Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gado posted:

It seemed to me like everyone was especially unnerved after Monobear's latest speech. The nurse mentioned no one was returning her greetings, didn't she?
I took that as for most of her life people tended to ignore her.

I threw a vote her way this time mainly because I want to know whats up with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is Ibuki's nose-boner a thing that's shown up in any anime, ever? It's so weird. I don't think I've ever seen it used to imply anything about someone's character. If this were American/European I'd just say "she is lying her rear end off, that's a reference to pinocchio." I have no idea what it means in a Japanese context.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Krinkle posted:

Is Ibuki's nose-boner a thing that's shown up in any anime, ever? It's so weird. I don't think I've ever seen it used to imply anything about someone's character. If this were American/European I'd just say "she is lying her rear end off, that's a reference to pinocchio." I have no idea what it means in a Japanese context.

I think it's supposed to be an impish expression in Japanese media, it came up in the thread already. It doesn't translate that well to a Western audience but what can you do?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Krinkle posted:

The 'Uso' in his name evidently means lie or falsehood. I don't know if long noses generally have that connotation or not in Japan.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

fool_of_sound posted:

The 'Uso' in his name evidently means lie or falsehood. I don't know if long noses generally have that connotation or not in Japan.

He is based on Pinocchio and Ibuki's nose thing is based on Pinocchio as well.

Edit: OK I was wrong about Ibuki but Usopp is based on Pinocchio that's 100%.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 11, 2013

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

GAAAME! Why must you insist on bringing him along.

Moving on, am I the only one seeing a possible friendship, or more considering what this game is like compared to the first one, between Kuzuryuu and Peko. Afterall she is the only one who, outside of free-time events with Hinata, is interacting with him in a way that's, to the event of our knowledge, neither hostile nor fearful, barring that one threat earlier, but she could have said that to anyone who said what he said.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of doubt that!

As was mentioned, much of Ibuki's characteristics are more in relation to Japanese Oni (her hair-horns and pink red/blue color dichotomy). That she has an expression based off another type of Japanese monster is much more likely.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

MonsterEnvy posted:

quote:

This is gonna catch on, big time! Ibuki's gonna make sure it does! It’s gonna be sweet!
So how am I supposed to interpret this? She actually doesn't give a poo poo about the phrase she just made and knows she'll never try to make even a single person say it?

If I ignore the nose I can parse this image and dialog perfectly. It's bravura and a cocksure attitude, probably unfounded in reality, but who gives a poo poo. With that nose I don't get it at all.

Shoopuf posted:

I kind of doubt that!

As was mentioned, much of Ibuki's characteristics are more in relation to Japanese Oni (her hair-horns and pink red/blue color dichotomy). That she has an expression based off another type of Japanese monster is much more likely.

That makes much more sense. Thank you!

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Checking the results, I was surprised to see 750+ voters counted. I guess using this off-site poll means people who aren't registered can vote now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I voted for Sonia thinking "Gosh, this is a wasted vote, but I really really like her." Turned out I wasn't the only one to really really like her.

Do we know why Koizumi winks all the time? Is she peering through an imaginary viewfinder?

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Shieldhill posted:

Checking the results, I was surprised to see 750+ voters counted. I guess using this off-site poll means people who aren't registered can vote now.

Let's see, more voters, less clutter in the thread, and it's much easier to count. Why didn't we use this system before?

RefinedUndefined fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 10, 2013

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I couldn't help but see Jughead in that sprite, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Two things stuck out to me in the update:
- I really hope Tsumiki ends up spotting vital evidence in a murder and people being grateful to her about it or something, it's really sad seeing her walked all over so much. She's getting the same treatment as Monomi, but doesn't have the option to leave and doubles down the negativity on herself.
- Nagito's dead as hell, I can't imagine someone who comes up short drawing straws in a murder mystery surviving very long.

Mersenne
Oct 9, 2012

Prime Suspect

"Oh...? How amusing. Do try to keep me entertained, ehehe..."

DapperDinosaur posted:

Nagito and Togami could also be working together. If they planned in advanced, that could explain why Nagito had the lots prepared.

Something's been seriously bothering me since the last update, and I think it merits some consideration now that people are mentioning the possibility of Nagito and Togami acting in collusion. Recall when Monobear said there were only supposed to be 15 students, and there was a 'traitor' amongst them? Everyone took it to mean that there's one extra running around on the island, someone who doesn't belong, which may or may not be Hinata himself - his introspection near the end of the previous update certainly seems to be foreshadowing. However, Monobear never clearly defined what he meant by the word 'traitor', nor that there's just the one.

