Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Italy's Chicken posted:

Enterprise Print Management question: How do you deal with multiple sites (10+) and users who randomly work at each site? GPO works fine to add printers to profiles we specify with a windows groups, but then the end-user ends up with 10 different sites' printers in their single profile. I'd really like the users to only see printers that are physically at the site they are signed into at that moment in time. Is there anyway do add printers based on what IP the user's machine is getting or another way???

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2009/10/10/windows-7-windows-server-2008-r2-location-aware-printing.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ifan
Feb 21, 2006
The Nice Operator from Heaven
Take a look at Group Policy preferences, the filtering options are great. It lets you filter mapping based on IP Range and Site name, aswell as remove the setting if it no longer applies.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
But note that GPPs execute on logon, while location aware printing does when the laptop receives an IP address. If people carry their laptops around on standby or have to manually connect to the WLAN after logging in, GPPs won't work.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'm setting up a bare metal install of Windows Server 2008 R2 for the first time, and am having an oddity with the fiber channel. If I setup a redundant path Windows is seeing each path as individual drives, rather than seeing two paths to the same drive. Is there something special I have to do in Windows to make it see the redundancy, or did I somehow setup my fiber wrong?

I've never had this problem on my VMware servers, and setup the fiber channel connections the same way. It "just worked" whereas Windows is confusing me by having double the drives that it should.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Frozen-Solid posted:

I'm setting up a bare metal install of Windows Server 2008 R2 for the first time, and am having an oddity with the fiber channel. If I setup a redundant path Windows is seeing each path as individual drives, rather than seeing two paths to the same drive. Is there something special I have to do in Windows to make it see the redundancy, or did I somehow setup my fiber wrong?

I've never had this problem on my VMware servers, and setup the fiber channel connections the same way. It "just worked" whereas Windows is confusing me by having double the drives that it should.

You may need to install the DSM from your hardware provider for MPIO to work properly. Also verify the MPIO feature in windows is enabled. Hopefully I understood your question correctly.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee619734%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Ifan
Feb 21, 2006
The Nice Operator from Heaven

peak debt posted:

But note that GPPs execute on logon, while location aware printing does when the laptop receives an IP address. If people carry their laptops around on standby or have to manually connect to the WLAN after logging in, GPPs won't work.

I totally forgot about how that worked since it's a couple of years since i've actually had to plan and implement anything new. Just looked it up, they process during the regular refresh aswell, but the regular interval would be way to slow for that.
Not sure if it's possible natively, but what about something that refreshes policies everytime you change site / ip range. Won't be too hard to create a service that does this from scratch.

The solution you posted looks good, but it looks like the other printer connections will be there aswell. 10 printers will give you confused users.

Another alternative would be implementing one queue for all locations, and a card-reader attached to the machine to pull your print. The drawback of this is that the user must initiate the print-job on the machine, but this increases security as it will eliminate the problem of documents printed to the wrong location.

Ifan fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 11, 2013

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Italy's Chicken posted:

Enterprise Print Management question: How do you deal with multiple sites (10+) and users who randomly work at each site? GPO works fine to add printers to profiles we specify with a windows groups, but then the end-user ends up with 10 different sites' printers in their single profile. I'd really like the users to only see printers that are physically at the site they are signed into at that moment in time. Is there anyway do add printers based on what IP the user's machine is getting or another way???

Edit: Didn't realize this was answered a few times already.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

We have a follow print system. Bit of a pain to setup for non-windows users, but works a treat. You just print to a pool, then pull to the printer when you swipe your ID.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Bit off topic, is there a IRC channel for SA? It use to be ZIRC but I think zirc is now down?

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

lol internet. posted:

Bit off topic, is there a IRC channel for SA? It use to be ZIRC but I think zirc is now down?

#sa on irc.synirc.com

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

So I've got a problem with printers. Just about everyone has their own personal laser printer in their office. We've been setting them up on wireless so it's more convenient to install in these offices. Then we've got one group policy that pushes out all the printers on the print server to everyone. Now people are starting to complain that they don't like trying to find their own printer out of a list of 30 or more.

