Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world

faddypaddy posted:

It was MSA. I am relieved but the language instruction and methods used at DLI have left a very bitter taste in my mouth. I feel like the ME2 school house should be shutdown for fraud, waste, and abuse.

Just curious, care to post the names of your MLI/teachers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod

TheUnhorse posted:

Just curious, care to post the names of your MLI/teachers?

Not really. Any reason you want to know in particular? If so PM me and I will give them to you.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

faddypaddy posted:

Not really. Any reason you want to know in particular? If so PM me and I will give them to you.

Wondering if the teachers are the same ones I had way back when and if your MLI is a big piece of poo poo I might know. I don't have plat though and I'm too lazy to whip up an email address. But do realize that the Army is super desparate for MLIs and it sounds like they're taking any warm body; also the teachers are horribly inept, the hiring and HR practices are terribly corrupt, poor performing teachers are merely shifted around forever, etc. Did you have horseface?

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

No we didn't have horseface. We rotated through MLIs like joe snuffy rotates through hookers on a trip to SE Asia, but with only one exception they all were pretty meh and didn't really give a gently caress about our class. Or any class for that matter. Also our teachers moved around the same way and we saw in excess of 20 teachers throughout the 64 weeks.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

faddypaddy posted:

No we didn't have horseface. We rotated through MLIs like joe snuffy rotates through hookers on a trip to SE Asia, but with only one exception they all were pretty meh and didn't really give a gently caress about our class. Or any class for that matter. Also our teachers moved around the same way and we saw in excess of 20 teachers throughout the 64 weeks.

haha holy poo poo sounds like everything about DLI has gotten shittier than ever. I don't know if you were missing out too much though, I still have yet to figure out what an MLI actually does except proctor some tests. :iiam: oh and try and talk about grammar poorly, i guess

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

TheUnhorse posted:

haha holy poo poo sounds like everything about DLI has gotten shittier than ever. I don't know if you were missing out too much though, I still have yet to figure out what an MLI actually does except proctor some tests. :iiam: oh and try and talk about grammar poorly, i guess

Don't forget the promotion points!

aca
Dec 19, 2004
heh
Hey can any of you AF guys tell me about what it's like at the DLI? My wife's sister got a contract and ships out next month. I'm curious as to the actual academic side since I'm AF and went through a long tech school (11 months 4a2) and know all too well the bullshit the MTL and ropes like to play. What's the day schedule like and do you guys have phases and such?

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

aca posted:

Hey can any of you AF guys tell me about what it's like at the DLI? My wife's sister got a contract and ships out next month. I'm curious as to the actual academic side since I'm AF and went through a long tech school (11 months 4a2) and know all too well the bullshit the MTL and ropes like to play. What's the day schedule like and do you guys have phases and such?

They aren't phases anymore, they're called "periods" (I guess, we all still called them phases outside of squadron). You have ITP (initial entry, no civvies outside of your room, always have a buddy, not allowed off post), ATP (the phase most stay in, civvies allowed after duty day, can go off post, 10pm in-room curfew), and TPG (special applied-for phase, no curfew, only Friday all-calls). I can give more info on the scheduling, do you have PMs? If not I can email you.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
AF night CQ rules I spend about ten hours painting my tiny pewter men and two more walking around opening doors.

Also I failed the Farsi DLPT twice and couldn't be happier because I was goddamn miserable there. Instead they're putting me in a Russian post-class because I came in with a Bachelor's in that and both I and staff think I can pass it with a bit of a brush up. Honestly I expected to take the test with a minimal review period of a week, tops, and when they said they'd get me a few weeks I expected three. Instead I get seven weeks plus one to test, and a total shock that the AF is helping me out.

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.
Dude that's pretty cool! Who knew they would actually try and help you? Russians all seem to pass so I'm gonna bank on you being able to do it no problem. Also that Zombie run was pretty fun. Shooting NCO's with water guns is a blast(pun intended). Also running around post looking like idiots is cool too, but it's nothing that doesn't already happen daily.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good to fuckin' hear, man! Glad some good news is coming out of the AF there for a change.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Softface posted:

AF night CQ rules I spend about ten hours painting my tiny pewter men and two more walking around opening doors.

