Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

ffuok posted:

You can definitely just open all the .rear end files in a text editor and find & replace all the curses.

Oh sweet, I had no idea! Thanks! :)

Kikka posted:

I still can't say if Tanaka is a master of physical comedy or just really like that.

The "scary" sections are always my favorite just because of him falling down at the slightest noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

I don't know if this show has been mentioned in this thread yet (or if there is a thread about this show already).

The Hero Yoshihiko and the Demon King's Castle

Basically the show is (to me anyways) Japanese Monty Python and the Holy Grail except with constant JRPG references/satire.

Killer Koala
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrganfP97FE

Buddha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgAyRl_Ut8k

There is a season 2 called The Hero Yoshihiko and the Key of Evil Spirits.

You can find full episodes here (If this is :filez:, please tell me.)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
poo poo, I didn't know Over-Time did that show too. Gonna grab those then, too lazy to sync up the sub files from d-addicts so I've been putting that off for months.

Second season is also excellent news. Thanks for the heads up.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The first season of that was amazing. The second season felt like it was mostly retreading the same jokes as the first, but not really as funny to me. I think I was at episode 7 or 8 and just lost interest.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
You know what bugs me is how Yamasaki is on, like, no other shows. I've never seen him on non-Gaki subbed stuff. He doesn't act with the rest of the group in dramas, he doesn't (seem to)show up on variety shows from what I can tell, he basically just doesn't exist on TV outside of Gaki except for some minor projects here and there. I know he does rakugo work but it's weird that he basically doesn't exist outside of GnT but at the same time he's been doing Gaki for I think close to 20 years now and is insanely well known and popular for it.

It took many a long, long time but I've gradually been coming around to the idea that he's maybe the 2nd funniest guy in the whole group behind Matsumoto. He's so gifted with his comedy that it blows me away that he doesn't do anything else on TV. I'm guessing this is by choice, though, and he feels comfortable enough with what he does on GnT and his rakugo that he doesn't feel the need to hustle from job to job like others do.

I really, really enjoy seeing moments when Matsumoto and he do bits because he forces Matsumoto to do tsukkomi when they interact and that seems to bring out this super-blunt side of Matsumoto that leaves me in stitches.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 12, 2013

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I find it a bit disappointing/annoying that apparently, with the current Batsu game being translated, all other GnT translations or whatever have been put on hold forever. Usually you can find something new or at least newly subbed on gakifiles, crazyontv or wherever. All there is now is links to the Batsu raws and links to the three translated parts that are out so far.

And no offense to the translation/subbing team, I think they're doing a pretty good job with it so far, but they already seem to be running into burnout and lack of motivation. Maybe I'm just too :tinfoil: about this but after starting out real fast, they've now not only lost speed because of their translators magically getting "sick", they also seem to have lost some quality in the subs themselves. Missed lines, swear words out of nowhere, spelling/typing errors (which I can totally forgive but c'mon, proofread your poo poo at least once). It's a little disheartening and I feel like everyone involved knew well in advance that they're not just subbing a half hour episode of some J-Drama.

Basically, I hope they can get back on track again soon and we don't end up with 3 hours translated and the rest is forgotten forever because everyone involved just goes "meh, gently caress it" in the end.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
It always happens. It's an undertaking of enormous proportions and most people don't know what a pain in the rear end it is to sub something like this show. It'll get finished but you always need to anticipate it taking somewhere around 4-5 months regardless of the group. When Shibata was doing Hotel basically by himself he did it 10 minutes a week and it took about 6 months for the whole thing to be finished. I mean you really waited for that and before you know it Spy was coming along, it took that long for him to finish. That project was almost what basically killed his desire to sub anything and he fully quit subbing Gaki stuff after Hotel so it can definitely be a chore and then some instead of a labor of love.

If I had the money I'd just hire a small group of people and make them push the thing out in a week's time. As it stands everyone is a volunteer and so if things happen in real life this goes way to the backside and rightfully so.

In this case the big issue seems to be that regardless of listing 3 or 4 translators there's only 1 doing actual work and he has issues right now so the project is basically sidelined. I wish someone like GodzillaRadio or zari-gani(for the love of god don't go to the GCCX thread and ask her) was in on this project because they're machines at this stuff and their translations are amazing to boot.

e: the guy is apparently back to translating tomorrow with part 4 to come in a week or two.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 15, 2013

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Speaking of GodzillaRadio, he's got a new episode of Lincoln subbed at his blog. I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but it looks promising. I've also got an older episode of Gaki no Tsukai that I've been neglecting, but I plan to get in more work this weekend. It's too far out for an ETA, but I swear progress is being made. I swear it.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Crotch Bat posted:

You know what bugs me is how Yamasaki is on, like, no other shows. I've never seen him on non-Gaki subbed stuff. He doesn't act with the rest of the group in dramas, he doesn't (seem to)show up on variety shows from what I can tell, he basically just doesn't exist on TV outside of Gaki except for some minor projects here and there. I know he does rakugo work but it's weird that he basically doesn't exist outside of GnT but at the same time he's been doing Gaki for I think close to 20 years now and is insanely well known and popular for it.

