Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this is exactly what I was looking for, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moose12
Dec 8, 2007

shit YEAH
I just really want the new DLC to drop soon, or at least get some info on when its coming out/what it will have. I'm still amazed how bad some people are in this game at this point though. Seriously who leaves the search with unknown difficulty?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moose12 posted:

I just really want the new DLC to drop soon, or at least get some info on when its coming out/what it will have. I'm still amazed how bad some people are in this game at this point though. Seriously who leaves the search with unknown difficulty?

N7 Rank 1, level 1 soldier on gold a few days ago.

Hazard Glacier, collectors, it went as well as you can imagine, though that's also a bit of a failure with BioWare's system, you'd think there would be some poo poo in place to prevent that.

Midee
Jun 22, 2000

Moose12 posted:

The game still flubs and sticks you in the wrong difficulty from time to time. I had it happen to me twice this weekend.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
The default setting when you start up multiplayer for the very first time is any difficulty.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Am I the only one who completely sucks with the N7 Paladin on Gold? I drop all the time when I'm trying to close in (even with shield-boosting gear, Energy Drain, and plenty of successful Fury experience). And, the detonations don't seem to be killing as effectively as I thought they would.

This is the build I'm using. Am I doing something wrong?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Stroop There It Is posted:

Am I the only one who completely sucks with the N7 Paladin on Gold? I drop all the time when I'm trying to close in (even with shield-boosting gear, Energy Drain, and plenty of successful Fury experience). And, the detonations don't seem to be killing as effectively as I thought they would.

Go with the level 6 evolutions that boost combos for Incinerate and Snap Freeze.
Snap Freeze + Incinerate is pretty much the bread and butter of that class.

Also Snap Freeze works through walls / corners, and adjusting your playstyle for that could make a huge difference for your surviving.

Also, the class is a bit more inefficient on large open maps like Condor or Hydra, it shines a lot more on stuff like FBW or Glacier, so you might have just gotten unlucky with lovely maps so far.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'd suggest taking the damage evos on incinerate and drain. You're also missing one power damage on his N7 training.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Pirahna's kind of a weird choice; as a Paladin I wouldn't ever count on being that close to anything I wasn't wallhacking. Take your best pistol instead, and hang back a bit.

Burning Mustache posted:

Go with the level 6 evolutions that boost combos for Incinerate and Snap Freeze.

The level 6 combo evolution for Snap Freeze is redundant (it's technically always on whether or not you take that evolution, so taking it does nothing), and if I remember correctly the one for Incinerate doesn't work either.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Carrasco posted:

Pirahna's kind of a weird choice; as a Paladin I wouldn't ever count on being that close to anything

Snap freeze is your best power, though :confused:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Burning Mustache posted:

Snap Freeze + Incinerate is pretty much the bread and butter of that class.

Also Snap Freeze works through walls / corners, and adjusting your playstyle for that could make a huge difference for your surviving.

Also, the class is a bit more inefficient on large open maps like Condor or Hydra, it shines a lot more on stuff like FBW or Glacier, so you might have just gotten unlucky with lovely maps so far.

Aren't the combo evolutions bugged still?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Got the Falcon! I'm not sure how to use it though. Sometimes it feels like if I hit an enemy with consecutive hits, one or two just...won't do any damage.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Does Snap Freeze no longer trigger explosions off of Incinerate? It seemed to whiff every time today I did it.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
It does but using snap freeze to detonate stuff will center the explosion on your character and not the enemy for some reason.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

DerLeo posted:

Does Snap Freeze no longer trigger explosions off of Incinerate? It seemed to whiff every time today I did it.

It does (even though they're centered on you). My experience is that if someone has that tech burst priming ammo, then that'll override whatever primer is on the target, and you get a (hard to see) tech burst instead of your fire explosion. So if someone was shooting your targets with that, that would explain it.

Also lag.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Carrasco posted:

The level 6 combo evolution for Snap Freeze is redundant (it's technically always on whether or not you take that evolution, so taking it does nothing), and if I remember correctly the one for Incinerate doesn't work either.

moist turtleneck posted:

Aren't the combo evolutions bugged still?

They are? Oh well. :\

Red Crown posted:

Got the Falcon! I'm not sure how to use it though.

The answer is "not at all" :shepface:
But seriously, other than something to apply ammo powers with, it's a pretty useless gun.

DerLeo posted:

It does, but whatever explosion Snap Freeze detonates will emerge from the player character, rather than from the enemy you hit. Not a big deal if you're standing right in the middle of a group of enemies, but in general it's better to use it as a primer rather than a detonator for that reason.

E: Aaaand beaten.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
A phantom probably shouldn't be able to synch-kill you with the inch-long nub of her broken sword. I think what happened to me was a Phantom came around a corner and surprised me, hit me once, and then I spammed 3 shots from my Graal and broke her sword, and she was still "primed" to do a synch kill even though she was basically just poking me in the chest with the handle of her sword. I guess Krogan die suddenly if you poke them?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Red Crown posted:

Got the Falcon! I'm not sure how to use it though. Sometimes it feels like if I hit an enemy with consecutive hits, one or two just...won't do any damage.

