Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I hope you motherfuckers are still playing AVP2010 up until midnight before ACM comes out because this download is taking ages and I don't want it to be for naught :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Ok so I unlocked with a VPN. I will report back. So far, I am upgrading my video drivers because as soon as I left a cut scene everything went black :)

5 maps in TDM and Extermination, 2 maps in Survivor, and 2 different maps in another game mode I didn't look at too hard.

Graphics options for PC allow for FXAA, higher Resolution, texture quality, and FoV options in the UI.

Edit: Still a black screen. I see a light. Woot. Everything else is dark. Going to try a beta driver now. This is off to a great start!

Edit 2: Beta drivers worked. Everything is back to normal.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 12, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So what weapons should I upgrade in Aliens Infestation? Should I upgrade my pistol? Or should I leave it unupgraded? Does it ever stop sucking?

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

So what weapons should I upgrade in Aliens Infestation? Should I upgrade my pistol? Or should I leave it unupgraded? Does it ever stop sucking?

Flamethrower and Pistol.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Y'all are making me thinking of reinstalling and playing some AVP Classic all night.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
AvP99 Alien Tag or Last Man Standing

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Ok confirming: The campaign is horrid. Aliens are as we feared. Most of the time they just get stuck walking around and are no challenge what so ever. One went back and forth, forward and back, and I watched wondering what it was doing. If I didn't know any better, this was a new Michael Jackson Moonwalker Alien. About the only way this entire single player experience can redeem itself is with a friend, in coop, extremely loving hammered and laughing our asses off that we bought this game.

Hopefully multiplayer will save the day here. I cannot test that on this VPN I am on. It's pretty laggy so will wait for tomorrow.

Music, sounds, all what you would expect.

I swear to God they used existing Art Assets from the PS2 version. Some of the textures are SO bad. They look like green / red blobs when they are supposed to be various electronic equipment. The voice acting is horrible. This isn't a spoiler I do not think but this is what one lady said over a comm channel... In the most monotone voice you could ever imagine. "Yeah. This thing attached to my face. I'm ok now though. It was weird." :effort:

I am so glad I only paid $37.99 for this. I wouldn't recommend this at $9.99 so far. Again, reinstating I hope the multiplayer is good.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news
Saw this on an IGN link posted a few pages back, and thought that even though he's talking about what used to be the new Brothers in Arms title, it's pretty relevant to Aliens: Colonial Marines.

Randy Pitchford posted:

I don’t want to get in a spot. I want to avoid a situation where, five years from now it’s ‘wow, this game’s been in development for five years.’ That’s why I don’t announce things until we know what they are. It’s not fair to hold us accountable for a process that’s designed to get to a quality end that’s good for the customer.

Isn't that your job description?

(Also, apparently so many people got pissed that the new BiA was gonna be a ripoff of Inglorious Basterds that Gearbox took it and split it off into a new IP, leaving BiA in the typical WW2 genre.)

Overall, agreeing with this:

BadLlama posted:

Randy Pitchford posted:

“It’s a big, ambitious game,” Pitchford explained. “Some of the other studios involved, we decided that these guys are awesome. They did a lot of really valuable work. We’re not contractually obligated to put anybody’s credits there, but we value talent and respect talent. We wanted to make sure that those logos were there and that work was represented. In big efforts, that’s not an uncommon thing. You don’t usually see it up front.”

Looks like they already got some scapegoats lined up.

Namaste fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 12, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Christ, I want my $14 back. :smith: What happened to the people in the early part of the thread saying this game looked good? Where are they now?

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
So I just watched as one Alien decided to turn it's back to me and sit there staring at a wall doing nothing. Another decided it would be a good idea to go under a grate... the only problem, the tail was clipping right through it. I also had an Alien, after I shot it, hang in mid-air by itself just... suspended in the air upside down.

Holy gently caress. They should be issuing loving refunds.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

Sire Oblivion posted:

Christ, I want my $14 back. :smith: What happened to the people in the early part of the thread saying this game looked good? Where are they now?

My guess? :suicide:

(Don't worry, I too had high hopes back when it looked like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qLuOVI1Fic)

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
So I posted that screenshot of the horribly textured console/computer from a few pages back on the Gearbox forums and some moderator told me that if you're playing the game "properly" you shouldn't be sticking your face up against textures to see how high or low res they are.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

pixelbaron posted:

So I posted that screenshot of the horribly textured console/computer from a few pages back on the Gearbox forums and some moderator told me that if you're playing the game "properly" you shouldn't be sticking your face up against textures to see how high or low res they are.

They honestly looked imported in from an old PS2 version. And If I had to guess, they really are imported in from 2002.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

pixelbaron posted:

This has always been the typical rebuttal for stuff like this and the fact remains; if a texture's bad enough to be noticed and pull the player out of the game then they done hosed up.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

This has always been the typical rebuttal for stuff like this and the fact remains; if a texture's bad enough to be noticed and pull the player out of the game then they done hosed up.