I don't see any easy way to assign specific printers to specific people or computers without making a poo poo ton of individual GPOs, and we don't have any sensible grouping like Dept X, Y, and Z or floors 1, 2, and 3. Am I missing something here? (Besides dragging all the printers out into the parking lot and having a big bonfire.)

It turns out I was missing something. When we tried having users add their own printers before we were also migrating between Samba and AD and the add printer wizard was having a hard time quickly and consistently finding the printers on the print server. Now that we're fully moved over to AD (and I found the right-click List in Directory option) it is working smoothly. I made the change this morning and sent out an email with instructions and the tickets are rolling in already. :toot:

e: Make sure you enable Computer Config / Policies / Admin Templates / Printers / Add Printer wizard - Network scan page (Managed network) and change Number of directory printers to something big enough to cover all your printers.

Cpt.Wacky fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 12, 2013

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I'm looking for an intra office IM/In-Out Board that's AD compatible, has user/supervisor level access capability, centrally managed, and integrates with Outlook.

That said, I don't think I want MS Lync. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think it has a native In-Out board that can be displayed at a kiosk. Also a Lync installation would be directed and managed by our Exchange group, who doesn't really like these kind of small-scale deployments that we'll be using this board for.

Suggestions?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
I've been working on our Win 7 MOE, we're planning on rolling it out to 1000+ XP machines using USMT 4.0 to back up and restore user profiles. On the first day of pilot testing we encountered a user who had over 200Gb of data in her local profile (99% of which was personal data sitting in a folder on her Desktop). I'd like to make the task sequence abort if the combined size of all the user profiles exceeds 20Gb - how would you guys recommend I go about this? I was thinking a script might do it but I'm a complete novice with scripting so I'd rather avoid it if there's another solution.

I'm looking into hard-link profile migration as an alternative, but that seems like a pretty big change to make 2 weeks before the Win 7 rollout is scheduled to begin.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

jassa posted:

I've been working on our Win 7 MOE, we're planning on rolling it out to 1000+ XP machines using USMT 4.0 to back up and restore user profiles. On the first day of pilot testing we encountered a user who had over 200Gb of data in her local profile (99% of which was personal data sitting in a folder on her Desktop). I'd like to make the task sequence abort if the combined size of all the user profiles exceeds 20Gb - how would you guys recommend I go about this? I was thinking a script might do it but I'm a complete novice with scripting so I'd rather avoid it if there's another solution.

I'm looking into hard-link profile migration as an alternative, but that seems like a pretty big change to make 2 weeks before the Win 7 rollout is scheduled to begin.

Two ways I can think of:
Make a task sequence step ahead of the state store that runs a script like
code:
$profilesize = (ls C:\Users\ -recurse | measure -property length -sum).Sum
if ($profilesize -gt 20000000000) { exit 1 } else { exit 0 }
That step will "fail" (due to error 1) when the profile is larger than 20GB and cancel the entire task sequence

Other way:
Make a compliance rule that runs a script like the above one. A day later you have a list of PCs whose profile is larger than 20GB then you can assign that list to helpdesk to go badger the users.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I searched the thread and didnt find any mention of this.

Anyone who uses Postini as a spam filter: What are your plans to migrate to either the Google Apps thing they are forcing us to, or an in-house or cloud based system?

GFI Mailmax, Untangle Pro, and Securence are on my "services to demo" list. Any others that I should be looking at?
Edit: Adding Forefront and MailCleaner to the list.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 14, 2013

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Spermy Smurf posted:

Anyone who uses Postini as a spam filter: What are your plans to migrate to either the Google Apps thing they are forcing us to, or an in-house or cloud based system?

GFI Mailmax, Untangle Pro, and Securence are on my "services to demo" list. Any others that I should be looking at?

We use it but we're moving over to O365 and that has Forefront built in and whatever else they use.

Good loving riddance. Postini has one of the worst interfaces I've ever used.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Spermy Smurf posted:

Edit: Adding Forefront and MailCleaner to the list.

