Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Throatwarbler posted:

The way I understand it, any inline 4 stroke engine with an even number of more than 4 cylinders is perfectly balanced, because the movement of each piston is perfectly offset by another piston. You need more than 4 because of the 4 strokes of the combustion cycle each piston can only fire once every 720* of crank rotation.

4 cylinders are still somewhat imbalanced, though. At any given point, 2 cylinders have valves open, so they're balanced, but of the other two one is just starting compression and the other is firing. So there's a strong downward force, which should be balanced by compression, except the compression doesn't become noticeable until the piston's about halfway up so you still feel the shock - it's most obvious in larger motors, which is why you generally don't see 4-pots over 2.3L on a regular basis, 3L being the upper limit from what I remember. With 6 cylinders and up, there is a cylinder under compression to balance the combustion impulse in addition to the piston which is just starting its upward travel, so they balance out better.

:science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

4 cylinders are still somewhat imbalanced

They are pretty terribly unbalanced (inline), requiring a counterbalancing mechanism to make them palatable enough for normal automotive use. That's why he say an even number of MORE THAN 4 cylinders. Meaning I6 or more.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Throatwarbler posted:

Who knows how fast the 177 actually is? Has it ever been tested or driven in anger by anyone? I think they could probably wring more power out of the viper engine if they wanted to, but the Viper already has bigger tires than a Veyron, on a RWD car with a conventional manual transmission I think you're hitting limits other than the engine. I think the horsepower figure on the Aston is more bragging than actually useful, it is like $2 million dollar or whatever car.

Yeah it doesn't seem like a really hard-edged "racing" road car, more of a medium-sozed Grand Tourer that had the engine worked on until they could make that claim.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Here's a good article about engine balance

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/engine/smooth1.htm

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Throatwarbler posted:

The way I understand it, any inline 4 stroke engine with an even number of more than 4 cylinders is perfectly balanced, because the movement of each piston is perfectly offset by another piston. You need more than 4 because of the 4 strokes of the combustion cycle each piston can only fire once every 720* of crank rotation.

I thought all those gigantic diesels were (are?) two-stroke, which pretty much throws 4-stroke balancing out the window.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The one I linked last page was definitely two stroke.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Fucknag posted:

4 cylinders are still somewhat imbalanced, though. At any given point, 2 cylinders have valves open, so they're balanced, but of the other two one is just starting compression and the other is firing. So there's a strong downward force, which should be balanced by compression, except the compression doesn't become noticeable until the piston's about halfway up so you still feel the shock - it's most obvious in larger motors, which is why you generally don't see 4-pots over 2.3L on a regular basis, 3L being the upper limit from what I remember. With 6 cylinders and up, there is a cylinder under compression to balance the combustion impulse in addition to the piston which is just starting its upward travel, so they balance out better.

Yeah, I think I was getting confused with the idea of overlapping powerstrokes, so for a 4 stroke engine you need at least 4 5 cylinders otherwise the power strokes don't overlap, and that's why an I5 is smoother than an I4 despite having an odd number of cylinders. It's early in the morning. :downs:

MrChips posted:

I thought all those gigantic diesels were (are?) two-stroke, which pretty much throws 4-stroke balancing out the window.

I guess so, the posted article says it's a 2 stroke.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 9, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yep... definitely 2 stroke. You can see they only have one valve, which is (of course) loving massive and requires a crane to lift.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Throatwarbler posted:

It's a two-stroke diesel, so that probably doesn't apply.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I5's best engine. Until you come to buy a component only sold in 4's :haw:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

You either need three friends with I5s, or one friend with an I3.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Fucknag posted:

- it's most obvious in larger motors, which is why you generally don't see 4-pots over 2.3L on a regular basis, 3L being the upper limit from what I remember.

Agreed.

