Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

people tune them to do that. look up rolling coal.

He's technically still correct, if my reading of wet stacking is right.

I know this is a pictures thread, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ApPm-LFzrM for an example of why this is bad.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

people tune them to do that. look up rolling coal.

Why in the gently caress would you want too? :psyduck:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rudager posted:

Why in the gently caress would you want too? :psyduck:

It's basically just macho bullshit. They do it because diesel engines are "manly" and big smoking stinking diesels are even more "manly". Same thing as big-rear end semi-style smoke stacks on pickups, it's a direct reflection of the owner's insecurity over his own penis size.

Some even do it specifically to "smoke out" people who drive around with open windows for whatever reason. Others do it because "gently caress the environment". These people are worst kind of scum.

E: I love the juxtaposition of the two entries here http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rollin%27%20Coal

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 10, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Florida seems to be Mecca for those douchebags too.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I think it stems from a well tuned diesel will smoke a bit on application of power. Somehow the association is made that more smoke = more power. And away they go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zx3qKX_Pno Plenty of smoke from a runaway engine.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, it's basically ricing/hellaflush bullshit for redneck truck bros. "tractor pulling trucks make lots of smoke and look awesome, I am going to do that too!" <makes no power, but lots of smoke>

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Colonel K posted:

I think it stems from a well tuned diesel will smoke a bit on application of power. Somehow the association is made that more smoke = more power. And away they go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zx3qKX_Pno Plenty of smoke from a runaway engine.

You will never totally eliminate smoke, but the difference between smoking as the turbo spools and blowing black clouds is vastly huge.

'Rolling Coal' is a death sentence for an engine.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CommieGIR posted:

'Rolling Coal' is a death sentence for an engine.

It's a death sentence for the owners chances to ever touch a woman who still has all her teeth, as well.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I saw some massive 909/951 bro truck knowingly blow smoke into a minivan full of kids, the CHP officer behind the minivan was not impressed, and I'm pretty sure Broseph McBrohug got a few nice felony child endangerment charges since it looked like a Cheech & Chong movie in the car :(

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
At least there, the cops do something occasionally. Here, the cops seldom go after go after those types, even though I thought college town cops were supposed to love hassling rich kids from out of town. Plenty of rednecks around here, too, but they usually stick to jacking their truck up to momma's teased hair heights.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kastein posted:

Yeah, it's basically ricing/hellaflush bullshit for redneck truck bros. "tractor pulling trucks make lots of smoke and look awesome, I am going to do that too!" <makes no power, but lots of smoke>

There is also a "gently caress the environment to show those darn liberals" aspect too. They absolutely hate Prius drivers and often trade stories about how they totally smoked out some stereotype straight out of San Francisco.

Just like ricers they are subject to intense mockery and generally not welcome on just about any diesel forum which is not dedicated to their "hobby". People blame them for giving diesel power a bad name and even for diesel particulate filters being required for new engines.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's the same segment that insists on decatting their gasoline-powered vehicles to "unlock the power", while stinking up the environment for everyone else. Nevermind that cats have had practically zero performance impact for decades now.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Worst smoketunes I've ever seen were in Utah. The Utah Valley is gorgeous but smoggy as heck; I couldn't figure out why until I drove around and saw all the lifted pickups blowing soot constantly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Worst smoketunes I've ever seen were in Utah. The Utah Valley is gorgeous but smoggy as heck; I couldn't figure out why until I drove around and saw all the lifted pickups blowing soot constantly.

Clearly you have never been to nothern Idaho. It's the South of the North.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Snowdens Secret posted:

What is "Winter Inversions" for $800 Alec?

Kinda surprised about the amount of smog coal rollers have and how many there seem to be. I don't see that many really.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

KozmoNaut posted:

It's basically just macho bullshit. They do it because diesel engines are "manly" and big smoking stinking diesels are even more "manly". Same thing as big-rear end semi-style smoke stacks on pickups, it's a direct reflection of the owner's insecurity over his own penis size.

Some even do it specifically to "smoke out" people who drive around with open windows for whatever reason. Others do it because "gently caress the environment". These people are worst kind of scum.

E: I love the juxtaposition of the two entries here http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rollin%27%20Coal

Devyl posted:

Florida seems to be Mecca for those douchebags too.

I saw a fuckton of them in rural Washington, too. Almost all Dodges.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
http://youtu.be/2u2Ds7xkbJ0

loving what?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Dear god it sounds like a truck.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'm doing some wiring modifications to the rover and I printed out a few pages of the electrical troubleshooting manual.

You know its loving bad when the brits don't even know their own pinout.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

cursedshitbox posted:

I remember when AI was teasing me about being a masochist. I've had to ohm out poo poo before, but, uh, usually anything that wasn't messed up by a PO at least pinned out properly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

But it does explain a lot.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Crossposting from stupid questions.

I Know the infamous GM lower intake gasket can mimick a head gasket failure, but will it dump coolant into the cylinders? 95 Boneville came in bucking, stalling out, misfiring, and smoke screening the entire block. I barely managed to limp it from the other side of the lot to my bay where it just flat out STOPPED dead. I pulled the front 3 spark plugs after noticing the dipstick was several quarts overfull of milkshake. Coolant poured out of all 3 front bank. I attempted to crank it over to clear the cylinders and discovered the engine is hydrolocked.

