Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I'm really terrible at surviving in this game, especially terrible at remembering what crafts into what.

I can see there are a bunch of iphone apps I can download to be 'guides' as I prefer to be looking at that for help rather than alt tabbing which makes my PC go a bit stupid for a bit, but which ones are reccomended? Or just use minecraft wiki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

So I'm really terrible at surviving in this game, especially terrible at remembering what crafts into what.

I can see there are a bunch of iphone apps I can download to be 'guides' as I prefer to be looking at that for help rather than alt tabbing which makes my PC go a bit stupid for a bit, but which ones are recommended? Or just use minecraft wiki?

I use the Minecraft Crafting Guide on my Android phone for the same reason, though it's more to find object data values to use with /give and such, and also the whole potion recipes thing which I can't be hosed to memorize aside from the fire resist that I use most.

Not sure if there's an iOS version though.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

teacup posted:

I can see there are a bunch of iphone apps I can download to be 'guides' as I prefer to be looking at that for help rather than alt tabbing which makes my PC go a bit stupid for a bit, but which ones are reccomended? Or just use minecraft wiki?

If you're willing to venture into mods, Not Enough Items (NEI) can be used to see the recipes of any item, while in game.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.
I've added a torus model to Plotz, a goon request from a long time ago. At the time I wasn't sure if I could do it. A torus is great if you fancy building a giant doughnut, tocamak or large hadron collider.

Here's a 128 radius torus with 48 thickness:

...the same model shown up to layer 39

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Could you offer toruses that are vertical, and/or offer options about how hollow/solid the torus is?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I haven't been keeping up with Minecraft tools- what's available these days for making the overhead maps? Particularly something that works with 13w03a or later.

I'd really love if this game had a better in-game map, the current system is kinda neat, but really clumsy if you're trying to get a bigger picture.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Could you offer toruses that are vertical

I was gonna ask for controls for general 90 degree rotations around any axis, but then it seems that Torus is the only one you really might want that for. I'm kinda surprised you don't have a cone.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

MikeJF posted:

I was gonna ask for controls for general 90 degree rotations around any axis, but then it seems that Torus is the only one you really might want that for. I'm kinda surprised you don't have a cone.

Yeah a 90 degree rotate is a good idea for Torus and cone is a good primitive. Its part of the Wizard Tower model but you shouldn't really have to generate a Wizard Tower just to skim the cone off the top. I was also looking at some kind of filter to only render the top half/bottom half of symmetrical models.

Squirrelo
Mar 3, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

I haven't been keeping up with Minecraft tools- what's available these days for making the overhead maps? Particularly something that works with 13w03a or later.

I'd really love if this game had a better in-game map, the current system is kinda neat, but really clumsy if you're trying to get a bigger picture.

Unmined is good but only up to date to 1.4.2. It will still render your snapshot world pretty quick, just will be missing the new blocks added after 1.4.2. There's also a huge list here.

EDIT: VVV You may want to head overto the Minecraft modding thread.

Squirrelo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 4, 2013

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
So I decided to see what mods I could put in a server and ended up with the following. If anyone is interested in playing with me :3: I can zip up everything except the minecraft.jars

• Forge
  • PlayerAPI
  • RenderPlayerAPI
  • GuiAPI
  • Molecraft
  • More Pistons
  • DivineRPG
  • Mutant Creatures
  • Forestry
  • Millenaire
  • Twilight Forest
  • DrZharks MoCreature
  • CustomMobSpawner
  • Thaumcraft
  • Smart-move
  • Thermal Expansion
  • ExtrabiomesXL
  • Atmosmobs
  • Railcraft
  • the-necromancy-mod
  • AtomicScience
  • ElectricExpansion
  • AssemblyLine
  • Fluid Mechanics
  • (Basic Components) Universal Electricity
  • Dimensional Doors
  • buildcraft
  • MCHerds
  • TooManyItems
  • Treecapitator

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Danith posted:

So I decided to see what mods I could put in a server and ended up with the following. If anyone is interested in playing with me :3: I can zip up everything except the minecraft.jars

This is probably a really stupid thing to say but I'm going to say it. You do know that Technic, FTB, PlusPack etc all exist right?

If you do then you might not know that the Technic Launcher allows you to pack up custom packs and distribute them from a hosted zip file.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530416

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I am assuming the lack of mention in this thread means that there has been no real movement on the mod API front...

