Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

blackguy32 posted:

He managed to get off pretty clean after Duke Nukem Forever, but after this game's release. I hold him much more responsible for that train wreck because I don't think it was a fluke.

Yeah. Both of these were troubled games though. This was supposed to be released by 2002-3 for PS2. Duke Nukem Forever was also long dev. I wonder if one of Gearbox's new Motto's will be to buy fledging titles, use existing assets without a lot of work, and just ship something knowing it will sell based on popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

blackguy32 posted:

He managed to get off pretty clean after Duke Nukem Forever, but after this game's release. I hold him much more responsible for that train wreck because I don't think it was a fluke.

The thing with DNF was that people were, quite reasonably, focused on blaming Broussard for DNF's problems. If Gearbox had made it amazing then they'd have gotten praise but it seemed unreasonable to expect Gearbox to such a fiasco.

Now though with a wholly Gearbox made game featuring so many similar problems, questions do need to start getting asked about how much of DNF's failings were Gearbox related.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

Everything is telling me to cancel my preorder but I just can't bring myself to do it. When is someone gonna make a really great Aliens game?
Please cancel your pre-order.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 11, 2013

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Cancel Your Pre-order (Seriously, do it)

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Thanks for saving me some money thread, and inspiring me to re-install AVP 2010 and the best aliens game ever AVP '99. Is there a steam group link somewhere where we can organize groups for the older games?

The only really lame thing about AVP 2010 was when they tried to pass off textured hallways as "jungle." Other than that I remember having a lot of fun with it, and I'm looking forward to firing it up again. AVP 99 is still insane fun, the only other game I can think of that makes you spray gunfire up a wall and across the cieling like it is natural selection. The marine campaign and co-op in that game still turns me into a twitchy spazz and I Love it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

BadLlama posted:

Aliens: Colonial Marines - Cancel Your Pre-order (Seriously, do it)

Nuke Your Preorder From Orbit: It's the Only Way to be Sure.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
Of course I preordered on steam so I have to submit a support ticket to cancel the preorder, but ticket submitted. Anyone wanna get done on some AVP 2010 later? I've never actually gotten to play the multiplayer. :smith:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

Of course I preordered on steam so I have to submit a support ticket to cancel the preorder, but ticket submitted. Anyone wanna get done on some AVP 2010 later? I've never actually gotten to play the multiplayer. :smith:

I woould be down for some MP later.

dishwasherwong
Sep 20, 2006

Best taken in small doses.
This thread has provided plenty of laughs for me this evening but holy poo poo I shouldn't be laughing because I spent actual money on this abomination and I am too late to cancel my pre-order!

What I don't understand is how this game blows so much rear end after so many missed release dates? A:CM release date was pushed back more than once and shambling Xenomorphs was the best they could come up with? What, did they need that extra development time to tweak the lame xeno's walk cycle?

I didn't spend big money on this but the game is staying in its packaging and is being shipped back on Saturday; to say I have buyer's remorse is an understatement and this is coming from a guy who liked Duke Nukem: Forever. You can put that down to having low expectations already but this level of buyer's remorse is a first for me.

Oh Gearbox remember when you were good? 14 years wasn't that long ago. :(

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

dishwasherwong posted:

Blue Shift and Opposing Force were pretty drat fun.

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.
The timing of all the canceled pre-order talk is great, if only because I just popped in to thank this thread and nearly everyone in it for convincing me to cancel mine last night. I came real close to keeping it for a good long while, as I love couch co-op games with the wife. But drat, the text and videos you guys posted here saved me from myself. Thanks, all.

Edit:

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Yet another reminder that the planned Obsidian Aliens RPG was cancelled, but this somehow survived :shepicide:

Goddamit. Even if this game was good, that would have been so very much better.

:(

Grimdaddy fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 11, 2013

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually liked Borderlands 2 and pretty much didn't get the backlash to it (other than outright buggy stuff, or the terrible writing).

dishwasherwong
Sep 20, 2006

Best taken in small doses.

