Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
This is really sad, because gearbox proper is full of a lot of talented and cool dudes. I also hadn't got the impression that Randy Pitchford was a scumbag.

Sad times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Apaprently the game has a Field of View slider but it doesn't have any numbers on it, does anyone know what the default is what the various increments represent?

I've read that you can edit the game's config files to set a particular FOV (or mess with various other things) but instead is how offset it is from whatever the default is. So you can set FOVOffset=30 (which is apparently the maximum on the slider in the menu) and that means it is 30 more than whatever the default is. Why loving hide the number? From trial and error in various games I've found that I tend to like a FOV of 85 and like to actually choose that FOV rather than vaguely approximate it based on repeatedly going between the menu and the game and tweaking the slider.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
So will this be worth picking up for the multiplayer once it goes for 10-20$ in the next steam sale like most games that receive a critical thrashing?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Bloodmobile posted:

So will this be worth picking up for the multiplayer once it goes for 10-20$ in the next steam sale like most games that receive a critical thrashing?

Multiplayer will probably be dead by the time it goes on a Steam sale

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Any of you fellas get it for PC; what're the option menus like? Is it as bare bones like a console port or did they make some effort?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

pixelbaron posted:

Multiplayer will probably be dead by the time it goes on a Steam sale

But the people who pick it up in the sale usually populate it for at least a few weeks.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/how-much-of-aliens-colonial-marines-did-gearbox-actually-make

Holy poo poo. Can you be more of a shameless rear end in a top hat? The aliens in Aliens aren't as slimy as Gearbox and IGN.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

your evil twin posted:

Were you playing on PC or console? And did you have retail version or Steam version?

PS3 version. At that point I had yet to re-find the glorious motherland of gaming that is the PC.

Ugh goddamn TimeGate. I'll never forgive them for loving up the FEAR storyline and making all that lovely DLC. gently caress.

e: at least one of those links lead me to this

heh

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Yodzilla posted:

Ugh goddamn TimeGate. I'll never forgive them for loving up the FEAR storyline and making all that lovely DLC. gently caress.

drat. Was I the only one who thought the ending of Extraction Point was pretty cool? Here comes the helicopter to take you to safety just kidding it's the apocalypse.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

rizuhbull posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/12/how-much-of-aliens-colonial-marines-did-gearbox-actually-make

Holy poo poo. Can you be more of a shameless rear end in a top hat? The aliens in Aliens aren't as slimy as Gearbox and IGN.

"You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them loving each other over for a goddamn percentage."

This is a real disappointment. I was excited for a game that really seemed like it had a shot at being one of the better Aliens games to come out in a while. Should have known something was up when the multiplayer videos started showing up...

Ah well. Still have my fifty dollars.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

What's so bad about the ending? I've seen it mentioned a couple times without any details.

I mean other than the myriad problems that plague this terrible game.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Nevermind.

pixelbaron fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 12, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Wild T posted:

drat. Was I the only one who thought the ending of Extraction Point was pretty cool? Here comes the helicopter to take you to safety just kidding it's the apocalypse.

Except that's exactly how the original game ended and did it better. Extraction Point then for some reason retconned FEAR's ending and made it so that your teammates were dead and Fettel was still alive.

e: well, the reason this happened is that Monolith had a big falling out with Vivendi. Monolith apparently wanted the series to go elsewhere but Vivendi wanted to keep on with the Alma/Fettel poo poo so that's what TimeGate rolled out. at one point there were two FEAR 2's in development, Vivendi's and Monolith's called Project Origin but at some point I guess they kissed and made up. ugh

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Circutron posted:

"You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them loving each other over for a goddamn percentage."

This is a real disappointment. I was excited for a game that really seemed like it had a shot at being one of the better Aliens games to come out in a while. Should have known something was up when the multiplayer videos started showing up...

Ah well. Still have my fifty dollars.

I like how I broke my "never pre-order" rule for that dirt cheap Green Man Gaming deal....but yeah, never again. Never pre-order again. Hell I'm even going to give Bioshock Infinite a pass now and just wait a bit.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Gaylord Plower posted:

What's so bad about the ending? I've seen it mentioned a couple times without any details.

Here's the ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMLJ-JJBvn4

Basically, it's just a poo poo ending to a poo poo game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Reminder to everyone that this game is part of SEGA's four core franchises now.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I quit about 5 minutes into the first mission then went to play MP.

I've only played Escape so far, but it was pretty fun. It's basically L4D VS in the Aliens universe. I wish there were more maps for it.

Wall walking is horrible and I don't know why there is a sprint button for the aliens. They should just be going at that speed by default all of the time with walk requiring a button. The spitting alien was decent, but lots of times the spit never even showed up or it'd hit something right in front of me even though the aiming mechanism was showing it not being stopped. I like the Lurker a lot, but the damage sucks.

Also, having to unlock stuff for MP blows. You're basically stuck playing as the shittiest alien possible for hours until you can actually play the class the way it's designed. If this game was actually going to have a long life then it would suck for new players because you'd be stuck fighting decked out marines with acid-resistant armor, a trait that lets them run faster, and weapons that put you down in 1-2 shots.