The fact also remains that their response to "your game looks lovely" is "well don't look at it!".

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
I can't believe a film that pretty much inspired generations of shooters has spawned so many crappy ones in its own name. How hard is it to make an Aliens shooter that doesn't suck? They got drat close with Aliens Online, but that was it (not counting the AvP stuff).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

the black husserl posted:

The fact also remains that their response to "your game looks lovely" is "well don't look at it!".

Yeah, it's a dumb thing to say in your defence, but still, it crops up all the same and it gains traction everytime.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
They should have just concentrated on multiplayer and called it Aliens: Online.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm still waiting for midnight :(

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Just played a couple of Escape matches with pubs. I had fun. No idea how you use the "fatalities" as a xeno though. I want to eat faces with my second mouth.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Not entirely related, but since I'm not going to spend my $70 in my Steam Wallet on this game, which of the following (That I already own on 360) should I pick up to play on my new PC?:

X-Com: Enemy Unknown
COD: Black Ops 2
Farcry 3

Keep in mind, I already own them on 360. I'm just wanting to know if any of them are better for PC? I'm leaning toward X-Com.

I could probably also throw $20 toward the AVP2010 and we could all sob and tell each other it will be okay in some goon matches.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LLJKSiLk posted:

Not entirely related, but since I'm not going to spend my $70 in my Steam Wallet on this game, which of the following (That I already own on 360) should I pick up to play on my new PC?:

X-Com: Enemy Unknown
COD: Black Ops 2
Farcry 3

Keep in mind, I already own them on 360. I'm just wanting to know if any of them are better for PC? I'm leaning toward X-Com.

I could probably also throw $20 toward the AVP2010 and we could all sob and tell each other it will be okay in some goon matches.

Is there a reason why you're just wanting one of those three games? Also it's bad timing since you just missed the awesome Winter Sale and next major one isn't until summer.

:( I was one of those people. It's basically Brink all over again, god damnit.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 12, 2013

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I don't know whether to die laughing or sob uncontrollably at yet another bad Aliens game, this one by Gearbox. Jesus.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It's been out here in euroland since midnight and it's so so so bad holy poo poo. lovely graphics, bad gunplay, the aliens swarm and run around right up until the point where they start coming up to attack you and then they drop down onto whatever walkway you're on and kinda walk towards you and get shot.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Xaris posted:

Is there a reason why you're just wanting one of those three games? Also it's bad timing since you just missed the awesome Winter Sale and next major one isn't until summer.

I've just got $70.00 in my Steam Wallet and already own most everything else from the Winter Sale. My only other option is to pre-order something, but the two games I wanted (Company of Heroes 2, Aliens) are in limbo or absolute horseshit. I pretty much own everything in the top 30 best sellers.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LLJKSiLk posted:

I've just got $70.00 in my Steam Wallet and already own most everything else from the Winter Sale. My only other option is to pre-order something, but the two games I wanted (Company of Heroes 2, Aliens) are in limbo or absolute horseshit. I pretty much own everything in the top 30 best sellers.

Gotcha. Well from stalking your Steam profile, you seem to be missing: Sleeping Dogs, Hotline Miami, Mark of the Ninja, Don't Starve, Dark Souls, Alpha Protocol, Arkham City, Arkham Asylum, Max Payne 3, Bastion, Binary Domain, Anno 2070, Spec Ops: The Line and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Just to name a few.

I'll stop derailing the gently caress Gearbox train now but if you want to talk about it more we could bring it to the Steam thread or PM me.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 12, 2013

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Xaris posted:

Gotcha. Well from stalking your Steam profile, you seem to be missing: Sleeping Dogs, Hotline Miami, Mark of the Ninja, Don't Starve, Dark Souls, Alpha Protocol, Arkham City, Max Payne 3, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Just to name a few. I'll stop derailing the gently caress Gearbox train now.

Every single one of those except for:
Hotline Miami
Mark of the Ninja

I already have on 360 as well. I've also got Assassin's Creed III, Skyrim, though I don't have the newest DLC for Skyrim.

Pretty much decided on XCOM + AVP2010(which I had on 360 at one point as well) I think. I've already got too much time invested in Farcry 3 on the 360, and I think I'll enjoy the interface of XCOM better on PC. I either own or have owned most games on either 360, PS3, or PC that made any top 20 list at any point. Too much disposable income in-between marriages.

EDIT: Yeah, I'll jump to the Steam thread. Continue the gently caress Gearbox guys!

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
Guys, i'm actually having fun with it against all odds. I am playing in ultimate badass mode and I did crank my brightness down far lower than I would even normally but drat it, I can't say i'm not having fun, the game actually does look good on pc, mind you not EXTREMELY good but I really like how beefy the weapon models are, like it could've came out in 2008 or something definitely, but the lighting and fog effects in some areas are really well done and if you have your brightness calibrated til you can BARELY see the USCM logo on the calibration screen and I mean just barely, like whatever you think is good, crank it down 3 notches down from that, then you won't see the aliens coming from a mile away and they'll actually be obscured by the lighting and steam and smoke and what not, so they'll actually get close enough to you to where their acid blood fucks you up and dying is an actual possibility.

