Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Anyone know if it's possible to do the no-HUD in the campaign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
hate to tell you this Dave, but that multiplayer footage is at least 6 months old i believe, and a lot has changed since then. (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7zIRMckLZY , its almost a year old)

Also Dezz im told there is indeed a way to do that.

There however doesnt seem to be a 95/99 round non-bursting pulse rifle in the game.

Caecitas fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 9, 2013

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
So the store I preordered from called me today to tell me that they are releasing the game in Australia early. I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll post here as soon as I get a chance to play it. As much as I want to like this game, it's most likely going to be a pile of poo poo.

I wonder if they are releasing it early so people don't have a chance to read proper reviews after all these leaked gameplay videos getting hate.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Caecitas posted:

hate to tell you this Dave, but that multiplayer footage is at least 6 months old i believe, and a lot has changed since then. (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7zIRMckLZY , its almost a year old)

There however doesnt seem to be a 95/99 round non-bursting pulse rifle in the game.

I think they said the Mk. 1 is in the game somewhere, or there was a way to get it, but I don't think I ever saw what the gun was like, other than them saying it was canon.

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
Put it this way Nails, a Mk1 is in the game in the form of Hudsons rifle, but is stuck on a burst fire mode, that much we know. As for an actual Mk1 full auto it seems to be something that was promised previously, but didnt make the final cut.

Much like claims the pulse rifles would have the LED displays on the right side of the weapon.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Caecitas posted:

Alright then, thanks.

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
http://www.twitch.tv/mendi_king_style/b/365290083 <- a little german multiplayer footage for you all captured last night.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Can you even crawl on walls and ceilings in this game as an alien? I remember seeing in that live stream with the developers that someone briefly got on a ceiling, but other than that I don't really see the freedom of movement aliens usually had in previous games that made them fun to play. I don't know if the players just don't know how to do it since this just broke street or if all you can do is literally run and jump at people and occasionally get onto ceilings.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 9, 2013

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
Im watching it all now Baron and it doesn’t seem like 30 minutes in that any players know and/or can cling to walls/ceilings.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The manual up on Steam says you can transition from walls to ceilings so I guess no one has figured it out yet. You'd think there would be some tooltips or something. Maybe there are but we just aren't seeing them.

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
well spotted mate.

In all honesty, even if there were tooltips, i dont speak/read german.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Caecitas posted:

Im watching it all now Baron and it doesn’t seem like 30 minutes in that any players know and/or can cling to walls/ceilings.
One of the more recent multiplayer trailers (like from the last 7 days or so) highlighted how Aliens can climb on walls, so yes, you can.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
It's a bad game in a lot of ways but if anyone's looking for something that tries to capture the original Alien feel/experience, Enemy Zero did a pretty good job of providing that sense of helplessness and panic. You can't see the creatures in it until they're right on top of you, only hear them via the motion tracker, and your pistol only works at close range and holds a whopping 3 shots, tops, before it requires a recharge so working out where it is and avoiding the bastard is mainly the order of the day.

I made it as far as the first air vents section and gave up in a Dallas-esque fit of a panic and despair.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sentinel Red posted:

It's a bad game in a lot of ways but if anyone's looking for something that tries to capture the original Alien feel/experience, Enemy Zero did a pretty good job of providing that sense of helplessness and panic. You can't see the creatures in it until they're right on top of you, only hear them via the motion tracker, and your pistol only works at close range and holds a whopping 3 shots, tops, before it requires a recharge so working out where it is and avoiding the bastard is mainly the order of the day.

I made it as far as the first air vents section and gave up in a Dallas-esque fit of a panic and despair.
This sounds pretty great, what made it bad though?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Sentinel Red posted:

in a Dallas-esque fit of a panic and despair.

This accurately describes the feeling of the very first mission of the original AvP.