It took many a long, long time but I've gradually been coming around to the idea that he's maybe the 2nd funniest guy in the whole group behind Matsumoto. He's so gifted with his comedy that it blows me away that he doesn't do anything else on TV. I'm guessing this is by choice, though, and he feels comfortable enough with what he does on GnT and his rakugo that he doesn't feel the need to hustle from job to job like others do.

I really, really enjoy seeing moments when Matsumoto and he do bits because he forces Matsumoto to do tsukkomi when they interact and that seems to bring out this super-blunt side of Matsumoto that leaves me in stitches.

It's actually pretty amazing that he outplays Matsumoto as a boke.
Yamasaki doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would be happy in a stressful, constant-work life. He loves his family and spends a lot of time with creative things, such as composing music (he's actually a pretty talented piano player). Also he is really lovely at actual TV or movie acting.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Also now he is focused on Rakugo and intends to stay that way.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Crotch Bat posted:

It always happens. It's an undertaking of enormous proportions and most people don't know what a pain in the rear end it is to sub something like this show.

This is very true. The SAGCCX team has been contacted by numerous people interested in translating. Most of the time, we never hear from again after handing them a short 15-minute episode to translate as a test. It's understandable because GCCX is harder to translate than it appears. Something like this is way, way tougher.

I admit, I said I would help with Downtown translation efforts a few pages back and asides from Friendly Downtown with Yoiko (timed by Nipponophile) I never followed through on it. I just can't seem to focus on anything that isn't GCCX right now. GCCX is coming very close to being completely translated though (I imagine it'll happen this year), so maybe once that happens, I can return to translating Downtown-related stuff.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

500 Facts about Hamada was released yesterday. Pretty interesting.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxhuu5_hamada-go-hyaku-no-facts_fun

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

JerseyMonkey posted:

500 Facts about Hamada was released yesterday. Pretty interesting.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxhuu5_hamada-go-hyaku-no-facts_fun

I really liked this, are there any more of them?

Gordy
Sep 6, 2002
In the video links to the side, there's one for Tanaka, but the subs are pretty unfinished.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

For 500 Facts about Hamada, I found it really strange for some of their reactions. When Matsumoto mentioned he might've seen Hamada's son when he was younger and the awkwardness when he saw Hamada's wife, it just seemed so bizare how distanced they are even though they've worked together for the majority of their lives.

Also the ending to the episode just seemed strange. Matsumoto seemed to have no desire to be there and they didn't seem capable of much casual conversation.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

JerseyMonkey posted:

For 500 Facts about Hamada, I found it really strange for some of their reactions. When Matsumoto mentioned he might've seen Hamada's son when he was younger and the awkwardness when he saw Hamada's wife, it just seemed so bizare how distanced they are even though they've worked together for the majority of their lives.

Also the ending to the episode just seemed strange. Matsumoto seemed to have no desire to be there and they didn't seem capable of much casual conversation.

From what I read (probably in this topic) is that both of them don't see each other at all outside of the show and are even annoyed by each other.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

JerseyMonkey posted:

I noticed something similar in the Drunk Momotaro Theater (Which is one of the most hilarious GNT segments ever). When they're drinking at the start, all of the guys talk about how they generally don't hang out outside of work, particularly Hamada and Matsumoto. The whole first part is slightly awkward because of that.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING
I don't find it at all surprising -- it's all about having some breathing room. They haven't just worked together for 30 years, they've known each other since elementary school, and when they started comedy, they dealt with incredible periods of poverty and work pressure together before they found success. I'm sure they want space to live their own lives, at least in private.

Moreover, Downtown in particular have dramatically different personalities (which, of course, generates some amazing comedy) -- Matsumoto is meticulous and is always annoyed at how rudely/unrefined Hamada behaves. (One particular case I remember is Matsumoto, on his radio show, describing how horrified and disgusted he was at Hamada taking a pop idol's tongue scraper brush and immediately using it on himself.) And unlike some comic duos where one gets all the attention and the other takes one step back, both Matsumoto and Hamada have very broad appeal as individuals. Why would they be mindful of one another in their private lives?

