Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

Maybe you'd like to share because most of those wholesales offer unlimited at a reduced throughput which kind of ruins running tv, VoIP and Internet through that one line. And you're still subject to any tomfoolery the wholesalers' supplier (ie....wait for it.....bell or rogers!) wants to pull.

Besides, never mind any of that. Telling people to use a wholesaler for home Internet as a solution to our duopoly is a little absurd. By saying that, you're more or less going along with what the telcos have fed us as reasons against no caps.

Seriously though, if you know a wholesaler that offers great speeds with unlimited caps this entire thread's population would love to know.

Well I'm in a household with multiple heavy users on TekSavvy, and since getting a decent router, we've never had an issue with simultaneous heavy loads (streaming, video games, skype, downloading), so I don't really think there's any issue with throughput. And I've never noticed throttling with them unlike with Rogers or Bell. Actually, we get speeds higher than what we pay for, most of the time.

And I'm not sure how you interpreted my comment as telling people to use a wholesaler for home Internet as a solution to a duopoly? But it sure makes more sense to go to a wholesaler than to stick with the duopoly and complain about the caps as though they're unavoidable.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I only took it that way because I had Parachute's post in my head as the topic starter, which was a Bell deal. Sorry for misinterpreting.

We still get to complain about caps with Teksavvy though. We only have them because of the duopoly. We can't escape it here..

We're going to make the move to tsi cable sometime soon. We're on their dsl line which actually can't give us enough speed to stream Netflix and make a phone call at the same time. It's bullshit. Bell rated our line (in a brand new building) at 3mbit under Teksavvy dsl. I have no doubt that if we were to move to an actual bell account they'd hook us up with 15mbit in a flash. I just worry that once we can actually become heavy users again we'll be running close to our caps all the time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm on TSI cable in Guelph and it's been really wonky over the last few days. Had problems streaming video, tested and found out I was getting about 3/1 (I pay for 28/1). Today it's 10/1, which is better but still nowhere near what it should be.

I wonder if they're oversubscribed here, or if someone at Rogers tripped over something at the POI or something. :sigh:

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Zigmidge posted:

I only took it that way because I had Parachute's post in my head as the topic starter, which was a Bell deal. Sorry for misinterpreting.

We still get to complain about caps with Teksavvy though. We only have them because of the duopoly. We can't escape it here..

We're going to make the move to tsi cable sometime soon. We're on their dsl line which actually can't give us enough speed to stream Netflix and make a phone call at the same time. It's bullshit. Bell rated our line (in a brand new building) at 3mbit under Teksavvy dsl. I have no doubt that if we were to move to an actual bell account they'd hook us up with 15mbit in a flash. I just worry that once we can actually become heavy users again we'll be running close to our caps all the time.

I was just saying, if you're with Bell with multiple services (including TV) and don't want to/can't change, you can get unlimited bandwidth for relatively cheap--in my case, at no cost to me besides telling my landlord about it.

If I had other options I'd be looking at them. :)

Crumbletron fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 3, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Question about changing to Teksavvy - I have an old Docsis 2.0 modem from when I was on shaw (Motorola SB5100) , is that not usable for the Teksavvy 25Mbps plan? It isn't on the pulldown menu. Is it Docsis 3.0 only? According to the modem's specs it can do up to 38Mbps down so I am just wondering what's up with that. Would be nice if I could use the old modem.

Got to phone up Telus and see what they are gonna ding me for cancelling a year early :(

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

priznat posted:

Question about changing to Teksavvy - I have an old Docsis 2.0 modem from when I was on shaw (Motorola SB5100) , is that not usable for the Teksavvy 25Mbps plan? It isn't on the pulldown menu. Is it Docsis 3.0 only? According to the modem's specs it can do up to 38Mbps down so I am just wondering what's up with that. Would be nice if I could use the old modem.