After testing several solutions, we moved to modusGate. It's an on-premise box (we have it in a colo) but works really, really well for handling dozens of client domains/servers.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
We use SpamTitan for our in-house Exchange server, and it works pretty well. Lots of filtering options and control, and the user interface isn't too terrible, either.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
edit: nevermind.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 17, 2013

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

peak debt posted:

Two ways I can think of:
Make a task sequence step ahead of the state store that runs a script like
code:
$profilesize = (ls C:\Users\ -recurse | measure -property length -sum).Sum
if ($profilesize -gt 20000000000) { exit 1 } else { exit 0 }
That step will "fail" (due to error 1) when the profile is larger than 20GB and cancel the entire task sequence

Other way:
Make a compliance rule that runs a script like the above one. A day later you have a list of PCs whose profile is larger than 20GB then you can assign that list to helpdesk to go badger the users.

I've been meaning to thank you for your suggestions - I haven't had a chance to implement either one yet, but both are good ideas. I'll try to check back and let you know how it goes. :)

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
I work for a small school district and before I started all Windows updates/Java/Adobe/etc was updated and maintained manually. (as in literally going from machine to machine, logging in, opening a browser to go to java.com/get.adobe.com/blah and running the latest installer) I did get my boss to let me take over Deep Freeze so at least Windows update gets run on the weekend.(without WSUS, sigh) That doesn't help much with the teachers, since they're all local administrators on their computer, but at least the labs are getting some updates. I want to start doing some Java updates, via group policy, as it keeps causing problems with some reading and testing software for the kids, but I can't find much good info on what I need to change in the Java .msi file so it installs without needing any user interaction and stops checking for updates and so on.

Most of what I've found pertains to Java 6, plus different sites say to change AUTOUPDATECHECK, and others say to change JU or some combination of various things.

Is there any actual documentation from Oracle on this? Is there an up-to-date guide someplace that doesn't suck?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This is the site you want:
http://wpkg.org/

That's probably the best resource I've found for doing silent installs of Java. There's also lots of info about other programs as well.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is there a way to have IIS 6.0 / SMTP route to an Exchange server in the same domain? This is just a lab environment - I'm not sure there's a lot of real world application for that, but I am trying to do and understand everything I can while rebuilding my home lab. I'd like, for example, to point SQL's database mail at SMTP which will then send it over to EXCH, so that the user logged into box USER can read it. When I try now, it just gets stuck in queue on SMTP. It would work kinda like when you set up a bunch of IIS SMTP instances and make only one outward facing - in this situation, Exchange would be outward facing, I suppose.

Yes, I know database mail can send direct to EXCH, and it works in that config, but that's not the point. Strictly a learning and experimenting thing here.

Oh the things you start experimenting with on a conference call.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there a way to have IIS 6.0 / SMTP route to an Exchange server in the same domain? This is just a lab environment - I'm not sure there's a lot of real world application for that, but I am trying to do and understand everything I can while rebuilding my home lab. I'd like, for example, to point SQL's database mail at SMTP which will then send it over to EXCH, so that the user logged into box USER can read it. When I try now, it just gets stuck in queue on SMTP. It would work kinda like when you set up a bunch of IIS SMTP instances and make only one outward facing - in this situation, Exchange would be outward facing, I suppose.

Yes, I know database mail can send direct to EXCH, and it works in that config, but that's not the point. Strictly a learning and experimenting thing here.

Oh the things you start experimenting with on a conference call.

The SMTP instance needs to know how to route the mail that it receives. So you have to tell it where to send mail, usually by going into the settings and telling it that EXCH is its 'smarthost' (where it forwards mail to). So, SMTP essentially forwards your mail to EXCH. Otherwise, SMTP will try to send it itself, and probably fail unless you have DNS/firewall/etc all set up for it to send mail autonomously. You also have to make sure that you (your SQL server's IP) has permissions to relay mail through the SMTP server.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Does anyone have any recommended reading for Windows 7 OSD using MDT in conjunction with SCCM 2012? I just got finished with SCCM 2012 training and the section on OSD was basically "...ummmm this stuff is really really complicated. Here's some books you should read." My instructor suggested this and this but I'm hoping for something related to 2012.

