Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

MUFFlNS posted:

Capcom is running all of their franchises into the ground, it's not just a DMC thing. It's the same thing that's happening with Square. The fans want one thing, but for whatever stupid reason they're determined to do anything but what the fans want, and then they wonder why sales keep dropping constantly. I honestly suspect that both companies will end up dying before they come to their senses. It won't happen overnight, but they are slowly killing themselves.

I don't see Capcom dying any time soon. They do pretty okay with their fighters (let's pretend SFxT doesn't exist) and RE6 did sell a whole lot, just not the billions they were unrealistically expecting.

Square, on the other hand... they can rot and die for all anyone cares anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

What the fans want don't necessarily always work out too well. See Mega Man. At this point, I am convinced that only die hard fans are buying any of those games.
Do Mega Man fans actually want those 8-bit styled games though? I thought they were more into Legends 3, which Capcom cancelled.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

homeless snail posted:

Do Mega Man fans actually want those 8-bit styled games though? I thought they were more into Legends 3, which Capcom cancelled.

I like both. I bought Megaman 9 on Wii and then 10 on PS3, and I enjoyed them. I didn't buy the DLC, but I didn't think there was any reason for it to exist- just another way to gouge more out of the consumer. But Megaman Legends 3 is definitely where my heart lies. Capcom canceling the game is an absolute fool move- it would have been the game to get me to buy a 3DS.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Krad posted:

Square, on the other hand... they can rot and die for all anyone cares anymore.

!What about Deus Ex 3, Sleeping Dogs, all of Eidos' new stuff...I don't care for their JRPGs but their Western publishing arm is pretty solid.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Square-Enix has Eidos in the West and they have Dragon Quest in the East. Even if Final Fantasy starts to suck, they still have those to fall back on. Well, unless Final Fantasy XIV: Realm Reborn turns out to have a launch just as bad as the original game. But... but it won't. :ohdear:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Megaman Legends 3 being cancelled is the dumbest if you actually read up the story on what happened. Basically, Capcom cancelled the game and said it's the fans fault for not showing enough interest in the game, to which the fanbase collectively screamed "WTF?" in surprise.

It turns out that Capcom created this utterly obscure and weird website that nobody even knew existed because Capcom told nobody about it. Apparently, Capcom expected the fanbase to register on this website to show their support for Megaman Legends 3, and if a sufficient amount of people did, they would continue development of the game. Obviously nobody did however, because nobody had any idea that the freakin' website existed at all and it was as obscure as it could possibly be.

So the game gets cancelled and Capcom blames the fans for not showing support, even though they had no way of knowing that Capcom expected them to register on some developers forum somewhere. Anybody else would have used FaceBook/Twitter or heck I dunno, maybe their official website?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Captain Walker posted:

!What about Deus Ex 3, Sleeping Dogs, all of Eidos' new stuff...I don't care for their JRPGs but their Western publishing arm is pretty solid.

They can stay as a publisher, they've been doing great, just as long as they stop teasing and not delivering anything remotely related to a real FF/TWEWY/KH game.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Going to laugh if KH misses this entire console generation (the HD remakes won't count) because Nomura has spent 7 years on FF versus 13 with nothing to show for it.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

MUFFlNS posted:

So the game gets cancelled and Capcom blames the fans for not showing support, even though they had no way of knowing that Capcom expected them to register on some developers forum somewhere. Anybody else would have used FaceBook/Twitter or heck I dunno, maybe their official website?

I've been part of a fan Facebook group, something like "million strong for MegaMan Legends 3" for two years now. They post something atleast once a day, it's pretty drat annoying. The point is though, using Facebook is a much smarter and more effective way to do it. Practically everyone has a Facebook or Twitter account these days. I had never even known "Capcom Unity" to exist until they started up the petition to create MML3.

Sometimes I honestly wonder if Capcom canceled MML3 just to spite Keiji Inafune after his departure. It's just so strange- Capcom's whole approach to MML3 has been so terribly executed.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

blackguy32 posted:

What the fans want don't necessarily always work out too well. See Mega Man. At this point, I am convinced that only die hard fans are buying any of those games.

Were 9 and 10 flops? They made two of them and I imagine they were relatively cheap to make...

