Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I was using some terrible weapons to finish up the weapons challenges for them. Then a prompt came up after I had finished the 140000 needed. Apparently there are challenges other than weapon challenges for weapons that require more use of said weapon? :psyduck:

Also, I know about the weaknesses for the praetorian (mass of heads), scion (shoot hump, then head), ravager (shoot sacs, then the 'head'), atlas (shoulder pad thingies)... Are these right? Do Banshees and Brutes have weak points? I know you can shoot the metal plates off Brutes to reveal their guts, but shooting that doesn't seem to do anymore damage than the head or whatever. Am I missing any other non-standard enemies?
Some of the guns have 200,000 point challenges in their respective DLC and alien race masteries, under the "Aliens" tab in your challenges. They're easier to get than doing 200 waves with a single class, so they help to cut down the number of class challenges you have to do.

Brutes and Banshees take more damage if you shoot them in the face. Brutes take less damage if shot in the armor plates (much less if hit in the claw), and normal damage when the plates are off. Geth Primes also take more damage form headshots. Banshees are kind of spindly, so it can be better just to go for body shots rather than whiffing headshots sometimes. In addition to the shoulders, you can also shoot Atlases in the crotch for burst damage when that plate pops; their "headshot" area is the jet turbine on their back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I know it'd be next to impossible to implement, but if Bioware added a 'from cover' animation for grenades (i.e. just throw it over/around cover instead of exposing yourself completely) and maybe powers, they would be my heroes. :allears:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Brutes and Banshees take more damage if you shoot them in the face. Brutes take less damage if shot in the armor plates (much less if hit in the claw), and normal damage when the plates are off. Geth Primes also take more damage form headshots. Banshees are kind of spindly, so it can be better just to go for body shots rather than whiffing headshots sometimes. In addition to the shoulders, you can also shoot Atlases in the crotch for burst damage when that plate pops; their "headshot" area is the jet turbine on their back.

Don't forget the Atlas's knees. Personally I find those a lot easier to pop off than the shoulders, plus they're closer to level with the crotch so you can basically just tag them 1-2-3 with a Valiant or BW or something.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Red Crown posted:

Just got the Acolyte and the AT-12. The Acolyte looks good but I'm not sure what differentiates the AT-12 from everything else.

e: Holy crap Phoenix Adept is FUN

AT-12 is a very good weapon for a Infiltrator but you have to right up in their face for the accuracy to matter. A good shotgun if you're reckless.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Felinoid posted:

Don't forget the Atlas's knees. Personally I find those a lot easier to pop off than the shoulders, plus they're closer to level with the crotch so you can basically just tag them 1-2-3 with a Valiant or BW or something.

Oddly the bug that lets you double hit Atlases if you hit them in particular parts of the canopy still seems to work, it's kind of cheap but I find I do a lot more damage just aiming in that kind of area. Not as satisfying as shooting it in the balls though.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Aphrodite posted:

I can't casually toss a flamethrower over a wall and get 5 kills.

Maybe some day.

Well there's the flamethrower turret.

Okay, maybe not five kills. Or one.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Psion posted:

Basically, yes. Put a choke and either shredder or HV barrel on it. It does more damage with both shots combined than the Claymore does with 1, but you lose out against armor because of the reduction so always take something which mitigates armor. Get up close and put both barrels into everything. You never fire just one.

Pairs very well with batarian soldier. Shoot -> blades -> shoot -> repeat forever

Don't forget that Destroyers can get 3 shots off with Devastator Mode and a bit of lag. The magazine increase combined with the lag will make the ammo shoot up to one for a split second after your second shot.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Raider triple shot bug can happen on any class. There just needs to be lag.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
Did something change with the Indra Sniper Rifle? I used to absolutely love that gun, but I took a break for a few months from the game, and when I started playing again the Indra seemed a lot less impressive than it used to be. Now it doesn't seem to do nearly as much damage, and isn't any better than the other 'high rate of fire' sniper rifles.

Did it get nerfed, or was I just overestimating its abilities in the past?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
...The people who play gold during the day are terrible, terrible people. I was in one round where 3 people dropped out wave 4. I decided to roll over and die because I'm a Volus Biotic god and I just wanted to take my money and run. A Krogan Shaman dropped into the round less than one second before I game over'd...he kind of putzed around for a while with mild success. Five minutes later an N7 Destroyer and another guy came in. The first thing they did was make it as far as taking cover before letting a Geth bomber kill them and then get executed.

