might go wrong, then the whole "what will we do nine months from now"-discussion can wait a couple of weeks, but your worries about finding health care you're comfortable with is an immediate concern that he should take seriously.

As for the WWII-hospital, I'm pretty sure they've replaced the staff since then, so regardless of where you end up giving birth, I don't think evil Nazi doctors will be a problem :)

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Sockmuppet posted:

As for the WWII-hospital, I'm pretty sure they've replaced the staff since then, so regardless of where you end up giving birth, I don't think evil Nazi doctors will be a problem :)

It's just a creepy place, which adds to the misery at the moment.

I'm not actually sure I want to be pregnant yet. I think his feedback will help on that. If he is holding out in a 'don't want to get my hopes up' way, I can deal with that. But this is a man who waited until they were nearly ready to deport me to marry me so I can't tell.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

Molly Bloom posted:

Yes and no. If there's a reasonable chance at all you want to invest in seeing this pregnancy through you probably do need to work out how far along you are. Too early on and discussing may well be a moot point since something like 20-31% of early pregnancies fail after implantation as a normal consequence. Roughly 11.5% loss rate in pregnancies 5-10 weeks along (Goldstein, 1994). An early pregnancy dating/viability ultrasound after a blood test confirming your beta HCG levels being in the correct range is what the docs here usually do if the mother can't give accurate dates of her last period or if she doesn't have regular cycles. If they scan you and the embryo measures 10mm or over, or if you're 7+ weeks along and they see a good heartbeat, the loss rate statistic drops to about 2%.

I had this discussion with my brother just last week, whose wife was 7 weeks along at the time, who had already started telling people she was pregnant before they had had their early scan. Having said that, I'm a fan of hoping for the best but nonetheless preparing for the absolute worst so your mileage may vary. Some days "hoping for the best" doesn't even feature particularly highly, just the buckling down with a solid contingency plan part. It's never too early to discuss "what the hell do we do if/when we get pregnant" in a marriage, pregnancy or no, imo.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Molly Bloom posted:

I would go against my husband and tell my mother in law, if I were you. I'm sorry, but security and physical well being when it comes to a child you both made trumps whatever uncomfortability/supportive issues he has. You need a support system, and if he refuses to step up to the plate then you have a right to go find one if you're going to go through with this pregnancy. You and the hubby don't sound very thrilled about this situation to begin with though, so don't feel you have to stay pregnant at this point in life.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
My husband was supposed to deploy on the 22nd, but we just got word that he's deploying next Friday. This week has been very hectic. He's been at base out-processing, and I've been trying to get everything sorted at home while watching the baby. With the way things are going, we'll have zero time alone together before he leaves for 8 months, and I'm feeling crushed.

Everybody keeps telling me to enjoy the time I have left with him, but it's difficult with a teething baby, deciding what gets put into storage and what goes with me (I'll be staying with the in-laws so we can use the money from this deployment as a down payment on a house when he gets back), coordinating when my in-laws will be coming to help move furniture, coordinating visits with family that want to see him before he leaves, etc.

There are times when he's at the base and Stephen is inconsolable, and I have to put him in his swing for a few minutes so I can go to the bathroom and cry a little. I feel incredibly overwhelmed and saddened that he's going to miss Stephen's first birthday. I know this is even harder for him though, so I try not to complain.

While he's gone, I'm going to start working again. My in-laws said they would watch the baby for me while I do. I'm going to chip away at my debt so we can hopefully get a nice loan for the house when he gets back. I'd also like to lose the rest of the weight I gained while pregnant. Of the 40lbs I gained, I have about 16 more to go, which is definitely do-able in 8 months.

I'm trying hard to focus on the positives. It's just difficult. :(

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Bardeh posted:

Any tips for excessive crying? My son is about 6 weeks old, and during the evenings when he's not feeding it's very difficult to get him to settle, and he'll scream and cry for up to an hour at a time.

We've tried burping him, taking him to a dark quiet room, singing gently to him, and just holding him, but sometimes none of them will work. My girlfriend finds it quite upsetting (and exhausting) and she ends up just feeding him a lot because it's the only thing that'll settle him down for a while.

Is there such a thing as too much feeding for such a young baby? During the day he'll feed maybe every couple of hours, but in the evening when he's being so fussy it can be more frequent than that. He's also very clingy most of the time, and won't tolerate Mum not being in constant physical contact unless he's fast asleep.