Has anyone picked up this one?

edit: It looks like these are free to check out with Amazon Prime so I guess I can find out myself

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 23, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

madsushi posted:

The SMTP instance needs to know how to route the mail that it receives. So you have to tell it where to send mail, usually by going into the settings and telling it that EXCH is its 'smarthost' (where it forwards mail to). So, SMTP essentially forwards your mail to EXCH. Otherwise, SMTP will try to send it itself, and probably fail unless you have DNS/firewall/etc all set up for it to send mail autonomously. You also have to make sure that you (your SQL server's IP) has permissions to relay mail through the SMTP server.
Thanks for working it through - you put me on the right track, even if it didn't end up being anything you or I were looking at. You at least confirmed that I was doing the right thing.

Ended up being nothing more than a firewall issue, a doy doy. Opened up outbound 25 on SMTP and inbound 25 on EXCH and there it goes. Forest for the trees, sometimes - thought it might be having a mild nutty since I was trying to route within the same domain and SMTP was going "uh, aren't *I* your email server?", but nope, just the simple stuff this time.

e: So now I have database mail on dc1sql01 sending alerts to dc1smtp01 which is routing them over to dc1exch01 for no real reason, which is then read by the user on dc1win01. I have got to get the hell off this conference call. (Ultimately, the reason I'm doing this particular madness is to play with SQL, with alerting as part of that. the convoluted routing was simple a can I do this thing)

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 23, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
We just moved our first department to Active Directory and it was very smooth. Now we just have to get SCCM up and running and we can spend years figuring out how to silently deploy applications! Maybe if I have time figure out zerotouch deployment too and save about an hour every couple of months.

I do have a question, which patches are need for Windows XP when using Server 2008 R2? We have the GPO client side extensions but are not sure if there was another one.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Have any of you guys been able to easily and effectively disable hybrid sleep on a fleet of Win 7 x64 machines? When googling I can find heaps of discussions about disabling sleep and hibernate, but very little of any help regarding hybrid sleep. Ideally I want to disable it for the machine as part of the OSD task sequence, but I'd settle for a working user-based GPO or even a logon script at the moment.

Edit: To add a little more info, our PCs are currently set to the Balanced power plan with Sleep set to Never, and Hibernate set to Never. Users are locking their computers, going home, and coming in the next day to discover their computers in what appears to be Hybrid Sleep. If we then go in and manually turn off Hybrid Sleep mode in their power options, the machines remain powered on 24/7 like they should.

jassa fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 27, 2013

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
Our environment has a mix of users connecting to our Exchange 2003 server via Exchange, POP or ActiveSync. We'd like to disable the POP service. Is there an easy way to find out who in our corporate environment is connecting via POP?

The only way I can think of is to monitor and parse the logs? Is there an easier solution?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost

jassa posted:

Have any of you guys been able to easily and effectively disable hybrid sleep on a fleet of Win 7 x64 machines? When googling I can find heaps of discussions about disabling sleep and hibernate, but very little of any help regarding hybrid sleep. Ideally I want to disable it for the machine as part of the OSD task sequence, but I'd settle for a working user-based GPO or even a logon script at the moment.

Edit: To add a little more info, our PCs are currently set to the Balanced power plan with Sleep set to Never, and Hibernate set to Never. Users are locking their computers, going home, and coming in the next day to discover their computers in what appears to be Hybrid Sleep. If we then go in and manually turn off Hybrid Sleep mode in their power options, the machines remain powered on 24/7 like they should.

Power things are automated with powercfg.exe you can set everything there. But I don't think that's your problem, because if sleep is set to never happen, then hybrid sleep will neither. The only thing disabling hybrid sleep does is prevent PCs with lovely ACPI drivers from bluescreening when they're supposed to sleep.
But, what's so bad about PCs turning off over night? It'll save you quite a bit of money and it's nice for the environment too.

Yaos posted:

We just moved our first department to Active Directory and it was very smooth. Now we just have to get SCCM up and running and we can spend years figuring out how to silently deploy applications! Maybe if I have time figure out zerotouch deployment too and save about an hour every couple of months.

I do have a question, which patches are need for Windows XP when using Server 2008 R2? We have the GPO client side extensions but are not sure if there was another one.

