Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

zylche posted:

A new record of course :eng101:
for the low level category :eng99:

Actually, he's only second place :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Actually, he's only second place :v:
I never said world record :ssh:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

ToastyPotato posted:

I don't understand what I am seeing. 8 hours?

He did a low level run, he basically beat the entire game with 1 attack, 3 magic and 1 life. It is impressive because Thunderbird takes 96 hits with 1 attack and Link can only get hit twice before dying.

I know it's not much of a "speed run", but its seriously the most impressive thing i've seen done on a Nintendo game and Feasel is a champ.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

katkillad2 posted:

He did a low level run, he basically beat the entire game with 1 attack, 3 magic and 1 life. It is impressive because Thunderbird takes 96 hits with 1 attack and Link can only get hit twice before dying.

I know it's not much of a "speed run", but its seriously the most impressive thing i've seen done on a Nintendo game and Feasel is a champ.

That sounds incredible. Too bad it isn't really the kind of run that is watchable.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
I'm curious about something: On Feasel's latest "previously on Feasel's channel" video (the one titled "~~ Super You-Know-What Ball ~~ followed by You-Know-What 2: The Adventure of You-Know-What ~~ ") it shows him setting up a DVD recorder. Now I've read that SDA wants videos on DVD for submission, but seriously, aren't there about a half-gazillion more modern, affordable, and less of a giant pain in the nuts methods of capturing gameplay video and submitting it for potential archiving? What's the reasoning behind hanging on to the DVD method?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I've asked about it before and the two main answers are "it's easier for SDA" and "it's easier on my lovely computer" which both make a lot of sense.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Now I've read that SDA wants videos on DVD for submission, but seriously, aren't there about a half-gazillion more modern, affordable, and less of a giant pain in the nuts methods of capturing gameplay video and submitting it for potential archiving? What's the reasoning behind hanging on to the DVD method?

It's because SDA is the Twin Galaxies of our generation, in almost every way possible.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

That is crazy

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It's easier and better, because what video capture devices support zero-latency passthrough and 224p-240p? A DVD recorder is a free upscaler, and a nice alternative to a $250+ FrameMeister when you only need upscaling.

Got a friend playing PS3 in SD over S-Video (didn't know it existed) with 4-5 extra frames of lag. Would like to donate a proper device for realtime..

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

MrLonghair posted:

It's easier and better, because what video capture devices support zero-latency passthrough and 224p-240p? A DVD recorder is a free upscaler, and a nice alternative to a $250+ FrameMeister when you only need upscaling.
Not many, but a $20 video distribution amplifier from Radio Shack will allow you to send the signal to both a TV and a capture device with no loss in quality. The TV will have no latency. Used to do this with a Gamebridge and an HD-PVR.

quote:

Got a friend playing PS3 in SD over S-Video (didn't know it existed) with 4-5 extra frames of lag. Would like to donate a proper device for realtime..
The Hauppauge HD-PVR 2 Gaming Edition does that. It can only capture in component for the PS3; something to do with not being able to capture HDMI signals that use HDCP copy protection. I'm using it with an Xbox 360 and there's absolutely no lag on the TV output. The nice thing is that it came with all the cables (two HDMI, and a component breakout cable for connecting a PS3). He'd be able to play in 1080i60 or 720p if I'm not mistaken (I don't own a PS3 so I'm not able to test those capabilities). Solid device so far, though. A lot better than the overheating garbage that was the HD-PVR 1. :v:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

I was thinking about a 224p-240p dcevice that did all that, got the HDPVR2 and it's just about satisfying. (and ordering the monoprice dvi+audio to hdmi adapter soon for HDMI PS3 caps)

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
DVDs are really easy to use, I'm not sure where this 'pain in the nuts' 'like twin galaxies' thing comes from. You hit a button to record, play your game, and you don't need to worry about capture cards doing their job right (constant 60 fps), dropped frames, having to stream while recording, etc. DVDs are cheap, and it takes little time to delete a disc. The only annoying part is ripping the disc after you've gotten, well, a submittable run. Some people might not have their desktop machines capable of good recordings next to their TV in the living room (using a laptop to stream and chat).

If you've got this set up, why spend hours dealing with recording software that might have problems doing the same thing?

