Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
What's a decent and affordable mousepad for a G500? My current pad (plastic Team Fortress 2 job) gets grimy pretty quickly and isn't as slick/responsive as I'd like. I'm not the powergamer type but I do play a fair bit of everything. I also do some graphic design work, so accuracy is important (though that might have more to do with the mouse itself). I might try some new feet...I've had it for almost 2 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
If you're happy with the tracking performance of the one you've got, and it was a cheap/free thing, you'll probably be fine with anything you pick up. The main benefit of laser sensors is that they are significantly less surface-dependent than LED-based sensors. Your personal preference on the amount of friction the pad generates is probably more important than its tracking characteristics.

If you really want to spend money to deliver optimal performance, G500's sensor tends to work best on surfaces that are slightly reflective, though not anything like a mirror or glass. It works slightly less well on matte surfaces like a black cloth mat, though you really have to be pretty sensitive to it or run a test software to be able to tell. People tend to generalize that laser = hard mat or optical = soft mat but that's not really the entire story. The Corsair MM200 is a decent cloth mat for the G500's sensor, and their MM400 or the SteelSeries 4HD/9HD are reasonably good hard mats. None of these are super-cheap $4 jobs, but should be obtainable for $15-$20 or less if you wait for a sale.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

I got excellent tracking with my G500 on an icemat (glass mouse pad). I would describe the surface as semi-gloss.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Went out and bought a Razer DeathAdder today. Really wanted to get the Naga for the extra buttons but didn't figure it worth $30 extra.

Then I read the reviews and holy jesus do these things seem to fall apart. Story after story of the mousewheel going nuts or getting unintentional double clicks all within the first six months. I've had this old MX 310 for over two years and it still works perfectly despite loads of abuse.

Is Razer really as bad as all that? Am I guaranteed a lovely broken mouse? I really need the extra two buttons for hotkeys in games, but I don't want to flush 40 bucks down the drain.

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is whether it's normal for mice to only last 6 months, and under what conditions? Am I just some freak outlier to have had a mouse last two years?

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 6, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Chickenwalker posted:

Went out and bought a Razer DeathAdder today. Really wanted to get the Naga for the extra buttons but didn't figure it worth $30 extra.

Then I read the reviews and holy jesus do these things seem to fall apart. Story after story of the mousewheel going nuts or getting unintentional double clicks all within the first six months. I've had this old MX 310 for over two years and it still works perfectly despite loads of abuse.

Is Razer really as bad as all that? Am I guaranteed a lovely broken mouse? I really need the extra two buttons for hotkeys in games, but I don't want to flush 40 bucks down the drain.

Edit: I guess what I'm asking is whether it's normal for mice to only last 6 months, and under what conditions? Am I just some freak outlier to have had a mouse last two years?

My deathadder has been going strong for 9 months now. I spend most of my spare time in front of my PC, and it survived Diablo 3

standardtoaster
May 22, 2009
Why doesn't logitech make better track balls to compete with Kensington? Would buy.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chickenwalker posted:

All their wired mice have 2 year warranties. Keep your receipt.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

standardtoaster posted:

Why doesn't logitech make better track balls to compete with Kensington? Would buy.
I don't work in that group, but from the data I've seen the trackball market is tiny and it's probably judged not to be worth the time/effort to do more than we do.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Goo posted:

I don't work in that group, but from the data I've seen the trackball market is tiny and it's probably judged not to be worth the time/effort to do more than we do.

The M570 is great, but I'd love that free wheel style mouse wheel found on the G500. It'd be almost perfect.

Chickenwalker posted:

Razor stuff has a hallow feel to the build quality. I can't really put my finger on it, but I think it's the weight and type of plastic they use? They always feel kind of cheap. The one I used to have lasted about 7 months.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Philthy posted:

All their wired mice have 2 year warranties. Keep your receipt.

Shame they didn't want to honour it when my Naga failed because it would still work on certain machines (i.e. it was a firmware fault).

I'll never buy razer again.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Ragehaver posted:

The M570 is great, but I'd love that free wheel style mouse wheel found on the G500. It'd be almost perfect.

Razor stuff has a hallow feel to the build quality. I can't really put my finger on it, but I think it's the weight and type of plastic they use? They always feel kind of cheap. The one I used to have lasted about 7 months.

