Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah last night was fun.

Feel free to use my mumble server again. The info is still posted earlier in the thread but I'll post it again in the Steam group when we get started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So a dev has posted a little bit about survivor mode.

quote:

Survivor is a 4 vs. 4 gamemode without AI or bots. It's been designed this way as the gameplay is different from what you'd consider a 'Horde' gamemode to be. A Horde gamemode is not among the four included in the shipping game but we're huge fans of it ourselves and we appreciate your feedback (we are almost always lurking the boards

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

User feedback is essential to let the developers know that a Horde mode is a good fit for a game based on a movie where several marines try to hold out against a horde of aliens.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^^The fact that this is an accurate assessment of Gearbox's grasp of Aliens is pretty disheartening.

Apparently someone out there has picked up the new issue of Games.TM, which includes a review of A:CM.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii-u/forum/gamestm-reviews-aliens-colonial-marines-its-disappointing-65410171/

They gave it a 4/10, with some choice quotes found in the link. I'm waiting for scans to confirm it, myself. The sort of rabid defense some fans are putting up for the game is pretty funny. Some are likening the negative reactions to A:CM to the same "unfounded" hate that the new DmC got.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

blackguy32 posted:

So a dev has posted a little bit about survivor mode.

Wait, so even though we know there will be a horde mode DLC and they acknowledge it will be a DLC because they specify "shipping game" they still are pretending that people need to give them feedback before they deign to give us the chance to pay $15 for something that should've been in the game?

"Aw shucks, you followed the breadcrumb trail we blatantly laid down and asked for DLC we'd already made, I guess we'll let you buy it then."

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

fivegears4reverse posted:

^^^The fact that this is an accurate assessment of Gearbox's grasp of Aliens is pretty disheartening.

Apparently someone out there has picked up the new issue of Games.TM, which includes a review of A:CM.

http://www.gamespot.com/wii-u/forum/gamestm-reviews-aliens-colonial-marines-its-disappointing-65410171/

They gave it a 4/10, with some choice quotes found in the link. I'm waiting for scans to confirm it, myself. The sort of rabid defense some fans are putting up for the game is pretty funny. Some are likening the negative reactions to A:CM to the same "unfounded" hate that the new DmC got.

Positive feedback over on the Gearbox forums amounts to:

"Yeah the AI sucks, yeah the story sucks, yeah the graphics are pretty bad, yeah matchmaking is like AvP2010 and there are no dedicated servers. But hey! The pulse rifle sounds like it did in the movies! 10/10 game of the year!!"

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE
I picked it up early on Friday(360) and beat the SP last night on standard difficulty. Pretty subpar experience, Had several instances where your npc partners run around like they don't know what the gently caress, but they are great bullet sponges. O'Neill in particular can outright finish encounters on his own considering he cannot die and his smartgun never runs out of bullets haha.

Altogether about 7 hours long maybe? Story sucked poo poo, last "boss" was terrible, and in general, the Aliens were never threatening. Game also graphically looks like rear end, but console gaming. There was one spooky part of the game that was neat at first, but really just a terrible gimmick that was once again, non-threatening. Got to Lvl 16 doing only SP, bunch of weapon customization unlocks. Feeling the pulse rifle with a laser sight so I can hip fire ala AVP2? But who knows if it is legit at all since:

I couldn't connect to an mp game, but I only let the automatch run for a few minutes at a time before I said "gently caress it" and went back to SP. There have been two patches for it since I bought it so maybe that has to do with it? I haven't followed the thread well enough to see who is playing it early and if they are online.

Definitely not worth $60, a $20 budget title at best unless the MP is dope.

Bitch Twinkles fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 10, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Lizame Bizrutal posted:

[The guns are] straight out of the movie. I would be pissed if they had a bunch of other guns that the Marines in the movie did not use.
Are you really saying that if this game significantly expanded the weaponry of the Aliens universe that you would be upset?

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
http://youtubedoubler.com/6TmE

Since I didn't see anyone do this yet (but saw plenty of discussion): after following the thread, and everyone :qq: over the loss of what looked like a good, tense FPS in the Alien universe, I tried my best to sync these two videos up comparing it with the final build. The only problem is that the video of the final build is accompanied by some rear end in a top hat being obnoxious and skipping valuable tutorial dialogue, not looking at NPCs who are talking and basically everything he can to not understand the game or the story.