Got to phone up Telus and see what they are gonna ding me for cancelling a year early :(

I had that particular modem when I did the switch as well, and they said that the particular modem wasn't compatible with their service regardless. Besides, you'll likely want a DOCSIS 3 when higher speeds come around anyways.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

I had that particular modem when I did the switch as well, and they said that the particular modem wasn't compatible with their service regardless. Besides, you'll likely want a DOCSIS 3 when higher speeds come around anyways.

Which is supposed to happen later this year sometime. The POIs that aren't currently in use will be the first to upgrade in ~March, and then others will be changing over to the new system over the next few months by order of most congested>least.

Or, that's what I read on DSLReports, at least.

So, they should be slowly transitioning to higher speeds over the next few months.

TSI Marc posted:

at a glance this is what everybody can expect (I'm still confirming this)

once we move to Aggregated-TPIA existing users who are on these speeds will automatically get converted as below:

18 goes to 25
28 goes to 35
32 goes to 45
75 goes to 150

So, even if you don't need DOCSIS 3 now, you'll probably be wanting or needing it very soon.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 3, 2013

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Am I right in assuming that the speed increase is downlink only? Going from 28 to 35 down is nice but still being at 1mbps up is getting ridiculous. I understand that this is probably a Rogers/etc. limitation, but in the age of dropbox and cloud storage how much longer can the ISPs continue to starve us of upload speed?

I'm not really asking for symmetrical access here, hell even just an increase to 2 mbps up would be nice.

edit: looking into it more it looks like the bump from 28->35 would also bump upload speeds from 1->3! Hoping this is true

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 3, 2013

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Which is supposed to happen later this year sometime. The POIs that aren't currently in use will be the first to upgrade in ~March, and then others will be changing over to the new system over the next few months by order of most congested>least.

Or, that's what I read on DSLReports, at least.

So, they should be slowly transitioning to higher speeds over the next few months.

So, even if you don't need DOCSIS 3 now, you'll probably be wanting or needing it very soon.

That sounds like it applies to the service that is carried over Roger's last mile. Do you know if it applies to Shaw as well?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Been reading the teksavvy section on DSL reports and see lots of complaints with people bitching about slow speed. Seems mostly cable, but still.. making me second guess.

How is there service in general? Can anyone here vouch for them?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

Been reading the teksavvy section on DSL reports and see lots of complaints with people bitching about slow speed. Seems mostly cable, but still.. making me second guess.

How is there service in general? Can anyone here vouch for them?

I've been on TSI for years now with no complaints about their customer service.

For DSL specifically, I used TSI DSL for a year or two before cable was available and had no complaints except the requirement for a landline/dryloop to use it (which is a complaint about DSL as a technology, not TSI specifically). Even did IPv6 without problems once I installed non-poo poo firmware on my router. The speed wasn't as good as cable for the price, but at the time they didn't offer cable where I was, and I certainly never had any problems with it.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Most people don't go online unless there's an issue.

I, and the half dozen friends I have also using TekSavvy have had no major issues once the service has been set up. 2 of my friends had issues getting their service set up, one due to Bell's incompetence, and one that could be blamed on the friend, Bell, or TekSavvy depending on who you believe. I've personally had TekSavvy installed in my own home or offices 5 times now, and never had an issue with the installation or the service.

That being said, my anecdotes do not together make data, so I have no idea what the Teksavvy success rate is. (Because I've never ventured into "post your speed" threads or whatever, since I've never had a reason to do so)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I've had their cable in Vancouver since September, and it's been fantastic. Not a single outage and often much faster than the equivalent Shaw plan which I was on previously. Very noticeably faster where torrents are concerned.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys :)

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
I've run both their Cable and DSL for years. No issues aside from Rogers being generally incompetent and Teksavvy's support wait times were pretty awful 2 years ago. Much better than any other provider so far.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, take their online availibility tool with a grain of salt. Even though I have Telus 25MB service:

Teksavvy Support posted:

Thank you for your interest, Regretfully after qualifying your location we have determined that High speed internet services with TekSavvy are unavailable. We hope that as we continue to grow and advance that we can welcome you to our high speed internet services in the future.