BadLlama posted:

Blue Shift and Opposing Force were pretty drat fun.

Yep, Opposing Force was what I was referring to which came out in 1999. Didn't know they also made Blue Shift though which was a touch too short for my liking. Still better than this tripe I'm seeing.

Maybe after the initial shock has worn off I will watch a Let's Play just for laughs.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
I'm pretty sure when this was announced it was a squad based shooter similar to Republic Commando. Then it dropped off the face of the earth for a few years, only to resurface as the reanimated husk of a videogame we've been given. Why Randy, why! :negative:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yet another reminder that the planned Obsidian Aliens RPG was cancelled, but this somehow survived :shepicide:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Utnayan posted:

Yeah. Both of these were troubled games though. This was supposed to be released by 2002-3 for PS2. Duke Nukem Forever was also long dev. I wonder if one of Gearbox's new Motto's will be to buy fledging titles, use existing assets without a lot of work, and just ship something knowing it will sell based on popularity.

Yes, but they picked these titles up thinking they could fix them up and turn a profit on them. Then you have the factor of this game looking pretty drat bad compared to earlier stuff.

Im not going to comment on Borderlands because I felt it was bland, but people love it.

But their PC port of Nightfire was atrocious to the point that the console version of it was much better.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I actually liked Borderlands 2 and pretty much didn't get the backlash to it (other than outright buggy stuff, or the terrible writing).
As do I, but Borderlands has good shooting mechanics in my opinion. The shooting in this looks awkward and stiff, plus it's as linear as can be and still has poo poo set-pieces, animations, terrible AI, graphics, etc. Not trying to persuade you, just my take. If it still looks fun despite the latest videos and screens, then I'd go for it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

rizuhbull posted:

Not trying to persuade you, just my take. If it still looks fun despite the latest videos and screens, then I'd go for it.

Oh, no, don't worry, I think this looks like complete poo poo.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Supernorn posted:

I'm pretty sure when this was announced it was a squad based shooter similar to Republic Commando. Then it dropped off the face of the earth for a few years, only to resurface as the reanimated husk of a videogame we've been given. Why Randy, why! :negative:

Memories...

:allears:

Also sure let's play some more AVP 2010 tonight before we commit to our suicide pact once Colonial Marines launches. I'll throw up an announcement at some point in the usual place.

You might even have fun in the process...honest!

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

dishwasherwong posted:

This thread has provided plenty of laughs for me this evening but holy poo poo I shouldn't be laughing because I spent actual money on this abomination and I am too late to cancel my pre-order!

What I don't understand is how this game blows so much rear end after so many missed release dates? A:CM release date was pushed back more than once and shambling Xenomorphs was the best they could come up with? What, did they need that extra development time to tweak the lame xeno's walk cycle?

I didn't spend big money on this but the game is staying in its packaging and is being shipped back on Saturday; to say I have buyer's remorse is an understatement and this is coming from a guy who liked Duke Nukem: Forever. You can put that down to having low expectations already but this level of buyer's remorse is a first for me.

Usually when a game has been in development hell for as long as this game has (and had one foot in the grave at certain points) it means that the people working on it have changed hands multiple times and the whole game has been scrapped and reworked if not once, then multiple times. There's a good chance what people are playing is the product of the last two or so years and hasn't actually been in development for the entire six years. With that in mind I imagine it also hasn't been the same people working on it those six years either.

It's easy to look at it externally and say, "You had almost a decade to work on this!" in regards to polish but internally with a game that has this sort of development history it's usually a lot more chaotic than that. It'd be interesting to see a postmortem written up on this at some point, or maybe it would just be depressing.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 11, 2013

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
Anyone have any lock unlocking the game early and getting it working? I'm hoping to try it before I have to go to work tomorrow.

