Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
The disadvantage there is that you can only plug two into a circuit without worrying about blowing out the power if you've got a 750 watt lamp in there, so you may want to bring lower wattages with you as well (in general avoid plugging more than 20 amps of lighting into a circuit, 15 if you're in an old house or something; you can conservatively estimate 100 watts = 1 amp).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

You can't compete with the sun without gigantageous lights. I was trying to shoot smoke coming out of the barrels of guns once. I had two griffs and I made a tent the best I could. There were many holes and also snow on the ground. If I remember correctly, I had a mickey mole and 1 tota beneath the end of the muzzle to try to light the smoke. The lights were not more than 2 feet away from the lights and they did absolutely nothing. It was an overall lovely situation for what I was trying to achieve. If I had the ability to wait for night I would have, but the dude with me had to leave so we just ended up eating pizza instead. I meant to schedule a weekend in the summer to do it at night, but never got around to it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is it really that impossible though? I've assisted on photo shoots where we just used a single 1100ws Ellinchrom and that was more than enough to get a good skin exposure at ISO 160. Granted, the light source was less than a meter from the subject, but if you're just looking to get a closeup or maybe a medium shot, you can make do with ~1000 watts.

The shot you were going for seems like it would've benefitted from having a lot more contrast in the composition - something like a dark background with your mole as a high powered rim (with a gel, maybe 1/2 CTB and positioned from the back of the gun and pointing down towards the barrel?) might've worked to highlight the smoke. It's hard for me to visualize the shot you were going for though.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 7, 2012

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

1st AD posted:

Is it really that impossible though? I've assisted on photo shoots where we just used a single 1100ws Ellinchrom and that was more than enough to get a good skin exposure at ISO 160. Granted, the light source was less than a meter from the subject, but if you're just looking to get a closeup or maybe a medium shot, you can make do with ~1000 watts.

The shot you were going for seems like it would've benefitted from having a lot more contrast in the composition - something like a dark background with your mole as a high powered rim (with a gel, maybe 1/2 CTB and positioned from the back of the gun and pointing down towards the barrel?) might've worked to highlight the smoke. It's hard for me to visualize the shot you were going for though.

Shooting the smoke for compositing purposes. Pure black background, the smoke is lighter so you just screen it in After Effects.

And impossible is not the correct word. Not enough most of the time is probably a better fit.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
Is there any difference at all between 1/48 and 1/50?

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
1/48 corresponds with 24 frames per second, 1/50 with PAL25/50. Canon DSLR:s won't let you use 1/48 with PAL25 and vice versa. I think if you were to do it you'd have the shutter speed out of sync with the frame rate and probably would end up getting screen tearing or some other artifacts.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Most DSLR's just don't have the ability to do shutter speeds beyond what's normally available while shooting photos. It doesn't make sense since the video shutter is pretty much electronic and there's no reason for that limitation.

Even crappy prosumer cameras have the ability to dial in specific shutter speeds using synchro scan.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Tell me what you guys think of this wedding video. First wedding I've done. I graded it in filmconvert instead of looks or colorista and so far I really like it. Most of the looks presets are just too much unless you are intentionally going for a stylized look.

https://vimeo.com/55979723

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What are some good rigs out there for DSLRs?

I've been looking and it's hard to find what I find to be reliable reviews.

RedRockMicro and Zacuto are the first that come to mind, but I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with some of the cheaper ones like Edelkrone or Gini Rigs.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I have an Indisystem Air Support, it's a bit of an odd duck as it has a friction follow focus (this works great on modern AF lenses but is real hard to use with manual lenses with a heavier barrel), but it has this little thumb control which is super handy. The matte box is garbage and I just leave it off. All in all the build quality is good but the design leaves a lot to be desired. On the upside, it is way way WAY lighter than the equivalent Letus or RedRockMicro rigs I've used, and will even fit into an average sized camera backpack when it's all broken down.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I've heard good things about Gini Rigs and I have the cheapo amazon red rock ripoff rig, but I closeted it when I got this Manfrotto monopod. It is just awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-561...nfrotto+monopod

Nushergrudger
Dec 18, 2009
So I've been looking into getting a DSLR with decent video recording capabilities but I'm a little bit torn on what to grab. I haven't ventured into the realm of video yet so I'm not completely sure what I'm doing here. I was thinking about the Nikon D7000 or D5200 since I've only got Nikon lenses but I'm not opposed to other brands. Also, something around $1000.

Any opinions/preferences?

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Nushergrudger posted:

So I've been looking into getting a DSLR with decent video recording capabilities but I'm a little bit torn on what to grab. I haven't ventured into the realm of video yet so I'm not completely sure what I'm doing here. I was thinking about the Nikon D7000 or D5200 since I've only got Nikon lenses but I'm not opposed to other brands. Also, something around $1000.

Any opinions/preferences?

