Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Mans posted:

Is that Ethiopia riding all the way to Zanzibar?

Yeah, they've even got them all cored and converted.

Kersch posted:

That's the first time I've seen AI Portugal do so well. And yet Galicia still revolted/was released by them. Galicia and Cornwall, man, there's something about those guys.

It's one or the other every single game, and on rare occasions both.

Also guess my worries were premature, because barely 40 years later...

Espanha is a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
I like how it looks like Austria has somehow held onto Sundgau all those years despite being declawed in Eastern Europe.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I've been playing EU3+ too, and the one improvement I think would be nice would be if the different levels of Overextention had different names, like either Overextention Level 1 - 10 or whatever or
Mild Overextension, Severe Overextension, Extreme Overextension, etc.

(Can you guess how I'm doing? :v: )

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fintilgin posted:

I've been playing EU3+ too, and the one improvement I think would be nice would be if the different levels of Overextention had different names, like either Overextention Level 1 - 10 or whatever or
Mild Overextension, Severe Overextension, Extreme Overextension, etc.

(Can you guess how I'm doing? :v: )

Only if I can name the highest level of Overextension "Jesus christ, just stop conquering provinces you don't need already".

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wiz posted:

Only if I can name the highest level of Overextension "Jesus christ, just stop conquering provinces you don't need already".

Dude! You'll never take all of North America before the AI gets any with that attitude! :colbert:

1635. Moved my capital to Nieuw Amsterdam ~1540. Now Europe sends tariffs to America. :c00l:

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Wiz posted:

Name it Euroslavasia

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Wiz posted:

Please do. :allears:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Wiz posted:

Ne-ed? What in the everloving hell is that? Does it rhyme with :swoon: greed :swoon:?

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 10, 2013

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wiz posted:

But my pretty boarders! :cry:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

They keep talking about "unintended consequences" of allowing eldest daughters to inherit. What exactly do you suppose they mean by that? Do they mean the crown passing out of the House of Windsor if the eldest daughter should marry and take her husband's name? Also, why would it even matter anymore whose family held the crown in a constitutional monarchy where Parliament decides things?

They're talking about the implications of a bill altering royal succession that still doesn't allow Roman Catholics to take the throne.

DarckRedd
Oct 11, 2009
My Austria EVERYTHING has generated some slightly ahistorical borders.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That happens all the time now because of the horde mechanics. Hopefully EU4 will have a way to prevent this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DarckRedd posted:

Those are extremely common borders for Austria, which is unfortunate.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DarckRedd posted:

That rump Scandinavia in Denmark made me realize something; perhaps it would be nice if cultural unions were a bit much likely to break up once formed? Scandinavia in particular always ends up breaking apart pretty much the minute it's formed, which is just ridiculous. Really, such a union should only be possible to make when every constituent state accepts it, which should vastly reduce the chance of separatism. (In the time-frame of the game at least.) Make that process harder if need be, but if the AI manages to unite then let it have that damnit! :argh: Really, the AI should be much better at holding together its domains, cleaning up stupid left-overs and eradicating enclaves in EU4.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I just want the ability to take a capitol province even if they have coastal colonies halfway around the world.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Because this image is too good to keep in my thread and deserves to be shared with the larger community:

Steppe Wolfe: Phoenix on Egypt.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Patter Song posted:

Because this image is too good to keep in my thread and deserves to be shared with the larger community:

Steppe Wolfe: Phoenix on Egypt.

I lost at Hannover/Kosovo

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

A while back someone mentioned trying to form India as the Sikh in Vicky 2, I thought that sounded interesting so I tried it myself. You start out with a shitload of soldiers and plenty of poor people to tax as well as I think good income from exporting tea and sugar. Grabbing Afghanistan and the Baluchistan area was no problem at all, but then you're looking at the UK and its dozens of puppets. I allied with China who also border the UK's holdings and when I saw that the UK was at war with the USA I declared myself with a release puppet CB (you have tons of core CBs to add).
It went great at first, smashed the british stacks guarding the border and a bunch of their puppets' armies. However for every stack I killed, 5 more eventually showed up. I'd start a battle with a numerical advantage and halfway through there'd be 5 times as many UK forces! They just kept coming and coming and coming.
The Chinese were loving useless too, for some reason they kept almost all their massive forces in Eastern China (maybe the AI is "defending" against the possibility of naval invasions?) - all they did was send tiny stacks to siege provinces but they got obliterated as soon as they got there.
At that point my warscore fluctuated around 20 and my wargoals were for ~10 points, but they never took the peace deal. I guess this was because they had so many more troops than my side did?
I reloaded pre war and tried to get France to join, which they did eventually. That however made things even worse, my victories in India barely made a dent in the warscore while the UK sank France's ships and all of France's troops sat uselessly on the mainland.