The Falcon's damage isn't remarkable, but it's strength is that it's really good at staggering things.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Seemlar posted:

The Falcon's damage isn't remarkable, but it's strength is that it's really good at staggering things.

Meh. Found that out. Not so great. I got the Collector Assault Rifle and the Striker in my next pack, how are those?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Red Crown posted:

Meh. Found that out. Not so great. I got the Collector Assault Rifle and the Striker in my next pack, how are those?

The Striker is garbage.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Alteisen posted:

N7 Rank 1, level 1 soldier on gold a few days ago.

Now see I kinda get this. It's an easy mistake to make that bronze-platinum would correspond to SP's easy-insanity scaling. It's the sort of mistake I'd hope one make once, but considering he chose to start with soldier I'd be he's gonna do it a few more times.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Just now got the Particle Rifle. Now I just need the Harrier and Collector SMG and I'll have every weapon and character.

Is the Partical Rifle affected by the Magazine Upgrade?

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 12, 2013

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Semisponge posted:

The default setting when you start up multiplayer for the very first time is any difficulty.

I was pretty certain it was the highest difficulty, i.e., Platinum nowadays.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Schubalts posted:

Just now got the Particle Rifle. Now I just need the Harrier and Collector SMG and I'll have every weapon and character.

Is the Partical Rifle affected by the Magazine Upgrade?

Yes; use mag upgrade and piercing mod on it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

So, apparently the Battlefield 3 soldier isn't actually tied to Battlefield 3, but is just a random extremely boring looking character you can pull out of a pack?

Should I even bother to spec mine? He looks kinda boring.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It was exclusive to Battlefield 3 owners, but they added him to the general pool after a few months.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Relentless posted:

So, apparently the Battlefield 3 soldier isn't actually tied to Battlefield 3, but is just a random extremely boring looking character you can pull out of a pack?

Should I even bother to spec mine? He looks kinda boring.

The only use of Human Soldiers that I've found is to spam Concussive Shot, and it doesn't even have that.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Aphrodite posted:

The only use of Human Soldiers that I've found is to spam Concussive Shot, and it doesn't even have that.

It used to be better than the vanilla human soldier because it had carnage instead of concussive shot. They've since doubled the base damage of concussive shot.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
But Carnage can prime a fire explosion as well as act as a detonator. For some that could be worth the cool down hit.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

The Slithery D posted:

But Carnage can prime a fire explosion as well as act as a detonator. For some that could be worth the cool down hit.

Unfortunately, the projectile itself is also slow as molasses.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Red Crown posted:

The CAR is a pretty solid automatic AR. I look at it like Avenger -> Phaeston -> CAR. Basically a straight upgrade of the same "type" of AR.

e: keep in mind I didn't like it at all at rank I but at rank X it's good. so a Phaeston X will probably outdo a CAR I.

Striker .... not so much.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
CAR X is wonderful on the Batarian Sentinel, just net and headshot everything in sight, it has no kickback at all either.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Just got the Acolyte and the AT-12. The Acolyte looks good but I'm not sure what differentiates the AT-12 from everything else.

e: Holy crap Phoenix Adept is FUN

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 12, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've ruined this game for myself. I got my first class with Lift Grenades.

Nothing will ever be as good.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Aphrodite posted:

I've ruined this game for myself. I got my first class with Lift Grenades.

Nothing will ever be as good.

That must mean you've not gotten a class with a flamethrower yet.

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Red Crown posted:

Just got the Acolyte and the AT-12. The Acolyte looks good but I'm not sure what differentiates the AT-12 from everything else.

e: Holy crap Phoenix Adept is FUN

Pretty sure the Raider is like the classic double barrel shotgun, pull the trigger twice and fire off both shots super fast

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I haven't really used it in MP yet so idk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wampus42 posted:

That must mean you've not gotten a class with a flamethrower yet.

I can't casually toss a flamethrower over a wall and get 5 kills.

Maybe some day.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
That just means we need a class with Reave, Flamethrower, and Lift Grenades.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I was using some terrible weapons to finish up the weapons challenges for them. Then a prompt came up after I had finished the 14000 needed. Apparently there are challenges other than weapon challenges for weapons that require more use of said weapon? :psyduck:

Also, I know about the weaknesses for the praetorian (mass of heads), scion (shoot hump, then head), ravager (shoot sacs, then the 'head'), atlas (shoulder pad thingies)... Are these right? Do Banshees and Brutes have weak points? I know you can shoot the metal plates off Brutes to reveal their guts, but shooting that doesn't seem to do anymore damage than the head or whatever. Am I missing any other non-standard enemies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Doc Dee posted:

Pretty sure the Raider is like the classic double barrel shotgun, pull the trigger twice and fire off both shots super fast

Basically, yes. Put a choke and either shredder or HV barrel on it. It does more damage with both shots combined than the Claymore does with 1, but you lose out against armor because of the reduction so always take something which mitigates armor. Get up close and put both barrels into everything. You never fire just one.

Pairs very well with batarian soldier. Shoot -> blades -> shoot -> repeat forever

• Locked thread