Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

Laserface posted:

I always found it pretty obvious how sizing worked for downloads.

700MB rip to fit on CD-R for playback on a divx compatible player
3-4GB rip for a DVD-R (straight copy)
8GB for a DL disc full copy bit for bit.

and now everything is moving towards .mp4 so you dont even have to convert it for mobile devices.

I find the scene pretty interesting actually and would love to know how stuff is decided on and so forth. anywhere that goes into detail about it?

My point is that its becoming increasingly more uncommon to find the 700MB rips. The quality is perfectly fine. If they're moving more towards the 3-4GB straight copy, thats fine, but I don't understand why they split it across 2 files, i.e. Filename.Year.cd1.avi and Filename.Year.cd1.avi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Venkmanologist posted:

The quality is perfectly fine.

You might want to buy a decent monitor or TV when you replace that 120 GB HD too.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

tarepanda posted:

You might want to buy a decent monitor or TV when you replace that 120 GB HD too.

Ugh alright, discussion over. But please, feel free to address my other point as well.

Haha and when did I ever say I was using a 120GB HDD?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Venkmanologist posted:

Ugh alright, discussion over. But please, feel free to address my other point as well.

Check Wikipedia for an article called "Standard," it might shed some light on the situation. There's nothing in there that directly speaks to your question other than some stuff about VCDs, which seems to suggest that the people who do two-CD rips are either not following established standards or are catering to a very, very, very tiny group of people who can't make DVDs and don't store things on their drives.

Venkmanologist posted:

Haha and when did I ever say I was using a 120GB HDD?

I was referring to someone else's joke about you.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Check Wikipedia for an article called "Standard," it might shed some light on the situation. There's nothing in there that directly speaks to your question other than some stuff about VCDs, which seems to suggest that the people who do two-CD rips are either not following established standards or are catering to a very, very, very tiny group of people who can't make DVDs and don't store things on their drives.

Thanks for the straight answer, thats all I was looking for. And I'm thankful to have brought up this question and discussed it without getting banned, haha

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Bent Wookiee posted:

Are Highwinds resellers subject to the same DMCA takedowns that are plaguing Astraweb currently? Or should I look for a European provider for backup?

Highwinds resellers were subject to these DMCAs long before Astraweb was, it'll be no differently or perhaps even worse. No EU only provider will take any chance with DMCAs either, especially not after the megaupload stuff. They'll DMCA just as much. It's pretty clear now that just because you aren't in America doesn't mean you aren't subject to the same internet laws as everywhere else.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Venkmanologist posted:

My point is that its becoming increasingly more uncommon to find the 700MB rips. The quality is perfectly fine. If they're moving more towards the 3-4GB straight copy, thats fine, but I don't understand why they split it across 2 files, i.e. Filename.Year.cd1.avi and Filename.Year.cd1.avi.
If you want videos in one file try to look for p2p releases and not scene stuff.
Any BRRip will be a single file and often under 800 MB for a short movie. It's an xvid re-encode of an HD file, but perfectly fine for your purposes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Someone invited me to NZB.SU. I even paid for VIP. For some reason my logs & errors section of Sickbeard still shows an awful lot of errors with NZB.SU in there. I have the API key entered.

Provider Name: NZB.su

Site URL: nzb.su/

API Key: <<entered>>

But I get this error:

Feb-10 18:46:37 ERROR SEARCHQUEUE-MANUAL-SEARCH :: Error loading NZB.su URL: nzb.su/api?age=500&apikey=blahblahblah

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Feenix posted:

Feb-10 18:46:37 ERROR SEARCHQUEUE-MANUAL-SEARCH :: Error loading NZB.su URL: nzb.su/api?age=500&apikey=blahblahblah

Errors happen all the time. My counter is regularly up in thousands because of weird directory configuration. Is it happening every single time you try to connect, and do you not see any successful nzb.su snatches?

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he
I use https://nzb.su/ for the Site URL. Not sure if the https is even needed or not. Worth a shot.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Well, I would pay less attention to the errors if my initial SB download attempts (automatically) failed with a Snatch only.

wasn't sure if it was related or not. Usually SABNZBD reports some kind of NZBsRUS error. (So I removed it from my providers list...)

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Venkmanologist posted:

Its becoming increasingly difficult to find rips that AREN'T spread across 2 files. I can understand wanting to cut down on file size, but there is absolutely no reason a DVD rip should be 3-4 GB in size, with ~1.5 GB on each "disc". I purposely avoid Blu-Ray rips so I don't eat up hard drive storage space.

Anyone else notice this trend?
A 3-4GB DVD rip encoded in any MPEG-4 standard is pretty ridiculous.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

bobdigi posted:

I use https://nzb.su/ for the Site URL. Not sure if the https is even needed or not. Worth a shot.

I also use https://nzb.su/ and it all works perfectly, so you may want to give that a shot.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hey guys, i've been running SABNZBD for a long time now. I was running a super old version on my WHS server until last week when i updated to the newest version.

On the old version of SAB, after say 6 or so hours, i wouldn't be able to connect to SAB anymore via my web browser. However, it was still 'running' because it would still download stuff that sickbeard was sending to it. After about a week, SAB would just stop working altogether (sickbeard requests won't get through) and i'd have to reboot my WHS.

I was hoping that when i upgraded to the newest SAB this problem would go away, but it's still happening. Does anyone know what's going on?

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch

Venkmanologist posted:

the Scene has standards for release sizes, and they're only changed when they can all agree on the next medium for it.

d3c1
Feb 3, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What are a few good discussion newsgroups? So far im subscribed to comp.lang.* and a few hacker newsgroups (*2600 and alt.hacker)

Heavy goon newsgroups needed

Ps use android to read news group it's really awesome with voice transcribing

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Mister Fister posted:

Hey guys, i've been running SABNZBD for a long time now. I was running a super old version on my WHS server until last week when i updated to the newest version.