The one with no xenomorphs at all. It's amazing that they manage to lead you along so well without even giving a hint of any hostiles, yet you're absolutely sure THIS is the corner that it's going to be waiting around.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

VogeGandire posted:

This accurately describes the feeling of the very first mission of the original AvP.

The one with no xenomorphs at all. It's amazing that they manage to lead you along so well without even giving a hint of any hostiles, yet you're absolutely sure THIS is the corner that it's going to be waiting around.

Im pretty sure there are aliens in the first marine level, they just don't come until really late.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

blackguy32 posted:

Im pretty sure there are aliens in the first marine level, they just don't come until really late.
There are only about 2 or 3 Aliens in the first Marine level, and yes they don't show up until fairly late in the level. The first AvP game is still my favorite, the Marine campaign is scary as gently caress.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Caecitas posted:

Much like claims the pulse rifles would have the LED displays on the right side of the weapon.

Wait, the rifles don't have the LEDs? Really? I'm not saying it ruins the game for me(everything else does that already), but that was always something I really liked when I was young for no real reason.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 9, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

omg chael crash posted:

Wait, the rifles don't have the LEDs? Really? I'm not saying it ruins the game for me(everything else does that already), but that was always something I really liked when I was young for no real reason.
I think he's saying they don't have them on the film-accurate "correct" (right) side of the weapon, and instead have them on the left where the right-handed protagonist (and player) can see the ammo count.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Has anyone tried out the AvP classic redux mod?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Xenomrph posted:

I think he's saying they don't have them on the film-accurate "correct" (right) side of the weapon, and instead have them on the left where the right-handed protagonist (and player) can see the ammo count.

Thats hard to argue against really. Has any game not done that?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Caecitas posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/mendi_king_style/b/365290083 <- a little german multiplayer footage for you all captured last night.

Ok but... this looks fun as hell!

Plus the guy it is recording is hilarious. Especially when he dies.

NIEN.... NIIIIEEEEENNNNNNNNN

This went from a non purchase to a purchase again because of this video :)

I guess I must be easily amused. It also looks like if Aliens team up correctly and just zerg on queue, the humans will not stand a chance.

Edit: Hahahah!!! At 30:26 he kills an alien which is then next to his "buddies" (he says buddies alot during this segment) and the alien acid blood that came from the kill killed his two buddies. And himself.

"Hoolllyy shiiittt"

:lol:

Maybe I should buy the german version and not understand anything that is going on, because I could watch this video all day.

Edit 2: Another highlight hilarious moment: 55:45.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 9, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Thats hard to argue against really. Has any game not done that?
Apparently the film-accurate pulse rifle puts the ammo counter on the correct side, but the Mk 2 you use for most of the game puts it on the useful side so you can, you know, use it.

The first 2 AvP games put the ammo counter on the film-accurate side, but it isn't much of a problem since you have a HUD telling you your ammo count anyway. AvP2010 put it on the useful side, but explains it away as being a newer model of pulse rifle. In fact just about all of the weapons, armor, vehicles, and equipment in AvP2010 are "updated" as being newer model Marine hardware, and they were clever enough to reference some of the "in development" hardware mentioned in the USCM Tech Manual book. :shobon:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Utnayan posted:

Ok but... this looks fun as hell!

Plus the guy it is recording is hilarious. Especially when he dies.

NIEN.... NIIIIEEEEENNNNNNNNN

This went from a non purchase to a purchase again because of this video :)

I guess I must be easily amused. It also looks like if Aliens team up correctly and just zerg on queue, the humans will not stand a chance.

Hahahah!!! At 30:26 he kills an alien which is then next to his "buddies" (he says buddies alot during this segment) and the alien acid blood that came from the kill killed his two buddies. And him self.

"Hoolllyy shiiittt"

:lol:

Maybe I should buy the german version and not understand anything that is going on, because I could watch this video all day.

That actually made me chuckle a bit. I would have to say that making the alien perspective 3rd person was a good choice. I hadn't noticed that it was 3rd person til now.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Xenomrph posted:

Apparently the film-accurate pulse rifle puts the ammo counter on the correct side, but the Mk 2 you use for most of the game puts it on the useful side so you can, you know, use it.