I guess most of this is just normal behaviour for a young baby, but we just want a little reassurance. :)

Also, bonus pics of the little dude!

This sounds like Russell 3.0; sometimes he just gets fussy, but sometimes it's gas, but other times he's hungry even though he emptied mom's boobs and drank 4oz of formula in one sitting and you think "holy gently caress how can this tiny kid eat so much?" Other times he eats off one boob and falls asleep.

We are trying to slow him down a bit with the eating; he'll eat so fast that he pukes it back up. We also figured out he swallows a lot of air and gets gassy, so we are using the gas drops (which really just help all the air collect into one big bubble so you have to burp him regularly during feelings or they won't help anything). That's made a huge difference. He also gets reflux so we keep him upright for a half hour after eating.

And then sometimes he just wants to be fussy so it's a lot of trying different things, different positions, different noises, etc. Sometimes a bath calms him down, sometimes shushing him (loudly... Like excessively loudly) works. Earlier this week mom was trying to sleep and he would scream unless I held him in my left arm, sideways, somewhat draped over my arm with his neck near the inside of my elbow joint, with my hand grabbing his right leg. Literally any other position or situation and he would freak out... I just had to laugh. The boy knew what he wanted and wouldn't settle for anything else.

Just keep on surviving day by day; we are praying for the 3-4 month mark where he'll sleep better.

Oh and as a quick follow up: mom is taking delight in her baby and they are bonding well. Stopping all the craziness around trying to exclusively breastfeed was the best decision ever. It's still hard, we still aren't getting much sleep, but the house is a much happier place. He has started smiling at us occasionally; it melts your heart. Yesterday he started laughing maniacally in his sleep, so we are looking forward to his first laugh.

Also single parents: HOLY gently caress, how do they not go on a murderous rampage? Neither of us could imagine trying to do this alone. I have about 1000% more sympathy for single parents.

P.S. What is the normal age to transition to the parenting thread?

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
3 months! And yeah, I don't know how single parents do it. Or parents with multiples, or other young children. I can only handle one baby and I have help!

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Single mom to be, here. I'm pretty terrified about how I'm going to handle doing it solo. (Father is not in the picture, in my case.) Luckily, I have an incredibly supportive family and friends who I can rely on to help a bit. I mean, they won't be able to help with 3am feedings on no sleep and things like that, but knowing I'm not *actually* doing it completely alone will be a huge help.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Stealing the thunder of soft kitty, welcome to the world Eloise Rose, born 36 weeks 6 days via C-Section from being breech, low fluid, G.D. on the mommy, etc.. She's perfect other than obvious Developmental dysplasia in one hip. We've already had our request for a referral put in to deal with it. Still in the hospital for another 24 hours at least and then we head home where things aren't quite all the way set up from expecting another 2-3 weeks before birth. Exciting times!

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Hughlander posted:

Stealing the thunder of soft kitty, welcome to the world Eloise Rose, born 36 weeks 6 days via C-Section from being breech, low fluid, G.D. on the mommy, etc.. She's perfect other than obvious Developmental dysplasia in one hip. We've already had our request for a referral put in to deal with it. Still in the hospital for another 24 hours at least and then we head home where things aren't quite all the way set up from expecting another 2-3 weeks before birth. Exciting times!

Oh, she is beautiful! Great name, too :)

This thread is where all the worlds cute babies come from.

I am 34 weeks now, and it seems like there is no relief from the discomfort anymore. My hips around to my groin are constantly sore, and sitting on my yoga ball doesn't help anymore. Heartburn has reached apocalyptic levels of terrible, but is still controllable with gaviscon as long as I don't lay on my right side for any length of time. I'm starting to think about just using oxygen instead of getting the epidural during labor, despite being out of shape, just because usually the only way I can effectively deal with pain is by walking around or being free to move.. how idiotic an idea is this?

I'm getting very anxious to meet this little boy.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2017

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Dandy Shrew posted:

I am 34 weeks now, and it seems like there is no relief from the discomfort anymore. My hips around to my groin are constantly sore, and sitting on my yoga ball doesn't help anymore. Heartburn has reached apocalyptic levels of terrible, but is still controllable with gaviscon as long as I don't lay on my right side for any length of time. I'm starting to think about just using oxygen instead of getting the epidural during labor, despite being out of shape, just because usually the only way I can effectively deal with pain is by walking around or being free to move.. how idiotic an idea is this?