Still, you can see two scenarios that are mostly identical, side by side, and see just how far this game had fallen. I'm sure I'll pick it up at $20 (or used after it hits that price point) just to play coop with some buddies, but after all the stuff I've read in the thread the last day or two, there's no way in hell I'll get in on the ground floor.

EDIT: It blows my mind that the placeholder V/O in the first video is better than the final build, too.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky

Bitch Twinkles posted:

I picked it up early on Friday(360) and beat the SP last night on standard difficulty. Pretty subpar experience, Had several instances where your npc partners run around like they don't know what the gently caress, but they are great bullet sponges. O'Neill in particular can outright finish encounters on his own considering he cannot die and his smartgun never runs out of bullets haha.

Altogether about 7 hours long maybe? Story sucked poo poo, last "boss" was terrible, and in general, the Aliens were never threatening. Game also graphically looks like rear end, but console gaming. There was one spooky part of the game that was neat at first, but really just a terrible gimmick that was once again, non-threatening. Got to Lvl 16 doing only SP, bunch of weapon customization unlocks. Feeling the pulse rifle with a laser sight so I can hip fire ala AVP2? But who knows if it is legit at all since:

I couldn't connect to an mp game, but I only let the automatch run for a few minutes at a time before I said "gently caress it" and went back to SP. There have been two patches for it since I bought it so maybe that has to do with it? I haven't followed the thread well enough to see who is playing it early and if they are online.

Definitely not worth $60, a $20 budget title at best unless the MP is dope.

That sucks to hear, however, the multiplayer may not be working because the game is not released yet officially. I bought it on PC and have the disk right now and can't even loving install it let alone play it.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

Maybe the SP campaign will feel better on a higher difficulty with a human co-op partner(there is one sequence late game that would be dreadful on a difficulty with higher damage and your AI partner(s)). I could see potential for doing at least one more playthrough like that, but that would mean two people buying the game for a lot of peeps. I will mess with the split screen when I get home. Still not worth full retail at all to me if you are doing it for the singleplayer. I am still reserving my judgement on the MP, because nothing can be as dreadful as AVP 2010. Why can't we have a good, modern looking Aliens/AVP game haha

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
http://youtu.be/Jayhe_5Vj-o?t=15m33s

Wow, does this game have any quality control at all? He shoots an underbarrel grenade out of the pump action shotgun. Holy hell.
(And if you're too lazy to watch the video, no, there is no underbarrel attachment on it)

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
A little heads up - While We've a game of AVP2010 in 3 hours, a few of us are already on the mumble playing Infestation. Obviously anyone with an itch to shoot some xenos is very welcome to scratch it with us.

The group chat for the steam group is probably the easiest way to find us.

Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

Dave Mustard posted:

http://youtu.be/Jayhe_5Vj-o?t=15m33s

Wow, does this game have any quality control at all? He shoots an underbarrel grenade out of the pump action shotgun. Holy hell.
(And if you're too lazy to watch the video, no, there is no underbarrel attachment on it)

The secondary fire of the shotty is a grenade-esque slug shot. There is one that is a tazer shot, another that is a mini frag nade (?) if I remember. Neither alters the model of the gun.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
So essentially it seems like we're in the situation you get with a lot of games where there's a decent multiplayer component (with maybe a better mode arriving later as DLC), but in order to actually experience that you have to be playing the game at launch, since it will almost certainly die off a few months down the line.

I'm asking myself how much value I can put on (yet another) 'multiplayer in the Alien universe' as justification for the current asking price.

Do Steam sales at 65% (which is what I imagine it will be at Easter) ever provide enough of a boost to the numbers playing multiplayer?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Harmonica posted:

So essentially it seems like we're in the situation you get with a lot of games where there's a decent multiplayer component (with maybe a better mode arriving later as DLC), but in order to actually experience that you have to be playing the game at launch, since it will almost certainly die off a few months down the line.