The only good nikon dslrs for video are the newest ones like the d800. If are you looking to spend that much on a camera body and only care about video I would get a t4i or a 7D and a bunch of nikon to EF adapters for your lenses. Or perhaps a gh2 or gh3 with an m43 adapter? Not sure if that will work.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

A GH3 is a very good buy and probably the best video DSLR in its price range, but it's a bit out of nush's $1k budget.

Nushergrudger
Dec 18, 2009
After some research I decided it was between the 7D or the GH3. I might just have to dish out a little extra for that GH3. Definitely seems like a good deal. Thanks for the suggestions.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

My friend just received his Blackmagic Camera. I got to tag along for a shoot. Form factor sucks. Control layout sucks. I didn't read the manual yet but we had trouble setting the aperture manually on a 35 f2 IS and finally said gently caress it and switched to a Nikon with an adapter. Okay now table all that poo poo.

Footage is AMAZING. We took shots that were shot at ISO1600 and about 3 stops underexposed - you can push the DNG's up a lot and there isn't the kind of chroma noise you see when shooting DSLR's. There's a noise pattern that is very film grain-like, think of C300 footage that's shot past ISO 6400. You can apply noise reduction if you want, but honestly when you export at 1080p it looks really nice. You can also sharpen the poo poo out of the footage if that's your jam, but the camera is already pretty drat sharp.

There were some shots I was loving around with in Resolve - just popped the levels up and applied Rec 709, and it ends up looking better than any DSLR I've shot with. Of course I prefer shooting in log mode since the skin tones start off from a more neutral place and it's easier for me to grade.

Also I can't really see any rolling shutter. Stuff was all handheld and even though the crop factor made shooting a tad difficult, I didn't see any jello.

I really wish they would release the Micro 4/3 dumb mount version of this. It'd be much easier to get set up with those SLR Magic primes than it is spending a bajillion dollars on ultrawide zooms.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 30, 2013

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I should be getting my Blackmagic as well in a few weeks. I stuck with the EF version because I didn't want to wait any more time for the MFT and also since I have no PL or MFT glass.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
You have to make a lot of compromises but the footage coming out of the camera is jaw dropping: https://vimeo.com/58045466

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
BevisNuke, your work has consistantly impressed me in this thread. I have an idea for a project in your area - would you be interested in discussing the possibility of collaborating on a short documentary about this situation? http://www.orlandosentinel.com/fl-boca-squatting-in-style-20130122,0,1530279.story

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Nushergrudger posted:

After some research I decided it was between the 7D or the GH3. I might just have to dish out a little extra for that GH3. Definitely seems like a good deal. Thanks for the suggestions.

The 7D is basically a more expensive version of the Canon T2i/T3i/T4i. It is more ruggedized, so that might be an issue depending on how careful you are with your gear, but it's not worth the increase in price IMHO. It also uses the oldest tier of image processors (2xDigic III). If your main concern is image quality, get one of the Txi's. You'll save money, have more features, and better Magic Lantern custom firmware.

1st AD posted:

My friend just received his Blackmagic Camera. I got to tag along for a shoot.

Any power issues? I read that some folks who are using battery packs are having a lot of trouble. I'm eager for this generation of RAW video cameras, but I need them to have better designs before I jump in.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Any power issues? I read that some folks who are using battery packs are having a lot of trouble. I'm eager for this generation of RAW video cameras, but I need them to have better designs before I jump in.

It was a very short shoot and it just literally came in before anything but the lens shipped. We didn't have any power solutions on hand. I imagine that even if I had some kind 12v power attached, mounting everything would be a pain.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My BMCC order just went to warehouse so its being shipped now. Now I just have to scrape up 3k by tomorrow.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

MixMasterMalaria posted:

BevisNuke, your work has consistantly impressed me in this thread. I have an idea for a project in your area - would you be interested in discussing the possibility of collaborating on a short documentary about this situation? http://www.orlandosentinel.com/fl-boca-squatting-in-style-20130122,0,1530279.story

Sure absolutely. I saw a story about this on the today show. Email me. BTW the big sur video isn't mine!

BeavisNuke fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 2, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
http://cinescopophilia.com/order-a-kineraw-mini-camera-today-for-around-3-grand-delivered-late-march/

~$3k for 12bit RAW S35 sensor. I'm shocked it will supposedly be shipping next month.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I put a lot more faith into a Chinese company delivering the goods than Blackmagic - it took almost a year from the BMC announcement until the first units shipped.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Blackmagic shipped the first units 6 months after NAB then shipments got delayed 3 more months by the sensor supplier issues, Currently, production is ongoing and Adorama is fulfilling January 2013 orders and B&H was on June 2012 orders. From preorder to delivery, mine took 9 months.

Also never ever use OCZ SSDs for anything critical. I've heard of tons of OCZ failures and just had one fail on me this weekend.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I have decided to get a 50mm f/1.4 for my 7D. Are there some other lenses I should get for mainly recording snowboarding (park/rails mostly)?

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

EvilElmo posted:

I have decided to get a 50mm f/1.4 for my 7D. Are there some other lenses I should get for mainly recording snowboarding (park/rails mostly)?