Am I alone in thinking that rather than having an 'extra' student, we may actually be missing two? :tinfoil: If we take 'traitor' to mean "someone who isn't a student of Hope's Peak Academy", then it's certainly possible that miles down the road it gets revealed that Hinata's talent is "???" because he doesn't have one, and is in fact not a student in the first place (or a student from the Hope's Peak preparatory instead). If we also operate under the assumption that Fatogami == DR1 Togami and Nagito == Naegi, both of them Hope's Peak students even if they're from a different year than everyone else, then the current class would only have 13 out of 15 students accounted for.

Of course, even if there were two missing students, this does nothing to indicate whether they're both SHSL Despairs working together, or whether one's Monomi and the other Monobear, or even if they were ever on the island to begin with. Hell, now that I think about it, we don't yet have confirmation that Monobear 2.0 is even a student this time around...

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Son Conan posted:

For some reason, I feel like this scene might be important, since, going by the dialogue, Chiaki isn't actually playing anything.

She's just playing the mind game.

Also, Saionji is a terrible little poo poo.

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.
I kind of hope Saionji lasts for a while, just so that she can develop and not be a little poo poo all the time.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Call Now posted:

She's just playing the mind game.

Hanamura is going to be pretty mad when he sees Chiaki de-greasing all his gourmet food with napkins.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

This got me thinking - Monobear said there was a traitor among them, which implies there is only one 'extra'. However, if there are two traitors, there is still a traitor! "I never said there was exactly one" sounds like a thing he would say. Would such a connotation be present in Japanese as it is in English?

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

RefinedUndefined posted:

Let's see, more voters, less clutter in the thread, and it's much easier to count. Why didn't we use this system before?
I guess because no one expected this LP to be The Thing back when it started, and after that, we had less characters to choose from, which balanced out the increased amount of votes. Changing the system now, at the beginning of the new game, is perfect, especially since people are getting more and more conscious about the length of the thread.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

SingerOfW posted:

I guess because no one expected this LP to be The Thing back when it started, and after that, we had less characters to choose from, which balanced out the increased amount of votes. Changing the system now, at the beginning of the new game, is perfect, especially since people are getting more and more conscious about the length of the thread.

Is there a limit to the thread length, or are people just wanting a shorter thread compared to the 735-page monster the previous thread is now?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Krinkle posted:

If I ignore the nose I can parse this image and dialog perfectly. It's bravura and a cocksure attitude, probably unfounded in reality, but who gives a poo poo. With that nose I don't get it at all.

Yes, that's exactly it. Ibuki's nose isn't based on Pinocchio, and isn't used when she's lying. It's most likely a Tengu nose - one of the traits they're known for is vanity.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

RefinedUndefined posted:

Is there a limit to the thread length, or are people just wanting a shorter thread compared to the 735-page monster the previous thread is now?

What we want is to not have like five back to back pages of "Sonia, Gundam" with no other content. Try having a discussion with all that noise. It's impossible! There's been some back and forth in the last page or so of discussion - that wouldn't have happened had all of those people who voted done so in otherwise empty posts.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

RefinedUndefined posted:

I think any hopes for a shorter thread are long gone, we're 125 pages into this game and we haven't even had our first murder. To compare DR1 at 125 pages had just begun the second trial.

Anyways, we gotta be having our first murder at the party tonight, and Kuzuryu is probably going to be the red herring for the case.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

RefinedUndefined posted:

There's no limit. :v:

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

Fedule posted:

You win the prize! The prize may or may not be tangible, but you won it all the same.

Honestly, I don't know why they didn't just have a sprite for Nagito holding out the chopsticks. Since they went to the effort of drawing that picture anyway...
He did say he prepared them in advance...so he probably assumed everyone was gonna be there, then just forgot to take the last chopstick out. Or something; that's the only real thing that would make sense as to why he held 16 instead of 15. Otherwise, yeah, art goof.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

RefinedUndefined posted:

Moving on, am I the only one seeing a possible friendship, or more considering what this game is like compared to the first one, between Kuzuryuu and Peko. Afterall she is the only one who, outside of free-time events with Hinata, is interacting with him in a way that's, to the event of our knowledge, neither hostile nor fearful, barring that one threat earlier, but she could have said that to anyone who said what he said.
I can see it happening. Peko seems to be the most patient of all the students and exhibits a great deal of calmness, with maybe some smaller tense moments. If she can tolerate Kuzuryuu then I think that he could find her good company to some degree. It would be nice to see something along the lines of an Aoi-Sakura friendship in this game, as their friendship was one of the strongest parts of both characters, only where one of them is a bastard and not a nice person like Aoi was. Of course it could swing the opposite way and go along the lines of Togami-Fukawa, where one person is using the other to their advantage.