As for Randy Pitchford, i'm going to be trolling the poo poo out of his twitter for this. If there's one thing I've learned this year the more some prick smiles at you while he tries to sell you some poo poo the more likely he is to be a lying shitbag.

fake edit: This dialogue is so loving bad it's astounding http://youtu.be/miTP9yx9WXE?t=16m15s "poo poo in my breakfast," Whoah the 12 year olds will love that one!

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

ChickenHeart posted:

Memories...

Also sure let's play some more AVP 2010 tonight before we commit to our suicide pact once Colonial Marines launches. I'll throw up an announcement at some point in the usual place.

Thanks for the link, joined the group. Hopefully the 17gig :wtc: re-install download finishes before everyone drinks the cool-aid.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I've had the PC Collector's Edition pre-ordered since it was announced in June last year. Earlier today I cancelled my amazon.co.uk pre-order and instead pre-ordered it from shopto.net, because amazon apparently had some issues with not getting the collector's edition in stock on time, while shopto had it ready to ship (and with guaranteed next day delievery, for free, if I ordered before 5pm).

And now I'm learning all this poo poo about the game... but it's already dispatched and arriving tomorrow. I preordered the collector's edition (rather than the normal edition) because it comes with a nice little statue thing of a power loader fighting an alien, and exclusive DLC weapons for multiplayer, including a plasma rifle.

And anyone that's watched my Let's Play of Wolfenstein 2009 knows I loving love energy weapons.

I am rather dismayed to see that this game probably is probably going to be pretty crap... or at least the singleplayer will be. I've watched some multiplayer videos on youtube and the multiplayer does look genuinely fun. So here's hoping. Also all the reviews so far have been of the console versions, and one of the big negative points has been poor graphics; all the official preview videos of the game have been done on PC with an Xbox controller, I guess we now know why. Thankfully I'm getting it on PC so at least that shouldn't be a concern. Also I just saw someone briefly using the plasma rifle in a multiplayer game on youtube, it takes a second to charge and then it fires a powerful fast-moving energy bolt, the blast is pink/purple just like the plasma bolts in the future scenes of Terminator, which is nice.

MUFFlNS posted:

It's not a bug. There's a ~sewer level~ where there's all these weird shambling zombie xenomorphs that track you by sound because they can't see you (the developers obviously didn't notice that the xenomorphs in the movies didn't have eyes...) so you walk around slowly while these zombies get up and wander around randomly.

Wow, that's blatantly copied from Singularity. Sewer level full of blind mutants that you need to sneak through. Except Singularity doesn't have them being suicidal and explosive, they are just really nasty monsters that will tear you limb from limb or vomit acid on you. (And the stealth is optional, you can just fight them but it is rather tough.)

I absolutely love Singularity, but there's no denying it rather obviously "borrows" from other games. The blind mutant stealth section was one of the game's few completely unique bits so I find it quite amusing that it's now been ripped off.

Also, Singularity's multiplayer was human soldiers versus creatures, and when playing as a creature it was 3rd person because they are more focused on melee... same reason that Gearbox have given for Xenos playing in 3rd person. One of the classes of creature had the ability to see humans through walls, and other classes of creature could have that ability if you chose it as a perk. Another one of Singularity's classes (the "Phase Tick") was rather like a face hugger, and it could walk on walls and ceilings and it could leap long distances onto people. Again, the 3rd person perspective made this much easier than playing as a Xeno in the AvP games, so this is one area where I am glad that Gearbox is ripping them off, as Singularity's multiplayer was genuinely good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGkAvys-IAw

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

ChickenHeart posted:

Memories...

:allears:

Even the first images of the new one looked like they were keeping the Squad based element.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 12, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

your evil twin posted:

Singularity stuff regarding MP

Sounds like Singularity is a better Alien game than this one(Singularity is a good game everyone should play it).

