Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Crane
Feb 10, 2013
BOY HOWDY I SURE DO LOVE BEING WRONG ABOUT THE GAME CENTER CX DVDS
P.S. I am a worthless pile of human garbage

Katana Gomai posted:

*I know SAGCCX consists of more people than just her, but complaining that her work is worse than the fansubs is :psyduck: is hell.
At no point did I imply it was her work that was the problem.
But the dvds' subtitles are visually lower quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mister Crane posted:

I'm sorry, "lower quality" didn't translate to "visually" for me, and I doubt it did for anyone else.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

I can guarantee you the reason Retro Game Challenge didn't sell well is not that it didn't include the Japanese voice track and was thus shunned by a small (very small) portion of the already small GCCX fanbase overseas.

At the time the Retro Game Challenge thing was released, I had never heard of Game Center CX and it was introduced to me as a cute pack of retro-style games, not as a licensed tv show tie-in. It's amazing it was localized at all, but GCCX really didn't have the profile needed to move units at that time.

It and the sequel might find more success as a download title these days, but Nintendo is much less enthusiastic about getting its back catalog onto their e-store than Sony is, unfortunately.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Mister Crane posted:

At no point did I imply it was her work that was the problem.

Why does it seem like half the people who join SA exclusively to post in this single thread are the most problematic of the bunch? Does it tickle you to spend ten bucks on a forum membership just so you can bitch about inane poo poo? Are you a member of TV-Nihon? I don't get it.

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

Mister Crane posted:

On a technical level, DVD subtitles are a lower resolution than what can be "burned" onto an AVI file.

My gut reaction to your post is to tell you to gently caress off and deal with it, you're nitpicking retarded poo poo.

On a related note, what bugs me about a lot of people who hate on the DVDs, when you think about it and get down to it for a majority of those who are like that among people I know, it's because they don't want to spend money on the show, they just want to watch it for free. I have one friend who wanted to borrow my set to watch the Shiren episode, and before asking to borrow it, told me flat out that if he had the DVDs he'd rip them and put them up on bittorrent.

Thankfully I managed to convince two friends to pick up a copy to offset this somewhat.

Mister Crane
Feb 10, 2013

Shingen posted:

My gut reaction to your post is to tell you to gently caress off and deal with it, you're nitpicking retarded poo poo.
I'm sorry my opinions and concerns are so upsetting to you.

Shingen posted:

it's because they don't want to spend money on the show, they just want to watch it for free
If the dvds weren't literally Kotaku's Retro Game Master maybe I'd care. I'd gladly spend money on the show. I want the show to continue and would help support it. But I'm not going to support Retro Game Master, the dubs, ect... I do not want to see it localized.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Media is cheap these days. I mean that universally. It's borderline financially foolish to buy stuff at full price - whether that's good or bad would be a thread in a different forum, but it's not surprising to find that common attitude when you can visit any number of legitimate sites and watch tons of movies and tv shows for free. Similarly, I can get books free or cheap as well via my Kindle.

Same story goes for games really. A steam account, gamefly, and a bit of intelligent browsing means you'll almost never pay full retail for any game.

Full priced niche dvd releases are a pure luxury item. Obviously, any entertainment is, but that's like... an extra luxury or something.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Shingen posted:

On a related note, what bugs me about a lot of people who hate on the DVDs, when you think about it and get down to it for a majority of those who are like that among people I know, it's because they don't want to spend money on the show, they just want to watch it for free. I have one friend who wanted to borrow my set to watch the Shiren episode, and before asking to borrow it, told me flat out that if he had the DVDs he'd rip them and put them up on bittorrent.

Some people will never be convinced to support any artists or producers by buying their product if they can steal them for free. They are just wired like that, it's the kind of decency and common sense they lack.

I registered on these forums just for this topic too but rather wanted to say how awesome everything related to SA-GCCX and Arino is!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mister Crane posted:

If the dvds weren't literally Kotaku's Retro Game Master maybe I'd care.

They're not. The dubs were included because they existed, so why not include them? You can pretend that they're not on there at all just by hitting a few buttons.

quote:

I do not want to see it localized.

So buy the DVD's direct from Japan, I guess? :psyduck:

Make sure to complain that the tamage segments aren't on the DVD's, too.

Oh, and if your complaint is them using the name Retro Game Master instead of Game Center CX, maybe you should watch the Cannes episode. It's the one where they go to Cannes to sell licenses for (guess what) Retro Game Master, not Game Center CX. Kotaku didn't translate that for 'em, it's what the show has always been called for overseas markets.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 10, 2013

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not going to snap at you for asking but zari-gani tends to be the only translator who says what she's working on. Because of the possibilities of delays or dropped projects I don't like to get into the specifics of which episodes are being worked on. In the past week we've got a situation where an episode has been put off a bit, for example.