I really don't even know why they offered a season pass for the game. Gearbox now has to make multiple DLC for a game that no one is buying post-launch until it hits $10.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 12, 2013

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Ulvirich posted:

Any of you fellas get it for PC; what're the option menus like? Is it as bare bones like a console port or did they make some effort?
Video options are bare-bone, audio allows you to set the level for pretty much everything and the controls section offers a good variety of options and allows you to bind pretty much everything to what you want (including mouse thumb buttons).

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Ulvirich posted:

Actually it has a decent level of options and settings. I think the biggest annoyance for me as a PC gamer is how hit and miss the graphics are. The humans and firearms look decent enough but the xenos and the terrain textures look quite dated even for console standards.

In general though, I didn't find the game all that bad. Not nearly as terrible as some in this thread seem to find it. It's hardly breaking any new ground but I'm finding it a decent co-op experience. I was, admittedly, expecting quite a bit more though sadly but I guess that is Gearbox for you.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Yodzilla posted:

Reminder to everyone that this game is part of SEGA's four core franchises now.

Me, right now.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

rizuhbull posted:

Did IGN have this article just queued up and ready to go on launch day?

Impressive, Pitchford. At least everyone with an IQ above 35 knows this guy is the used car salesman of video games and to never believe a word he says again.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Here's the ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMLJ-JJBvn4

Basically, it's just a poo poo ending to a poo poo game.

I like that you don't even get to finish the job. An NPC does.

Mego
Feb 8, 2013
www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/

EGM gave the game an pretty positive review, rating it higher than Halo 4.

This could mean two things I think. Either they were payed off, which seems much more likely, or the reviewer did a terrible job actually playing through the game, and didn't spend enough time focusing in the game to seek out the problems that other reviewers point out.

Edit: Left out a line.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
Working at Gamestop for 17 years is not 17 years in the gaming industry.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
This was foretold in 1987 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J8SzBhjqaQ

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha holy poo poo that's perfect.

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

Mego posted:

www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/

EGM gave the game an pretty positive review, rating it higher than Halo 4.

This could mean two things I think. Either they were payed off, which seems much more likely, or the reviewer did a terrible job actually playing through the game, and didn't spend enough time focusing in the game to seek out the problems that other reviewers point out.

Edit: Left out a line.

I didn't even know still EGM existed. They were a joke back in my PS1 days in the mid-90s and it seems little has changed. I mean I don't loath the game like many do here but it's clear the "reviewer" didn't even boot the game up and just spat out some very vague, pre-prepared garbage.

The better question is if you are going to bribe someone to give you good reviews, why the hell would you choose EGM...?

Sound Insect
May 27, 2010

I cannot believe I bought this game. I hope I wake up to find out that it was all a dream.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Calihan posted:

I didn't even know still EGM existed. They were a joke back in my PS1 days in the mid-90s and it seems little has changed. I mean I don't loath the game like many do here but it's clear the "reviewer" didn't even boot the game up and just spat out some very vague, pre-prepared garbage.

The better question is if you are going to bribe someone to give you good reviews, why the hell would you choose EGM...?

Because everyone else got too burned from Sega the last go around with reviews of Empire Total War. It is probably all they could find.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Xenomrph, is this canon?

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Calihan posted:

Maybe he put off writing and playing the game because he was too busy playing an actually good game and poo poo one out as fast as possible. Like a term paper.

I do like the MASSIVE wallpaper ads for the game though. Nothing fishy at all about that. No sir.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

ClownSyndrome posted:

This was foretold in 1987

Jesus H. Christ. Bravo. :golfclap:

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I've played through the first 3 missions in co-op and I have to say, while the game isn't fantastic horror action game, it is a decent shooter set in the Alien universe.

It's got it's flaws, but it's moderately challenging on hard mode and it's not a complete piece of poo poo.

I am in fact enjoying this shameless hack of a game, but only because it has co-op campaign mode.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

You just convinced me to get the game

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
So I just read that Hicks is loving alive in this game, how the gently caress is that canon? :psyduck:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

keyframe posted:

So I just read that Hicks is loving alive in this game, how the gently caress is that canon? :psyduck:

The person who was in his cryo pod is actually someone else entirely, also it's a long story. Official explanation.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

keyframe posted:

When your looking for a writer the first questions isn't "How much do you know about the Aliens franchise" it's "Hey are you a good writer?"

Calihan
Jan 6, 2008

ModeSix posted:

I've played through the first 3 missions in co-op and I have to say, while the game isn't fantastic horror action game, it is a decent shooter set in the Alien universe.

It's got it's flaws, but it's moderately challenging on hard mode and it's not a complete piece of poo poo.

I am in fact enjoying this shameless hack of a game, but only because it has co-op campaign mode.

Sums up my feelings nearly exactly. My friend and myself are actually having a pretty fun time of it doing the co-op. It does disappoint me how much more it could have been though.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Giggily posted:

The person who was in his cryo pod is actually someone else entirely, also it's a long story. Official explanation.

And that is literally the explanation the game gives and moves on like that's acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

keyframe posted:

The company apparently grabbed Hicks off the Sulaco and replaced his body with a double. No really. Maybe in Colonial Marines 2 we'll learn that the molten lead at Fury 161 has healing properties that bring Ripley and Newt back to life.

• Locked thread