I'm asking myself how much value I can put on (yet another) 'multiplayer in the Alien universe' as justification for the current asking price.

Do Steam sales at 65% (which is what I imagine it will be at Easter) ever provide enough of a boost to the numbers playing multiplayer?

Well, there is (was) a sale a couple pages back which allowed people to get the game for 30 bucks on PC.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

We have some AVP 2010 going on. Join the steam group for an invite or join our mumble server at: east1.voice.enjin.com port 64514

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's pretty telling that AVP 2010 is considered the better game of the two.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
But AVP2010 is a decent game. Okay the alien campaign was pointless but the other two were fun and atmospheric and good looking, and the multiplayer was solid.

The strange thing is that the original AvP games were more Alien than Aliens in terms of how terrifying they were to play, and I think people miss that from a game series. Personally since I'm a wimp and struggled through those titles (ie, jumped every time a door triggered the motion sensor), I quite enjoy the more ridiculously macho action games.

Utnayan posted:

Well, there is (was) a sale a couple pages back which allowed people to get the game for 30 bucks on PC.

Yeah, and I hope that means more people will be playing at launch. I already have a pre-order for the game at a cheaper price and it's just a question of whether I cancel it before Tuesday (this is one situation where buying a physical copy still works out better than downloading since you can potentially dodge a bullet).

Then again being a fan of the franchise has been pure masochism for a long while, so I will most likely scratch this one up to the love/hate abuse cycle.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 11, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I still enjoy the hell out of AvP 2010. It is such a nice looking game. But holy poo poo. This game is serious business to the Russians it seems. Especially to have people hacking on it in this late.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
I was peeved about horde mode being DLC but then I realized I don't reallllly care because the ai in the game is so bad that only actual players can provide the kind of threat that makes an encounter with an alien scary.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

blackguy32 posted:

I still enjoy the hell out of AvP 2010. It is such a nice looking game. But holy poo poo. This game is serious business to the Russians it seems. Especially to have people hacking on it in this late.

Highlight of the night had to have been when the Russian alien player straight-up started teleporting around the map and flying through the air once we finally surrounded him with our crack team of Rock-em' Sock-em' Marines. Also finally pinnning that poor Predator to the ground and keeping him prone through sheer numbers until he finally succumbed to a barrage of pistol whips and flashlight-taunts.

Truly, man is the greatest monster:

Also confusing pubbies will never get old:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

HissssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

I hope Colonial Marines has an R button to mash.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Any news on whether there is an AvP-style taunt button? That was one of my favorite little things in the older games. Nothing is as satisfying as sneaking up on the ceiling behind a Marine player in AvP Gold, dropping to the floor, hitting the taunt button and biting him in the face as soon as he turns around.

See also: running around as a Marine spamming "Huueeh!" and "aaaAAAAH-ha ha!"

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
I know for a fact it has a Hiss and a Taunt button because you can view the manual on steam, and i'm gonna be abusing the hell out of it everytime I find a lone marine.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Got a video of some of our hissing party. I think my favorite bit though is Chickenheart calling me rude and just watching as a double-kill a man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Ohkmy1qNM

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Are you guys going to do this again before the CM comes out? Would have loved to join the party but I had to work.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Feb 11, 2013

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, I wasn't aware the manual was available. Might have to take a peek, before getting playing the game tomorrow.

ChickenHeart posted:

Highlight of the night had to have been when the Russian alien player straight-up started teleporting around the map and flying through the air once we finally surrounded him with our crack team of Rock-em' Sock-em' Marines. Also finally pinnning that poor Predator to the ground and keeping him prone through sheer numbers until he finally succumbed to a barrage of pistol whips and flashlight-taunts.

Truly, man is the greatest monster:

Also confusing pubbies will never get old:

Heh, I managed to take a screenshot during the pre-game game we had, before I left, featuring jerkstore being attacked by a bunch of other marines. Clubbing other marines as opposed to Xenos proved to be a popular pastime among our ranks! :D

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, I wasn't aware the manual was available. Might have to take a peek, before getting playing the game tomorrow.

