Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
The idea is that the recovery partition you boot in has no installation media. It's just a cut down installer that fits onto a small partition on that SSD. You are asked authenticate in to download Mountain Lion from Apple servers.

Normally, when you buy a Mac, you start the machine up and register it with your Apple ID. This process registers a copy of Mountain Lion to your Apple ID with the serial of your computer.

As for Mountain Lion itself, it's not really tied to an ID. You should be able to use any copy of Mountain Lion to install onto the Mac. It's only the recovery procedure that's dependent upon an Apple ID being present.

Here are some options if the visit does not work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

crazysim posted:

The idea is that the recovery partition you boot in has no installation media. It's just a cut down installer that fits onto a small partition on that SSD. You are asked authenticate in to download Mountain Lion from Apple servers.

Normally, when you buy a Mac, you start the machine up and register it with your Apple ID. This process registers a copy of Mountain Lion to your Apple ID with the serial of your computer.

As for Mountain Lion itself, it's not really tied to an ID. You should be able to use any copy of Mountain Lion to install onto the Mac. It's only the recovery procedure that's dependent upon an Apple ID being present.

Here are some options if the visit does not work out.

When you first boot the machine the original OS is not registered with your appleID. If you buy a mac with the old OS after the new one ships though you will get a claim code you use in the app store, that new version is registered with your appleid.

The original shipping OS is simply registered with the machine serial number.

If he boots that recovery usb stick i posted, removes all partitions on the ssd and then reboots, he should be able to boot into internet recovery which will install the original shipping OS.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I think Civil just fell into a gap in the system, the computer has a ML recovery partition and it's requiring him to recover ML because of that for some reason. Wipe the drive completely (including the recovery partition) and boot internet recovery from the firmware and it should allow the installation of Lion without signing in to anything, no dongle or plastic disks required.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think it would make sense for Apple to put a stripped down MAS on the recovery partition so you can create an AppleID and /or buy a license to run the OS if you really need to. I agree that it's an edge scenario but I've often wondered about the same thing. I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult or time consuming to add such a feature.

I guess even easier than that would be to let you buy a copy of OSX from apple.com/store. Just tie the token to your AppleID and you're set to go.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I'll still head to Apple store this afternoon to keep the appointment. I was nervous about wiping out the recovery partition, since I haven't owned a mac in several years and was unfamiliar with current recovery options, and thought I might really kill myself if I wiped out all recovery options, since I don't know any local mac users that I could tap in the event that I needed something.

I thought this would be a more common situation, and a quick trip to Apple's site on reinstallation and wiping didn't mention the pitfall I happened to fall into.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Civil posted:

I'll still head to Apple store this afternoon to keep the appointment. I was nervous about wiping out the recovery partition, since I haven't owned a mac in several years and was unfamiliar with current recovery options, and thought I might really kill myself if I wiped out all recovery options, since I don't know any local mac users that I could tap in the event that I needed something.

I thought this would be a more common situation, and a quick trip to Apple's site on reinstallation and wiping didn't mention the pitfall I happened to fall into.

The machine has internet recovery built in. Once you wipe the recovery partition you can then boot and install the OS.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So on the newest Mac OS, does iTunes remember the last song playing and the position? Is there a way to get that in 10.6.8?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

fleshweasel posted:

So on the newest Mac OS, does iTunes remember the last song playing and the position? Is there a way to get that in 10.6.8?

Not sure if you can make it remember the last song to play, but if you hit Get Info on tracks in iTunes, there is a 'Remember playback position' on the options tab.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What is up with Chrome and Shockwave? It is loving horrible. It crashes all the time and now when I try to watch a video I'll just get audio with about 1 frame every 30 seconds.

Is there a decent fix for this? I googled it and heard that turning off the Chrome shockwave player should fix (it's runng 2 when you are using Chrome) but it does nothing. I really don't want to have to start using Safari but this is ridiculous.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yes! Steam has finally added 'partial' retina support. It's better than nothing.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Don Lapre posted:

The machine has internet recovery built in. Once you wipe the recovery partition you can then boot and install the OS.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

This. You shouldn't even need to wipe your recovery partition - hold Command-Option-R on boot instead of Command-R to skip the recovery partition and go straight to internet recovery. Then you should have no problem installing the OS without a Apple ID. Sad that Apple support is so ignorant of their own poo poo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I didn't realize that MPlayerX gave up on the Mac App Store, so my installed version was a bit old. Just thought I'd mention it in here in case anyone's relying on the MAS version like I was.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I didn't realize that MPlayerX gave up on the Mac App Store, so my installed version was a bit old. Just thought I'd mention it in here in case anyone's relying on the MAS version like I was.

I've been on the latest version for a while but is the two finger horizontal swipe 'stuttery' for anyone else? I've had to disable it, it was so bad.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just downloaded the update, and reading his post about the new MAS requirements compelled me to donate him a whole dollar.
It sounds like you have to apply with Apple to have exceptions to their sandboxing rules? That's supposed to prevent apps with system destabilizing bugs from being put up or something? Or is it to prevent malware? Their vetting process should be enough for that.

I knew most important apps aren't on MAS, but I didn't know they tied developers' hands with bad policy too.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
I have a new Time Capsule related question...

I moved a bunch of files from my fiancee's mini to the TC, and I want to copy some of those files to my PC. If I go into the folder pf pictures and move a few pictures at a time, they copy...but if I try to move the whole folder (like 11GB), it acts like it wants to copy and then just stops.

Anyone encounter this before? Ideas?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

fleshweasel posted:

I just downloaded the update, and reading his post about the new MAS requirements compelled me to donate him a whole dollar.
It sounds like you have to apply with Apple to have exceptions to their sandboxing rules? That's supposed to prevent apps with system destabilizing bugs from being put up or something? Or is it to prevent malware? Their vetting process should be enough for that.

I knew most important apps aren't on MAS, but I didn't know they tied developers' hands with bad policy too.
Yeah the sandboxing stuff caused a bit of a shitstorm, and why the rule was delayed for a while from the original deadline. Devs hoped Apple would address shortcomings with it during that time but I don't think they did much, so a lot of devs were kind of stuck. And yeah for both security and stability, if an app fucks up (whether intentionally or accidentally) it can theoretically only gently caress up within the confines of what it's allowed access to. Sure the vetting process should be enough but sandboxing is another cover for unpredictable "poo poo happens" stuff or slips in the vetting process. Unfortunately with the way Apple implemented it (for now at least) it's apparently a pain or just plain impossible to implement for some apps.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

fleshweasel posted:

Apple almost never allows for exceptions, and when they do you never really know how long they'll let you have it (they are technically "temporary").

Sandboxing isn't only to protect users from an app itself; it's mainly meant to protect users from malware that may take advantage of security holes in an app. Let's take for example a hypothetical piece of malware that uses a bug in Excel scripting to send a user's contacts to the malware creator and also forwards an Excel file containing a copy of itself to all those same contacts in Mail - and then deletes every file in the user's account to remove any evidence. That wouldn't happen if Excel were sandboxed, because Excel wouldn't necessarily have access to the user's contacts, free reign with the filesystem, or inter-application scripting with Mail.

Sandboxing isn't a bad thing in the abstract. Apple's implementation however is poorly thought out, sometimes buggy, overly complex, and often far too restrictive with no workarounds for those cases where more access is a necessity. The problems MplayerX was having are one example. As another example, one of my own apps partially acts as a file browser and that is impossible to put on the App Store for that reason alone (I could try begging for a temporary entitlement for read-write access to the filesystem but see my first sentence...).

Another example from one of my apps where the official workaround is actually WORSE than the pre-sandboxing method: "Open at login." Without sandboxing, it is possible to put your app onto the open-at-login list (the one you see in the account section of the system prefs). Now, this was vaguely problematic since there was no restriction on this and potentially malicious apps could make sure they're auto-launched with no user intervention (after the initial launch, anyway). Of course, App Store rules require the user to select this option himself or you won't get approved, and I never would have done otherwise anyway, but it's understandable that one might want to reign this in a bit. So what's Apple's (required) solution? Something straightforward like a special permission window that the user has to click "yes" on when an app adds itself to login items (just like giving approval for Contacts or Location)? No:

1) Build a helper app that resides inside your app bundle (in a folder called LoginItems)
2) Register the helper app to launch at login as a background process
3) When the helper app launches, it should check to see if your app is running. If not, it should launch it. When it's done, it quits.

Initially doesn't sound too bad; throws an extra helper app into the process for some reason but it should work, right? Well, a few caveats:
(A) This only works if your app is in /Applications. Anywhere else and the helper app won't run. Most users won't move their apps anywhere else, but a few do.
(B) [And this is the show-stopper IMO; I've removed the option from my app for this reason.] Neither the helper app nor your app show up in the "login items" list using this method. So now, where once the user had a centralized, straightforward place to look to see what was being automatically launched for them (and could disable it without having to launch the app), the user can only know what's launching at login by checking all their apps' preferences. What if the app gets a buggy update and keeps crashing on launch? I would guess a trip to Terminal would be in order.
(C) This still doesn't require user interaction or permission! This convoluted pile of poo poo doesn't actually protect the user at all. So WTF Apple?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Is there a way to lighten up the iSight (I think thats the 'proper' word) camera? I feel that the contrast/brightness is a little off in google hangouts.

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

SeaborneClink posted:

Is there a way to lighten up the iSight (I think thats the 'proper' word) camera? I feel that the contrast/brightness is a little off in google hangouts.

Try something called iGlasses.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

noskill posted:

Try something called iGlasses.

I saw that recommended a few times, but :10bux:x2 is a little steep for what I'm looking for.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it were on iOS I swear it would cost 99c.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What is a program I can use to prune my downloads folder automatically? Something that automatically moves files older than a month to a generic storage folder, for example.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Automator should do it.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Is Oracle's Java 7 implementation any better/worse than the Apple version 6 one?

(Asking for desktop, not Applet use.)

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Peven Stan posted:

What is a program I can use to prune my downloads folder automatically? Something that automatically moves files older than a month to a generic storage folder, for example.

If you need more granular pruning, check out Hazel.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to get the iWork trio without paying $60?

I don't mean :filez:, I mean like a bundle or something? I have GarageBand, iMovie, and iPhoto free (I guess they came with a new computer), do they do something similar for iWork?

Also, if I have a Mountain Lion Mac, is there a way to "redeem" mountain Lion in the App Store and have it appear on my list of purchases? I remember buying last year's iMac and it let me download Lion for free, but that was during the free upgrade window for buying the new Macs.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 11, 2013

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also, if I have a Mountain Lion Mac, is there a way to "redeem" mountain Lion in the App Store and have it appear on my list of purchases? I remember buying last year's iMac and it let me download Lion for free, but that was during the free upgrade window for buying the new Macs.
Hold Option when clicking Purchases on the Mac App Store.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
As somebody new to Mac (quickly becoming a fanboi)... what are your favorite blogs to read for cool new apps / tips & tricks?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Daring Fireball and Macworld.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

I saw that recommended a few times, but :10bux:x2 is a little steep for what I'm looking for.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/webcam-settings/id533696630?mt=12

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

wolffenstein posted:

Hold Option when clicking Purchases on the Mac App Store.

I just got a new iMac and it won't let me do this. It says that this version of ML is not compatible with my computer

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

KarmaticStylee posted:

As somebody new to Mac (quickly becoming a fanboi)... what are your favorite blogs to read for cool new apps / tips & tricks?

For tips and tricks you want macosxhints.com

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

I'm sorry to be "that guy" but as someone new to OS X, so is this basically what I should be expecting from now on? To pay $5-$15 to control the basic functionality of my computer? I guess I just figured that something as basic as webcam brightness and/or contrast to be more.... Accessible.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm sorry to be "that guy" but as someone new to OS X, so is this basically what I should be expecting from now on? To pay $5-$15 to control the basic functionality of my computer? I guess I just figured that something as basic as webcam brightness and/or contrast to be more.... Accessible.
It's not really controlling basic functionality when you're adding options that aren't there in the standard UI. You can basically learn the manual ways to change things, or pay someone to write a UI for you. Or get that UI for free if the person who made it is really nice.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So the only two options for Time Machine backup over network is Time Capsule or OS X server on the network, right? I have a Seagate (:argh:) external USB drive that has just unmounted itself twice on me in the last hour, and I don't think that ever bodes well.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

so is there any explanation or fix as to why mountain lion kills network connections when going to sleep? even with 'allow network access while sleeping' is enabled?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

That setting is for WOL. You can't maintain connections while sleeping, that would defeat the point of sleeping. You can use normal Display Sleep instead if you wish.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

~Coxy posted:

That setting is for WOL. You can't maintain connections while sleeping, that would defeat the point of sleeping. You can use normal Display Sleep instead if you wish.

it worked fine in Lion and SL. now every time it wakes up Ive lost connection to the internet (so I cant use my Logmein) and my NAS is disconnected (so SABNZBD/sickbeard cant work their magic without waking the PC up to the transfer the files to the directories)

I can see on my router the Gigabit light switches to ethernet for that port. it did not do this previously.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

vtlock posted:

If you need more granular pruning, check out Hazel.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, actually. drat shame it costs $25!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

IUG posted:

So the only two options for Time Machine backup over network is Time Capsule or OS X server on the network, right? I have a Seagate (:argh:) external USB drive that has just unmounted itself twice on me in the last hour, and I don't think that ever bodes well.

No there are plenty of NAS devices that support time machine. I have everything in my house backing up to a nice FreeNAS server I built. Works great.