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Grimace posted:

Sometimes I honestly wonder if Capcom canceled MML3 just to spite Keiji Inafune after his departure. It's just so strange- Capcom's whole approach to MML3 has been so terribly executed.
I don't think they did it to spite him, more along the lines that Inafune was the only one with enough clout to get Mega Man games made, or the only one who wanted to make them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Were 9 and 10 flops? They made two of them and I imagine they were relatively cheap to make...

9 did okay, 10 did worse. Neither set the world on fire.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

MUFFlNS posted:

You left out the worst part of this, that fans literally designed all the characters for free for them via contests! Any kind of design work like that is job that pays real money, Capcom got all of that done for free by fans because they wanted the game to get made that badly. Models were made and everything.

I still can't believe SquareEnix considers Versus XIII a thing people will care about, Final Fantasy name or not. That game better be the Chrono Trigger/Dragon Quest V/Valkyrie Profile of JRPGs on release if they expect it to be a hit after years of nothing.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 8, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Versus XIII sure looks like a non-Disney Kingdom Hearts to me (what little we have seen of it), which is totally fine with me.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Versus XIII sure looks like a non-Disney Kingdom Hearts to me (what little we have seen of it), which is totally fine with me.

Yep. I loved that footage they put out way too long ago and would be super excited for the game if it wasn't goddamn vaporware.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I haven't used my PS3 much this last 6-7 months. Anyone have suggestions for very obviously PS3 games? PSN stuff is preferred since I've kept up with most retail games out.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kilometers Davis posted:

I haven't used my PS3 much this last 6-7 months. Anyone have suggestions for very obviously PS3 games? PSN stuff is preferred since I've kept up with most retail games out.

Tokyo Jungle is the most PS3 game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

That's actually one I have, haha. Good pick though, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Black Knight Sword isn't a horrible choice either. It's a bit content-lite, but has buckets of style.

... and Journey, obviously. Surely you've already got Journey. GET JOURNEY IF NOT.

EDIT: Oh, right - also check out The Unfinished Swan, if you like art'y games.

EDIT: I really need to go back to Tokyo Jungle. Got distracted, never unlocked past the cat. I must dress my Pomeranian in as many stupid articles of clothing as possible.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 8, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Black Knight Sword isn't a horrible choice either. It's a bit content-lite, but has buckets of style.

... and Journey, obviously. Surely you've already got Journey. GET JOURNEY IF NOT.

I wish I could quote this a million times because loving seriously.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

I played through Journey again earlier today after not touching it since I played through it on release day. Just enough time for my memories of it to get a little foggy and get back some of the magic of that first playthrough. :)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Does Final Fantasy X HD still exist or should I just try to make it through this PS2 copy I have? First time I got stuck on the Seymour-on-the-cliff fight, second time I got stuck on a Airship Sin fight, and I was waiting on the HD release before trying again.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Holy crap, Warner is throwing a lot of money around to promote Injustice. Are they that afraid that it might bomb right out of the door or what? :psyduck:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Krad posted:

Holy crap, Warner is throwing a lot of money around to promote Injustice. Are they that afraid that it might bomb right out of the door or what? :psyduck:

Usually if a game focus tests poorly and seems like it will bomb companies DON'T promote it. There exist some outliers like Homefront but more commonly you see something like Syndicate. Not going to turn a profit, gently caress it, shove it out the door and leave it to die.

edit: Though I guess they probably had reason to believe Homefront would be successful. I don't know. But I do know it usually isn't smart to spend a lot of advertising dollars when you know a game sucks and won't perform well because, while you'll get more return on the money you spent developing the game, you'll damage your brand and use your advertising money very inefficiently.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 8, 2013

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Krad posted:

Injustice is an easy sell. A fighting game (good, good) from the people that brought you Mortal Kombat (I'm excited) starring Batman and Superman and other heroes and villains (take my money now). Warner is smart for greasing the wheels. Injustice can easily be in the top 20 best selling games of 2013.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

Krad posted:

Probably the opposite actually. MK vs. DC Universe sold ~2 million units and MK 2011 sold ~3 million (2 million of that first month sales) so why wouldn't they expect this to do the same?

Edit: Hell, Ed Boon himself tweeted that MK 2011 sold ~4 million so yeah WB will be pimping the poo poo out of this game for obvious reasons.