Ugh.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I picked this up a few days ago and it owns. I seem to get nothing but lovely weapons and a fair amount of characters I probably won't play but I did unlock the Volus Adept. Turns out he's the best character if you have only lovely weapons. Being basically an invincible shield bot that can turn invisible and set off biotic explosions on a whim has its perks.

It seems like Infiltrator might actually be able to kill something if you get a sniper rifle that doesn't have to reload after every loving shot.

What's it like to have weapons that do damage?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sarkozymandias posted:

It seems like Infiltrator might actually be able to kill something if you get a sniper rifle that doesn't have to reload after every loving shot.

What's it like to have weapons that do damage?

a: As long as you hit the head, you should see what a competent GI can do with a Javelin or Widow. Sure, they're not as cool as a BW, but when three Widow shots destroys a gold prime, there's something to be said for it. Might take 4 with the other infiltrators ;)

In fairness if you just picked this up I'm sure you're talking about the Mantis, but there's good news for you there: Buy a ton of those 5k recruit packs and you'll have a Mantis X in no time, which is actually extremely good for bronze/silver and workable on Gold.

b: Pretty awesome, but space magic rules as you've figured out already.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 12, 2013

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Yeah I don't know if I'll be able to wean myself off the biotic classes eventually because Charge is basically the best power in any game ever and if I get a volus vanguard I will be in heaven.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blompkin posted:

Did something change with the Indra Sniper Rifle? I used to absolutely love that gun, but I took a break for a few months from the game, and when I started playing again the Indra seemed a lot less impressive than it used to be. Now it doesn't seem to do nearly as much damage, and isn't any better than the other 'high rate of fire' sniper rifles.

Did it get nerfed, or was I just overestimating its abilities in the past?

I ripped through a gold collectors with it the other day, even scions went down in one clip.

What class where you using it with?

quote:

...The people who play gold during the day are terrible, terrible people. I was in one round where 3 people dropped out wave 4. I decided to roll over and die because I'm a Volus Biotic god and I just wanted to take my money and run. A Krogan Shaman dropped into the round less than one second before I game over'd...he kind of putzed around for a while with mild success. Five minutes later an N7 Destroyer and another guy came in. The first thing they did was make it as far as taking cover before letting a Geth bomber kill them and then get executed.

Same case at night.

"We got a spydrone down"

*Pubbies run in the complete opposite direction of it to kill enemies and end up dying"

The odd thing is that both of them had high N7 rankings, no clue why they where playing like retards. Still outscored both of them. :smug:

Then I got synced at extraction at a phantom because as I was charging up the melee, she clipped herself into a wall and the melee couldn't track her so I missed and SWORD THROUGH THE GUT. That was definitely my most :bioware: moment in quite awhile.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
High N7 ranking just indicates that someone's been playing a lot. That doesn't mean they're good at it or that they've actually learned anything from their experience, just that they've sunk a lot of hours into it (and if they're at 4 digits are probably obsessed with promoting or challenges).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Felinoid posted:

(and if they're at 4 digits are probably obsessed with promoting or challenges).

shut up :(

Just a few games away from Nomad!

I find it extremely unlikely I'll continue to play this game enough to promote 38 more times or whatever to get that N7 challenge but I'm playing to complete as many of the challenges as possible just in case, because that's the only one really standing in the way of me getting Best of the Best aside from sheer time. Keeps things different and exciting, lets me shoot two feet of rebar into a banshee's face from the Kishock (this owns, fyi) instead of 100% TGI and AHI forever.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 12, 2013

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

This magic the gathering booster pack style of unlocking poo poo better never happen in any game ever again.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
It's in Dead Space 3. :stare:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Houdini posted:

It's in Dead Space 3. :stare:

That's just resources and there's a glitch to get infinite ones which EA is using to save face and says will never fix.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It really needs to stay the gently caress out of games you pay 60 dollars for. It makes sense for freemium games but it's bullshit in a title you're already paying full price for.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The randomness is a big part of this multiplayer's staying power.

