Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotgreenpeas
Apr 12, 2008

Crasscrab posted:

:stonk: Holy poo poo this is horrifying.

So is this supposed to be a satire or is this some kind of product that this guy is actually trying to market?

It's an art installation.

http://www.pixedge.com/lastmoment

No, but it was inspired by this real robot from Japan: PARO Therapeutic Robot

hotgreenpeas fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Was that video supposed to make me terrified of dying alone? Because mission accomplished. I'm going out to make some more friends.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Alan Caruba's reaction to the fact that we're selling tanks to Saudi Arabia is the most hilariously amazing thing ever.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/08/conservative-warns-the-daily-show-u-s-will-invade-entire-continent-of-africa-due-to-muslims/

EDIT: Also this:

“Their religion requires them to wage jihad,” [Caruba] explained. “If you are a Muslim, you better be out there jihading away.”

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

ShadowCatboy posted:

Alan Caruba's reaction to the fact that we're selling tanks to Saudi Arabia is the most hilariously amazing thing ever.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/08/conservative-warns-the-daily-show-u-s-will-invade-entire-continent-of-africa-due-to-muslims/

EDIT: Also this:

“Their religion requires them to wage jihad,” [Caruba] explained. “If you are a Muslim, you better be out there jihading away.”

The real question is who the gently caress are we going to wage a sweeping tank war against anyways?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SilentD posted:

The real question is who the gently caress are we going to wage a sweeping tank war against anyways?

According to Caruba, "The entire continent of Africa."

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

SilentD posted:

China because COMMUNISTS :argh:

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Gen. Ripper posted:

China because COMMUNISTS :argh:

I'm pretty sure we'll deal with that like we do Air Forces, cruise missile everything and anything and then launch a door kick operation. Review the wreckage a day later.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

SilentD posted:

I'm pretty sure we'll deal with that like we do Air Forces, cruise missile everything and anything and then launch a door kick operation. Review the wreckage a day later.

It'd suck to be China, having to kick all those doors.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

katlington posted:

It'd suck to be China, having to kick all those doors.

That's not what a door kick is.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SilentD posted:

That's not what a door kick is.

Good catch.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Why the pretty ones gotta be so crazy?

It's a part of the Just World they've constructed for themselves. Being attractive is just God's way of showing a person that they are favored and special. Same thing with wealth - being pretty and/or rich doesn't just happen through chance.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I'm posting this here because while it's getting a decent amount of coverage in foreign media, I haven't found any US sources really showing this around yet - save for online independants like the young turks.

Also - I take this guy as an antidote to the racist ignorant hate-filled rhetoric of anti-immigration right wingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2utsjsWOWUA

Also it's drat refreshing to hear this guy calling anti-immigration fuckheads out on their inherent hypocrisy. Arizona is batshit insane when it comes to immigration in general - to the point that native Americans like the guy in this video have been made victims of harassment, being mistaken for hispanics. (Seeing as the Native Americans are the only true non-illegals, that's a massive insult.) After all, this isn't really about protecting the borders - otherwise they'd be trying to build a wall between us and Canadians. This is about racists who hate dark-skinned people, and want to keep 'them' away and subjugate them as much as possible.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 10, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

SilentD posted:

The Saudis are pumping up their ground forces as a way to counterbalance Iran.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Dick "Mudslide all over my face" Morris is at it again, this time with some totally original and not at all racist, ignorant, and unoriginal made-up ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmyRwkW4MHU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Spacedad posted:

Dick "Mudslide all over my face" Morris is at it again, this time with some totally original and not at all racist, ignorant, and unoriginal made-up ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmyRwkW4MHU

I'm so glad Dick Morris has finally reached the point where even his being associated with the Clintons and willing to spout republican nonsense can't get him a job outside of 'crazy person on YouTube'

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Question: Why are you guys indulging SilentD in his stupidity? Please ignore him.

If what Caruba says is true then the overwhelming population of Muslims is very lazy. A shameful Muslims, not jihading away.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Dick Morris posted:

[After Barry Goldwater ran against the Civil Rights Act] Blacks began to feel all Republicans were racist.

:qq: Poor Republicans.