ZeroCaim
Jul 7, 2008
Sorry if this has already been asked but is anyone collecting all of this great fanart from these threads and keeping it anywhere?

I don't want to miss any of it. :allears:

ZeroCaim fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 10, 2013

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

lotus circle posted:

I can see it happening. Peko seems to be the most patient of all the students and exhibits a great deal of calmness, with maybe some smaller tense moments. If she can tolerate Kuzuryuu then I think that he could find her good company to some degree. It would be nice to see something along the lines of an Aoi-Sakura friendship in this game, as their friendship was one of the strongest parts of both characters, only where one of them is a bastard and not a nice person like Aoi was. Of course it could swing the opposite way and go along the lines of Togami-Fukawa, where one person is using the other to their advantage.

It would be hilarious if the latter happens, with Kuzuryuu as Fukawa, just to mess with us.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
No murders yet, eh.

It's interesting that the very first strategy that the students try to implement is one that was prohibited/difficult to do in the first game by its "no falling asleep outside of bedrooms" rule: keep everyone in a single place for the entire night.

This certainly also happened:

orenronen posted:

I heard your entire conversation! I heard it with my own ears!!

Heh heh! I am vewy proud of my ears! I'm a wabbit, you know!

I see. So you have to depend on your ears. That is most certainly strange.

Hoeh?!

I mean, what are those surveillance cameras for? Are they for Monobear's exclusive use?

Tiny hints about what's going on meanwhile in mastermind-land, it looks like. How Monobear observed the kids last time turned out to be super important, so I think it's worth paying some attention to. Monomi's used the TV broadcast system while Usami, but never since then (incidentally, she and Monobear seem to broadcast from different rooms). Is the implication that she's doesn't have access to the security systems or is the implication that she never did? I think we can take for a fact that Monobear does have access to the system, since he's popped in on Hinata while he was alone before and would have needed a way of knowing where he was (and anyways, it's metagamey, but he'll need a way to see the murders as they happen to serve as judge, so I think it's a safe bet).

Usami's also spontaneously popped in on Hinata and Nagito while they were alone together, when she did the weird cow thing on the farm. If her appearance right then wasn't a coincidence, I guess that she'd have needed access to the security system to know precisely where they were and what they were talking about. I'm wondering whether we can assume that she had access to the security system then, but has since lost it.

We can also observe that ever since Monobear has shown up, Monomi has never been seen without the vast majority of students also being present. I put forward that idiotic ventriloquism idea earlier (which isn't especially compatible with anything I just said, since Monobear and Usami would both have needed surveillance-room access at some point) but this does seem to suggest that perhaps she needs one of the students as her eyes and ears (if this is the case, we can rule out Kuruzyuu, I guess?).

Considering how I've been theorizing, I want to read into this evidence that Monobear's usurped Monomi's operation but it can still be interpreted in many ways.

orenronen posted:

Sigh... We need a diversion.
Maybe we can get some tea and some candy, and sit down and have a nice conversation.

And I’m sure you don’t need to be told this is a girls-only event! Don't think you can just barge in!

Ah, the legendary Girls Talk session. This is the undiscovered country for guys like me...

This is so much easier than dressing up as a woman and sneaking into the women-only car on the train...

I am totally just imagining Hanamura in a dress, trying to infiltrate Girls Talk.

ZeroCaim posted:

Sorry if this has already been asked but is anyone collecting all of this great fanart from these threads and keeping it anywhere?

I don't want to miss any of it. :allears:

There was this the other day.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
As far as Ibuki's nose-pose, Tengu-comparisons aside (which make a lot of sense) I think it might also have something to do with some Japanese idioms as well; some of those get hella strange.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Here is my second set of DR2 Perler sprites (the first set is here if you missed it). Thanks to Fantastisk for the incredibly helpful new non-walking sprite for Nidai.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Hella Sonia is the best thing.

I'm hoping the game's throwing a curve ball at us with Babyface's DR1 Togami-esque lone wolf attitude, this game ain't big enough for another Togami, the one we have is big enough already. I also wonder, is it too early to suspect anything of SHSL Good Luck flubbing up something as simple as drawing lots?

I wish Monomi was eligible for Free Time, her role is far from established and her motives (though she continually restates them) don't come across. What's her deal? Is she going to continue to supply our cast with tidbits of beneficial info via slip of the tongue and general incompetence? I wouldn't mind that, while Monobear stays behind the scenes pulling all the strings Monomi tries her best to spread goodwill among the class but will continually get dumped on by Monobear, despite being indestructible. But then the question arises in that who is behind Monomi? We found out last game that Monobear ended up being some self-aware AI of sorts after Junko had perished, could the same be said of Monomi? It's not far-fetched as the last game itself established two perfectly competent AIs.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Zyxyz posted:

Here is my second set of DR2 Perler sprites (the first set is here if you missed it). Thanks to Fantastisk for the incredibly helpful new non-walking sprite for Nidai.