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Is there any footage of the WiiU version? I don't think what was in that funny review video was real but I want to make sure.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Those screens are probably just staged in the engine with assets anyway. :smith:

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I do wonder if single player tactical squad based horror games simply don't work. Irrational Games tried to make Division 9, which was SWAT with Zombies but that never saw release either.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

I just remembered I already bought the loving DLC season pass so even if I resist opening the package when it arrives tomorrow and send it back, I'd still lose some money. (The season pass was £13 using a discount code at Green Man Gaming.)

gently caress it, I'm installing it and playing it tomorrow, just hoping the multiplayer is worth it. Also I'll play the singleplayer on the hardest difficulty setting in the hope that at least it does provide a bit of challenge, even if it is dumb.

When will I learn... I bought the Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel collector's edition. Aaargh. How can Gearbox pull this poo poo on me twice?

Still, then I remember Half-Life Opposing Force and immediately forgive them. I'm the biggest loving Half-Life 1 fan in the world. (Seriously I had a website with fan explanations of various Half-Life things and people accepted them as fact and they ended up on wikipedia and other wikis. There are whiteboards in the Black Mesa mod that have scientific text that I came up with!) And yet I thought Opposing Force was actually better in some regards. Half-Life and Opposing Force probably count as two of my top 5 favourite games. Don't take my love for granted, Gearbox. :(

Also I've no interest in WW2 stuff (Wolfenstien doesn't count, it's sci-fi that happens to be set during WW2), but was rather impressed by the Brothers in Arms games.

One thing though, earlier someone was commenting on the stupidty of there being a silencer unlock for the pulse rifle... I imagine that it is indeed useless in singleplayer, but all the weapons and unlocks are available in both singleplayer and multiplayer. And in multiplayer the the aliens "see" players through walls by hearing movement and gunfire, standing still causes you to fade from alien-vision, and I imagine that using a silencer would allow you to crouch in a corner and shoot and be invisible to aliens through walls, or at least show up at a shorter range.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 12, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Giant Bomb have a count down for a live Quick Look happening in 20 hours time. So thats something to look forward to.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

your evil twin posted:

When will I learn... I bought the Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel collector's edition. Aaargh. How can Gearbox pull this poo poo on me twice?

Probably because you were dumb enough to buy the DNF collector's edition.

Caecitas
Sep 23, 2012

Dare ye pick the wizard?
For any Euro-Goons, a couple of us will be kicking off some A:CM multiplayer in an hour. Anyone game to join us? We'll be using the same mumble from last nights AVP2010 hopefully. Be good to have more of last nights bunch on to join us, as well as a healthy batch of fresh meat.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Frankenstyle posted:

Yeah it was. Somewhere in the bucket of extras on the Bluray set they talk about the director specifically asking for the penis/vagina stomach design. I seem to recall it was somebody on the production crew aping Giger though, and not actually his design.

Conversation has moved on a bit but pretty sure this was Chris Cunningham, the videoclip director jerk who made the Aphex Twin 'Come To Daddy' and 'Windowlicker' videos, among other things. It's pretty fitting for him to make something like this, but yeah it definitely apes Giger hard.

Also if you are thinking of cancelling your pre-order: do it. Drop money on the SNES version of Alien 3 instead, it's harder, better-looking, more fun, etc etc etc.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
This game is so frickin' up and down. You get yourself in a groove where you think, 'Hey, this isn't too bad' then something retarded brings it plummeting down. Some fun, and not so fun bugs so far in my 4 hours with it so far:

- Bella and Reid are missing at the comm tower! Wait. No they aren't, they're right he- Oh the scripting bugged out and didn't remove their models.
- Woo! I found the flamethrower! Time to burn poo poo u- Wait. Where gently caress is it?
- Totally rocked that WY guy in the face and he fell over dead. Time to murder his buddies.. No wait he got back up and shot me in the back of the head. :argh: He's only wearing a soft cap and a balaclava on his sodding head!
- I found the legendary guns! They can't have attachments, use their own ammo and are terrible.
- The alien movement is buggy as gently caress when in tight quarters. They will literally appear in your face mid-animation.
- Shoot a lurker with the tactical shotgun's secondary electric fire. Do it. It's also the easiest way to kill the bloody things.