Liar Lyre posted:

I did some more research and found out that Lego Batman 2 was a top ten seller last year and Arkham City the year before. Batman is a license to print money right now. The only thing stopping Injustice from hitting the top is some kind of catastrophic failure to the game, like a bug that erases game data or it being a lovely game.

Not to mention the massive success of the Nolan trilogy coupled with the upcoming Superman reboot fresh on people's minds, the game basically sells itself.

pizza valentine fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 8, 2013

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I did some more research and found out that Lego Batman 2 was a top ten seller last year and Arkham City the year before. Batman is a license to print money right now. The only thing stopping Injustice from hitting the top is some kind of catastrophic failure to the game, like a bug that erases game data or it being a lovely game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

Capcom is running all of their franchises into the ground, it's not just a DMC thing. It's the same thing that's happening with Square. The fans want one thing, but for whatever stupid reason they're determined to do anything but what the fans want, and then they wonder why sales keep dropping constantly. I honestly suspect that both companies will end up dying before they come to their senses. It won't happen overnight, but they are slowly killing themselves.

To be fair, if they listened to their fans they would literally just be making the same game over and over again with slight refinements. There's nothing really wrong with trying to mix up your franchise so it doesn't become stale, it's just sometimes it doesn't work. Yeah a bunch of people bitched about DMC but these people hadn't even played the thing, so it's hard to say for sure that this was stuff that Capcom really should have known to listen to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kilometers Davis posted:

Ni No Kuni might interest you. It's a JRPG that was made exclusively for the PS3 as a collaboration between Level 5 and Studio Ghibli.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

To be fair, if they listened to their fans they would literally just be making the same game over and over again with slight refinements. There's nothing really wrong with trying to mix up your franchise so it doesn't become stale, it's just sometimes it doesn't work. Yeah a bunch of people bitched about DMC but these people hadn't even played the thing, so it's hard to say for sure that this was stuff that Capcom really should have known to listen to.
Well, publishers as big as Square-Enix or Capcom SHOULD be able to both keep making the games the fans want, and also reach out to new audiences with interesting new projects. Right now they don't seem to be doing either one very decently though. With the exception of Dragon's Dogma though, that poo poo rules. Apparently it only barely made it out though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only people in the world who know less than Capcom and Square about what made their old games good are the fans of those games.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

SamBishop posted:

Oh, right, that's a thing! Totally forgot about it, but I'm kinda glad you reminded me. I'm surprised there wasn't more chatter after the LA Noire blooper reel.
Holy hell, I had no idea there was such a thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm enjoying Dead Space 3 but holy hell, it has a terrible goddamn save system. It uses an autosave/checkpoint system but its pretty bad at saving story progress. The one good thing about it is it is that you don't lose inventory since it saves that when you quit.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Does Final Fantasy X HD still exist or should I just try to make it through this PS2 copy I have? First time I got stuck on the Seymour-on-the-cliff fight, second time I got stuck on a Airship Sin fight, and I was waiting on the HD release before trying again.

I... guess it still exists? It's like Final Fantasy Versus XIII in that they just do not talk about it, at all. I wouldn't expect it any time soon, so just hook up that PS2.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Grimace posted:

I... guess it still exists? It's like Final Fantasy Versus XIII in that they just do not talk about it, at all. I wouldn't expect it any time soon, so just hook up that PS2.
I have no idea what Square Enix is really up to other than Lightning Returns. Is that their only major game that has even close to a release date (fall 2013, in Japan anyway)?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's also 14-2 which should be going into beta any time now. I really can't think of anything else though. Is Dragon Quest X out yet?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I guess Bravely Default was a few months ago. Is that what counts as a major release for them now?

dianekwon
Sep 1, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Is Dragon Quest X out yet?

It is in Japan. I had a friend told me that it was doing well but I can't imagine a Dragon Quest game not, especially in Japan.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Which Disgaea is superior, the first or second?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

James Woods Fan posted:

Which Disgaea is superior, the first or second?

What are you asking here, gameplay or story? Original Disgaea has by far the better story and characters, but it doesn't have attack animation skipping which is honestly the biggest issue of going back to it as far as I'm concerned. That can be fixed with literally any of the alternative non-PS2 versions though.

Yet this is the PS3 thread, and Disgaea 4 is really, really good both in characters, story and gameplay. Not to mention the HD sprites. So unless you really want to dip into the originals, I'd say just spring for 4.

• Locked thread