Finally, the Japanese comedy industry is very much a vertical society, where senior members build up a posse of junior comedians with whom they spend their free time (and the seniors pay for everything).

That all said, it's intensely disappointing that they didn't do anything special for their 30th anniversary last year beyond promoting their DVDs.

Guerrand fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 16, 2013

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

All kombi seem to function differently. Some are almost strictly business acquaintances like Downtown but others, like Yoiko, seem to be dear friends at all times.

Alpha3KV posted:

I noticed something similar in the Drunk Momotaro Theater (Which is one of the most hilarious GNT segments ever). When they're drinking at the start, all of the guys talk about how they generally don't hang out outside of work, particularly Hamada and Matsumoto. The whole first part is slightly awkward because of that.

That, along with other things, basically tells you that of the group Hamada goes out with Endo the most, Matsumoto goes out with Yamasaki(and they really seem to enjoy each other's company) and Tanaka tends to hang out with other comedians entirely. If you channel that knowledge back into the batsu games you'll notice that Downtown often laugh the hardest or are most easily provoked to laughter by the junior they hang out with most. Much the same, Endo is particularly weak to Hamada's jokes and pranks and Yamasaki can be very challenging to provoke to laugh but Matsumoto has the most success.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

I've only heard of the story of momotaro, and I assume this is the best way to see it for the first time.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I wish the translation was done on the teacher batsu so people can go finish the 10 or so episodes of Kiki that don't have subs yet :(

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Does anyone know why Matsumoto always yells out random stuff like VTR for transitions? He always does it, laughs and says it was stupid, but it is always consistent to occur every once in a while.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

JerseyMonkey posted:

Does anyone know why Matsumoto always yells out random stuff like VTR for transitions? He always does it, laughs and says it was stupid, but it is always consistent to occur every once in a while.

I've always taken it as a goofy, over-the-top way to say 'Lets go to the tape!' .

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Japanese people do use some English letter acronyms now and then. I'm almost positive VTR is Video Tape Recording or something close which yea, basically means "back to the show!" and then Matsumoto just overdoes it in a very unfunny way so he can point out how unfunny it was and how much he hates doing it to get the real laughs.

Estel
May 4, 2010
It started in one of the batsus, Hamada kept asking Matsumoto to do the transitions and he did silly things to demonstrate how silly was suddenly asking him to do the transitions. It backfired because now he has to do them every batsu.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Any of you watching the new Iron Chef? It's pretty good but nobody is subbing it as far as I know.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've watched some, but without translation, I'm lost beyond what I can see going into the various pots and pans.

Guerrand
Mar 12, 2006

RING RING RING RING RING RING

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Any of you watching the new Iron Chef? It's pretty good but nobody is subbing it as far as I know.

Well the subbers can catch up soon since the word is it's slated for cancellation in March after only 12ish episodes.

Guerrand fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 19, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Wait there is a new Iron Chef? How do we find it online?

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
I found it on an iron chef fansite and D-addicts. It's a shame that it is getting cancelled so fast when the new Iron chefs are pretty great in my opinion especially Sugu, although the nominee chefs can vary in quality. There are 10 episodes out as of now so far.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It seems that part four of Enthusiastic Teachers is finished.

They seem to have messed up the permissions on the dailymotion link or something though so you can't stream it yet.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

KimT posted:

It seems that part four of Enthusiastic Teachers is finished.

They seem to have messed up the permissions on the dailymotion link or something though so you can't stream it yet.

Even the torrent links are hidden behind adfly goddamn.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That was a bad habit picked up from zurui last year. I can't imagine they see any real returns on it, maybe it covers the cost of the website or something, but I just can't complain with this since I love this stuff so much.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
That food poem segment was amazing. They all kept making the same mistakes, and came up with so many hilariously terrible lines.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It took forever to encode and finished just minutes before I typed out this reply, apparently.

e: Maybe it was just the dailymotion mirror for my region?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 27, 2013

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

Alpha3KV posted:

That food poem segment was amazing. They all kept making the same mistakes, and came up with so many hilariously terrible lines.

It's my favorite
Because of the moon viewing
It's my favorite

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

The first 2 hours of this batsu have been ridiculously funny. I saw a lot of the later stuff of this one when it originally aired so I missed these parts which gives me really high hopes for everything coming up.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
We're used to seeing families at this point, but goddamn Tanaka's wife is gorgeous!

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah, and he bought her a used Volvo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Haerc posted:

Yeah, and he bought her a used Volvo.

Being thrifty is nothing to be ashamed of. :colbert: