Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm all about whatever it takes to get Big D to make more Good Luck/Gypsy Hill/How It Goes poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I love How It Goes and I dont know why people hate it so much. They throw almost everything at the wall and a lot of it sticks. You Lost You're Crazy is one of my favorite songs.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
How It Goes is like every other Big D album: wildly inconsistent. Some of it is loving horrible and some of it is great.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

guppy posted:

How It Goes is like every other Big D album: wildly inconsistent. Some of it is loving horrible and some of it is great.

Eh, personally I liked all of Good Luck and The Gipsy Hill EP, so not especially liking half the songs on How it Goes makes it a lot worse in my book. Also all the unskippable weird song intros; and that album, production wise, just sounds like complete poo poo.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

aricoarena posted:

and that album, production wise, just sounds like complete poo poo.

Seriously, How It Goes was either recorded or mastered very poorly. Lots of clipping and uneven mixing.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Miscellaneous_T posted:

Seriously, How It Goes was either recorded or mastered very poorly. Lots of clipping and uneven mixing.

Oh dear lord the clipping. Everything sounds blown out to poo poo during the rocking parts of the album. I really need to give everything after it a second chance. How it goes was just so disappointing. I know they have new stuff I like, specially the instrumentals.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I have a friend I want to introduce to ska as a phenomenon, and I'm not sure where to start short of dragging to a Reel Big Fish live show. He's into swing and jazz and music of that nature, and I'm more of a fan of the punk / DIY / big stupid third wave stuff. What should I give him to listen to? He's not feeling Streetlight.

Which I think means I have to stop hanging out with him.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006

Lieutenant Dan posted:

I have a friend I want to introduce to ska as a phenomenon, and I'm not sure where to start short of dragging to a Reel Big Fish live show. He's into swing and jazz and music of that nature, and I'm more of a fan of the punk / DIY / big stupid third wave stuff. What should I give him to listen to? He's not feeling Streetlight.

The more recent Planet Smashers stuff? tokyo ska paradise orchestra

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

TSPO, New York Ska-Jazz, Dance Hall Crashers (?), get him into a little Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Squirrel Nut Zippers to sweeten him up for the 3rd wave explosion.

What doesn't he like about Streetlight? For some people it's not the first third wave ska band they get into, it's more of a later on after you've blown your load on early Big D and RBF

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Suburban Legends - Dance Like Nobody's Watching and Rump Shaker

e: Also, I don't get a lot of the complaining about the content on How It Goes. Sure it's like 5 songs too long, but a good 15-17 songs on that album range from pretty good to downright awesome

OK:
Cutshow
Bender
President
Safe Haven
Chicago

Good:
You're Me Now
Moment Without An End
If We Want To
Girls Against Drunk Bitches
(We All Have To) Burn Something
Little Bitch

:hellyeah:
LAX
My Girlfriend's On Drugs
New Nail Bed
You Lost, You're Crazy

Really, Voice Alone and Flashlight are the only 'meh' songs, and How It Goes and Sounds of Alston Village are instrumentals so do they really even count (and they're not bad ones to boot)

Miscellaneous_T posted:

This I get however, but I still listen to the early ASOB albums and they sound like they were recorded through a tin can so v:shobon:v

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 6, 2013

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Here's a few bands to check out:
New York Ska-Jazz Ensemble
St-Petersburg Ska-Jazz Review
Sao Paulo Ska Jazz
Catwalk (there may be more than one band with this name. Check out the album "Thin Rebellion")

Do you happen to have access to Spotify? I have a large playlist I'm working on all the time that is mostly traditional style ska. There's a few ska punk songs on it, but I've mostly stayed away from it. Check it out here if you can: http://open.spotify.com/user/mrjellybean/playlist/0k0IzxO0SAmBmKcRwAgZLw

Also, hello SA Ska Thread. Just signed up here and mostly for this thread. I've lurked here for a while so it's nice to finally be able to post.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
I totally have access to Spotify! Gonna check that noise out now. :) I have no idea why he doesn't like Streetlight, but I'm guessing it's cause Streetlight is so erratic and so much is going on. I'll ask him.

Lieutenant Dan fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 7, 2013

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I was the same way as your friend. I'm a pretty big jazz fan and Streetlight was my first intro to ska. I really dug the horn parts, but something I couldn't stand for the longest time was Tomas' voice. I found it way to harsh and grating, and frankly thought it was terrible.

Really, I can't think of any singers in Ska bands that are spectacular. But eventually I realized that whether or not a singer is good doesn't really reflect on whether or not the band is awesome and most of the time the style of singing really compliments the music.

The Bosstones are a prime example of that. They are an amazing band and Dicky Barrett's gravelly voice compliments them too. Even BTMI! is like that with Jeff's style.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I thought I was the only person who really loved LAX.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dodecalypse posted:

Really, I can't think of any singers in Ska bands that are spectacular.

Monique Powell

Does Scotty count for RBF even though he was backup vocals? Because he's a loving tremendous singer*.