Yeah, it's cheap, like I said, my habu was a fine mouse, felt nice, good button design, but double click sometime didn't work? It wasn't just me.

fyi, Best Buy is having a nice sale on the M510 and M525 for 17.99, if anyone is looking for basic mouse, this looks like a good deal.

Femur fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 6, 2013

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 3, 2017

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm just really torn. I want a good, reliable mouse with more buttons, mainly for MWO and assigning several weapon groups. I don't want side buttons I cant get used to or reach, or that take too much pressure to push so my aim goes off. I currently have a three/four button mouse (standard mouse with one side button) and it works well enough, but I'd really like more options. I was looking at the Logitech G600, but reviews said the buttons were awkward. The Razer (I know) Naga Hex looks neat and probably perfect for what I'd want, but it's Razer and their reliability (or lack thereof) is the stuff of legend. The Razer Naga (again I know) looks really similar to the G600 but again, Razer. Then the Cyborg R.A.T just looks really neat. I'm totally indecisive here, goons. :confused:

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 6, 2013

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Wizard of Smart posted:

I'm just really torn. I want a good, reliable mouse with more buttons, mainly for MWO and assigning several weapon groups. I don't want side buttons I cant get used to or reach, or that take too much pressure to push so my aim goes off. I currently have a three/four button mouse (standard mouse with one side button) and it works well enough, but I'd really like more options. I was looking at the Logitech G600, but reviews said the buttons were awkward. The Razer (I know) Naga Hex looks neat and probably perfect for what I'd want, but it's Razer and their reliability (or lack thereof) is the stuff of legend. The Razer Naga (again I know) looks really similar to the G600 but again, Razer. Then the Cyborg R.A.T just looks really neat. I'm totally indecisive here, goons. :confused:

How many buttons do you need? The Logitech G700 is one of the better multiple-side-buttons mice. I'd avoid the Razer offerings, and the Cyborg RAT has a lot of reliability issues.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Ragehaver posted:

How many buttons do you need? The Logitech G700 is one of the better multiple-side-buttons mice. I'd avoid the Razer offerings, and the Cyborg RAT has a lot of reliability issues.

I'd prefer at least 7/9 buttons for regular use. I've been kind of looking at the Corsair Vengeance M90, which has received mixed reviews because the associated software is/was a beta and is/was not very intuitive, but the mouse itself has been called solid.

Welp. Went with the G700. Worst case, I can return it. I hadn't even looked at that one but it seems perfect. Thanks a lot Ragehaver!

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 6, 2013

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't really understand how people simply looking for a solid and reliable product still end up buying Razer almost a decade after its lifeless husk was take over from Singapore and invigorated almost exclusively through brand management and marketing in general. If you want the coolest looking poo poo around and grab new gaming periphery and the likes once per year at minimum, sure, you go to Razer or one of the handful of other companies following the exact same busines model with miniscule differences ("Okay, so Razer has green, lets take blue or red"), one of which is even literally a competitive clone founded by a fired former Razer employee.

But if I'm not shelling out Razer-cash for a product I want to rely on for a longer period and don't care about looks or always having the newest poo poo, then I look to other tried & true companies with products that don't have ludicrously high RMA rates or abysmal customer reviews within the first 6 months of product-release.

Yeah, the <arachnid/ophidian/insecotid-named product> looks cool as all gently caress and sure, I'd like a <brand new HID/UI/ergonomical/haptical-feature>, and while I'm at it, yeah, I'd love all of that with <never-before-seen firmware/software>, especially because I'm really fond of <marketing slogan/campaign/series> but if I'm paying those kinds of prices, I want all of that to a) work b) reliably and c) stick around for more than a year.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying every Razer product is unreliable junk, my DeathAdder has served me well for over 5 years and my eXactMat (actually had to check what to capitalize there) is still my favorite mousepad by a far margin, but people need to look beyond the brand and sift through some drat customer reviews and not just get sucked in by (admittedly, brilliant) marketing.

This should be the OP.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
I've always viewed Microsoft as outing the best mice on the market. Logitech comes in second, with Kensington/Steelseries (steelseries still being a Microsoft subsidiary) tied for third.

I currently use an Intellimouse 3.1 Explorer and a Trackman Marble.

Now, on Intellimouse Explorers: Buy whenever seen.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So how do people feel about Steel Series in comparison? My laptop's keyboard is Steel Series branded and it's pretty nice. Only problem is Steel Series is pretty much impossible to find in brick and mortar places over here, so I'd have to order it and that means there's a good chance it might be fake given where I'm located.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Wizard of Smart posted:

I'd prefer at least 7/9 buttons for regular use. I've been kind of looking at the Corsair Vengeance M90, which has received mixed reviews because the associated software is/was a beta and is/was not very intuitive, but the mouse itself has been called solid.

Welp. Went with the G700. Worst case, I can return it. I hadn't even looked at that one but it seems perfect. Thanks a lot Ragehaver!

I've been using the G700 for over a year and I love it, it's the best Mouse I've owned. The side buttons aren't too obtrusive, they're easy to hit individually, the freewheel toggle (and left/right wheel clicks) are nice additions, and it doesn't glow like the sun when it's plugged in. gently caress everything Razer produce, everything of theirs I've used has gone to poo poo within 6-10 months, which is a shame because I liked the Naga, the G700 is just far, far superior. Plus you get awesome Logitech customer support and decent drivers that don't require handing your details over to Mr.Razer himself

Edit - And when it's cabled via USB, it's connected to the PC directly - it's not using a Wireless connection which is a common misconception with the G700

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

Astrobastard posted:

I've been using the G700 for over a year and I love it, it's the best Mouse I've owned. The side buttons aren't too obtrusive, they're easy to hit individually, the freewheel toggle (and left/right wheel clicks) are nice additions, and it doesn't glow like the sun when it's plugged in. gently caress everything Razer produce, everything of theirs I've used has gone to poo poo within 6-10 months, which is a shame because I liked the Naga, the G700 is just far, far superior. Plus you get awesome Logitech customer support and decent drivers that don't require handing your details over to Mr.Razer himself

Edit - And when it's cabled via USB, it's connected to the PC directly - it's not using a Wireless connection which is a common misconception with the G700

If Logitech would make a corded G700 with a ring finger rest (think g600 but not a button), it would probably be nearly perfect. My hand grew sore after using it a while due to the shape. Even with "claw" grip, my pinky and ring finger would rub together in a weird way. I'm not crazy wild on the shape of the G700 side buttons, but they are more press-able than the other options for multiple button mice.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The g700 is a wireless and corded mouse. The charger cable transmits data over USB instead of wirelessly when it's plugged in. You can then remove the battery, wireless dongle and cover plate to save weight as well.

Does anybody else make a dual wireless/corded mouse? Why did it take until 2013 for me to see what was an obvious solution from way back in the days of laggy wireless mice? I rushed out and bought a g700 the very second I read that it also did data over usb for that reason alone. I didn't even care about the "ergonomics". Getting used to it is the tiniest price of admission for this kind of feature.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

Zigmidge posted:

The g700 is a wireless and corded mouse. The charger cable transmits data over USB instead of wirelessly when it's plugged in. You can then remove the battery, wireless dongle and cover plate to save weight as well.

Yeah, I'm aware. I'd just rather pay less and not get features I don't need. The wireless seemed to rip through batteries on gaming mode. I guess the upside is you can consider it a replaceable cable if it breaks.

That silly Tt level 10 gaming mouse is half off on Newegg today. Anyone tried one? Considering it's brand new and half off, I'm guessing the answer is "it sucks."

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Ragehaver posted:

Yeah, I'm aware. I'd just rather pay less and not get features I don't need. The wireless seemed to rip through batteries on gaming mode. I guess the upside is you can consider it a replaceable cable if it breaks.

That silly Tt level 10 gaming mouse is half off on Newegg today. Anyone tried one? Considering it's brand new and half off, I'm guessing the answer is "it sucks."

Gaming mode is just marketing anyways. If I'm doing serious FPSing the thing is going to be wired no matter how good anyone touts their wireless to be. I'm probably just playing strategy or some lame mmo if I'm in wireless mode (Sitting in bed or on the couch) so a polling rate of 150 is much more than enough and the battery lasts hours and hours and hours at that setting.

e: I agree though, it's a ridiculously expensive mouse if you're not in it for the wireless.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Wizard of Smart posted:

I have a G600 and the buttons aren't really awkward. I haven't used a Razer Naga before but with the sidebuttons being flat, I imagine it may take longer to memorize the location of buttons. With the G600, the shape of the buttons helps you memorize their placement much more easily. It'd still a bit pointless to try and use all the buttons unless you're playing a game that would require it. I generally stick with the rear six buttons with my thumb resting on the middle row. If there's a local store that has mice on display, check to see if they have a G600 and Naga and compare for yourself.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Chickenwalker posted:

So how do people feel about Steel Series in comparison? My laptop's keyboard is Steel Series branded and it's pretty nice. Only problem is Steel Series is pretty much impossible to find in brick and mortar places over here, so I'd have to order it and that means there's a good chance it might be fake given where I'm located.

