Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MaakHatt posted:

Can anyone recommend software or a Google Chrome plugin that can control web traffic? Something that blocks access to certain sites entirely is OK, but I'd prefer if there were options to browse "blocked" sites during certain times of the day (like 6-8 PM every night) or just weekends. I'm far too distracted at school and need help focusing.

edit: Thanks a ton Movac!

I've been using 'Rescue Time' too, with decent success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Armourking posted:

I don't believe you can set individual row heights per column. You'd have to do some splitting and merging to get it right, unfortunately.
Edit: Other thing would be to split it into another table, I guess.
Your suggestion of using multiple tables may be the only way. I tried splitting/merging aggressively in different columns, but the rows find "partners" to sync with.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Unless you're planning to send your movie back in time to 2005 you really shouldn't be using VirtualDub anymore, that poo poo is outdated like crazy by now.
The go-to tool for recoding video and audio nowadays is ffmpeg. Officially it's just a command line tool but it's not that complicated. If you have severe commandlinophobia there are GUI wrappers for it. For more specialized muxing/demuxing including chapters, subtitles etc there is mkvtoolnix which is specialized for mkv output.

For video compression, absolutely use x264. As a GUI for that, Handbrake is the #1 pick nowadays.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

peak debt posted:

Unless you're planning to send your movie back in time to 2005 you really shouldn't be using VirtualDub anymore, that poo poo is outdated like crazy by now.
The go-to tool for recoding video and audio nowadays is ffmpeg. Officially it's just a command line tool but it's not that complicated. If you have severe commandlinophobia there are GUI wrappers for it. For more specialized muxing/demuxing including chapters, subtitles etc there is mkvtoolnix which is specialized for mkv output.

For video compression, absolutely use x264. As a GUI for that, Handbrake is the #1 pick nowadays.

It seems odd to describe a tool that has a graphical user interface as a thing of the past in order to endorse a command line utility.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

peak debt posted:

For everything video i usually go http://www.videohelp.com/ as the first step.
A lot of outdated guides though, probably got a few for VirtualDub :D

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I have an odd problem with a user at work, been kicking my rear end for a week. I took away her XP/Office 2007 laptop and gave her a new one with win7/office 2010, copied all her data.

If you open "documents" and start to scroll it pops up an error "windows explorer has stopped working" every time.

I saw this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2694911
and updated the video drivers, swapped ram with another laptop and tried the thumbnail options it mentions. Nothing helped.

I gave her a different win7 laptop, same model, same image and the explorer problem is not quite as bad but on this one but now something new: on any office product if she clicks file - open and starts to scroll through documents in that file picker dialog, you get an instant error about "word has stopped working". I can't get explorer itself to fail on this one until I start changing the thumbnail options to never show thumbnails, then explorer will fail, and word/excel/pp do too.

Any ideas? She does have a lot of data in there, around 9000 files 9gb. Root of my docs has 725 items, 100 something folders 600 something files.
Any of that a problem?

That link above talks about looking in action center - maintenence - view reliability. If I look there I can see all the errors logged and whether it be explorer.exe or word.exe as the "faulting application name" they all have a "faulting module path=ntdll.dll" in common.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wagonburner posted:

I have an odd problem with a user at work, been kicking my rear end for a week. I took away her XP/Office 2007 laptop and gave her a new one with win7/office 2010, copied all her data.

If you open "documents" and start to scroll it pops up an error "windows explorer has stopped working" every time.

Any ideas? She does have a lot of data in there, around 9000 files 9gb. Root of my docs has 725 items, 100 something folders 600 something files.
Any of that a problem?

I would post in the tech support forum...this thread is more looking for software recommendations.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

peak debt posted:

VirtualDub still works fine for simple video editing, and it can encode to whatever you have installed on your system, so it's not really outdated in that sense. Perhaps for muxing and such a commandline tool would be fine, but it can't give you a live preview of the video, being able to set bookmarks and such. A command-line based video editing program sounds like an attempt at a Linux joke. :)

I'll give Handbrake a try the next time I have the need, though.