Also I failed the Farsi DLPT twice and couldn't be happier because I was goddamn miserable there. Instead they're putting me in a Russian post-class because I came in with a Bachelor's in that and both I and staff think I can pass it with a bit of a brush up. Honestly I expected to take the test with a minimal review period of a week, tops, and when they said they'd get me a few weeks I expected three. Instead I get seven weeks plus one to test, and a total shock that the AF is helping me out.

A DLI friend of mine was native-level fluent in Russian and somewhat fluent in Chinese, so naturally they put him in Arabic and absolutely refused to re-language him when he failed it (he hated the language with a passion). You got lucky. :)

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hey, you 35P that either enlisted or reclassed, did you guys have a choice in what language you took? Or was it a case of hey, I want to sign up / reclass and I want 35P, oh wait, I don't want to learn tagalog, gently caress my life?

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

not caring here posted:

Hey, you 35P that either enlisted or reclassed, did you guys have a choice in what language you took? Or was it a case of hey, I want to sign up / reclass and I want 35P, oh wait, I don't want to learn tagalog, gently caress my life?

You pretty much get put in whatever they need to fill at the moment.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's some solid bullshit, right there. So if I were to reclass, I'd basically get stuck with... Arabic, Pushtu or whatever the gently caress, and then if the seats are filled... Hebrew, Korean, or Chinese. I wouldn't mind Hebrew, and I could see the utility in Chinese and kind of Korean, but gently caress the rest of that.

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.
I don't get why everyone hates on the Arabic languages. They're actually pretty useful and I've been able to speak to random strangers quite a bit more often than I thought going into the class. A whole fuckton of people in the world speak some form of Arabic.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
To be honest I just don't like the sound of it. It simply sounds unpleasant to my ears. Also, the (greater) possibility of me getting sent to some shithole in the middle of assfuck nowhere only to sit in a guard tower trying to pretend to not be jerking off doesn't sound like a great time.

At least, that's the impression that I've gotten from arabic skilled army dudes. Still sounds better than combat arms though.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I know it's not an Arab language, but Persian sounds nice :shobon:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
Tagalog and portugese are the most retarded/annoying sounding languages imo

e: also dutch

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Deathy McDeath posted:

I know it's not an Arab language, but Persian sounds nice :shobon:

My teacher explained that by telling us that Spoken Farsi has been designed through many years of laziness to be extremely fluid.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

not caring here posted:

To be honest I just don't like the sound of it. It simply sounds unpleasant to my ears. Also, the (greater) possibility of me getting sent to some shithole in the middle of assfuck nowhere only to sit in a guard tower trying to pretend to not be jerking off doesn't sound like a great time.

At least, that's the impression that I've gotten from arabic skilled army dudes. Still sounds better than combat arms though.

I think the Arabic languages sound cool. I'd love to have an Arabic language. But then again, the grass is always greener on the other side.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Russian can suck a bag of cocks. It always sounds like you're pissed off when you speak it. I've been speaking it for 10 years now I still hate it.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

not caring here posted:

Don't worry dude, unless your AF/Navy your language is almost completely irrelevant as it relates to deployments.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Edit: nm I need to learn to read better

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

I'm at Fort Ord waiting for class to start and half-expecting my old MLI to jump out from behind a column and yell "Punk'd!"

E: no one knows anything about this and neither of my POCs are answering their phones!

Softface fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 11, 2013

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Farsi OPI next week, DLPT in two. poo poo is terrifying.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

If it is any help I know pretty much zero arabic and I did okay.

Super Camper
Jan 22, 2012

faddypaddy posted:

If it is any help I know pretty much zero arabic and I did okay.

I heard a lot of the dlpt is about making an educated guess.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Super Camper posted:

I heard a lot of the dlpt is about making an educated guess.

Sure was that.