Now I guess all I can do it bitch and whine at Telus for lovely and underhanded customer service.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

That sounds like it applies to the service that is carried over Roger's last mile. Do you know if it applies to Shaw as well?

Hm, so it does. I have no idea!

I don't know why I assumed it was a ruling that encompassed all telecom/wholesale deals... I guess because it doesn't make much sense to be doing the rulings on individual cases, that would take forever for no benefit, really.

So I assume that while it's CNOC vs Rogers it would become precedent? Hopefully? Who knows, with the CRTC.

MeestarK
Aug 12, 2004
Its cold outside
Moving from Thunder Bay where I currently have 100Mbps from Shaw to either Mississauga or maybe Brampton. Primary uses are Usenet and light to moderate gaming. Whats my best options in these areas? Does exact neighbourhood matter?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I've been voicing my displeasure with Telus over Twitter about their new "more for less pricing scheme" and this is what they're saying:

"...In no way is this punishing. It will be used to better manage our network performance Usage caps are an industry standard. TELUS’ caps are as well the most generous in the industry, twice those of many other ISPs. We do understand where you are coming from, but this will ensure a better infrastructure for all."

Yes, the industry of 2 companies. Thanks CRTC.

I started CC'ing one of those CTV news "problem solvers" when Telus got super defensive. Join in on the fun and message @TELUSsupport and @Telus about their wonderful prices. Be sure to CC your local "problem solver" news personality for added fun.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

MeestarK posted:

Moving from Thunder Bay where I currently have 100Mbps from Shaw to either Mississauga or maybe Brampton. Primary uses are Usenet and light to moderate gaming. Whats my best options in these areas? Does exact neighbourhood matter?

I'm sorry for the loss of your amazing internet pipe, welcome to Rogers, Bell, or TSI, at least in Mississauga. No clue whats going on in Brampton.

I've had TSI's cable packages at two places, and aside from some wonky network problems (mostly rogers fault) I didn't have major issues with their services after I made sure I had a non poo poo router.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

I've been voicing my displeasure with Telus over Twitter about their new "more for less pricing scheme" and this is what they're saying:

"...In no way is this punishing. It will be used to better manage our network performance Usage caps are an industry standard. TELUS’ caps are as well the most generous in the industry, twice those of many other ISPs. We do understand where you are coming from, but this will ensure a better infrastructure for all."

Yes, the industry of 2 companies. Thanks CRTC.

I started CC'ing one of those CTV news "problem solvers" when Telus got super defensive. Join in on the fun and message @TELUSsupport and @Telus about their wonderful prices. Be sure to CC your local "problem solver" news personality for added fun.

Good idea. Really. I never use twitter, but if it gets a response from them, it's worth it.

Edit: Teksavvy Martin PM'd me in the DSL forums and confirmed that I *AM* able to get 25MB DSL service with them!

God I hope so. I want to tell Telus to stuff it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 5, 2013

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

I don't suppose there's anywhere else we can complain that will make any difference? I don't think the BBB really cares about poo poo like this. Telus keeps sending messages saying we should complain to the CRTC if we're unhappy but I wonder what other options we have to stop being passive Canadians and let them know we're sick of this poo poo.

Maybe a riot :v:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

We riot over stupid poo poo like hockey, might as well riot over the Internet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just cancelled my Telus DSL service and signed up for Teksavvy.

The Telus rep was very sympathetic and did what he could to try and keep me, but I told him that Telus management/decision makers have shown nothing but contempt to actually roll back service and charge a higher price for it and I had no choice but to vote with my wallet. I've been an internet customer of theirs since dial up in the early 90s (and phone since AGT inheritance days).

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Tagra posted:

I don't suppose there's anywhere else we can complain that will make any difference? I don't think the BBB really cares about poo poo like this. Telus keeps sending messages saying we should complain to the CRTC if we're unhappy but I wonder what other options we have to stop being passive Canadians and let them know we're sick of this poo poo.

Maybe a riot :v:

Hopefully we can shame them into at least letting us keep our old caps.