Aonyx posted:

In addition to my last question; What would you all recommend for video compression?
Freemake Video Converter is dead simple and works great. It almost looks suspicious, due to being free and a bit too shiny so to speak, but it works really well with zero fuss.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I'm using Outlook 2007 and am actively working on two projects. I've configured my Outlook profile so that I have access to my own mailbox, mailbox for Project A, and mailbox for Project B.

Is there a way to set up automatic replies for each of the mailboxes? As far as I can tell, it only lets me set it up for my own mailbox.

Multiple users will have access to the project mailboxes and that's why we want the mailboxes available on each of their profiles (as opposed to logging in directly into project a/b accounts).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Tortilla Maker posted:

I'm using Outlook 2007 and am actively working on two projects. I've configured my Outlook profile so that I have access to my own mailbox, mailbox for Project A, and mailbox for Project B.

Is there a way to set up automatic replies for each of the mailboxes? As far as I can tell, it only lets me set it up for my own mailbox.

Multiple users will have access to the project mailboxes and that's why we want the mailboxes available on each of their profiles (as opposed to logging in directly into project a/b accounts).

Nope. That can only be done via webaccess. Outlook is terrible for multiple mailboxes. Lets say User A deletes an email from a proxy email box. That deleted email goes into User A trash and not the trash of the proxy email account. It's terrible.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
A bit late to the party, but CamStudio is a ~Free~ option to CamTasia, and you can try it and see if you like it before pulling out your wallet. Also seconding HandBrake for batch and single file compression.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So whenever I plug in a USB device and the system chimes all the audio in any other application gets cut until I restart the application. I've read the fixes for Skype doing this and for Steam doing this posted on previous pages, and I thought maybe it was steam until I tested it without steam open, and I've checked the volume mixer to see if it's been lowered in there but no dice, all the volumes for every application behave as though nothing is changed and the levels are set exactly where they are supposed to be.

This is driving me crazy.

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

Grab Meatcastle posted:

So whenever I plug in a USB device and the system chimes all the audio in any other application gets cut until I restart the application. I've read the fixes for Skype doing this and for Steam doing this posted on previous pages, and I thought maybe it was steam until I tested it without steam open, and I've checked the volume mixer to see if it's been lowered in there but no dice, all the volumes for every application behave as though nothing is changed and the levels are set exactly where they are supposed to be.

This is driving me crazy.

Turn of system sounds?

Actually i think it might be "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device", in control panel, sound, playback tab, hit properties for your speakers or whatever it is, then on the advanced tab, uncheck "allow.."

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I've got another MS Office question. I'm trying to print columns laid out in precise measurements so they fill the page exactly and meet certain size criteria. However, I can't get the first columnn to extend to the margin. The far right column, however does.

Any ideas?

It seems like there's a threshold where this starts occurring: .5 inches in portait and .25 in landscape. I'm going for .31 margins in landscape, which is triggering it.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 12, 2013

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Windows question for y'all. I'm building a new PC, and I am planning on reusing my current license of Windows 7 Professional. I was planning on doing this by creating a bootable USB drive. Problem: my current PC is 32-bit, I am moving to 64-bit. Apparently you cannot create a 64-bit drive within a 32-bit environment, neither by command line or by the Microsoft-provided utility. I've tried both.

Okay, I figured, I'll do it on my 64-bit Windows 8 laptop. Same deal, sort of--it gave me some noise about can't run bootsect.exe from a UEFI device.

I wasn't planning on doing this, but it looks like I'm going to have to install an optical drive on my new CPU to make it work, unless any of y'all have encountered this before or know of any sort of workaround. Thanks in advance!

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
We have a bunch of servers with names that are too drat long, and I want to create a bunch of CNAMEs for them.

We're using Server 2008 R2 for our DNS, and I want the CNAMEs to be just the last 4 characters of the A record. Is there a nice scripted way of doing this, or am I doomed to manually typing them all up?

Edit: Found a way of doing it!

dnscmd does command line dns editing.

so running> dnscmd /recordadd mydomain.local XXYY CNAME 111111-LLDDXXYY.mydomain.local

where XXYY is the desired short CNAME entry, and the last variable is the A record to point towards.