Any helpful tips?
How do I get the world's greatest power to make small concessions in a war?
How do I deal with the huge number of troops the UK can field? In EU3 I could use scorched earth on border provinces to make their stacks eat huge attrition, but I don't know what to do in V2.
In the battle screen their front line was much wider than mine, I'm assuming that's good. Is that a tech thing or an army composition thing? I was mainly using regulars with some cav/arty.
Can you even realistically get the UK out of India in the game's timeframe? It looks like even if I manage to liberate a couple of puttets and a region every war, I probably won't get there before the end of the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vodos posted:

Any helpful tips?
How do I get the world's greatest power to make small concessions in a war?
How do I deal with the huge number of troops the UK can field? In EU3 I could use scorched earth on border provinces to make their stacks eat huge attrition, but I don't know what to do in V2.
In the battle screen their front line was much wider than mine, I'm assuming that's good. Is that a tech thing or an army composition thing? I was mainly using regulars with some cav/arty.
Can you even realistically get the UK out of India in the game's timeframe? It looks like even if I manage to liberate a couple of puttets and a region every war, I probably won't get there before the end of the game.

Attrition is still your friend, even if you don't have scorch earth (or desert provinces), and the AI is really dumb about it. If you see they are losing units gradually just let them siege your provinces, you can recapture your cores a lot faster than they can (and with a larger force limit). Fight a war of evasion until they have been sufficiently weakened by attrition, and only then face them on the battlefield. Tempt them with a small army in a moutain/river province and time your reinforcements to arrive one or two days after their army, so you have a decisive advantage.

The problem with fighting in India is that many provinces have high forcelimits and Britain has a lot of armies, so make sure your forces are stationed around the Hindus (for the defensive bonus from being at a river) and are large enough that the UK will be forced to consolidate their stacks into numbers that will suffer from attrition.

Considering how you are above the warscore, AI Britain would still peace out comfortably given time, as they will be gathering war exhaustion just from being at war. Be careful about inviting other GPs into your alliance as they will steal leadership, and may just give up your goals even as you are winning.

Something that might help, is that you can try to reduce relations as much as possible and try to bait Britain into declaring against you. The AI has the habit of not calling in allies, so you will have a much smaller opposition.

The thing with dealing a killing blow to Britain is that their POPs will gain militancy with each lost war. If the government is couped into a republic or dictatorship this will reset all their political relations, which means the puppets should go free and be easy pickings. Hell, depending on how the game goes that might even happen without you doing anything. But it's a long shot.

The first two wars should be the hardest ones, as each conquered region will net you a few million POPs, including a huge ammount of soldiers. After those victories you can just ignore badboy and start bullying everyone around you with your Indian locomotive. It's quite dificult and needs a fair bit of luck to get to that point, but it is possible.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
England really needs events or something to help it model the real life decline of the empire. The problem is theres just no factors to model this at all so generally England will just carry the game away unless the player games it. I hope an evantual Victoria III can do this.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

ZearothK posted:

helpful stuff
Thanks, I'll try again.

I looked at one of the Steam threads on the EUIV forums and holy poo poo:

crazy person on PDX forums posted:

Steam is a botnet that tracks your activity. It can record and observe cookies from other programs (illegally) and Valve can then give those cookies and data to third-party sources.

Do not trust Steam, especially if your ideologies are not exactly palatable with your government's.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Thats not really untrue its just phrased in a funny way.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I'm sure the Great Leaders of the West are making GBS threads themselves with terror at the thought of what some basementdwelling history nerd/Balkan nationalist might think of them.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Ah, I see this one has bought "The Sword of Islam." Time to pay him a visit.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

RagnarokAngel posted:

England really needs events or something to help it model the real life decline of the empire. The problem is theres just no factors to model this at all so generally England will just carry the game away unless the player games it. I hope an evantual Victoria III can do this.

I appreciate where you're coming from somewhat, but half the damm point is that you/the AI can ensure it doesn't go that way. Events for forcing history to occur 'as it did' is pointless when the whole point is things can and probably will go differently.

Though it could be that I'm jumping on something only I see.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
The problem is that empires in paradox games really only collapse due to external factors, which is pretty much the opposite of how most empires failed in real life. Some were forcibly dismantled but the majority rotted from the inside for anything from 50 to 500 years before disintegrating.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I don't think there'd be anything wrong with a "Canada/Australia/New Zealand/South Africa demand Dominion Status" event chain with options to either accept it and have each one released as a satellite or reject it and deal with considerably raised militancy/nationalism in the areas.