This pairs nicely with my other favorite conservative whine: "What do you mean [insert racial minority here] needs policies to repair their generational disenfranchisement? You're treating people differently based on race! You're the real racist!" :byodood:

Sad really: they can't comprehend hegemony, but their entire worldview depends upon it.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

SilentD posted:

Ask Tonyjoe Arpaio. :-P

E: Brain thing

SnakePlissken fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 11, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Is he Joe Arpaio's son or something? What'd he do?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Saudis are pumping up their ground forces as a way to counterbalance Iran.
I'd be shocked to find out that the Saudis could field more than a brigade of competent anythings. The poo poo they buy from us is mostly A) to look good on paper and B) part of quid pro quo political favors to keep defense manufacturing here churning.

This is awesome. I love that he's pushing a stroller at the time too.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

I'd be shocked to find out that the Saudis could field more than a brigade of competent anythings. The poo poo they buy from us is mostly A) to look good on paper and B) part of quid pro quo political favors to keep defense manufacturing here churning.

It's these things. They really are a paper tiger that only buys poo poo because they have nothing better to spend their money on.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

ReindeerF posted:

This is awesome. I love that he's pushing a stroller at the time too.

Yeah. Nationalism in America always has the Achilles heel of the fact that pretty much no one here is an actual native except for the actual natives. (Not that nativism justifies nationalism.)

The anti-immigration nationalism here always will always have an air of 'methinks they doth protest too much.' This being a nation of immigrants and colonists and all. The pernicious tendency of anti-immigrant nationalists to over-compensate wrapping themselves in the flag and scream 'KEEP OUT' as part of their usual jingoist routine is one of those regressive aspects of Americana that we really need to strip out of the collective psyche here. Like surgically removing a jingoistic tumor from healthy immigrant-embracing humanitarian tissue.

Personally, I think that much of the white supremacist bigotry in the US seems to stem from white people's intense fear that the minorities they abused are going to come back and do the same atrocity and subjugation they perpetuated on them. This also extends to stuff like 2nd Amendment gun-obsession - a lot of racists maintaining guns out of fear, believing they need to protect themselves against the nonwhites that will be coming for them.

Basically this:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

A couple gems from today's "poo poo I heard on talk radio" round-up.

Herman Cain referred to the literal ownership of human beings as property and modern government regulation of business as "old slavery" and "new slavery." Respectively.

Lars Larson thinks that expanding our nuclear weapons program is analogous to putting more life vests on a boat.

Dennis Miller called water boarding a "fraternity prank."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

So has Miller switched up his routine since going crazy? I can't imagine his whole "I don't want to go off on a rant here, but Obama's State of the Union was so self-aggrandizing it made the Res Gestae Divi Augusti look like a zen koan about annihilation of the self" schtick playing with the Freep crowd.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Seoinin posted:

So has Miller switched up his routine since going crazy? I can't imagine his whole "I don't want to go off on a rant here, but Obama's State of the Union was so self-aggrandizing it made the Res Gestae Divi Augusti look like a zen koan about annihilation of the self" schtick playing with the Freep crowd.

Nope, he's still running with the same bit and his show is really boring and unremarkable. Most of the stations that even bother to air the show do it late in the evening.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Yeah he still throws out a four dollar word here and there but he mostly sticks to casual racism and "asking questions."

It is indeed boring as poo poo. He's pretty much the milquetoastiest milquetoast conservative radio host. I only caught that bit during a commercial break for Herman Cain, who is amazing.

Another part of Cain's rant about slavery today was, "We managed to end slavery 32 (I remember this number specifically) years after declaring independence but we've had a corporate tax for over 100 years. When will the American people realize the moral wrongness of taxation?"

I don't think you could make a funnier parody if you tried.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 12, 2013

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah he still throws out a four dollar word here and there but he mostly sticks to casual racism and "asking questions."

It is indeed boring as poo poo. He's pretty much the milquetoastiest milquetoast conservative radio host. I only caught that bit during a commercial break for Herman Cain, who is amazing.

Another part of Cain's rant about slavery today was, "We managed to end slavery 32 (I remember this number specifically) years after declaring independence but we've had a corporate tax for over 100 years. When will the American people realize the moral wrongness of taxation?"

I don't think you could make a funnier parody if you tried.

1865-1776 = 89 years

What is he talking about?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Cordyceps Headache posted:

1865-1776 = 89 years

What is he talking about?

Probably the end of the British slave trade which is the only date that even sort of matches up. That'd be 1776-1807 so he's only a year off if that's what he's trying to say. Not that what he's trying to say makes any more sense even giving him the benefit of the doubt. It's probably easier to just assume Cain is an idiot.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 12, 2013

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
One of the greatest ironies of the American right wing is that for as much as they decry affirmative action they are the quickest to prop up a minority voice, no matter how unqualified, as soon as they utter the correct conservative incantations. While Herman Cain no doubt has some sort of business acumen considering he managed to make it all the way into a CEO position, everything else that comes out of his mouth is tremendously naive, ill-informed, or ridiculous.