And with a lot of servers, I was able to get by with Excel auto-complete on a spreadsheet of server, pasting that into notepad, saving as a batch file and just executing that. If there's a super fancy way to powershell out the host records I wouldn't mind seeing it, but my quick and dirty got the Job Done.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 13, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GreenNight posted:

Nope. That can only be done via webaccess. Outlook is terrible for multiple mailboxes. Lets say User A deletes an email from a proxy email box. That deleted email goes into User A trash and not the trash of the proxy email account. It's terrible.

If outlook is terrible what else is recommended?

How do I emulate Multiple Spaces/Desktops like in OS X/Linux? On Windows 7.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I've had two quite different computers fail to update Windows 7 last night, after shut down it just sat at installing updates for both of them. One stuck at update 1, the other at update 2. I'm not even sure what to do about it as it happened outside Windows and there is little in common between the machines.

On3moresoul
Apr 22, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
For those of you having audio problems, specifically where audio suddenly reduces at the occurrence of another sound, check this setting:

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> Communications

Select 'Do Nothing'

This is referred to as "ducking" or "attenuation", it's helpful in voice chat programs but shouldn't be occurring outside of those situations. The issues described seem to fit it perfectly though, as I occasionally had issues when using it with outside programs not returning to the correct volume without a restart.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm looking for an intra office IM/In-Out Board that's AD compatible, has user/supervisor level access capability, centrally managed, and integrates with Outlook.

That said, I don't think I want MS Lync. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it has a native In-Out board that can be displayed at a kiosk. Also a Lync installation would be directed and managed by our Exchange group, who doesn't really like these kind of small-scale deployments that we'll be using this board for.

Suggestions?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Boris Galerkin posted:

If outlook is terrible what else is recommended?

How do I emulate Multiple Spaces/Desktops like in OS X/Linux? On Windows 7.

Nothing. You just have to Deal With It.

Also for multiple spaces, try VirtuaWin.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GreenNight posted:

Also for multiple spaces, try VirtuaWin.

Does VirtuaWin let you do things like drag programs/windows into different spaces? I tried Desktops today and while it works in a rudimentary sense, it was missing a lot of things OS X Spaces could do (like dragging windows back and forth into different spaces, and being able to control a media program (e.g, Spotify) hidden in a different space with the media keys on the keyboard unless I was in the space space as the media app itself).

e: Also, when I ctrl + tab'ed between programs it had a really annoying tendency to bring the highlighted program into focus even though I still had the ctrl key held down. This was super annoying because sometimes I just wanted/needed extra time to see which program ctrl + tab selected because it wasn't 100% obvious and then it would just bring another window into focus on top of the ctrl + tab bar. How do I disable this behavior?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 13, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I tried Desktops today and while it works in a rudimentary sense, it was missing a lot of things OS X Spaces could do (like dragging windows back and forth into different spaces, and being able to control a media program (e.g, Spotify) hidden in a different space with the media keys on the keyboard unless I was in the space space as the media app itself).

e: Also, when I ctrl + tab'ed between programs it had a really annoying tendency to bring the highlighted program into focus even though I still had the ctrl key held down. This was super annoying because sometimes I just wanted/needed extra time to see which program ctrl + tab selected because it wasn't 100% obvious and then it would just bring another window into focus on top of the ctrl + tab bar. How do I disable this behavior?
I don't use it myself, but I've seen a bunch of recommendations for Dexpot for virtual desktops on Windows. I can't tell if its going to do everything you want, but it seems definitely worth checking out.

And I'm guessing you mean alt-tabbing between programs? Ctrl-tabbing would usually switch between tabs or windows of the same program. If so, see if the behaviour of the Win+Tab feature suits you better.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

I don't use it myself, but I've seen a bunch of recommendations for Dexpot for virtual desktops on Windows. I can't tell if its going to do everything you want, but it seems definitely worth checking out.

And I'm guessing you mean alt-tabbing between programs? Ctrl-tabbing would usually switch between tabs or windows of the same program. If so, see if the behaviour of the Win+Tab feature suits you better.