That's a shame but understandable. Thanks for not snapping at me, I know this thread can be a little aggressive at times.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mister Crane posted:

If the dvds weren't literally Kotaku's Retro Game Master maybe I'd care

They're not! So start caring. :3:

Mister Crane
Feb 10, 2013

NmareBfly posted:

They're not. The dubs were included because they existed, so why not include them? You can pretend that they're not on there at all just by hitting a few buttons.
They are. The same dubs and the same subtitles are default. It is literally the Kotaku dvds.
If they're unimportant and Discotek rarely has dubs on their dvds let alone default dubs WHY are they there AND default?
And as for pretending they aren't there I would still be buying them which would tell them that people want more dubs of the show.

NmareBfly posted:

So buy the DVD's direct from Japan, I guess? :psyduck:
No english subtitles and I don't know where I could buy them that the money would go to the show since I'm pretty sure ebay wouldn't.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Crane posted:

They are. The same dubs and the same subtitles are default. It is literally the Kotaku dvds.
If they're unimportant and Discotek rarely has dubs on their dvds let alone default dubs WHY are they there AND default?
And as for pretending they aren't there I would still be buying them which would tell them that people want more dubs of the show.

So I assume you haven't actually watched the show you claim to care about so much and failed to notice the episode where the actual people in charge of the show were the ones marketing Retro Game Master overseas before Kotaku even picked it up? Remember the episode where Arino himself went to promote it?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Mister Crane posted:

And as for pretending they aren't their I would still be buying them which would tell them that people want more dubs of the show.

So buy the DVDs and reburn them without the dubbed audio track. Or don't. In fact, do absolutely anything you want, as long as you stop posting your incredibly uninteresting opinions.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Mister Crane posted:

No english subtitles and I don't know where I could buy them that the money would go to the show since I'm pretty sure ebay wouldn't.

You want a DVD with English subtitles where your money will support the show?

Well have I got a deal for you.

Mister Crane
Feb 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

So I assume you haven't actually watched the show you claim to care about so much and failed to notice the episode where the actual people in charge of the show were the ones marketing Retro Game Master overseas before Kotaku even picked it up? Remember the episode where Arino himself went to promote it?
Where was I talking about the title?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

In fact, do absolutely anything you want, as long as you stop posting your incredibly uninteresting opinions.
Or, you know, you could just deal with the fact that we have different opinions instead of telling me that I shouldn't be allowed to voice mine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stop posting.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

So buy the DVDs and reburn them without the dubbed audio track. Or don't. In fact, do absolutely anything you want, as long as you stop posting your incredibly uninteresting opinions.

But if he buys it that means the distributors will think we want more bad dubs and then they'll license all the episodes and release them dub-only and we won't be able to download them off the internet for free unless he Google really hard, which is just as hard as pushing a few buttons on the DVD player he barely knows how to use! Also something about not buying something you can get for free.

Here's something else that requires a few difficult button presses: putting him on ignore, because he's either the worst kind of obvious troll or a complete :spergin:

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
http://tinycartridge.com/post/32676131793/on-retro-game-master-and-getting-mad-for-the-right

Ray's article addressing these kinds of complaints from when the DVD's were coming out should really be added to the OP.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mister Crane posted:

It is literally the Kotaku dvds.

How many ways can we say that they're not? What do you need to finally believe us? Is it the word of Zari-gani? Or is it an hilarious custom title?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Stop posting.

Oh, yeah, also this.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Mister Crane posted:

Discotek Always includes the dubs in their releases if one exists, they do not dub the properties they license, so this complaint is Incredibly stupid.

This means that if further episodes were to get licensed they would not be dubbed.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 10, 2013

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
The idea that buying something is tacit support and approval of every single aspect of it is mind-boggling, as is the idea that having an option you don't like in addition to one you do is worse than nothing. That's why your opinion is dumb, not because it's not the same as other people's.

Edit: Also, I don't know anything about Discotek but considering they didn't do the Kotaku dubs, it's entirely likely they don't even have the capacity to dub things themselves.

Olive Mohel fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 10, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mister Crane posted:

The subs on the DVD's were redone by the same (awesome) person who does subtitles for the SA fansubs. You're literally wrong, not even taking into account there are more episodes than Kotak ever translated to begin with.

Mister Crane posted:

It costs money to make a dub. Kotak spent that money, not Discotek. If Discotek doesn't normally include dubs then I'd guess that it's because they don't want to spend money on them. In this case, the dub existed. Some people even like to watch the dubs. Why not include them?

quote:

I disagree -- you'd be telling them that people want to buy the show, period. Even if you specifically don't support dubbing, I'm still not sure what the problem is -- just don't watch the dub. If you buy it and they decide to release more in the US with a dub, you're still not losing anything -- there's no way in hell they'd up and decide not to include the original Japanese track. The end result is that you have another English-subtitled dvd in your trembling hands, even if lurking somewhere in the disc there's awful taint of gaijin.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Mister Crane posted:

Or, you know, you could just deal with the fact that we have different opinions instead of telling me that I shouldn't be allowed to voice mine.

