Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
1/35 is probably not unstorable really. It'd be comparable to one of the big D&D dragons or most of the Gunpla models I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Nebakenezzer posted:

Except for space. I'm not sure what you'd do with a giant Tiger model in a tiny apartment.

It's 1/35th scale. That''s the standard model tank scale. It'd probably be about 5 inches long.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

Except for space. I'm not sure what you'd do with a giant Tiger model in a tiny apartment.

It's 1:35th scale, they aren't so big. I have 10 1:35th scale tanks, 2 armoured cars, 2 regular cars, 3 motorcycles, 4 guns, nearly 200 guys (4 of which are cavalry) and diorama elements, and they all fit within one shelving unit.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

It's 1:35th scale, they aren't so big. I have 10 1:35th scale tanks, 2 armoured cars, 2 regular cars, 3 motorcycles, 4 guns, nearly 200 guys (4 of which are cavalry) and diorama elements, and they all fit within one shelving unit.

At that price I figured it was massive! 1/6 or something. I figured it'd go along with that 1.5m tall Saturn V.

drat, that must be a nice kit.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
The following post has nothing to do with glue, and i am sorry for that. For the record I like elmer\'s rubber cement for huffing and Zap-a-gap, or "thick CA glue", for making things stick together.

First, a new airbrush. I am looking at Badger's Patriot but I am seeing some love for the Iwata CR and Eclipse in here. All i really want is a fine line without any splatter and my Paasche VL is one messy fucker. What I have not seen is actual Badger owners, nor folks whom have said "i had lovely airbrush XYZ but airbrush ABC was better because RST". That's probably because no-one wants to own up to buying one of those lovely testors airbrushes... i dig.

Second, I am looking for a very highly functional Grumman F4F kit. Understand that I am recalling this kit from my youth, before I found firecrackers... i remember it like it was 1/35th; it was as large as the other boy's 1/48th F-14. The landing gear and wings were made to fold up/in but i glued that with a sureness.... i cannot find this kit, please help me make it right.

Third and last (for now) i am really into sci-fi kit bashing but i have difficulty with procuring weapons. Using gundam models and things like forgeworld for this purpose gets expensive quickly. i was wondering if anyone had any sources for this beyond fabricating guns on my own.

Thanks and stuff.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

There are two different 1/32 F4F Wildcats in the Hyperscale Gallery. One by Revell and the other by Trumpeter. Both have the option to fold the wings, although the Trumpeter is the only one where the modeler actually folded them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Forgeworld is OBSCENELY expensive even by general model standards. Best bet is mainline 40k kits, like Imperial Guard heavy weapons squads. The box will cost you 12-15 euro but has four different guns etc.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

DiHK posted:

First, a new airbrush. I am looking at Badger's Patriot but I am seeing some love for the Iwata CR and Eclipse in here. All i really want is a fine line without any splatter and my Paasche VL is one messy fucker. What I have not seen is actual Badger owners, nor folks whom have said "i had lovely airbrush XYZ but airbrush ABC was better because RST". That's probably because no-one wants to own up to buying one of those lovely testors airbrushes... i dig.

Badger is having an insane sale on the Sotar 20/20 on Amazon. Normally $420, it's on sale for $76! They're out of stock now, but you can order it now to secure the price, and they'll ship it when they get more in. The Sotar is pretty drat good airbrush too.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah normally there would be discussions about pros and cons of different airbrushes but if you are considering buying an airbrush at all there's zero reason not to get that Sotar for 75 dollars.

What I did was buy that deal and then get a 70 dollar compressor that came with a cheapo airbrush, which I use for priming and basecoating, since the smaller needle on the Sotar is less ideal for larger spray like that.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Badger is having an insane sale on the Sotar 20/20 on Amazon. Normally $420, it's on sale for $76! They're out of stock now, but you can order it now to secure the price, and they'll ship it when they get more in. The Sotar is pretty drat good airbrush too.

JINKIES! on it.

Yeah Forgeworld is stuped 'spensive but you can get vehicle sized weapons al a carte, so it's not the same level of insane (although they likely hiked their prices up since i last browsed their stuff, and probably by a margin of stupid). IG weapons are a thought... but the troop carried weapons are mostly too small for what i want. Thats why gunpla stuff is so far the best option i've found; the right size and close enough to the right style...