It's another of those games that seems like playtesting was consigned to 'Does it run? Fine. Ship that poo poo.' and that was it. Nobody played even a hour of this game. It looks like a late gen original xbox game in places because of the awful marine models.

Despite all the abuse I've heaped on it, it's still not the worst game I've played personally though. Rent it at best maybe. It's got some interesting background and lighting combinations if you like seeing that sort of thing without the BLOOM AND BLURRY CAMERA FILTERS EVERYWHERE that plagues most games nowadays.

Bit late for most, but yes. Drop your preorder, get a refund on your deposit or something. Don't pay full price. Even if you have to drop your deposit, that $60/£40 is better spent elsewhere.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

alf_pogs posted:

Also if you are thinking of cancelling your pre-order: do it. Drop money on the SNES version of Alien 3 instead, it's harder, better-looking, more fun, etc etc etc.

This man is wise. It also features some of the best music to ever be blurted out of the SNES soundchip.

Speaking of music, for those who've already played it, how's the soundtrack? From what I could glean from videos the sound-design in this game could very well be a silver lining in the potential shitstorm this game will be.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I do wonder if single player tactical squad based horror games simply don't work. Irrational Games tried to make Division 9, which was SWAT with Zombies but that never saw release either.

X-Com could be called horror in some ways. If they played that angle up just a little bit more it would fit perfectly. I'd definitely put the original in that category.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Some please post a screenshot of a pulse rifle with suppressor and reddot sight. I want to see how stupid this poo poo looks.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

ChickenHeart posted:

Speaking of music, for those who've already played it, how's the soundtrack? From what I could glean from videos the sound-design in this game could very well be a silver lining in the potential shitstorm this game will be.

It's got the recognizable stings, and the 'action' track from the movie, but from what I can tell it's basically cut/paste. NPC dialogue is just as buggy as everything else in the game in places. Won't play but it's in subtitles, plays twice, etc. There's a few chuckle-worthy lines though.

'You didn't tell me they explode!'
'They explode?' :stare:

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Darth Ronson posted:

There's only one piece of music that can accompany that gif. Allow me...

http://tinyurl.com/alienandson

I enjoy your concept, but feel this works far better.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

The random user reviews and comments online do seem to indicate that the sound effects are the one thing they completely nailed. There are lots of atmospheric sound effects, and the pulse rifle, motion tracker and alien creatures sound exactly like they should.

Also, Gearbox went on and on about how faithful they were making the levels to the movie, and how they got the guy who actually designed the sets to design the parts of the ship and the colony that weren't shown in the movie. So assuming that the PC version has alright graphics, that should be the other good point, it'll really look like the film. (And apparently even on the consoles there is impressive dynamic shadows, its just a shame that all the textures are blurry.) So it should look like Aliens and sound like Aliens but have gameplay and AI and animations that look like an amateur mod. I spent about two years playing practically nothing but Half-life 1 mods (and that was before I became a mod reviewer for Planet Half-Life) so I can live with that sort of stuff and can even enjoy such games, but it's not what you really expect in a full-priced game.

MrBims posted:

Probably because you were dumb enough to buy the DNF collector's edition.

Hmm, well I was a fan of old Duke Nukem 3D, I simply HAD to have a bust of Duke Nukem. In fact I still have it on my desk, as well as the Adam Jensen action figure that came with the collector's edition of Deus Ex Human Revolution, and the and Japanese general figure from Shogun 2.

No, what I regret is buying any version of DNF at all. I genuinely liked the Duke Burger level, I also thought the freeze ray was great, and I thought the Octobrains were pretty cool (with their ability to throw and reflect pipebobs and rockets). They were pretty much the only things in the game that weren't mediocre, bad or outright offensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Sounds like Singularity is a better Alien game than this one(Singularity is a good game everyone should play it).

Singularity was a fun game but I bought it at launch and there was loving nobody playing multiplayer at all. The game was completely DOA and I never once found a game.

• Locked thread