An opinion that isn't factually based is about as useful as a square tire.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

You literally have no posts outside of this thread. Stop posting. Stop bitching about dubs and subs and poo poo and :frogout:

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

Mister Crane posted:

You should first stop making GBS threads up the thread and lurk more. Otherwise :frogout:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So uh, how about those episodes eh?

Personally, I'm excited for the Taito episode. I love learning about the history of videogames, and there is a lot of stuff that never went to print/gone untold.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Ineffiable posted:

Personally, I'm excited for the Taito episode. I love learning about the history of videogames, and there is a lot of stuff that never went to print/gone untold.

Yeah, that'll be interesting. Taito have a pretty rich history that I'd love to learn more about. Learn from the Kacho, that is.

Mister Crane
Feb 10, 2013

Phuzzy posted:

You literally have no posts outside of this thread. Stop posting. Stop bitching about dubs and subs and poo poo and :frogout:
I had assumed this was a place for discussing the show. Somebody mentioned something that would effect the show and I felt strongly enough to make an account and voice my opinions. I'm not forcing my opinions on you, I'm not yelling about it or throwing obscenities around and I'm not telling people they're wrong or that their opinion is dumber than mine and the only reason I keep posting about it is because other people are continuing the conversation. I just thought I could come here, voice my opinion and not be attacked for it.

So, I am sorry for having an opinion. I am sorry for voicing an opinion. I am sorry for having concerns about a show I enjoy.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
I can't help but feel these last few pages would have been far higher quality if they didn't consist of one person posting his (bad) opinions and 40 others making GBS threads him on it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Mister Crane posted:

So, I am sorry for having an opinion. I am sorry for voicing an opinion. I am sorry for having concerns about a show I enjoy.

I actually agree with him (even though I strongly disagree with him), this thread has a bad track record for running people out of it because they don't agree with the majority. Let him dislike the DVDs if he dislikes the DVDs.

*edit vvv No one cares you you put on ignore. vvv

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Feb 10, 2013

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Phuzzy posted:

Thanks for pointing this out, there's literally nothing lost by ignoring the guy. :3:

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
For the record I'm pretty sure when he was talking about the subtitles being lesser quality, he was talking about the lack of overlays for on-screen text like the fansubs have, not the quality of the translation itself.

Mister Crane posted:

And the EXTRA subs on the dvd aren't near as good as the fan subs either due to the limitations of dvd subtitles or because the just didn't feel they were that important.

The DVDs do get cluttered when there's multiple subtitles on screen correlating to multiple text boxes. It is a limitation of DVD subtitles, but they could edit the video tracks themselves to add the text. Even if they don't have textless versions to work with (which I'm pretty sure is the case) they could just overlay boxes on the text the way the fansubs do, just by editing the video rather than through subtitle magic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, that'll be interesting. Taito have a pretty rich history that I'd love to learn more about. Learn from the Kacho, that is.

That episode has an interview with the creator of Space Invaders and, more importantly, a discussion of Go by Train.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

a discussion of Go by Train.

Aw hell yes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Aku posted:

And you didn't miss much with the DOOM cart not working. The SNES port was terrible, only slightly better than Wolfenstein 3D.
I just wanted to see Arino play Doom, that would have been a magical moment :v:

Caitlin posted:

Why does it seem like half the people who join SA exclusively to post in this single thread are the most problematic of the bunch? Does it tickle you to spend ten bucks on a forum membership just so you can bitch about inane poo poo? Are you a member of TV-Nihon? I don't get it.
Because as bad as some long-time SA posters are, there's a whole wide world of mildly autistic, incredibly obsessive assholes out there that are way worse. Its not just this thread either, pretty much any big nerd-themed thread will attract some unfortunate off-site attention.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Random Stranger posted:

That episode has an interview with the creator of Space Invaders and, more importantly, a discussion of Go by Train.

Does this include a history of Go by Train, discussion on what lead to it's creation, and most importantly....

a showcase of all Go by Train peripherals ever made?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I am really praying Doom will come back. I know the SNES port sucks but I beat it regardless and want to see Arino playing it :colbert:

E: Ineffiable have you played Tokyo Bus Driver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

I actually agree with him (even though I strongly disagree with him), this thread has a bad track record for running people out of it because they don't agree with the majority. Let him dislike the DVDs if he dislikes the DVDs.

There's not really any TV thread on the site where "Please don't put this on Netflix and I refuse to buy the DVDs for reasons that are demonstrably false" is going to be greeted warmly.