Powershell definitely.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

peak debt posted:

Power things are automated with powercfg.exe you can set everything there. But I don't think that's your problem, because if sleep is set to never happen, then hybrid sleep will neither. The only thing disabling hybrid sleep does is prevent PCs with lovely ACPI drivers from bluescreening when they're supposed to sleep.
But, what's so bad about PCs turning off over night? It'll save you quite a bit of money and it's nice for the environment too.

Most of our users are good about shutting down their PCs at the end of the day, and we have a shutdown script which runs once at 7pm and again at 11pm to shut down any PCs still running. This system works well, and it's easy to set exceptions (both users and machines) so people can remote into their PCs from home/other offices as needed.

I think perhaps I need to go back to the beginning and test more - I was certain it couldn't be anything but hybrid sleep causing this, but I'm not so sure now. I'll revisit this after I get some sleep (working a 16 hour day isn't helping me with my troubleshooting and decision making!). Thanks anyway.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Has anyone successfully pushed out Skype via GPO?

I've found a good amount of guides but most of them are about 2-3 years old and they don't seem to reference the newer versions, links to MSI downloads are broken, and I'm weary about applying ADM files to AD whice seem very old.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You can get the MSI by downloading the "business" version.

As for everything else, I don't think it's possible. They had an enterprise admin guide (http://www.skype.com/go/administrators.guide), but it's woefully out of date. I think I was able to disable auto-updates on mine, but not much else.

And in addition, the last time I tried to push out a minor security update, it wouldn't actually update the Skype client. If there was no client installed and I ran the installer it worked, but if I ran the installer on top of the previous version, the version number didn't change (which I assume means it didn't actually get updated).

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

You can get the MSI by downloading the "business" version.

As for everything else, I don't think it's possible. They had an enterprise admin guide (http://www.skype.com/go/administrators.guide), but it's woefully out of date. I think I was able to disable auto-updates on mine, but not much else.

And in addition, the last time I tried to push out a minor security update, it wouldn't actually update the Skype client. If there was no client installed and I ran the installer it worked, but if I ran the installer on top of the previous version, the version number didn't change (which I assume means it didn't actually get updated).

Yay. this is going to be fun. Thanks for the info.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
Nap Ghost
The Skype administrators guide is up to date in the sense that they didn't really add any GPO administrability to Skype since version 4. You can disable autoupdates, file transfers and a handful of other things but nothing past that. If you want to do any further customization you'll have to edits Skype's xml configuration file which isn't too hard however. Powershell's "select-xml" command is pretty useful for that.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I've been downloading the MSI from http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi and I always uninstall before installing a new version. Other than that I just the registry settings to disable version checking and supernode.

zapateria
Feb 16, 2003
I don't know if this is the right thread, but I'll try:

I have a bunch of Windows Servers and I want to get an email alert whenever they reboot/shutdown.

I've set up Event Forwarding to one server and subscribe to the USER32 1074 event.

First problem:

Most of the events forwarded give me stuff like this:

code:
The description for Event ID 1074 from source USER32 cannot be found.
Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted.
You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.
On some events I get some information at the bottom of the event, others give no extra information. Is there an easy fix for this that does not involve installing hundreds of components on the event subscriber computer?

2. How do I set up an email alert on that event, that sends the event text in the email. Jesus you'd think that when they made the "attach task to event" and "send e-mail" they would maybe think of having an option to include event text?

I know there are workarounds like creating batch files that queries the last specific event of that type and copies it to a file and attaches and all that, but seriously is there no easier way? I'd even use a third party program..

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I'm looking into building a new file server. Part of it will use DFS to create a central location for all shares to be located. I've found that if I mount the namespace root to a drive letter it will report the size and free space of the share as whatever the DFS root drive has. Everything I've read indicates that this is the expected behaviour but that just seems goofy to me and will end up confusing the users.

Is there some way around this without making a fake DFS root volume that has nothing on it and look like it has "space"? Can I just make Windows not report the size of mapped network drives?

dotalchemy
Jul 16, 2012

Before they breed, male Mallards have bright green/blue heads. After breeding season, they molt and become brown all over, to make it easier to hide in the brush while nesting.

~SMcD

zapateria posted:

Monitoring stuff

http://www.zabbix.com/

Open Source and will literally monitor for anything that you want it to monitor for, including reboots and shutdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

incoherent fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 1, 2013