It really will be their downfall in their upcoming outreach. By shutting minorities out for so long they have not cultivated anything close to what could be called a deep bench. Their litmus tests also ensure that what their chosen minority voices will say will be exactly the same as the white guy before them.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I'm not sure how ironic it is considering there's a solid argument to be made that the party machine intentionally propped up Herman Cain as the frontrunner (by passing down marching orders to hype Cain to all conservative media puppets) for a couple weeks during the primary season just so they could say "BUT A BLACK MAN WAS FRONTRUNNER" any time they got called out on their racist bullshit against Obama. It was always going to be Romney and everybody within the party leadership and anybody with half a clue knew it as soon as he came second to McCain and Huckabee said he wasn't going to run again.

It was actually a really brilliant political move and it's incredibly depressing that the best minority voice that a party representing half our country could muster as a fake nominee was Herman Cain.

They also appear to be making some relatively solid moves to court the Latino vote. The Republican party in its current form will never care about the black vote.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Watching Herman Cain go against Barack Obama would have been a hell of a interesting election though. I mean Obama still would have won but I'm intensely curious how all the racist idiots on the internet and in the gop would react.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Lord Lambeth posted:

Watching Herman Cain go against Barack Obama would have been a hell of a interesting election though. I mean Obama still would have won but I'm intensely curious how all the racist idiots on the internet and in the gop would react.

Herman Cain would be considered "one of the good ones" and then the entire national discourse would plummet into variations of Chris Rock's "black people vs. niggers".

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I would guess even fewer would have voted than didn't vote for Romney because he was blue blood and/or Mormon. Racism runs deeper than any other prejudice in the Republican party, save for maybe homophobia. I know quite a few conservatives and the ones that aren't Mormon basically said they would have voted for anyone else from the GOP primary pool, but they couldn't stomach Romney. I still firmly believe that if they had nominated a "mainstream" Christian that working class people could identify with on some level then Obama would have gotten destroyed. I think if Rick Perry had survived the primary he could have easily won the election. People say he would have been weak to Bush comparisons, but I really think people overestimate how lasting and pervasive Bush's unpopularity is. I think his lack of exposure since he left office has more to do with him not wanting the exposure than him being sequestered away by the party. I could see Bush comparisons being a favorable thing in maybe one or two more elections.

gimpfarfar
Jan 25, 2006

It's time to play Spot the Looney!

Snoggle posted:

Herman Cain would be considered "one of the good ones" and then the entire national discourse would plummet into variations of Chris Rock's "black people vs. niggers".

In this same vein, for those of you familiar with Adam Carolla & David Alan Grier from Loveline, they did a pretty funny bit on Adam's podcast on the subject of an Obama vs Cain-debate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebg4UJeFbW4

(Sorry for the derail!:))

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Seoinin posted:

He tries to run it like a regular late night talk show, just with an overt right-wing bent. So he'll do an interview with a guy from the band Rush, or the actor who plays Thor, and bookend it with right-wing talking points translated into Miller Speak. Lots of bland, unfunny commentary on current events, of course, with his inoffensive co-host/producer chiming in from time to time. Listening to it will make you feel sad.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

That's an old recycled Limbaugh line. Dennis Miller is terrible at being terrible.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

It was actually a really brilliant political move and it's incredibly depressing that the best minority voice that a party representing half our country could muster as a fake nominee was Herman Cain.

Better him than Allen West or Alan Keyes

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
About a year ago, I listened to his mollycoddling interview with that smug poo poo Kirk Cameron where he claimed that Kirk was one of his closest friends, who totally had no animosity towards gay people or atheists. Then I remembered how he once had a huge rant about how the religious right in this country needed to go ASAP, or they'd line us all up for witch burnings. gently caress, what a miserable little lapdog he's become.

EDIT

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Better him than Allen West or Alan Keyes

Speaking as someone who's lived through an Obama vs. Keyes election, they are, in fact, HILARIOUS.

The only thing funnier than the election its self was listening to the probably Freeper I worked with (called CNN the Communist News Network, and refused to look up news on any site other than foxnews.com) assert that Keyes was totally the best man for the job and he was going to crush Obama.

Hermetic fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 12, 2013

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Snoggle posted:

We already this discourse once, and your assumption is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Obama vs Keyes is where the Crazification Factor comes from.