That's not the F4F i am looking for. Maybe i have the wrong plane but i know that the landing gear was mounted under the engine and i am pretty sure that's the only US carrier plane that has gear like that. The model I had wasn't like "build it one way or the other", it was full on transformer, and man did i make a mockery of it at 12 years old (the kit likely doesn't exist anymore, it's been 25 years)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Forgeworld also seems to have prices that are far more stable than their parent company, Games Workshop.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Fearless posted:

Forgeworld also seems to have prices that are far more stable than their parent company, Games Workshop.

Stable in that they've been way too high forever, GW Prime is just catching up faster, that's all.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

DiHK posted:

Second, I am looking for a very highly functional Grumman F4F kit. Understand that I am recalling this kit from my youth, before I found firecrackers... i remember it like it was 1/35th; it was as large as the other boy's 1/48th F-14. The landing gear and wings were made to fold up/in but i glued that with a sureness.... i cannot find this kit, please help me make it right.

You had the Revell 1/32 kit which is ancient, originally issued in 1967. The Trumpeter kit is less than a decade old. The Revell issue should be easy to find, and cheap. I don't recall the landing gear being functional but the wings definitely had a "working" fold mechanism.

Be warned that kits from your childhood are always a lot worse than you remember, although the 32 scale Revell stuff from the era had very good outlines.

I'm looking at you Monogram 1/48 multiengine bombers.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
So I'm mostly finished with my Jagdpanzer IV/L70a. There's still some stuff left to do (i think I want to do something with the undercarriage there and try pigments) and there's some things I wish I'd done differently, but I can't start over at this point.

imgur album

I definitely shouldn't have done this kit at my level of skill. A lot of things got screwed up/done plain wrong and the paint job ended up kind of lovely thanks to me not having access to an airbrush or very good hand brushing skills. I got a filter on and working, and it looks nicer not in the blurry photos, but I used too dark of a color so everything is a bit more orange than I would have liked it. I still don't have the hang of chipping. I guess that's just something that's going to take a lot of practice?

The whole thing's been a learning experience, at least. I'm presently working on a Tamiya bulldog, I also picked up a really, really crappy Lindberg "german armored car" model in 1/48 scale that I'm going to use as a practice piece to learn how to do pigments and weathering properly. It was five bucks, so if it's the shittiest model, I'm OK with that.

(on the note of the lovely five dollar model, I don't know if it's just the local Tuesday Mornings, but if you have Tuesday Morning where you live you might check their toy section, all of the local ones out here have tons of Lindberg model kits for five bucks each and some of them are pretty complicated, but I get the feeling Lindberg is kind of a lovely company because their detail is not exactly phenomenal and the scales listed on the boxes are rarely correct.)

I also put in an HLJ order for some cheaper gunpla (7 FG kits and the HG RX-79/Zaku two-pack from the very start of HGUC. Going to probably resell some of the FG kits to cover order costs.) and picked up one of the 1/72 Tiger tanks that were on clearance. I've got a lot of models coming, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to improve before I tackle another complicated Dragon kit. I appreciated the complexity of this thing, I really did - I just wasn't ready for it at all.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 7, 2013

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I think I saw the Lindberg armoured car. It was a $20 approximation of a SdKfz 222, where the crewmen were all identical, and had binoculars as a part of their face. I figured I should just pay another 20 and get a Tamiya one.

lovely kits like that are something you use for practicing scratch-building parts, camo nets, or wreck conversions. A little work with some household tools, and your lovely intact armoured car becomes and awesome exploded armoured car!

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 7, 2013

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hope you guys don't mind me crashing your armor-party. Got a '64 GTO kit from fellow goon Left Ventricle for AI Secret Santa and I snagged a couple pictures of the current progress. I apologize for the lovely-poo poo cell-phone pics, but they were just quick grabs to send to him.