I understand the logic of wanting player input to matter, but I think Canadian/Australian/New Zealand independence should be more likely to happen than them staying with the Empire.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Something I've been wondering for a while now; is it ever advantageous to switch religions? I like the looks of the production/tax advantages you get with Protestantism, but in practice all converting has ever accomplished for me is making the entire world despise me and racking up intolerance penalties while I manually convert my provinces.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Jabarto posted:

Something I've been wondering for a while now; is it ever advantageous to switch religions? I like the looks of the production/tax advantages you get with Protestantism, but in practice all converting has ever accomplished for me is making the entire world despise me and racking up intolerance penalties while I manually convert my provinces.

Generally, one of three things will cause me to convert in any given game:

1) Majority of population has already converted to new religion/abandoned state religion and need converting anyway. Just go with the flow man, if you have 70% of your population Protestant or 40 Protestant and 20 reformed, convert.

2) Pope is loving pissed at me and I am in a position where I am more concerned with the negatives of excommunication than holy war. Like in the Peace of God scenario of Misc Mods, if I am Jerusalem and the pope hates me, Alexandria and the Byzantines won't mind terribly if I become Protestant.

3) Because everyone else is. No need to die for the faith, if most super powers have converted to Protestant, it's time to jump boat.

Other than that yeah converting is a pain in the rear end. It also has an effect on your tax income I believe but like I said, unless everyone else is doing it (see: all your neighbors or all your peasants) no need to bother.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Preorder March of the Eagles at Gamersgate, get a free copy of Sengoku... hooray?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

:ohdear: I'm conflicted. On the one hand, the combat in Paradox games is the thing I care least about, and not because it's poorly done or anything but because I'm just more into diplomacy religion and cultural mechanics, but on the other hand this is my only chance to get Sengoku without specifically paying for it, and it* could still surprise me....

Also I love the 4 Italian cultures, but everything from Lithuania to Estonia is just Balt culture :allears:.

*it being MoE :downs:

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 12, 2013

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
Keeping up the proud tradition of refusing to believe that anyone in France isn't Parisian I see... :(

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

DrProsek posted:

Generally, one of three things will cause me to convert in any given game:

1) Majority of population has already converted to new religion/abandoned state religion and need converting anyway. Just go with the flow man, if you have 70% of your population Protestant or 40 Protestant and 20 reformed, convert.

Sure, but if you go Innovative like I do, this isn't an option.

DrProsek posted:

2) Pope is loving pissed at me and I am in a position where I am more concerned with the negatives of excommunication than holy war. Like in the Peace of God scenario of Misc Mods, if I am Jerusalem and the pope hates me, Alexandria and the Byzantines won't mind terribly if I become Protestant.

This makes sense, though you're liable to piss off Castile and France by doing it, which sounds much worse.

DrProsek posted:

3) Because everyone else is. No need to die for the faith, if most super powers have converted to Protestant, it's time to jump boat.

I don't think this has ever happened in my games. Usually one or two of the HRE states will convert but otherwise the Protestant Reformation is pretty much toothless.

Frankly I'd be perfectly happy to go tolerant and ignore the issue if it weren't for that stupid naval forcelimits penalty you get if a coastal province has a different religion than yours.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jabarto posted:

As far as Reformation conversions go, I usually plan ahead to be the one that has the Reformation start on, so I get the stability free conversion + piles of ducats. Plus, the early you convert, the faster your provinces will flip, which usually means only one or two missionaries needed.

Downsides of course are that all your alliances break, anyone that was the old religion rather dislikes you, and finding new non-vassal alliances can be tricky. Which is also why you should have hordes of vassals if possible, because they make great meat shields for the inevitable wars.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Victoria 2 question: The "Install Communist Government" CB places the country in your sphere AND makes them your puppet, right?

Any idea if March of the Eagles is going to show up separately on Steam? I'm wondering if they have a different pre-order bonus.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any idea if March of the Eagles is going to show up separately on Steam? I'm wondering if they have a different pre-order bonus.

Should be the same everywhere.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

pdxjohan posted:

Should be the same everywhere.

So the deal's going to go up on steam as well? My interest is piqued in MotE so I wouldn't put pre-ordering past me if it's going to get me Sengoku another icon on paradoxplaza.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Nice, I had just barely enough blue coins to pre-order MotE.

Niiice, the manual is 108 pages. Now to hope that I will find the game less impenetrable than full-on AGEOD games.

Stalingrad
Feb 5, 2011

I enjoy that England is "British" but Scotland and Wales have distinct national identities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Newbie question, but starting as France in EU3, what is the preferred way of uniting France? Diplo-annexing your vassals one at a time over decades? Or mixing in re-conquests? In my game I just started, I cancelled vassalisation and annexed one, but apparently my prestige is too low to do that process again.

• Locked thread