Not many, but a $20 video distribution amplifier from Radio Shack will allow you to send the signal to both a TV and a capture device with no loss in quality. The TV will have no latency. Used to do this with a Gamebridge and an HD-PVR.

This is not directly related, but no $20 dist. amp that I've seen will do S-Video right. Composite, sure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Who is Keeta and why does twitch hate him?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who is Keeta and why does twitch hate him?

Twitch.TV/mikkayla69
He got his first account, Kaztalek, banned from twitch because he violated their terms of service. iirc he was steaming one of those random webcam chat sites.

These days he still does quite a few non gaming streams and was in fact banned and then unbanned by twitch just the other day.

oh yeah, he is also pretty much responsible for the current route for Majora's Mask 100% and knows more about that game than pretty much any other runner of it.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 9, 2013

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that SDA only accepts DVDs. They basically accept any kind of footage, as long as it's not terrible quality.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Dr. Stab, I swear I read it on their page about submissions shortly after AGDQ, but now I can't find that and it feels like one of those "but there really was a man on the wing!" things.

Keyboard Kid posted:

DVDs are really easy to use, I'm not sure where this 'pain in the nuts' 'like twin galaxies' thing comes from. You hit a button to record, play your game, and you don't need to worry about capture cards doing their job right (constant 60 fps), dropped frames, having to stream while recording, etc. DVDs are cheap, and it takes little time to delete a disc. The only annoying part is ripping the disc after you've gotten, well, a submittable run. Some people might not have their desktop machines capable of good recordings next to their TV in the living room (using a laptop to stream and chat).

If you've got this set up, why spend hours dealing with recording software that might have problems doing the same thing?
Edit: none of this really matters now that I can't find where I read that DVD video was a requirement any more.

Right, I get all that, and if someone already has the DVD setup rock what you've got. There's no reason to spend money to change your setup if it works. I was more curious as to the DVD requirement for submission, particularly for HD capable consoles. The PVR 2 has a built-in streaming function (haven't tried it, so I can't vouch for its reliability) and does all the encoding on the device itself so it doesn't really tax the computer (can verify, though I have it connected to a fairly beefy desktop). There's a ton of places to host video for the SDA folks to download, etc. It just seemed silly to be the only acceptable method of delivering a video in the age of broadband and reasonably priced capture devices, but if it's easier for SDA to work with, that's a decent enough reason.

quote:

This is not directly related, but no $20 dist. amp that I've seen will do S-Video right. Composite, sure.
That's correct. The one I have will do component/composite, but not S-Video. I did a few captures using the composite in/out feature back in the day to test stuff out, and it seemed to avoid the dot-crawl that's usually an issue. I wasn't doing very extensive tests, more of a "hmm, I wonder" thing, so your mileage may vary and all. The component output to the TV from the amp looked pretty much as good as component video usually does; not as good as HDMI, of course, but no appreciable loss in quality over a direct component video connection to the TV.

A quick google search for "s-video distribution amplifier" landed a Calrad 40-936B amp that will do composite and s-video (1 in 3 out) for ~$40, but that's the cheapest I saw, and the pages for the device on Tiger Direct and Amazon have the correct device name but the device's picture seems to be a model without S-Video, so I'm a bit confused.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
New Super Metroid WR by Garrison! 46:42.78

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

There's a ton of places to host video for the SDA folks to download, etc. It just seemed silly to be the only acceptable method of delivering a video in the age of broadband and reasonably priced capture devices, but if it's easier for SDA to work with, that's a decent enough reason.

Oh, nobody actually mails in their DVD recorded footage. You record your game on a DVD recorder, rip the DVD and then send it in via bittorrent.

DVDs are only easier for SDA because their encoding program automatically rips the DVD and encodes it for you. Meaning, less of a chance that the user will mess it up.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

sinister1 is doing Mike Tyson's Punch Out WR attempts: http://www.twitch.tv/sinisterwon/new

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

sinister1 is doing Mike Tyson's Punch Out WR attempts: http://www.twitch.tv/sinisterwon/new
He's about to do a blindfolded run after he TKOs Tyson in round one.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.
Sister1 is breaking down MTPO right now, check it out! Here

e: He's showing exactly why and how you fight sandman. Talking about when to dodge, hit, types of delays the games do. Its really cool, and answering questions from the chat about how the game works

SevenStringGuru fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 9, 2013

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
People have sent in WMVs as their finished footage before and it's ended up on the site. DVDs are just easy and reliable, but plenty of people use all kinds of capture devices these days. HDPVR was a popular choice for HD consoles for a while.

It's more a question of not loving up the deinterlacing on non-HD games and not dropping frames. As long as it's a high enough bitrate, just about any format will work.

Hell, my Metal Storm run was captured in XVid because I knew how to not gently caress it up.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

iateyourpie is doing some sort of mini-marathon today: http://www.twitch.tv/iateyourpie/new

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Dxtr, sinister, and funkdoc are Batman racing, and it's pretty close. Even sub-11 isn't enough to win the race anymore.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Mirror's Edge in 43:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMS87dhKjXY

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Apparently speedrunner Anatomyz took back the Paper Mario any% record from Cosmo just a few minutes ago.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
For HD streaming and running and I can not praise higher the Elgato HD. I find that it's leaps and bounds better than a PVR.

http://www.amazon.com/Elgato-Captur...game+capture+hd

Going to try and beat the Quake 4 record. I think I can get it down to at least 1:43 and maybe sub 1:40. There's is the question though, would I be put in a different category for the game because I plan on running it on the 360 instead. As far as I know there is no differences between the games.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 10, 2013

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

God, that is incredibly disorienting just to watch.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Neo Helbeast posted:

For HD streaming and running and I can not praise higher the Elgato HD. I find that it's leaps and bounds better than a PVR.

Going to try and beat the Quake 4 record. I think I can get it down to at least 1:43 and maybe sub 1:40. There's is the question though, would I be put in a different category for the game because I plan on running it on the 360 instead. As far as I know there is no differences between the games.

PC and Console are almost always different categories if mouse control comes into play, but the PC run should be faster than the 360 run because of the load time differences, so yours would replace it anyway. Especially if you do it single segment, not sure if that's what you were planning.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Klaige and Romscout are drunk racing Ninja Kun with a drink after every death condition. It's going about as well as you'd expect.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

iastudent posted:

Klaige and Romscout are drunk racing Ninja Kun with a drink after every death condition. It's going about as well as you'd expect.

Someone is going to die for real at this rate.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

This is like a first-person Mario 64 run. Pro-est click.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Feasel's doing more Super Dodge Ball WR attempts: http://www.twitch.tv/feasel/new

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

iastudent posted:

I'm surprised this didn't end with someone puking on their NES.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Gamma Nerd posted:

New Super Metroid WR by Garrison! 46:42.78

Is there a link for this?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Neo Helbeast posted:

It says in the description that it passes through the same HDMI connection to your TV/monitor without lag. Can you attest to that? I'm in the market for picking up a HDMI-capable monitor soon and I'm tempted to grab this at the same time.

E: Also how well does it play with XSplit or OBS?

iastudent fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 10, 2013

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

iastudent posted:

It says in the description that it passes through the same HDMI connection to your TV/monitor without lag. Can you attest to that? I'm in the market for picking up a HDMI-capable monitor soon and I'm tempted to grab this at the same time.

E: Also how well does it play with XSplit or OBS?

It was designed with Xsplit in mind but, they recently put in their own stream software built into capture program that's a 1-click deal. That one looks like this.
It can apparently record older non HD systems with the included adapter but I haven't tried that yet. As for the lag I routinely play fighters and FPS's with it on and either there is no lag or if there is, it's so small that I can't notice it.

http://www.gamecapture.com/en/#!/faq
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLDKZVXQQjQ

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 10, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.twitch.tv/srkfunkdoc

Everyone go wish funk a happy b-day(if the chat decides to load anyway)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

So is it a given that Twitch chat has shat itself because of whatever they did to implement Turbo? Because I remember there being unlocked twitch face bugs last week before Turbo was officially announced, and now the chat servers have been screwed for days since Turbo went live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Runnerguy is 5 minutes up on OoT English 100% (personal best, not sure about record, think he has it) with about 30 minutes to go

http://www.twitch.tv/runnerguy2489

• Locked thread