On the old version of SAB, after say 6 or so hours, i wouldn't be able to connect to SAB anymore via my web browser. However, it was still 'running' because it would still download stuff that sickbeard was sending to it. After about a week, SAB would just stop working altogether (sickbeard requests won't get through) and i'd have to reboot my WHS.

I was hoping that when i upgraded to the newest SAB this problem would go away, but it's still happening. Does anyone know what's going on?

Did you upgrade on top of an existing version? If so, I'd suggest completely uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that fixes it. Be sure to screen shot your categories section and newer versions of SAB don't have them setup by default.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

EC posted:

Did you upgrade on top of an existing version? If so, I'd suggest completely uninstalling and reinstalling to see if that fixes it. Be sure to screen shot your categories section and newer versions of SAB don't have them setup by default.

Yeah i'll try that thanks

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Is it me or is usenet full of German linux distros. At least those indexed by NZB.su. I go "oh hey that sounds cool" but then its always in German. Almost more than in english.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

Is it me or is usenet full of German linux distros. At least those indexed by NZB.su. I go "oh hey that sounds cool" but then its always in German. Almost more than in english.

Just disable the foreign stuff.

Stiggs
Apr 25, 2008

Miles and miles of friends!

Feenix posted:

If you try changing to https:// and are still having the same problem, open up your config.ini and make sure that it's actually saving your change. I was having this same issue and changing to https:// from within sickbeard itself did nothing, but manually editing the config file worked. :)

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Gozinbulx posted:

They usually have the English track included. Check the nfo before downloading. You could even remux the Linux distro and remove the German track to save disk space, which is what I've done on occasion.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Gozinbulx posted:

Don't most Linux distros prompt for language selection on inst--oh. I get it.

Mthrboard
Aug 24, 2002
Grimey Drawer

SpaceAceJase posted:

They usually have the English track included. Check the nfo before downloading. You could even remux the Linux distro and remove the German track to save disk space, which is what I've done on occasion.

I usually just switch the English to the default keymap and disable any forced on-screen translations that may be included. But if you're short on disk space, definitely remove any unnecessary moon languages.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
I've got an invite for nzb.su to the first one who can write me a good haiku.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

faceless, I cant dream
Worlds of sorrow on my head
give me your invite

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
finite hard drive space
but endless linux distros
and not enough time

Err, wait, I don't need the invite. I just wanted to write a haiku.

My friend (also a goon) could probably use it though.

wafflehaus
Dec 23, 2011
he's anti_social
he helped me out this one time
i really owe him

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way for Sickbeard to automatically detect when it's failed a download and initiate a secondary or tertiary download if needed? Couchpotato does this when it fails but I find Sickbeard snatches one and only one release. Also for some reason it didn't add sabToSickbeard.py to it either. Is this an easy thing to add in?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Anti_Social posted:

I've got an invite for nzb.su to the first one who can write me a good haiku.

There are only two
Types of people in this world;
Those who follow rules

And people who don't give a fuuuuuck haiku

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

bam thwok posted:

There are only two
Types of people in this world;
Those who follow rules

And people who don't give a fuuuuuck haiku

To bam thwok goes the prize!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
My invite to NZB.su seems okay, although it hiccuped a bit during registration. When I try to login putting in the wrong details it tells me "login failed", but correct ones just reset that login window.
If I select "forgot password" I input my email and it tells me "No user with that email address was found". I can't re-register as my invite is now "old or already used".
I think I broke it, yeah?

e: can current users look up members? If so, can you check to see when "gromit" joined to see if it lists today's date?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fixed my Couch Potato problem (it had enabled the black hole which meant it was bypassing send to sab), everything worked for a few days now back to stuff not working.

Latest issue according to the log:

quote:

[.core.downloaders.sabnzbd] Failed sending release, use API key, NOT the NZB key: Traceback (most recent call last):
OverflowError: sleep length is too large

Except it's not the NZB key, it's the API key. It's always been the API key and this has always worked. I've copied and pasted the API key into it again but still the same error. I don't really want to regenerate new keys as I'll have to update everything else that talks to it and my hunch is that it won't work anyway. Anyone else had this issue?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Gromit posted:

My invite to NZB.su seems okay, although it hiccuped a bit during registration. When I try to login putting in the wrong details it tells me "login failed", but correct ones just reset that login window.
If I select "forgot password" I input my email and it tells me "No user with that email address was found". I can't re-register as my invite is now "old or already used".
I think I broke it, yeah?

e: can current users look up members? If so, can you check to see when "gromit" joined to see if it lists today's date?

Are you trying to log in with your username or your e-mail address? For some reason when I first registered if I tried to log in with my e-mail address it would never work, but if I used my username it worked fine. My e-mail address was set correctly and I received stuff from the site in my inbox just fine so I assume something somewhere was busted on their end. It works now so maybe new accounts have some kind of issue where the e-mail isn't set up for login right away but the username is.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Invite gone.

Treytor fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 12, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
what chrome extension do you guys use for sending nzb directly to SAB? I use one but it keeps wanting me to enter my login/pass everytime something loads...

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
sabconnect++

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

1000GB block for $38

Highwinds reseller. I'm happy with them.

e: It's not advertised but it should be 1100GB since they give you 10% extra for downloading headers.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Wow, can't pass that up.

Should pad my accounts nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeybounce
Feb 9, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

1000GB block for $38

Highwinds reseller. I'm happy with them.

e: It's not advertised but it should be 1100GB since they give you 10% extra for downloading headers.

They're also doing a $7 unlimited monthly.

http://newsgroupdirect.com/unlimited-usenet