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

ToastyPotato posted:

I am assuming the lack of mention in this thread means that there has been no real movement on the mod API front...

They've gotta rewrite huge swaths of Notch's poorly implemented code before they can release a Mod API, it's gonna be a while, dude.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They have a team working behind the scenes on the mod api, they just decided to abandon the public git hub idea.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Two related questions:

What are the circumstances required for Zombie Villagers to spawn naturally? One place on the wiki says 10%, another says 5%, neither of them say anything about specific biomes but in my mountain biome I've never seen one ever.

However, it may be because SMP Revival doesn't have a unique texture for Zombie Villagers. On which note -- which file do I need to edit to give zombie villagers a unique skin? I tried replacing the obvious zombie_villager.png, and maybe I've just been unlucky since, but I still haven't seen any.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Anywhere zombies can/will spawn, zombie villagers have a chance of spawning as well. This includes from dungeon spawners. They are infrequent, but they will show up, and I'm pretty sure they are not limited to any biomes.

The first villager is always the toughest. After that, you can put them in a house and more zombies will flock to it, making it easier to keep an eye out for zombie villagers.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Two related questions:

What are the circumstances required for Zombie Villagers to spawn naturally? One place on the wiki says 10%, another says 5%, neither of them say anything about specific biomes but in my mountain biome I've never seen one ever.

However, it may be because SMP Revival doesn't have a unique texture for Zombie Villagers. On which note -- which file do I need to edit to give zombie villagers a unique skin? I tried replacing the obvious zombie_villager.png, and maybe I've just been unlucky since, but I still haven't seen any.

Wait whoa what? Is the zombie villager not /mob/zombie_villager.png? It's odd that no one else has ever pointed this out to me, it's been like that for a while.

I don't ever play survival :ssh:.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SMP posted:

Wait whoa what? Is the zombie villager not /mob/zombie_villager.png? It's odd that no one else has ever pointed this out to me, it's been like that for a while.

I don't ever play survival :ssh:.

Nah, it is -- I edited in one of your alternative zombie skins for zombie_villager.png and eventually found one, just had a bad run on the RNG I guess.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Gorfob posted:

This is probably a really stupid thing to say but I'm going to say it. You do know that Technic, FTB, PlusPack etc all exist right?

If you do then you might not know that the Technic Launcher allows you to pack up custom packs and distribute them from a hosted zip file.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3530416

I knew about it but thought it was all client-side/single player and wouldn't work for a linux server.. :aaaaa:

Oh well, I learned a lot about itemID's and found a script to put them into a file so you can check for dupes.

Also I got to get annoyed by how every minecraft download is a ad fly link :wtc:

Gorfob
Feb 10, 2007

Danith posted:

Also I got to get annoyed by how every minecraft download is a ad fly link :wtc:

That is a whole drama filled story of entitlement, dick sucking & fanbois. Hell a mod author just filed a DMCA claim against one of the goon mod packs because he has his panties in a bunch.

Glad I could be of help about the server side of things. Tekkit lite is pretty feature filled. I do suggest visiting the mod thread to keep discussion here clean though.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Anyone know of any way to fix maps once this happens?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a lot of minecraft server hosts out there with vastly different prices and some with questionable reputations. Is this a case of "get what you pay for" or are there some recommended hosts out there?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Baronjutter posted:

There's a lot of minecraft server hosts out there with vastly different prices and some with questionable reputations. Is this a case of "get what you pay for" or are there some recommended hosts out there?

Akliz is well thought-of around here. I was with them for about a year and I have no complaints.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Anyone know of any way to fix maps once this happens?

Quitting to title and reloading fixes it always fixes it for me.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

King Hotpants posted:

Akliz is well thought-of around here. I was with them for about a year and I have no complaints.

Seconding Akliz. I've been with them for probably close to 2 years and have never had any problems. Their support and service are top-notch.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Oggumogoggum posted:

Seconding Akliz. I've been with them for probably close to 2 years and have never had any problems. Their support and service are top-notch.

Thirding. And alot of people from Insert Coin(s) might feel the same. :3:

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Fourthing. I like their new control panel as well, just upgraded a few days ago.

Does anyone here know what can happen to change the seed of a world? I have a small Bukkit server a few friends and I play on but the only mod I use is dynmap. At some point it's obvious the seed changed because you can see noticable boundaries where the land suddenly changed, and dynmap reports a different spawn location as well.