Engine is finished with the exception of plug wires:

Nigh-finished chassis waiting for engine:

Coil-overs for the rear:

Horrible picture of approximate final profile:

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 8, 2013

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Nice! Is that stock from the kit, or are you using detail-up parts? What kit is it?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
It's stock with the exception of the spark plug boots and the headers. Boots are vinyl tubing from a Tamiya 1/12 bike kit and the headers are hand-bent solder. The kit is a reissue of an old Monogram kit.

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Just an update about my Scale Model Helper, I've added all the Vallejo colors to it.

I'm thinking I'll create a simple web site in order to increase exposure to the application next.

I'm interested in hearing your opinions about two topics:
1. Some colors don't have specific colors, and they just have the color in the FS column, which is the color they should have had in the first place, for example, Vallejo 62009 Cobalt Blue. Should I assign the color to that specific color, or would that just cause an overload of colors ?
2. I've added the color serie name under the color name itself, for example again, Vallejo 62009 which is RC Color, but I think it just wastes space. Should I move it to be alongside the color name, or the color attributes ?

p.s. I'm trying to increase visibility of the application in the Google Play store, so if you find my application useful, could you please rate or write a review about it in Google Play?

p.p.s. Did you know that the RAL standard has a color number 1021 called Rape Yellow?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GreenDragon42 posted:

p.p.s. Did you know that the RAL standard has a color number 1021 called Rape Yellow?
Rape[seed] blooms bright yellow, what of it?

GreenDragon42
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, so that's where the name comes from, I haven't seen it referenced anywhere other than the word Rape, and I never heard of the plant Rapeseed, either. Because calling a color Rape Yellow is kinda weird, ya know... :)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I've never understood that one called Sexual Interference of A Minor Plea-Bargained Down To Misconduct Phthalo Blue.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

GreenDragon42 posted:

Ah, so that's where the name comes from, I haven't seen it referenced anywhere other than the word Rape, and I never heard of the plant Rapeseed, either. Because calling a color Rape Yellow is kinda weird, ya know... :)

Canadians had the sensible idea of calling it Canola. Canola is a pretty yellow flower that is made into cooking oil.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Attention airbrush masters! I need some fresh eyes to look over an 'introduction to airbrushing' outline I've done and would really appreciate all the help I can get. If anyone with experience has a few minutes to spare, please PM me, post in the thread or email me at krushgroove169 at gmail

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Hope you guys don't mind me crashing your armor-party. Got a '64 GTO kit from fellow goon Left Ventricle for AI Secret Santa and I snagged a couple pictures of the current progress. I apologize for the lovely-poo poo cell-phone pics, but they were just quick grabs to send to him.

Nigh-finished chassis waiting for engine:

Coil-overs for the rear:

Horrible picture of approximate final profile:

Wooo another auto modeler! Looks good. I like those headers.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Some of you guys may remember I posted a little while back that I was thinking of tackling a wooden ship kit, and had joined the forums over at Model Ship World. They get by on small donations from users, and this year finally had enough cash to upgrade to a modern forums package. So they get it implemented, it's up for two days, and then their hosting has a hardware failure on the main site.... and their backups.

From what it looks like, that's 7 years of posts, build logs, photos, tips, plans, whatever, down the drain. They were the biggest ship modeling resource on the web, and it's most likely all gone. It's a huge blow to the hobby, it's like if Armorama or The Clubhouse just up and disappeared.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Holy poo poo, that's terrible to hear! I've been there a couple times and was hoping to use them for advice in the future.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh crap, that is a huge hit to the model ship community.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Quick question/request that's model-related.

I stumbled across this guy's little scratchbuilt robot model a while back and thought I'd try my hand at something similar later on. Now it's technically later on and I want to give it a shot. I'm a big fan of the cylindrical robot shape a la Bertie, the Cortex Command tanks and various MaK designs. Turns out the Kinder Egg is a cheap and plentiful capsule to start building from (and is what the pictured model is built from), but they can't be found in the US at all. I've looked into vending machine capsules and checked ebay, but they're usually sold in bulk and there's no way I need 50+ of these things - I just want to make a few models.