Is it common to come out of it feeling like I failed? I went through the course with a 3.7 GPA and I came out of the listening feeling like a retard. Reading tomorrow.

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.
I'm probably going to get rolled in like a week or so. Going back 3 or so units should be interesting. I don't really mind staying a bit longer, but what usually happens when people roll? Is the pass rate high? Will they still reclass if I'm retarded and can't make it the second time? AF if you're wondering.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
This is based off 2006 experience, so take it with salt, but re-classing did happen. We did have two guys who rolled in not pass the DLTP, and one pass by dumb luck (he went sub-pro immediately after going to regular AF and ended up getting his AFSC pulled), so if you do want to do the job afterwards take it seriously. It will be cake for a bit and then the wall, etc. They did get post, though. The other 5 rollers passed, myself included. The average amongst us was 2+,2+ if that helps. Mind if I ask the lang?

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

I've heard air force is actually kicking people out for being subpro, can anyone confirm/deny? Army will be going that way shortly (early next year I hear), or at least forced reclass.

AchmedTheSnake
Apr 6, 2006
This title is clever.
I dunno man all of the separations I've seen are either requested or the people were ridiculous poo poo bags. Like serious gently caress ups. So I think that's just one of those rumors that floats around all the time. I've seen dudes here get BTZ after getting paperwork for poo poo. Then fail and get a reclass. But they didnt get rolled first so that's why I asked.

Edit: Wow I didn't read the question. Operational wise I have no loving clue. Although the dudes that come talk to us say they just reclass you. That was a couple months ago.

AchmedTheSnake fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Feb 28, 2013

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

My experience with watching people roll is that it depends on how seriously you take it. Some guys roll and never let up and do really well. Other guys end up taking it easy since their grades immediately improve after the first unit or two and end up failing. Of the last 5 guys I know who rolled and DLPT'd 2 got above 2/2/1+ while 2 got 1+ or lower across the board and one ended up with a 2+/1+. So if you roll take that poo poo seriously.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Passed Farsi 2/2/1+. I'm not satisfied, but I didn't really put a whole lot of work into studying for the DLPT so I guess I get no more than I deserve.

Atall
May 23, 2012

Black Balloon posted:

Passed Farsi 2/2/1+. I'm not satisfied, but I didn't really put a whole lot of work into studying for the DLPT so I guess I get no more than I deserve.

Congrats, at least you made it.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012

TheUnhorse posted:

I've heard air force is actually kicking people out for being subpro, can anyone confirm/deny? Army will be going that way shortly (early next year I hear), or at least forced reclass.

It can happen. They pull your skill rating, so you can't promote or PCS, and put you into a remedial status. But you have a good deal of time and classes until they actually give you the boot. I think it was something close to two years until the commander has to give a recommendation. Usually it's a keep them.

EDIT: And congrats of the Farsi! Eat the double FLPB for Dari!

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

TheUnhorse posted:

If you are a flyer chances are good that you'll get switched over to X2 (special signals op). The job is pretty loving cool and we're always hurting for more. I don't know how gung-ho the commanders at DLI are about attrition but I wouldn't bet on getting the boot if you are a 1A8.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

Black Balloon posted:

Is it common to come out of it feeling like I failed?

I have 4/4/3 in one language, 3/3 in another, and 3/3/2+ in a third. The first two are my native languages. I have taken the DLPT no less than 14 times in the last 7 years (28 if you could reading and listening as separate tests). Every time I walked out feeling confident, I had not done nearly as well as I thought I had. Every time I walked out feeling no confidence at all (the way you would after taking a DLAB), I got a perfect score. In my experience, it is perfectly normal to feel this way, and you will probably be OK.

IRT "perfect score", I refuse to believe the upper range Russian DLPT goes past 4 :colbert:

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

After only three weeks of Russian Refresher they threw me into the DLPT after a year and some weeks of Farsi. If I pull this off it'll be among the greatest things I've ever done.

e: Oh hey look at that I passed. 2/2+ time to start rolling in the sweet, sweet bonus pay.

Softface fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 6, 2013

• Locked thread