If you're going to be locked down on a tripod near your rails/other areas of interest, primes are ideal and I'd recommend a good 35mm (Sigma's f/1.4 is the hottest thing at the moment) and only go wider from there. These are going to really limit your ability to get dynamic with camera movement though, but will be the best thing for locked-down use. A good telephoto lens at some point down the road will help you get creative with placing the camera for more interesting comp.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
I just got my BMCC. Hoping to go down to miami this weekend and do a self-indulgent montage video.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

What's up fellow BMCC owner :hfive: I've been shooting sports video tests so far (BJJ) but am going to start shooting more stuff soon. Holy crap is this thing heavy.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
Yeah it is like holding a dead baby. I think I need to buy a beefier tripod. What battery solution are you using?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Switronix PB70-BMCC. It's a simple proprietary solution. If I were going to use it in a production environment, I think I would have gone for an Anton Bauer or other standard solution.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Has anyone used one of the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower (they are all the exact same lens, just different distrubuter names) Cine lenses? From what I have read, they just took their regular primes and declicked the aperture ring so now it turns smoothly with out stopping for every stop. Also, the focus markings are on the side of the lens and not on top to make life a bit easier for the focus puller and the focus ring and aperture ring are geared for a follow focus. Plus, the lens us measured in T-stops. They come in Canon and Nikon mounts and seem perfect for those who primarily use DSLRs for video. Just curious if anyone has any experience with them and can recommend them or not.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Has anyone used one of the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower (they are all the exact same lens, just different distrubuter names) Cine lenses? From what I have read, they just took their regular primes and declicked the aperture ring so now it turns smoothly with out stopping for every stop. Also, the focus markings are on the side of the lens and not on top to make life a bit easier for the focus puller and the focus ring and aperture ring are geared for a follow focus. Plus, the lens us measured in T-stops. They come in Canon and Nikon mounts and seem perfect for those who primarily use DSLRs for video. Just curious if anyone has any experience with them and can recommend them or not.

Wanting to know this too as we're a step away from pulling the trigger on a set of these for work.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
From reading forums and no first hand testing, people say those lenses are kinda soft, especially wide open. I remember reading some test where the t1.5 was more like 1.8 also.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
I asked a similar question in the point&shoot thread, but looks like I'll have to spend more, so I'm asking here.

Basically, I'm looking for something that can act as an upgrade to a webcam, for 24/7 streaming (for a week straight). This is for a charity gaming marathon (Awesome Games Done Quick if anyone is familiar), so everything we buy is out of our own pocket. That said, we would like to upgrade, especially since our new location will likely be darker (and thus need better low light performance). For comparison, right now we are using the Logitech C920.

We need something that is able to do 720p HD, can handle 24/7 streaming without exploding in a fireball, looks better than a webcam, and doesn't require a mortgage. And based on my extensive Googling, I'm beginning to get the feeling that I am asking for something that doesn't exist. Either way, you folks are the most knowledgeable types I have contact with, so I am hoping there might be some sort of DSLR solution for this.

We can handle USB or HDMI.

Thanks for any input you all can provide, even if it's something that's not a DSLR.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
How about uh, just use your current webcam and put a soft light on your face. Or get an iphone video streaming app or something?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do you have even a rough budget you could give us? Cause something like this JVC would be great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYPOXf1zFuQ

since you plug into the wall and it's designed for live streaming, but it's $1000. Doesn't seem terrible to me but maybe it is for you.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

powderific posted:

Do you have even a rough budget you could give us? Cause something like this JVC would be great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYPOXf1zFuQ

since you plug into the wall and it's designed for live streaming, but it's $1000. Doesn't seem terrible to me but maybe it is for you.

I would say $1000 would be the absolute most we could spend, and even then I'd have trouble justifying it. I don't have a hard budget, since it's just a matter of what we can scrap together, but I figured we'd be in the $500-800 range. I haven't seen these types of cameras though, I'll take a look and see if there's one like that more in our price range. Thanks!

BeavisNuke: I didn't mention this in this thread's post (forgot to), but it's not the only reason we're shying away. We had horrendous DPC latency problems with the webcam as well (probably driver issues). It's managed, and we could probably manage again, but I'd rather not. And yes, we'll probably have a lighting solution regardless of what we use, but this is an all-volunteer, less-than-amateur team, so I can't expect the lighting to be perfect all the time as things move around.

Cool Matty fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Cool Matty posted:

I would say $1000 would be the absolute most we could spend, and even then I'd have trouble justifying it. I don't have a hard budget, since it's just a matter of what we can scrap together, but I figured we'd be in the $500-800 range. I haven't seen these types of cameras though, I'll take a look and see if there's one like that more in our price range. Thanks!

If that doesn't work out, you could try a GoPro3 Black. They output HDMI, though how well they will operate over a long period of time is questionable. They also don't zoom if that's a big deal. But if you just want a wide angle shot of a room of nerds, it should work well enough. It even does 2.7K resolution @ 30fps, but obviously HDMI would only pass through 1080p.

• Locked thread