I'm looking for a free solution so Dexpot is out (I'm actually really surprised having multiple desktops isn't a standard feature and my coworkers look at me like I'm a weirdo for even wanting something like this). Gonna try out the other one recommended today.

Also yeah I mean alt tab sorry. I tried win tab but this isn't what I want. I like that alt tab brings up a bar showing other programs/windows, but I don't like that it "brings it into focus" if I hover on it too long.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm looking for a free solution so Dexpot is out (I'm actually really surprised having multiple desktops isn't a standard feature and my coworkers look at me like I'm a weirdo for even wanting something like this). Gonna try out the other one recommended today.

Also yeah I mean alt tab sorry. I tried win tab but this isn't what I want. I like that alt tab brings up a bar showing other programs/windows, but I don't like that it "brings it into focus" if I hover on it too long.
Huh. Could've sworn Dexpot was free at some point.

On the Alt-Tab thing, I found this interesting thing on Wikipedia:

Wikipedia posted:

In Windows 7 Alt+Tab, after a one-second delay, displays the full-sized application window immediately each time the cursor position changes, hiding all other windows. This is a part of Aero Peek feature, new in Windows 7. This behavior can be disabled along with Aero Peek: Control Panel - Performance Information and Tools - Adjust visual effects - uncheck Enable Aero Peek.

Delay is adjustable by setting the LivePreview_ms value in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AltTab registry key.

Some users report that the switcher dialog does not stay on top while it is displayed, but one can navigate through this dialog using mouse even if it is completely overlapped by some window. This bug is reported to be user profile specific. Some user profiles on the same machine may encounter this bug, some not. As discovered, the problem is caused by desktop gadgets system. After killing sidebar.exe process (which hosts the gadgets), the problem disappears. After restarting sidebar the problem appears again. This bug also happens when ipoint.exe, the Microsoft Intellipoint mouse driver, is running.
[...]
Using Windows 7 the additional key combination Alt-Ctrl-Tab brings up the switcher dialog and it remains on screen after all the keys have been released.
So, even though you can't disable the full screen live preview without killing Aero Peek along with it, the switcher dialog is supposed to stay on top, allowing you to check out the other windows in your own time.

It doesn't for me, and I do indeed have desktop gadgets enabled and use a mouse that uses the Intellipoint driver. But then, it doesn't bother me enormously either.

In case this happens for you as well because of the gadget system, you can maybe look into an alternative like Rainmeter or something. Microsoft stopped support for the sidebar some time ago due to security issues anyway.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Windows 8: Is there some way to make the right sidebar come in quicker? or make it sensitive to the entire right edge of the screen? It's a little annoying fumbling around the right edge trying to bring up the sidebar so I can shut down or restart properly. And even then it's pretty finnicky.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
I find the quickest way to pull it up is to go to either right corner, and then swipe towards the vertical center of the screen (so bottom right corner and then directly up, or top right and directly down). It's pretty much instant that way.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Canuckistan posted:

I'm looking for an intra office IM/In-Out Board that's AD compatible, has user/supervisor level access capability, centrally managed, and integrates with Outlook.

That said, I don't think I want MS Lync. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it has a native In-Out board that can be displayed at a kiosk. Also a Lync installation would be directed and managed by our Exchange group, who doesn't really like these kind of small-scale deployments that we'll be using this board for.

Suggestions?
If your demands are AD integration, central management and Outlook integration I really doubt you'll find a more integrated match than Lync. How about "just" writing your own kiosk app (or find one) that integrates with Outlook instead of Lync? Outlook is where people will put in their meetings and whether they're working from home or are sick, so that's where you will find info about people being in/out.