Anyone have ideas on an alternative product/object I could use? Or, hey, if someone in Canada wanted to toss a few eggs in a box and ship to me, I'd gladly reimburse you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Send an email with your details to my username at gmail.com and I'll sort you out with a few empty new shells. I buy them occasionally for nostalgia and I may as well give the shells to someone who will use them rather than throw them out or leave them take up space.

Caveat: I could totally forget to do this, because I am terrible at remembering stuff.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
You could try crafting an egg-like shape from an egg carton. Maybe drop down to the local dollar store, see if there's some kind of plastic gew-gaw that's in the shape you need.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

spider wisdom posted:

Quick question/request that's model-related.

I stumbled across this guy's little scratchbuilt robot model a while back and thought I'd try my hand at something similar later on. Now it's technically later on and I want to give it a shot. I'm a big fan of the cylindrical robot shape a la Bertie, the Cortex Command tanks and various MaK designs. Turns out the Kinder Egg is a cheap and plentiful capsule to start building from (and is what the pictured model is built from), but they can't be found in the US at all. I've looked into vending machine capsules and checked ebay, but they're usually sold in bulk and there's no way I need 50+ of these things - I just want to make a few models.

Anyone have ideas on an alternative product/object I could use? Or, hey, if someone in Canada wanted to toss a few eggs in a box and ship to me, I'd gladly reimburse you.

Try finding a vending machine with a vending machine capsule in it?

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Arquinsiel posted:

Send an email with your details to my username at gmail.com and I'll sort you out with a few empty new shells. I buy them occasionally for nostalgia and I may as well give the shells to someone who will use them rather than throw them out or leave them take up space.

Caveat: I could totally forget to do this, because I am terrible at remembering stuff.

Thanks a bunch! Emailed.

^^ those are excellent ideas as well. The vending machines around here are the asymmetrical colored-bottom variety, but perhaps two clear tops mashed together would work. And the dollar store idea might be an even better bet. Thanks all.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Random tip I came across on the internets: when masking with tape, seal the tape with future. No more leaks, ever!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I like to use Silly-Putty for masking. In the case of hard-surface modeling, it only really works if you're masking along a seam that you can butt the Silly-Putty up to and get a clean line, but it works great in those cases. No leaks, doesn't pull up paint if left on too long, and reusable in many cases.

It's quite a popular method in statue and bust painting, where you can really work the Putty into odd compound curves where tape just won't work. Less hassle than paintable latex masks too.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Yeah, the Bibliotank used bluetac for all of the masking. In my (somewhat limited) experience it's the thing when dealing with complex shapes that you wanna blot color over.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like to model buildings and roads! Also sometimes a train happens.

I hope buildings are ok to post, I don't have any tanks or jets or space robuts.
Most all my buildings are kit-bashed or made from moulds of other kits and then bashed because gently caress paying $300 for some plastic buildings when my friend has the kit and $50 worth of mould making materials can do it.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 22, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes there's no kit for me to bash into the right shape or style of building I want so I have to scratch build stuff. This is a little office building I made.

Scratch building is fun!
My scale is 1:160, it's very very tiny!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Fuckin' NEAT. The Lego Town sets were always my favorite as a kid and this is like the natural progression of that. Awesome stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thanks! I used to as a kid be absolutely obsessed with building lego towns, this absolutely was the natural progression. Here some more pictures I guess! Hope I'm not posting too much. And I often do make my self sick with various horrible solvents and paints :(

Here's a pretty outdated overall shot of the section.

But lets see some vehicles! Model trains come all glossy and look like bright plastic most of the time. Doing a modern layout I weather and GRAFFITI them,I'm still learning. For a sense of scale each of these box-cars are about as long as your middle finger or about 4". Also, in person my grass is NOT that golden.

Fuckin' love trams

If anyone is wondering about the grass, it's something called static grass. You can either spend a $100+ on an applicator or buy a $2 electric fly swatter and make your own. Take off the metal grill and replace it with an old metal tea strainer. Hook one wire up to the strainer and pull the other wire out and strip the end. You put your static grass in in strainer and jam the loose wire into the glue-soaked ground. Press the button, sprinkle the grass, and watch as it all stands upright! It's mostly used in model choo-choo world but I know some wargamers and tank model folks use it for bases/dioramas.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 22, 2013