Regardless of what happened, this engines probably toast right?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

I Know the infamous GM lower intake gasket can mimick a head gasket failure, but will it dump coolant into the cylinders? 95 Boneville came in bucking, stalling out, misfiring, and smoke screening the entire block. I barely managed to limp it from the other side of the lot to my bay where it just flat out STOPPED dead. I pulled the front 3 spark plugs after noticing the dipstick was several quarts overfull of milkshake. Coolant poured out of all 3 front bank. I attempted to crank it over to clear the cylinders and discovered the engine is hydrolocked.

Drop the pan and show us that sweet sweet milkshake.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

KozmoNaut posted:

It's the same segment that insists on decatting their gasoline-powered vehicles to "unlock the power", while stinking up the environment for everyone else. Nevermind that cats have had practically zero performance impact for decades now.

To be fair, I live with a clean vehicle policy lobbyist, and cats do nothing significant for emissions either, especially when compared with the emission reductions from enforcing higher efficiency standards

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
It can 14". if it blows between the coolant jacket and the intake runners.

To keep the british fail continuing!

Hands down the worst soldering I have *ever* done. but its a patch plug.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Hands down the worst soldering I have *ever* done. but its a patch plug.

Looks like factory fresh Lucas to me. On a good day.

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

For some reason I was kind of expecting a video like this to be posted.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Why/How did Lucas stay in business? I have never been able to figure that out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

thelightguy posted:

To be fair, I live with a clean vehicle policy lobbyist, and cats do nothing significant for emissions either, especially when compared with the emission reductions from enforcing higher efficiency standards

wow, really? Kinda surprised, I figured at least it'd turn hydrocarbons and CO into H2O/CO2 like it's supposed to. If I have a choice in the matter I run one, because I hate getting a headache from exhaust fumes after a few hours.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

kastein posted:

wow, really? Kinda surprised, I figured at least it'd turn hydrocarbons and CO into H2O/CO2 like it's supposed to. If I have a choice in the matter I run one, because I hate getting a headache from exhaust fumes after a few hours.

I think the problem is with the CO2 emissions not being reduced - greenhouse gas and all that. Could be wrong, but that's what Wikipedia says people are currently having problems with.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well, unfortunately not much you can do about that, hard to burn carbon based fuels without producing either CO or CO2. No way a catalytic converter can solve that problem.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
but i plug MY car into the wall and that produces no emissions :smug:

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

kastein posted:

Well, unfortunately not much you can do about that, hard to burn carbon based fuels without producing either CO or CO2. No way a catalytic converter can solve that problem.

Hence the "higher efficiency standards" bit, I think. More MPG = less fuel being burned per mile driven = lower emissions per mile driven.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

thelightguy posted:

That depends a lot on what emissions you're concerned about. Cats do nothing for CO2 emissions, which are the focus of a lot of regulatory concern these days - the only way to put out less carbon dioxide is to burn less gas. But, cats are still significant for pollutants like unburned or partially burned hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen (which are especially important if you're talking about CO2 reductions, because lean-burn engines are efficient but tend to put out a lot of NOx). Clean-vehicle advocates don't tend to pay a lot of attention to those emissions, because they've effectively won the battle. The latest EPA Tier III standards have the maximum for a lot of the traditional acid rain and smog-causing villains at zero, or very close to it.

If manufacturers can meet those emissions standards without a catalytic converter, they're free to do it. The EPA just cares about tailpipe emissions when they're certifying an engine; you just can't take it off because it'd be modifying an engine's emission controls so it's no longer certified. But, despite the fact that cats aren't required, every manufacturer includes a cat full of incredibly expensive precious metals.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
^^ goddamnit ^^

thelightguy posted:

That's the difference between a policy lobbyist and someone in the industry, though. Cats do a HUGE amount for emissions, just not for CO2. Without cats there would be a lot more hydrocarbons and NOx coming out of your tailpipe, especially since NOx is produced more in leaner burns, which are becoming more and more popular for efficiency reasons.

Sure, reducing all emissions does a lot more comparatively, but cats still do a lot, and they're an easily-implemented and widespread technology.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Who says you need to spend money on high falutin' poo poo like new coil springs or spacers to lift a vehicle?

Friend who spotted it in a junkyard: "naturally, it had leaf spring spacer blocks in the rear."

e: hahaha it's even 2wd! ghetto lift in a 2wd car... not surprised at all.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 11, 2013

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
quote is not edit gently caress

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

SII 3800 in that right? What happens with those is the EGR tube that passes through the plastic upper intake gets very hot and over time makes that area brittle. No big deal right? well on either side of it run the TB coolant passages. Brittle plastic+16psi pressure from the coolant system will eventually create a awesome leak inside the upper intake, which will in turn flood the cylinders and hydrolock it. I believe Doorman makes a new upper intake kit that includes a small diameter EGR stove pipe to help prevent the same problem.

As for if the engine is toast, how long has it been run with coolant in the crankcase?

May as well pull the plugs and pump the coolant from the chambers, Put new intake gaskets on it (I prefer the GM ones to the Felpro ones) it will likely run fine. Might have a catastrophic failure in a short time afterwards. A guy I know bought a couple 3800 Olds intrigues with "siezed up engines" that just had intake failure, he repaired that and sold them off. Never had one come back to him. But how long the ran coolant in the crankcase is key.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
3800s are pretty durable. I'd say it's worth trying to fix - you may very well get many more thousands of miles from it. They're pretty indestructible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It sounds like it ran for a while on the verge of hydrolocking, too... and then hydrolocked. No telling if the rods are tweaked or bent at this point, if it was my car I'd definitely check that before even considering rebuilding it.