I'm also curious about why your Exchange group "doesn't like small-scale deployments". What kind of attitude is that if your team needs it? They work in the interest of the company, not to set their own technical agenda. That's my view on it at least.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I get this prompt every time I try to remote to one of our servers (on the same domain):

I'm on Windows 7, use mRemote, and of course have the firewall on. And yeah, I want the clipboard to be on, I would just like to get rid of the prompt. Googling yields nothing conclusive, surprisingly. I've tried digging through the advanced firewall rules but can't find anything. :/

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't have any kind of "graphic design" skills, but I'm trying to make a simple image that should, in theory, be pretty easy to do. I don't know if this is the best place to ask this, or if there's some kind of "Photoshop/Paint.NET" thread, but here goes:

I'm making a simple background image for my phone, that I'll then put shortcuts on top of so clicking a certain area of the background opens that app. Here's part the background image:

As you can tell, the icons aren't perfectly centered in their little rectangles. Is there a way to create some sort of "snap to" line on each side, and top and bottom, of the icons that makes them perfectly centered?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

As you can tell, the icons aren't perfectly centered in their little rectangles. Is there a way to create some sort of "snap to" line on each side, and top and bottom, of the icons that makes them perfectly centered?
In Photoshop, you could use slices and 'snap to slices' to make exactly such a custom snapping grid.

Lacking that, StylePix is a graphic editor that treats stuff on different layers as objects and has alignment and equally spaced distribution tools.

vvvv Not really beaten, guides are probably better, I think you can have them snap to the center of objects.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 15, 2013

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

DrBouvenstein posted:

I don't have any kind of "graphic design" skills, but I'm trying to make a simple image that should, in theory, be pretty easy to do. I don't know if this is the best place to ask this, or if there's some kind of "Photoshop/Paint.NET" thread, but here goes:

I'm making a simple background image for my phone, that I'll then put shortcuts on top of so clicking a certain area of the background opens that app. Here's part the background image:

You can make guides by dragging from the rulers. Guides will snap to the vertical or horizontal center, and an object you're dragging or transforming (I'm assuming the icon is on a separate layer) will snap to the intersection of the guides. Actually, I think a dragged object can snap to center on its own, so the guides might not even be necessary.

Edit: beaten

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Thanks for the help. I should have said I was strictly using Paint.NET, and not made it an "either/or" with Photoshop.

I did some brief searching, and it seems Paint.NET lacks any kind of "snap to" or guides feature, so I'll try out that StylePix program.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

Thanks for the help. I should have said I was strictly using Paint.NET, and not made it an "either/or" with Photoshop.

I did some brief searching, and it seems Paint.NET lacks any kind of "snap to" or guides feature, so I'll try out that StylePix program.

Ghetto method in Paint.NET: Make a new layer and draw a vertical line. Select the other layers and nudge them until they are lined up along the line layer. When everything is good, delete the line layer.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Is there any way to print out over sized PDF documents on regular paper without tiling it(shrink down an over-sized PDF so it fits on a regular 8x11 piece of paper)?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Did you try the shrink oversized images option?

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
I'd like to start using Access to do what everyone in my organization uses Excel and Word to do.

An easy example is a language test. I'm going to create one table with the information of every person who would ever take the test. I would like another table that contains the test information such as the name of the person who took it, the date they took it, their score, as well as previous tests and scores they received.

Is there a way to automatically bump all of the old test dates and scores to the right as new scores are entered? I would like to avoid having to create new fields every time a test id given.

Also, if you're an Access pro, pm me because I know I'm going to have plenty of questions as I go about making this database.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DrBouvenstein posted:

Honestly if all your icons have that circle border on a coloured background, it might be best to make a template with just that, and use something like the Hue/Saturation controls to make variations on the background colour (and drag the midpoint in the Levels control if you need to make it lighter or darker without affecting the white). That way you just have to worry about placing the rest of your icon

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Axlerod posted:

Did you try the shrink oversized images option?

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that obvious option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rilae
Apr 10, 2007
Disinclined to acquiesce to your request
Hopefully I am posting this question in the right thread...

I'm looking for a simple, free tool for taking screenshots. Right now I use mostly Snipping Tool and occasionally Print Screen but I am looking for a something I can essentially assign to a hot key that will take the screenshot and then automatically save it to a designated folder in one fell swoop. Even better if I had the option to designate which part of the screen I wanted to save and then as soon as my selection was made the shot was automatically saved. I have tried out a couple of Firefox add-ons and browsed CNET but haven't quite been able to find what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?