It's kind of irritating because it makes me want to start over on the one hand, but I'm sure my friends don't really want to lose their stuff so I'm living with it for now. Just curious if anyone knew of things that could cause a seed change so that if I do ever start it over I can avoid something like that happening again.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

DarkJC posted:

Fourthing. I like their new control panel as well, just upgraded a few days ago.

Does anyone here know what can happen to change the seed of a world? I have a small Bukkit server a few friends and I play on but the only mod I use is dynmap. At some point it's obvious the seed changed because you can see noticable boundaries where the land suddenly changed, and dynmap reports a different spawn location as well.

It's kind of irritating because it makes me want to start over on the one hand, but I'm sure my friends don't really want to lose their stuff so I'm living with it for now. Just curious if anyone knew of things that could cause a seed change so that if I do ever start it over I can avoid something like that happening again.

I think the seed is stored in the server config file, so it's possible that someone went in and changed it.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
We had a similar problem on our server a while back. As far as I can tell, the server crashed and the map didn't save properly, resulting in a few chunk errors and a new seed. I ended up using MCEdit to get rid of (most of) the corrupted chunks, and some NBT editor to fix the seed. I forget if it's the uid.dat or level.dat file with the seed info, but one of those has the seed.

Since we use multiple maps (multiverse), I don't know how the server.properties file plays into it. There is a spot you can specify a seed so you may want to check it, but I don't know that it actually effects the generation past 'putting that info into the .dat file'.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Schwarzwald posted:

Quitting to title and reloading fixes it always fixes it for me.

Thanks, I restarted the server and that fixed it.

Aragaith
Jul 26, 2006

Kirisame Marisa.
In space.
Help.
There used to be a bug a long while ago that may still exist where if the seed line in the properties file isn't filled in with the seed that sometimes the seed can randomly change from a crash. Putting a seed in that line will always force that seed to be used and will prevent this bug from happening.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Holy poo poo am I glad for low-activity servers.

I'm building a castle about 1.5km away from our main spawn point (I haven't switched my bed to that location yet because I haven't remotely finished my castle). Underneath the castle area is a fuckoff huge cave system with at least 3 skeleton spawners.

I have built a trap/crusher around one of the spawners and was showing my son how it worked when I accidentally stepped on the tripwire and crushed myself to death.

Fortunately, I was the only one on at the time, so when I disconnected, the chunk almost immediately unloaded itself.

Came back on this morning and was able to make the trek all the way back and my stuff was still there waiting for me.

Phew.

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
Is it just me or is Adventure Mode seriously underused? I did a little messing around in creative mode and made a short dungeon for my wife to go through, and it seems like adventure mode is made for adventure maps.

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

Mushrooman posted:

Is it just me or is Adventure Mode seriously underused? I did a little messing around in creative mode and made a short dungeon for my wife to go through, and it seems like adventure mode is made for adventure maps.

There are some really cool adventure maps out there. The MC forums are a great place to find them. Some people spend hundreds of hours making RPG-like maps and they just sit around collecting dust.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
You have to be kind of careful with adventure mode. Is that a two-block-deep hole? Fall in there and you are gone forever. That goes for both those playing and those designing for it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Yogscast just did a zombie one that was pretty amazing. The stuff people are doing with the command blocks is really cool.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, all of Hypixel's recent adventure maps are pretty crazy (the zombie apocalypse, plus a couple fantasy themed ones: http://hypixel.net/)

We're like only one or two steps away from being able to completely recreate Diablo in vanilla Minecraft. We just need some way to have better random loot.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

We're like only one or two steps away from being able to completely recreate Diablo in vanilla Minecraft. We just need some way to have better random loot.

Forget Diablo, I want to recreate Dungeon Keeper in Minecraft :v:

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I've actually been working on one myself, but I'm waiting for the command block to get included in proper. Which sounds weird but really, I'm having tons of fun just building my little world and writing it's books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Aragaith posted:

There used to be a bug a long while ago that may still exist where if the seed line in the properties file isn't filled in with the seed that sometimes the seed can randomly change from a crash. Putting a seed in that line will always force that seed to be used and will prevent this bug from happening.

Hey thanks for the info, this might've been what happened, and if I'm remembering right I think we noticed it after a weird server crash. The seed line in the properties file is blank, never thought to fill it. I don't think anyone could've gone in an edited the seed because I'm the only one with access to the server administration stuff.