I have a ridiculously low tolerance for pain and had the same idea - if I can't move around it's much worse, so I wanted to avoid an epidural. I was able to do so, but couldn't really go farther than about three feet from the bed because I had to stay connected to the monitors; if you'd be okay with that kind of restricted movement (should you end up in the same situation), and you don't set your heart on avoiding an epidural no matter what, I don't think it's an idiotic idea at all.

The nurses at the hospital where I delivered actually had me pick a codeword so I could say "Make the pain stop, make it stoppppppp!!!" and not have that interpreted as an actual request for an epidural unless I added the codeword. (I ended up saying "Uh, how about 'codeword'?" because it wasn't a question I was expecting...)

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Inductions are harder to endure and less successful if you start them before you've dilated or gone into labor at all. I would just keep that in mind when it comes to asking to be induced. If your body can get anything started in any way, it will go a lot easier for you. That's why people do things like nipple stimulation, walking around, etc.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 21, 2017

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

sudont posted:

Single mom to be, here. I'm pretty terrified about how I'm going to handle doing it solo. (Father is not in the picture, in my case.) Luckily, I have an incredibly supportive family and friends who I can rely on to help a bit. I mean, they won't be able to help with 3am feedings on no sleep and things like that, but knowing I'm not *actually* doing it completely alone will be a huge help.

I was a single parent from about 2 weeks after I found out I was pregnant with my older boys. It sounds weird but I don't think I found it harder than with my youngest, just different. But a supportive family really does make all the difference.

A SPECIAL UNICORN
Apr 12, 2006

REALLY FUCKING SPECIAL

A SPECIAL UNICORN fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 15, 2019

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Adorable baby girl! And where can I get that cow outfit?

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sheri posted:

And where can I get that cow outfit?

Haha, that was my thought. "Yes, yes, cute baby, in a cow onesie :swoon: "

A special unicorn, if you have time, do you mind writing a little about your experience with water birth?
My hospital offers it, and it sounds very interesting, but I don't know anyone who's tried it.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Shut up! How cute is she?! :3: I'd just kiss her to bits if she was mine.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Holy cow that is one adorable cow-baby. I mean, EXCEPTIONALLY, aggressively cute even.

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.

Greycious posted:

Now that I'm finally starting to feel a bit better and I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight I really need to make up for my sitting around 24/7 when I was puking my brains out.

I like yoga stuff, but also considering getting some little hand weights too.

I'd prefer things I can order from amazon. :)

I'm sorry your 1st trimester was pukey...mine was just constant sleepiness. I ran a long race at 9 weeks and then promptly slept until week 14. The 10 Minute Solution: Pregnancy Pilates (Amazon Prime, yo!) is a breeze if you're a super yoga type/exercise babe, but I really liked how low-pressure it was. You can work out for 10 minutes or 50 — whatever you're feeling that day. And it has some weighted stuff which is great...I started with 20 minutes of that and 30 minutes on the elliptical and am up to 50 min. of pilates (again, they're really low intensity) and an hour on the machine.

However, if you're a lifter, I have no advice. I quit Crossfit when I was 12 weeks because I'm a wuss. I do the kettlebell workout that came with my 20 lb. weight (also from Amazon!).

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008
I think I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I have had a middle ear infection twice, and an outer infection once (officially diagnosed, but I believe I had a fourth one which just passed naturally) since mid November. I am having intense ear pain again that extends to jaw pain and a head ache...again. Is this really that normal during pregnancy? I can't stand being in pain like this...I know I only have a month left at the most during this pregnancy, but it's getting hard to handle. I'm just really concerned about the baby because I've had three different antibiotics and I'm taking the max tylenol I can, which worries me. Is this abnormal? I know none of you are probably doctors, but I'm at the point where I need to hear either I'm not alone and this is normal, or this sounds really bad and I should look at a specialist.

Hastings fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 10, 2013

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

Hastings posted:

I think I am on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I have had a middle ear infection twice, and an outer infection once (officially diagnosed, but I believe I had a fourth one which just passed naturally) since mid November. I am having intense ear pain again that extends to jaw pain and a head ache...again. Is this really that normal during pregnancy? I can't stand being in pain like this...I know I only have a month left at the most during this pregnancy, but it's getting hard to handle. I'm just really concerned about the baby because I've had three different antibiotics and I'm taking the max tylenol I can, which worries me. Is this abnormal? I know none of you are probably doctors, but I'm at the point where I need to hear either I'm not alone and this is normal, or this sounds really bad and I should look at a specialist.