Some none-balance shaft big bore 4bangers that come to mind;
- Nissan KA24E /KA24DE (2.4L SOHC / DOHC)
- Subaru EJ25 (2.5L SOHC) (edit, it was early and I was just thinking *hurr 4cylinders*)

Definitely well refined engines when vibrations and noises are considered. :3:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 9, 2013

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Didn't Porche put a 3.0L I4 in the 944? How did they keep that thing from shaking itself apart?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sockington posted:

Agreed.

- Subaru EJ25 (2.5L SOHC)

Yes, but the Subaru isn't an I-4. It's a boxer.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Edit: hahaha, it was a late night with the kids :(

rscott posted:

Didn't Porche put a 3.0L I4 in the 944? How did they keep that thing from shaking itself apart?

Balance shafts.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sockington posted:

Agreed.

- Subaru EJ25 (2.5L SOHC)

Flat-4s don't have the kind of vibration issues discussed above. They still have the issue of non-overlapping power strokes and have a vibration about the vertical axis due to offset connecting rods but I think the severity is much less. The old GM 2.5l Iron Duke would have been a better example.

The S2000 (2l-2.2l) didn't use balance shafts, since they suck up power and add more rotating mass, and neither did the NSX V6 which was a 90* V6 engine that should have had one. It's actually more serious because the vibrations get exponentially worse as engine speed increases. The old Honda gives no fucks about your noise and vibration. :colbert:

rscott posted:

Balance shafts. They licensed the technology from Mitsubishi who first used it on the 4G6x engines.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

rscott posted:

Well, 944s have not exactly had the most impressive record at 24 hours of LeMons. The first one to win was piloted in part by Emanuele Pirro former Audi 24 Hours of Le Mans driver.

If this onboard video of him, casually lapping Road America, periodically checking his watch isn't AI as poo poo. I don't know what is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J7LKgyFweg

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I found a thing

WE BAD

I don't even

http://www.bikemenu.com/photosuniracer.html

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sockington posted:

Balance shafts.

Which were blatantly stolen from Mistubishi. They were even sued over it and lost.

Aurune posted:

Well, 944s have not exactly had the most impressive record at 24 hours of LeMons.

A aging car full of expensive maintenance parts isn't reliable in a race where you have a serious budget restriction? Say it ain't so.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Flat-4s don't have the kind of vibration issues discussed above. They still have the issue of non-overlapping power strokes and have a vibration about the vertical axis due to offset connecting rods but I think the severity is much less. The old GM 2.5l Iron Duke would have been a better

Along with the disadvantage of offset connecting rods is the larger torque variation from the different firing order. Easy to fix with a flywheel with more inertia. Also why people get rough idles when they install lightweight flywheels.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The only way I will ever like a VW.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 9, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Preoptopus posted:

I would rather have that than a Veyron, and I think it would look even better if they ditched the grille and kept the front end as a smooth curve, beetle-style.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

Now let's see one with the front end of a bugatti and the back end of a beetle!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

jonathan posted:

86 Notch

2500lbs
HRE wheels
Inboard cantilever formula style coilovers.
DOHC 5.0L aluminum v8 with a vortech JT trim, and nitrous.
Apparently from friends at SEMA it isn't exactly finished yet.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/01/rollin-in-my-5-0-the-fox-redefined/

You forgot the best picture

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
If I owned that, I would totally replace that Tie Rod clamp with a zip tie. Just cause.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

The S2000 (2l-2.2l) didn't use balance shafts, since they suck up power and add more rotating mass, and neither did the NSX V6 which was a 90* V6 engine that should have had one. It's actually more serious because the vibrations get exponentially worse as engine speed increases. The old Honda gives no fucks about your noise and vibration. :colbert:

It was only recently I learned that balance shafts on I4s turn over at twice the crank frequency. The S2000 would have a pair of shafts turning over at 18000 r/min at redline. :stare:

Another largish four pot that didn't have balance shafts (I THINK) was the Toyota TZ series found in the Toyota Previa but HAHA that van had the most convoluted accessory drive system conceivable so it's not like rotating mass was A Thing Toyota were concerned with.

I don't think the RZ engines had balance shafts either but I can't be hosed to look it up.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sockington posted:

Agreed.