ComputerNinja
Aug 8, 2003
What?
Pork Pro

slidebite posted:

So, word on the street is telus IS changing the caps, but the icing on the cake is now they're jacking up rates to boot

http://telus.com/content/help/customer-messages/article.jsp?categoryId=internet&articleId=internet-rate-change

It doesn't even say what the price increase is, just to reference your February bill with the download/print option, and mine only goes to January. How retarded.

Also, I noticed that I was still being billed for all my TV packages even though I cancelled them when I cancelled my phone service last month. The rep said there was no record of me cancelling those. I asked if all the phone calls are recorded, and he said they were and put me on hold for a few minutes. When he came back, they reversed the charges, and removed a $5/mo rental for an extra tv box going forward for as long as I have Optik TV. So that was decent I guess.

Septx
Jan 5, 2011

justlikedunkirk posted:

Hey guys, Bell is offering unlimited internet to everyone* for $10/month!**

*New residential customers only
**$10/month if subscribed to phone/internet/TV, price goes up to $30/month otherwise

This is progress right?

It's a start. For now I hope this is enough to force the other ISPs into providing unlimited bandwidth.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

slidebite posted:

I just cancelled my Telus DSL service and signed up for Teksavvy.

The Telus rep was very sympathetic and did what he could to try and keep me, but I told him that Telus management/decision makers have shown nothing but contempt to actually roll back service and charge a higher price for it and I had no choice but to vote with my wallet. I've been an internet customer of theirs since dial up in the early 90s (and phone since AGT inheritance days).

Do you happen to know if Telus lets you keep your telus.net e-mail address after leaving them? Considering switching to Teksavvy but I stupidly used a telus.net e-mail for a bunch of things. Still keeping their home phone service though if that changes anything.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
$5 a month I believe to keep your email.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The rep did say I would lose the email which I haven't used since about 1998 so I didn't care or inquire about keeping it. You may want to start transferring to a different email though if you think you might leave them eventually. :)

I kept my landline with them too.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's really not worth paying $5 a month to keep your email address, just change your email on the services that you use and then dump it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Telus keeps sending me messages saying if I am unhappy with them I should complain to the CRTC, so I took a wander through the website.

quote:

A retail customer is the end user who purchases access to the Internet. The CRTC does not regulate how the retail customer is billed, the rates, quality of service issues, or business practices of Internet service providers as they relate to retail customers. This is because there is enough competition in the market and retail customers have a choice and can shop around for service packages.

Maybe we need a new definition of "choice" :sigh:

They're pretty much literally saying "We are not currently screwing you over as badly as those other guys are... So we're going to raise our prices to be in line with that!"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Has anyone heard if Telus will still charge the cancel fee even with raising the rates? I got busy/lazy this week and still have not called in :(

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

priznat posted:

Has anyone heard if Telus will still charge the cancel fee even with raising the rates? I got busy/lazy this week and still have not called in :(

Why wouldn't they? (yes)

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Do any of you guys have experience with Start internet?

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

The Dark One posted:

Do any of you guys have experience with Start internet?

I've been using them since October for cable internet. It's been great.

E: I live in a Cogeco service area.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
That's good to hear. My new roommate uses Netflix, and we've already hit 75% of our Rogers data cap. :sweatdrop:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Start's caps are definitely more generous than Rogers. :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, tonight at midnight I officially sign off of Telus as my ISP for the first time since about 1995. They said I can expect the DSL signal to go off almost exactly at midnight, but potentially early in the AM. Either way, it should be gone by the time I get up in the morning.

I already received my Teksavvy Zyxel Router and I get a good signal broadcast from the basement, so here's to hoping Teksavvy can get the DSL hooked up relatively early tomorrow... with the Telus tech of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Is there a fundamental difference between DSL and cable? I'm thinking of switching to teksaavy after realizing this Telus poo poo. Their cable's listed at 2.5 up and DSL at 2.0 up but I've never really understood the difference between the two. It seems via their website that both are available to me where I live.

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 12, 2013