I've got the Sensei and my GF has the Kana. Both have been really great. I like all the options on the Sensei for gaming, and actually use them. Build quality so far has been fine. The Kana is basically the same as the Sensei minus the gaming options and configurable LED colors.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Is the G9X worth the 43 bucks on amazon if Im looking for a new mouse?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S0KHIC...W79YM0R8EFX3CXC

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

fyallm posted:

Is the G9X worth the 43 bucks on amazon if Im looking for a new mouse?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005S0KHIC...W79YM0R8EFX3CXC

If you "claw" your mouse, then yes, it's one of your better options and can't beat it for that price.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Ragehaver posted:

If you "claw" your mouse, then yes, it's one of your better options and can't beat it for that price.

What does 'claw' my mouse mean? I could never use the side buttons on my copper head because it just felt awkward.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

fyallm posted:

What does 'claw' my mouse mean? I could never use the side buttons on my copper head because it just felt awkward.

Have an infographic:

The buttons on models like the copperhead aren't exactly awkward, they just can't be reached without clawing the mouse and going from a regular palm-grip to a claw-grip is a considerable transition. If you're into competitive gaming and really value another set of buttons on the right side, it might be worth the switch though.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 9, 2013

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Have an infographic:

The buttons on models like the copperhead aren't exactly awkward, they just can't be reached without clawing the mouse and going from a regular palm-grip to a claw-grip is a considerable transition. If you're into competitive gaming and really value another set of buttons on the right side, it might be worth the switch though.

cool thank you, bought

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
MS Comfort Mouse 6000 is the best mouse I have ever used. Light, large enough for my hand, tracks perfectly with the correct acceleration curve. I can't understand why anyone would want one of those Logitech boat anchors.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

redeyes posted:

MS Comfort Mouse 6000 is the best mouse I have ever used. Light, large enough for my hand, tracks perfectly with the correct acceleration curve. I can't understand why anyone would want one of those Logitech boat anchors.
This is the exact same thing you said four years ago in this very thread, with no other post in between. Shooting for some kind of record?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

redeyes posted:

Don't those comfort mice not have notches in the scroll wheel? I couldn't tolerate that.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

redeyes posted:

Ergonomics? I had a Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000, but it never fit my hand the way my Performance MX does. Zero fatigue and no awkward clawing, either.

Speaking of MX, anyone who's having double click issues should check this how-to on how to (temporarily) fix it. It's not so much Logitech's build quality as it is OMRON's limp-wristed spring-based switches. Apologies if this was already posted elsewheres.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

This is the exact same thing you said four years ago in this very thread, with no other post in between. Shooting for some kind of record?

At least I am consistent.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
My Sensei is crapping out on me.

Sending it in but it might take like 3 weeks, anyone recommend something cheap to replace it with in the meantime? I'd prefer something under $20 bucks and available for Prime shipping. Precision is pretty important to me since I only really play FPS games.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Shogunner posted:

My Sensei is crapping out on me.

Sending it in but it might take like 3 weeks, anyone recommend something cheap to replace it with in the meantime? I'd prefer something under $20 bucks and available for Prime shipping. Precision is pretty important to me since I only really play FPS games.

Search Intellimice/Intellimouse Explorer

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

sports posted:

Search Intellimice/Intellimouse Explorer

Those are hella expensive now. :(

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Shogunner posted:

Those are hella expensive now. :(

There's plenty of sub $20 ones on Ebay. Anyways, they are far less temporary than most mice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
Ended up with this, http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-E-3lue-Precision-Control-1600dpi/dp/B005CPGHAA/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Cheap and has prime. Sensor is an Avago 5050, DPI switch, looks pretty nice I suppose, and it's Japanese. Can't be that horrible I guess. I'll report back once I get it.