Those are amazing and really make me want keychains of all the 8-bit sprites of the DR2 characters.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

orenronen posted:

'Eatings!
We’re having a breakfast meeting, so we’ll be greeting and eating, right?
So Ibuki’s gonna save time by turning “eating” into a greeting so we can greet while we eat! Isn’t that neat!?

I'd love to hear what the original JP pun was.

ziddia
Jan 31, 2013

orenronen posted:

You will be happy to hear I have decided to throw a party this evening.

...Huh?

A...A...A party?

That's right. A grand all-night party, all the way through the morning.

An all-night course?!

I should warn you - absence is prohibited. This is a party with compulsory attendance.

H...Hey... What’re we having a party for, at a time like this...?!

This is the perfect time for a party.

I have to say, this bit threw me off a little. Even though it fits his current character, Togami's insistence for a (all-night) party struck me as odd.

It's probably just Togami trying to stop them from murdering each other by forcing them to spend time with each other constantly, but throwing a friendship party could (at a stretch) support the theory that Togami controls Monomi.

Or that Togami remembers DR1 and that murders generally occur right after motives, although that's stretching it a little as well.

Just speculation. Hopefully something useful will happen at the party. :allears:

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

ziddia posted:

Just speculation. Hopefully something useful will happen at the party. :allears:

Someone finds booze, everyone gets drunk off their asses, and the next day they find out that someone's dead, but none of them can remember what they did. That would definitely make the first trial interesting, in my opinion.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

RefinedUndefined posted:

Someone finds booze, everyone gets drunk off their asses, and the next day they find out that someone's dead, but none of them can remember what they did. That would definitely make the first trial interesting, in my opinion.

That would be a fantastic way to start off the first/tutorial trial. The murder wouldn't be hard or complicated, it's just that no one remembers it!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

gnome7 posted:

That would be a fantastic way to start off the first/tutorial trial. The murder wouldn't be hard or complicated, it's just that no one remembers it!

I think that'd be loving dreadful. It's like an edgy high school version of The Hangover. The motivations and everything else would be pretty lovely too.

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
Maybe Togami's testing Monobear's capabilities? Setting up a situation where Monobear would theoretically have limited entrances into a location might reveal more about how he operates/functions. Or, alternately, it could be a sort of Monobear trap, and Togami is using the party as an excuse to set something up to catch/deal with Monobear.

I find this new Togami fascinating. I initially thought that, with his new appearance, he was mostly going to be played for laughs, but that's definitely not the case. The fact that he's changed so much, and that he seems to genuinely care about his fellow students, suggests to me that he's definitely grown as a character (pun not intended) since the last game, and that this newfound heart hasn't disappear despite possible memory alteration. I almost wonder if his new appearance is actually supposed to be symbolic of this character growth, but that's too much like a high-school english paper thesis for me to really pursue it.

I do have to wonder when the first murder will happen, though. Maybe it's just the speed at which this threads progressing, but it feels like it's taken longer for one to occur. I suppose there could be some factors to consider, though: we don't have someone like Maizono around, so perhaps this group is a little more emotionally balanced than the last. There's also the fact that the setting is a beautiful island resort as opposed to an oppressive claustrophobic building, so its inhabitant are just naturally less stressed for the time being. I expect Monobear may have to up the ante if he wants to start a killing spree (though the giant killer robots were a good start).

Maybe a mole will actually have to come into play here? The game has already brought up the topic of memory alteration... perhaps a mole might be the next concept to reappear? Monobear has already hinted that there should only be 15 students on the island.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ziddia posted:

I have to say, this bit threw me off a little. Even though it fits his current character, Togami's insistence for a (all-night) party struck me as odd.

Considering that Togami specifically wanted a place where Monobear couldn't see in, he probably has something planned to tell the rest of the group that he doesn't want Monobear to overhear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Brannock posted:

Considering that Togami specifically wanted a place where Monobear couldn't see in, he probably has something planned to tell the rest of the group that he doesn't want Monobear to overhear.

I'm seeing one really big flaw with this plan: Togami said all of that, openly, in the restaurant. Somewhere where Monobear would be able to hear it. And considering the entire class (save Kuzuryuu) was there, it seems really likely Monobear would have been monitoring the restaurant at the moment. He probably knows all about this Avoid Monobear Party, and now has a few hours to set up a camera in the lodge beforehand, or something.

Hell, what's to stop Monobear from just physically showing up and walking into the lodge? Just get there before anyone else, hide, and eavesdrop directly?

• Locked thread