The first 2 AvP games put the ammo counter on the film-accurate side, but it isn't much of a problem since you have a HUD telling you your ammo count anyway. AvP2010 put it on the useful side, but explains it away as being a newer model of pulse rifle. In fact just about all of the weapons, armor, vehicles, and equipment in AvP2010 are "updated" as being newer model Marine hardware, and they were clever enough to reference some of the "in development" hardware mentioned in the USCM Tech Manual book. :shobon:

This is a very minor point and I only looked it up because I was sure AvP2000 had the counter visible and it was messing with my head but it does seem that was the case:

I seem to remember though because that was because you could use it left handed and it was mirrored? Although that may well applying memories of counterstrike to AvP.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Cancelled my preorder as well - not paying 60 dollars to fight humans (as a human) in an aliens game when I can do that in every other fps on the market

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
So disappointed. I loved AVP2, why can't they just remake something like that in a new engine?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ReV VAdAUL posted:

This is a very minor point and I only looked it up because I was sure AvP2000 had the counter visible and it was messing with my head but it does seem that was the case:

I seem to remember though because that was because you could use it left handed and it was mirrored? Although that may well applying memories of counterstrike to AvP.
Oh poo poo, I guess I never noticed that. Learn something new every day, thanks!

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

You can get the stupid Monster DLC now. http://monsterne.ws/Aliens_CM

If, for some reason, you don't want to buy any of whatever Monster is because they don't sell it in your country you can use 070847815044 as the UPC code.

RiperSnifler
Aug 19, 2005
Well shit
I'm still preordering this because all I wanna do is shoot aliens alongside my marine buddies and none of the AVP games let you do that for very long. Usually any allied NPCs get wasted within 10 seconds of meeting them and you're all alone again. That's why I never liked the AVP games.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I'm still upset that we didn't get Brothers In Arms: Colonial Marines like we were promised however many years ago.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

That's all.

I'm actually looking forward to multiplayer now though thanks to that german stream, seeing as how the marines were getting chewed up pretty good even against aliens that didn't even know how to climb walls. And the revive mode apparently doesn't work in team deathmatch from what I can tell of that video.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol

Relin posted:

Cancelled my preorder as well - not paying 60 dollars to fight humans (as a human) in an aliens game when I can do that in every other fps on the market

$30 on getgamesgo.com with promo code LV-426

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Spoke Lee posted:

$30 on getgamesgo.com with promo code LV-426
Thanks for this; 20€ for this game doesn't sound half bad. :v:

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.

The embodiment of smug. poo poo I'd refuse to buy the game had I seen this on the back of the box.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Kraustofski posted:

The embodiment of smug. poo poo I'd refuse to buy the game had I seen this on the back of the box.

I think that was the guy who appeared on the Giant Bomb E3 livestream and claimed that he knew more about Aliens than anyone else on the planet.

Which you can clearly see reflected in this game.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Xenomrph posted:

The first AvP game is still my favorite, the Marine campaign is scary as gently caress.

Yup the AvP marine campaign is the best single player fps game I have ever played in my life.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

It is a goddamn shame that nobody has released a roguelike style Alien game where you have to accomplish tasks across a randomly generated ship while an Alien stalks you. I guess thats what Routine wants to be.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

the black husserl posted:

It is a goddamn shame that nobody has released a roguelike style Alien game where you have to accomplish tasks across a randomly generated ship while an Alien stalks you. I guess thats what Routine wants to be.

http://alien.chaosforge.org/

It's not exactly what you were saying, but it's pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
For anyone interested, I'm hosting a little AVP Classic Skirmish-o-rama sometime around 9:00 central tonight with Goons vs. Predator in anticipation/dread of Colonial Marines imminent release.

Expect lots of friendly fire, with an emphasis on fire.

• Locked thread