- Subaru EJ25 (2.5L SOHC) (edit, it was early and I was just thinking *hurr 4cylinders*)

My Hino/Toyota is a 3.8L (Turbo diesel though). Lots of larger heavy duty 4 cylinders although 3000rpm is probably the upper operating speed for most of them.

tbb9
Sep 6, 2011
I'm pretty sure the 2.3 in my ranger doesn't have balancing shafts and that's what separates it from the 2.3s in the Mazda3s

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NitroSpazzz posted:

You forgot the best picture

Yeah I tried to post more pictures but my satellite connection from this Arctic base-camp I'm stuck at is giving me poo poo.

(Not actually in the Arctic, just very remote north)

More:

5.0 Aluminum DOHC Coyote motor, mounted way way back. Also notice how far forward the front wheels sit.

quote:

In this view you can really see just how far back the engine sits. In fact, six of the eight cylinders sit behind where the firewall originally was.

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002

Preoptopus posted:

Functional and somehow non jarring turn signals at the top of front wheel fenders would complete this creation.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Aurune posted:

Well, 944s have not exactly had the most impressive record at 24 hours of LeMons. The first one to win was piloted in part by Emanuele Pirro former Audi 24 Hours of Le Mans driver.
I hope they got some penalty laps for bringing a pro driver. Did they at least put on a fake mustache and claim it was someone else?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

It was only recently I learned that balance shafts on I4s turn over at twice the crank frequency. The S2000 would have a pair of shafts turning over at 18000 r/min at redline. :stare:

Another largish four pot that didn't have balance shafts (I THINK) was the Toyota TZ series found in the Toyota Previa but HAHA that van had the most convoluted accessory drive system conceivable so it's not like rotating mass was A Thing Toyota were concerned with.

I don't think the RZ engines had balance shafts either but I can't be hosed to look it up.

The yamaha r1 has an inline 4 which has a cross-plane crank. Instead of having two pairs of pistons matching eachother, they all move seemingly at random.. It makes the power come out smoother because there isn't a momentary wait while one piston slows down and another has to speed things up again. Makes for more power and a very broad torque curve, much more l like a v4 or even a v-twin. However this completely unbalances the engine so it's the only sport bike I know of with a balance shaft. Sounds mind-boggling too but finding a video using my phone is too much effort.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8prYId2dQ

Here's a decent video of a cross-plane R1.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cakefool posted:

Alright. You got me. What sort of engine non-specific part are you forced to buy in sets of 4?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

tbb9 posted:

I'm pretty sure the 2.3 in my ranger doesn't have balancing shafts and that's what separates it from the 2.3s in the Mazda3s

The 2.3 in your Ranger is based in the 70s Pinto Lima block. They even punched that unrefined mess out to 2.5L.

The 2.3 in the Mazda is a completely different motor.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Holy crap that sounds good.

edit for worthwhile contribution:

Left 5 opens to small crest

Most from h ere:

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/reekris

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 9, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

General_Failure posted:

Alright. You got me. What sort of engine non-specific part are you forced to buy in sets of 4?

Sparkplugs. Whenever we did plugs on my buddy's Eurovan (2.5L I5) and Audi 5000 (2.2L I5) we would always have to hit at least two parts stores because they would stock their inventory only in multiples of four (and the multiple was almost always 1, or we just missed the 2nd-last pack of them going out the door).

Once some guy for sure said he had all the plugs we needed in stock, and then when we got there argued with us that the car couldn't possibly have five cylinders and we were idiots until we got him to come outside and count the number of spark plug wires lying atop the valve cover.

I would imagine you'd have the same issue with injectors assuming you could ever get enough of those magic unicorn-semen CIS-E injectors together to make a full set of four in the first place.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
300fps Tire shake gently caress YEAH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfJejgODr3E

Most of these are pro-mod which is the quickest class of production car. Basically, It's a real car body with certain parts being actual factory pieces, and working doors, after this you're into funny car which is basically a short chassis flopper with a fiberglass shell.