Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The more I dig into the code for this app, the more I question my decision to ever bother mucking with ios programming.

Relying on javascript to manage the contents of a uiwebview is one of the goofiest things I've ever encountered. I don't have anything against javascript, and it's not the fault of Awful specifically (from what I can tell, pretty much anyone working with uiwebview does it the same way), it just seems hilariously broken to use a scripting language to process html when you've got a compiled language sitting right there that should be able to do it just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Random tiny nitpick. On the "jump to page" menu, can you make it so the actual jump to page button says "cancel" or "return" until you move the page selection dial? Every so often I'll accidentally open that window and I'll forgot how to properly close it until I remember to just hit "jump to page" while selecting the current page.

Other than that, no complaints about the app. Thanks for all your hard work!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

jivjov posted:

Random tiny nitpick. On the "jump to page" menu, can you make it so the actual jump to page button says "cancel" or "return" until you move the page selection dial? Every so often I'll accidentally open that window and I'll forgot how to properly close it until I remember to just hit "jump to page" while selecting the current page.

Other than that, no complaints about the app. Thanks for all your hard work!

You can just hit the "Page x of x" button again.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No he knows that, but there's really no visual cue there and sometimes he forgets. I actually agree with him. Changing the text to "Close" while it's open would be nice.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

No he knows that, but there's real no visual cue there and sometimes he forgets. I actually agree with him. Changing the text to "Close" while it's open would be nice.

I agree with you, but it's not the same thing he's saying. He's saying to change the "Jump to Page" button. Pressing that button will reload the page, not just close the menu, so that button shouldn't change.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh wow I really morphed that one when I read it first. So yeah Page x of x would be the one to change. You can even try making the button turn red, might look tacky though.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
If anything maybe allow people to click above the page selector to return to the thread.

supersteve fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 8, 2013

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

supersteve posted:

If anything maybe people to click above the page selector to return to the thread.

I like this idea too. I've definitely tried to close it that way before.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Ha, I accidentally opened the page selector and couldn't figure out how to make it go away so I killed the process :haw:

Kaster Troy
Feb 8, 2010
On the ipad, clicking on the page actually does close the Jump to page window.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the difference in favs and bookmarks? I have zero favs so it seems useless currently.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

kloa posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the difference in favs and bookmarks? I have zero favs so it seems useless currently.

You favourite the forums themselves (GBS, YOSPOS, Games etc.)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

xzzy posted:

The more I dig into the code for this app, the more I question my decision to ever bother mucking with ios programming.

Relying on javascript to manage the contents of a uiwebview is one of the goofiest things I've ever encountered. I don't have anything against javascript, and it's not the fault of Awful specifically (from what I can tell, pretty much anyone working with uiwebview does it the same way), it just seems hilariously broken to use a scripting language to process html when you've got a compiled language sitting right there that should be able to do it just fine.

Don't let my questionable decisions influence your opinion of iOS dev as a whole!

But yes webview sucks. As soon as we require iOS 6 I'ma starting on native rendering.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

jivjov posted:

This is somewhat intentional: it lets you reload the current page. But confusing you was not intentional, and there's a few ways to fix it, possibly including:

supersteve posted:

If anything maybe allow people to click above the page selector to return to the thread.

which I've been meaning to do for ages!

eames
May 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

Oh, I never realised that Awful relies on js for the rendering.
That would explain the very noticeable speedup I’m seeing after installing "Nitrous" (enables JIT compilation in every application, not just Safari) on my old iPad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eames posted:

That would explain the very noticeable speedup I’m seeing after installing "Nitrous" (enables JIT compilation in every application, not just Safari) on my old iPad.

Yeah, I suppose it explains why people on older devices were complaining about sluggishness too.

It's not a bad way to do things, in concept. Let webkit do what it's good at, and let your app code do what it's good at. But it's ridiculously hard to debug javascript without a debug console. And developing anything in javascript typically requires lots and lots of looking at console logs.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I just noticed that when you have the sidebar stickied in landscape mode, and try and watch a video in YouTube, it only "fullscreens" to the size of the web view window instead of actually full-screening, leaving the sidebar on the screen.

I know this has nothing to do with the app, but rather that Google felt the need to ensure YouTubes vastly important UI (and therefore, branding) was visible at all times and hijacked iOS' ability to fullscreen things pretty well. Seriously gently caress Google forever for screwing with that to shovel YouTubes UI into my face, it took away a decent feature and added nothing in return, except maybe the select quality button, which honestly should just default to best at this point.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

eames posted:

I'm surprised it was that noticeable. Less surprised, in retrospect. I (or, ideally, someone else) should do some profiling to see whether it's faster to load the webview once and render in js, or have the webview load request after request. One way or another, I am sure we can render posts faster.

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I suppose it explains why people on older devices were complaining about sluggishness too.

It's not a bad way to do things, in concept. Let webkit do what it's good at, and let your app code do what it's good at. But it's ridiculously hard to debug javascript without a debug console. And developing anything in javascript typically requires lots and lots of looking at console logs.

Recent versions of Safari can hook a web console up to any webview in any app running on the simulator or a USB-connected device. Compared to console logging, it's a miracle. Try it out.