Heh, I managed to take a screenshot during the pre-game game we had, before I left, featuring jerkstore being attacked by a bunch of other marines. Clubbing other marines as opposed to Xenos proved to be a popular pastime among our ranks! :D

I love the amazement we had as we discovered we could actually knock each other over with melee, and how in that shot it looks like I'm fleeing to avoid being implicated in this terrible mugging.

And everyone in the group alien shot not using dome: shameful :colbert:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

So, here's the entire setup for the story of this game.

Aliens: Colonial Marines posted:

BISHOP: So how are you alive -- if you don't mind too much in my asking. What happened on Fury-161?

HICKS: Guess we're skippin' the softball questions. We left LV-426 and sent out a distress call - a call you all responded to. Near Fury, the ship went into alert and I was pulled out of Cryo as the ranking, and only, Marine. The ship was on alert because Michael Weyland's PMC's illegally boarded the ship. The four cryo-pods ejected safely but - I obviously wasn't in mine.

WINTER: So whose body was in your cryo-tube?

HICKS: That's a longer story. I care about one thing: taking these guys down. It's all I got left, guys.

CRUZ: Let's get to it.

I can't believe that a supposedly professional writer came up with this trash, let alone that this crap is what they go with for a big budget official video game sequel to the movie Aliens.

What the gently caress?! :negative:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Haha wow what an amazing retcon. This game just looked bad and apparently the story is even worse. I saw the ending yesterday and I couldn't believe that was the final level in the game. Yet there are people who will buy everything Gearbox puts out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

omg chael crash posted:

Are you guys going to do this again before the CM comes out? Would have loved to join the party but has to work.

Same here, I realized I enjoyed the AVP2010 MP more than I probably should have and it'd be fun to get in a goon game or two.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I...well...you know...well...euhm.

:catstare:

That's some really scary stuff Gearbox made.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Batham posted:

I...well...you know...well...euhm.

:catstare:

That's some really scary stuff Gearbox made.

Wait... what the hell is that? It looks like some sort of shambling zombie + Xenomorph hybrid. Don't tell me that's actually in the game... (and if so, is there at least proper reasoning for it to be there? Since I take it the fact that it's ignoring a marine who's just standing there staring at it can be attributed to a glitch, or something, right?)

EDIT: And yeah, we should definitely get some AVP2010 - or hell, ACM even - multiplayer in at some point. Never really got to do much decent multiplayer with it in the past, (by the time I got it, most of the servers were empty) so getting to play it with goons was pretty fun.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Oh jesus, christ. I'm crying laughing at that .gif.

It's probably an animation bug, sort of like the stuff from Red Dead Redemption.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

I want to believe that Xenomorph is just really old and can't be arsed to go after the player.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
Welp... Guess I better buckle up on this one. As much as I wanted to believe there was still a chance for this to be cool, there's not much arguing to be done in light of the facts. That being said, I'm going to ride in on this unspoiled, like a viking descending into the gates of an unknown and glitchy hell.

"We're in the pipe, five by five." - :cry:

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Oh jesus, christ. I'm crying laughing at that .gif.

It's probably an animation bug, sort of like the stuff from Red Dead Redemption.

It's not a bug. There's a ~sewer level~ where there's all these weird shambling zombie xenomorphs that track you by sound because they can't see you (the developers obviously didn't notice that the xenomorphs in the movies didn't have eyes...) so you walk around slowly while these zombies get up and wander around randomly.

The objective is to flick these switches that turn machines on and make noise to distract them, right? So then they hear the noise, run towards it in a neat line and explode one after the other. There's no explanation given as to why they randomly commit suicide by exploding.

I wish I was making this poo poo up :(

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

MUFFlNS posted:

It's not a bug. There's a ~sewer level~ where there's all these weird shambling zombie xenomorphs that track you by sound because they can't see you (the developers obviously didn't notice that the xenomorphs in the movies didn't have eyes...) so you walk around slowly while these zombies get up and wander around randomly.

The objective is to flick these switches that turn machines on and make noise to distract them, right? So then they hear the noise, run towards it in a neat line and explode one after the other. There's no explanation given as to why they randomly commit suicide by exploding.

I can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

MUFFlNS posted:

Holy loving poo poo :staredog:

• Locked thread