I really like Chuck Robertson and Matt Embree (even though Rx isn't really a ska band anymore) and Reese Roper is awesome. Vince Walker is a pretty good singer as well.

*e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xd7j_F4l9I

:allears:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 7, 2013

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Scott was the best part of RBF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dexjYDtdqD8

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Goddamnit Scotty make music again

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Obama Yo Mama posted:

Monique Powell

drat dude, first time in years I've thought of Save Ferris.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I listen to Come On Eileen like once a week because it's pretty much one of the top-5 ska covers ever made

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

IT'S loving HERE IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING

http://fiveironfrenzy.com/site/event/

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Zack Ryder!? In MY ska thread!?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Whoo Atlanta show I can actually go to!

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
No! Of course they do a tour right when I am moving to Florida :(, and their Orlando date is a week before I move.

I will never get to sing along to blue comb 78 live

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I became a FIF fan in high school, pretty much right after they broke up, that was 10 years ago, and I never ever thought I'd get a chance to see them live. This has been a dream of mine for the last decade. My birthday is the 15th, that's going to be the best loving present ever. Grammercy Theatre is a nice venue, too.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

like i'm seriously all kinds of loving jacked up over this

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I became a FIF fan in high school, pretty much right after they broke up, that was 10 years ago, and I never ever thought I'd get a chance to see them live. This has been a dream of mine for the last decade. My birthday is the 15th, that's going to be the best loving present ever. Grammercy Theatre is a nice venue, too.

I prefer Irving, but yeah, Grammercy is awesome. That said, I've been seeing lots of ska shows coming up in NYC. Mephiskapheles, Pietasters, and now FIF. Good time to be a ska fan

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

My favorite venues in NYC are Highline and BB King's, but I like Irving and Gramercy also. I like Gramercy because I can go up and sit down between bands if I want to.

Beowulf posted:

ska shows coming up in NYC. Mephiskapheles, Pietasters

:stare:

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013
So what albums are everyone looking forward to this year? Last year was a pretty drat good year for ska and I'm hoping for an even better one this year. I'm sure there are more releases, but here's what I can think of at the moment.

-Streetlight Manifesto - "The Hands That Thieve"
-Five Iron Frenzy's new album
-The Scofflaws - "Skinhead Beer Party" (Read that this was in the works on The Duff Guide To Ska)
-The Lions - "This Generation" (I guess this is more reggae, but Deston Berry and Alex Désert of Hepcat are in the band so I'm pretty pumped to hear more)
- 2000 Tons of TNT's new album (Heard about these guys fairly recently. Great band that kind of reminds me of The Aggrolites. LIsten to their first album here.)
The JB Conspiracy's new album - (Pretty sure they have a new album finally coming out. If their 4 song EP "The Calm" that came out a while ago is anything to go by, the album will be amazing)

I'm sure there are some more coming out that are slipping my mind at the moment, but I'd like to hear what everyone else is looking forward to.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Had no idea there was going to be a new JBC album. :f5:

comedy option: others, others II

X Ray Monster
Feb 6, 2013
Looking into it a little more, JBC seems to be done with their tour with Reel Big Fish and are looking to get the album mixed. Definitely check out The Calm EP when you get a chance if you haven't already.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X Ray Monster posted:

So what albums are everyone looking forward to this year? Last year was a pretty drat good year for ska and I'm hoping for an even better one this year. I'm sure there are more releases, but here's what I can think of at the moment.

-Streetlight Manifesto - "The Hands That Thieve"

I thought you said "albums you were looking forward to this year"

Hobbit
Dec 5, 2009

The Undisputed Despot
of The Atoll of Misfit Toys
I'm waiting to hear that Tomas has teamed up with Axl Rose to do an album.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought there was a new RBF album this year also.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
Plus the 2 new Big D and the Kid's Table albums, that kickstarter is looking like it's going to get funded.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not sure when they were posted? But there's two new shows added to BTMI's site, one in LA and one in San Fran.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 10, 2013

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure Jeff and Tomas have a particle/antiparticle relationship, and BTMI can't stop touring til THTT is released, then they can finally annihilate each other.

On another note: Reel Big Fish just put out a new video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2mpOiUUmc). I really think they do their best work on instrumental songs. They are usually one of my favorites from any given album.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Aw, I was really hoping it was a new track.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

lessthankyle posted:

On another note: Reel Big Fish just put out a new video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox2mpOiUUmc). I really think they do their best work on instrumental songs. They are usually one of my favorites from any given album.

This track is One Step Beyond as gently caress.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hobbit posted:

I'm waiting to hear that Tomas has teamed up with Axl Rose to do an album.

The soundtrack to Duke Nukem Forever. RIP DNF jokes

Miscellaneous_T posted:

This track is One Step Beyond as gently caress.

Very One Step Beyond indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
One Step Beyond, *that's* what I was trying to think of, thanks.