Anyway, point is, if you bought the game and you want some enjoyment out of it, crank the brightness down very low and play on the hardest difficulty. I have my settings maxed and the lighting can look pretty drat good at times, at the very least the sound, music and environment give me the Aliens feel.

Unlocking with a VPN does work, if you get some executable error, delete your appcache folder in steam.

LLJKSiLK, if you really liked X-Com get that because there are some awesome gamechanging mods for it.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Xaris posted:

:( I was one of those people. It's basically Brink all over again, god damnit.

The difference is there is no goon hype for this like there was for Brink. Brink was a sobering lesson for me to never ever pre-order a game based on internet hype again.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
When is the review embargo up? I really look forward to reading some reviews of this.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

gallilee posted:

When is the review embargo up? I really look forward to reading some reviews of this.

Same, I can't imagine them being anything less than scathing, but we'll see.

LordXenu
Jan 11, 2012

WHERE IS THE TRIGGER???

That is beautiful and you're a wonderful person.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
It's unlocked for US folks now, God help us all.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Supernorn posted:

Even the first images of the new one looked like they were keeping the Squad based element.

Yeah, it seems like they ditched the squad elements and trimmed the game down to be much more linear, since I can't see four people bunched up in narrow corridors and sealing doors etc working very well unless there's multiple routes to get from A to B.

Interestingly though, they still left all the open/close door mechanics and sealing/cutting mechanics in the game. It does absolutely nothing for the gameplay experience at all and merely slows down progress in a frustrating manner, so I don't know why they didn't chop that as well, unless it's still there to mask loading times (which is likely).

It does seem like whoever was in charge of development gave up on making the game what was originally planned though, and simply thought "gently caress it, make it like COD" and called it a day. My impressions from the initial reveal was that this was designed to be a much slower-paced four player tactical co-op game, and that setting up defenses (via sealing doors, placing sentries etc) was what the game was going to revolve around, rather than the dumb corridor shooter that we ended up getting.

What's really telling though, is that they're incompetent enough to have even screwed up something as simple as COD with aliens.

Neo Rasa posted:

Interestingly, the Alien 3 games (both the terrible Acclaim version that's on everything as well as the excellent SNES iteration by Probe) actually do take this into account. The SNES version is sort of a proto-Super Metroid, though instead of interesting movement abilities your upgrades are all EVEN MORE POWERFUL GUNS. It has multiple areas you can choose to permanently seal off for the rest of the game. Repairing and sealing off stuff to cut off and gain access to different areas basically IS the game even though there's a lot of action too. You have to weigh not having to fight any creatures spawned there with losing access to whatever supplies are there.

This sounds awesome. I'm gonna try and find a decent Let's Play of this since I recall back when the game came out it looked fantastic, but I never got to check it out and eventually forgot that it existed.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is AVP worth grabbing on the 360 then since this is poo poo? I just want some fun survival time honestly.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I have to admit I was still anticipating Aliens: Colonial Marines in Arms and not Aliens: Homefront, I don't remember when they dropped the squad based elements in the publicity lead up.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is AVP worth grabbing on the 360 then since this is poo poo? I just want some fun survival time honestly.

If you haven't played it yet, the original Dead Space is the crown jewel of the venn diagram of atmospheric sci-fi and survival horror, and neither this game nor any foreseeable addition to the Aliens/AVP franchise will come anywhere closer to the Alien movies than it.

lazken
May 4, 2011

Do not feed the monkey
God drat I wish I'd checked this thread earlier and then cancelled my pre-order on steam. Between it initially not actually having the executable included (a restart of steam fixed this) and the game just being... bad.
So is AVP 2010's single player recommended? I need an aliens fix that isn't awful after all this waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

lazken posted:

God drat I wish I'd checked this thread earlier and then cancelled my pre-order on steam. Between it initially not actually having the executable included (a restart of steam fixed this) and the game just being... bad.
So is AVP 2010's single player recommended? I need an aliens fix that isn't awful after all this waiting.

The Marine campaign is alright, if short, and has some genuinely cool moments. The Predator campaign is much the same way. Most people ted to dislike the Alien campaign for whatever reason - I never had a problem with it, but I might be biased because I love playing as the Alien. All in all, it's worth 15 bucks, but I would recommend giving MP a shot as well - when it isn't loaded to the brim with Predators it's really fun.

A few of my friends went ahead and picked up A:CM anyway, just to see if they could derive some enjoyment from it. One of them got knocked down about 15 minutes in and was stuck in a weird, lovely 3rd person view, a la the deathcam, even after being picked up, and later killing himself and respawning. Smooth job there, Gearbox.

• Locked thread