We need to use JavaScript so long as we're using a webview: to make buttons click and settings apply. How much we use JavaScript beyond that point is up to us. It used to be less, I added more for rendering posts, maybe we move the slider back down.

If it's not clear: I'm absolutely not a fan of the webview, and I'm eager to revisit that decision!

SaturdayKnight posted:

I just noticed that when you have the sidebar stickied in landscape mode, and try and watch a video in YouTube, it only "fullscreens" to the size of the web view window instead of actually full-screening, leaving the sidebar on the screen.

If I have to jump through hoops to fix Vimeo embeds, I'll take a swing at this too. I agree that it is poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kaster Troy posted:

On the ipad, clicking on the page actually does close the Jump to page window.

That would be the ideal solution.

pokeyman posted:

which I've been meaning to do for ages!

And you're already all over it. Huzzah.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Uhh. I think I hit the forums list button and a thread at the same time. It's not a problem, it's just weird

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Liar Lyre posted:

Uhh. I think I hit the forums list button and a thread at the same time. It's not a problem, it's just weird

I think you just accidentally discovered a hidden feature. Dual thread browsing. Double the open threads, double the posting.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Hey, look at that. It's actually kinda neat.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Wait how do you make that happen? I've been playing around and finding other bugs/features but I can't find that one.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

pokeyman posted:

Wait how do you make that happen? I've been playing around and finding other bugs/features but I can't find that one.

I hit the button to go to the forums list on the bottom and any thread from my bookmarks at the same time. If the thread doesn't pop up immediately, click the bookmarks button and the thread should come up.

Liar Lyre fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 9, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I can make the thread look permanently selected in the list, but I still can't get two threads up. I'll keep trying!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to view text inside spoiler tags in the Awful app?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

Is there a way to view text inside spoiler tags in the Awful app?

Tap the black spoiler text.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My keyboard is working now, thanks for whatever you did to fix it, much love!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It was literally nothing. But I'm glad it's fixed!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So am I!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Not sure if this is a recent development, but I've noticed that YouTube links opened within awful don't seem to play audio. Example post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433957&perpage=40&pagenumber=154#post412390395

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

the yeti posted:

Not sure if this is a recent development, but I've noticed that YouTube links opened within awful don't seem to play audio. Example post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3433957&perpage=40&pagenumber=154#post412390395

Hrm, I get audio from all four videos in that post. Can you do me a favour and let me know what version of Awful you have, what version of iOS you have, and whether this happens on an iPhone or iPad? I don't know if I can do anything about it, but that info might help.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

the yeti posted:

This might sound patronising but it's not; you didn't have the mute switch on did you? Awful obeys that switch for embedded videos which you might not expect as Safari/Chrome/etc ignore it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Froist posted:

This might sound patronising but it's not; you didn't have the mute switch on did you? Awful obeys that switch for embedded videos which you might not expect as Safari/Chrome/etc ignore it.

This I should fix. (Now that you mention it, I have a vague memory of someone pointing this out before. If so, apologies; it's on the list now.)

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Errors ahoy!

Can no longer post from awfulapp on iOS 5

Found this in console among others that I'll be editing in since the console cleared my error list when I tried to return to it.
nested push animation can result in corrupted navigation bar

Can not edit (the option does not exist) one of my previous posts.

Lots of memory warnings as well.

Edit: the other errors did not reappear, but I'll get them for you when I see them again. As of now, awful on 5.1 is read only.

Edit 2: all posts are being marked as read before displaying them, taking you to the top of the page and leaving no indication of where you left off.

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 10, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Cryptic Edge posted:

Errors ahoy!

Can no longer post from awfulapp on iOS 5

Found this in console among others that I'll be editing in since the console cleared my error list when I tried to return to it.
nested push animation can result in corrupted navigation bar

Can not edit (the option does not exist) one of my previous posts.

Lots of memory warnings as well.

Edit: the other errors did not reappear, but I'll get them for you when I see them again. As of now, awful on 5.1 is read only.

Edit 2: all posts are being marked as read before displaying them, taking you to the top of the page and leaving no indication of where you left off.

Echoing this, also running 1.10.2 Beta #4 on iPhone 4S w/ iOS 6.1 jailbroken

Can't reply in threads. It says it's replied and goes to reload the thread, shoots you to the top of the last page with all posts marked read.

When opening a thread with unread posts, it starts me at the first unread post but colors all posts as read.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

pseudonordic posted:

Can't reply in threads. It says it's replied and goes to reload the thread, shoots you to the top of the last page with all posts marked read.

When opening a thread with unread posts, it starts me at the first unread post but colors all posts as read.

Same for me on both.

e: iphone 4s, 6.1 not jailbroken

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
This is what I get in System Console when I try to post:

2013-02-11 00:30:58 +0000 kbd -[TIXPCDataTransport _handleForPurpose:withReplyBlock:] couldn't get data source for purpose=__TIRDTAB

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Posting works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Me tooooo... (Actually have no idea.)

Edit: Woohoo! iPhone 6.1

• Locked thread