It sounds like a pain and a hassle, but not like anything really serious. It can't hurt to see an ENT but it could just be that you have swelling and congestion due to pregnancy which leads to infection. I've had a stuffy nose and sinus problems the entire 9 months I've been pregnant.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

A special unicorn, if you have time, do you mind writing a little about your experience with water birth?
My hospital offers it, and it sounds very interesting, but I don't know anyone who's tried it.

I've not had a water birth myself, but I was birthing partner to my sister upon the birth of her third child (her husband was meant to be her partner, but was unfortunately in a different ward of the same hospital, having fractured his cheekbone and jaw playing rugby, it was a really fun couple of days for our family).

The water pool was in the "Midwife-Led" section of our local hospital, where they encourage you to have as natural a labour as possible (in the UK you tend to go to Labour Ward with all the doctors if you've had a problematic pregnancy or you need an epidural or C-section. If you're totally healthy you can go to the midwife-led section, where they do water births, hypnotherapy, birthing in all sorts of funky positions.)

So she was healthy, and we went in, they determined her waters hadn't broken but she was contracting. The pool itself is about six-foot by four foot, nice warm water. As soon as she went into the water (wearing a bikini top!) she totally relaxed. It was amazing. She went from being rather angry and tearful about her sore back to chilled out and a little bit dopey. She could still feel the contractions, but the water and the heat just seemed to support her muscles and smooth out the worst of the pain.

They turned the lights down low and she had some classical music playing too, which was nice. There was a cannister of gar-and-air nearby, but she didn't need to use it. There was a young midwife sitting in the corner that checked my sisters temperature, rate of contractions and checked the babys heartbeat with a sort of waterproof, portable monitor thing every fifteen minutes or so, but otherwise she didn't interfere.

It was all very calm and peaceful, and we just had a nice chat about baby clothes and stuff for two hours, with the midwife topping up the warm water now and then, until my sister had to push. She took a couple puffs of gas-and-air then, but otherwise disn't need anything, and the baby was born with very little fuss. The midwife was behind her, leaning over the edge of the pool with long rubber gloves on, and she guided the baby out, my sister bent down and lifted her new poppet up onto her chest, and that was that! One brand-new baby girl, who seemed pretty cool about the whole thing.

The cord was cut and clamped, they handed me the baby all wrapped up and cosy while my sister got out of the bath. I think that they were meaning for her to get wrapped up in towels and stuff while they delivered the placenta, but when she stood up in the pool it just sort of...arrived and went plop into the water, which was the yuckiest part of the whole thing.

But within half an hour she'd had a shower to get rid of the placenta yuck on her legs, was wrapped up in bed with my niece tucked in beside her, having a go at breastfeeding. It was lovely. Hardly any pain, no major intervention, we didn't see a doctor or a drug the whole time we were there and she had the freedom to move about in the pool without being strapped to a monitor. She had no tearing or complications, and we were able to take her and baby home late afternoon the same day.

I just asked my sister and she laughed and said the worst thing about it was trying to step out of the bath afterwards when her legs felt like jelly; she had to be supported by two midwives. If she has Baby no 4 then it's definitely another water birth for her.

Midnight Science
Aug 7, 2009

It will destroy you.

Irisi posted:

water birth stuff

Our facility here in town allows for water labor, but moves the poor mamas out for the actual delivery! Has anyone experienced that kind of thing?

Chicken Biscuits
Oct 17, 2008
Hi everyone! I just found out last week that we are expecting our first child. I'm a little over 5 weeks right now. The one major thing I'm noticing is that my eczema is getting worse. It's mostly on my hands, but seems to now be spreading to my face. I'm always itchy and it's so hard not to scratch. My doctor said I shouldn't use my hydrocortisone cream, so I've just been using lots of lotion, which has shea butter. Does anyone here have advice on how you dealt with this during your pregnancy?

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!

Midnight Science posted:

Our facility here in town allows for water labor, but moves the poor mamas out for the actual delivery! Has anyone experienced that kind of thing?

The hospital here has the same thing, but it's because they could only get the tub in a tiny room and there isn't enough room for more people if it's needed. Bummer. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Irisi posted:

Hardly any pain, no major intervention, we didn't see a doctor or a drug the whole time we were there and she had the freedom to move about in the pool without being strapped to a monitor.

It's not neccesarily an either-or though. I had a hospital birth pretty much like that, but minus the pool. Midwives only, they checked the heartbeat twice, and that was it as far as interventions.