Psion posted:

a: As long as you hit the head, you should see what a competent GI can do with a Javelin or Widow. Sure, they're not as cool as a BW, but when three Widow shots destroys a gold prime, there's something to be said for it. Might take 4 with the other infiltrators ;)

Disagree, single shot rifles make you much cooler.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah, the unfortunate reality is that the randomized packs have probably extended MP way beyond its intended shelf life. I know I certainly wouldn't have played as frequently if I could ensure what popped out of those PSPs. I've been playing MP since the demo though, so I've had a pretty big advantage when it comes to unlocks.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

That's a good point. I'd be more than willing to compromise with SOME kind of... better distinction between categories, though. Having basically every package loaded down with some consumable garbage is frustrating, and the "chance of Rare" is basically any of a thousand things I don't care about. Consumables should be strictly things that you can actively just shop to buy if you really want or need some.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If this game has 10 things wrong with it, I experienced 14 of them in 3 silver game, everything was wonky, floating dragoons, melee doing nothing to phantoms, brute claw range being 20 feet longer than I remember, Atlas falling through the ground.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Psion posted:

shut up :(

Just a few games away from Nomad!

I find it extremely unlikely I'll continue to play this game enough to promote 38 more times or whatever to get that N7 challenge but I'm playing to complete as many of the challenges as possible just in case, because that's the only one really standing in the way of me getting Best of the Best aside from sheer time. Keeps things different and exciting, lets me shoot two feet of rebar into a banshee's face from the Kishock (this owns, fyi) instead of 100% TGI and AHI forever.

I'm 18 promotions away, and it's been fairly easy because I've been cheesing it by buying 300-400k worth of Recruit Packs right after I promote each class, which gets most of my characters to level 14-16. I guess its a better deal for me since I have everything maxed out except Ultra Rares, so Spectre Packs are just usually just Level IV ammo. I probably would have finished it by now, but I'm working on Gold level waves for Nomad right now.

I need Husk and Guardian kills too to finish off those respective masteries, does anyone remember the difficulty level/wave number where they spawn the most of those enemy types?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Sarkozymandias posted:

That's a good point. I'd be more than willing to compromise with SOME kind of... better distinction between categories, though. Having basically every package loaded down with some consumable garbage is frustrating, and the "chance of Rare" is basically any of a thousand things I don't care about. Consumables should be strictly things that you can actively just shop to buy if you really want or need some.

I think the main problem isn't so much all the consumables you get flooded with in PSPs, it's that even out of the rare guns, only a handful are really worth using.
At the end of the day, between all of the guns, there's only like a dozen or so that are actually good, the rest are mediocre or worth using for novelty factors only at best, and the vast majority are just plain terrible compared to the ~dozen that you'll ever use once you've got your manifest maxed.
And heck, a dozen is probably highballing it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Feb 12, 2013

Biotic Charge Power
- Evolution 5 chance of not causing a cooldown increased from 33% to 50%

Annihilation Field Power
- Evolution 5 damage bonus increased from 50% to 65%

Hydraulic Joints Gear
- Melee damage bonus increased from [5%-15%] to [10%-20%]

Collector Sniper Rifle
- Damage increased from [68.3-85.4] to [73.0-91.3]

Incisor Sniper Rifle
- Damage increased from [93.3-116.6] to [98.0-122.5]

Bonus power on charge might be worth taking on a Kroguard now since he has so much barriers to begin with. Damage on AF is still not worth it compared to Drain, and the Collector sniper didn't need a buff, but okay.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bonus Power seems like a no-brainer now for caster-type Vanguards like Cerb and Volus. For Kroguard you're usually meleeing whenever charge is down, so I don't see it being as useful. I could be wrong though.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Man, I really want to like the Incisor but I'm not sure that boost is going to do anything at all :v:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Burning Mustache posted:

I think the main problem isn't so much all the consumables you get flooded with in PSPs, it's that even out of the rare guns, only a handful are really worth using.
At the end of the day, between all of the guns, there's only like a dozen or so that are actually good, the rest are mediocre or worth using for novelty factors only at best, and the vast majority are just plain terrible compared to the ~dozen that you'll ever use once you've got your manifest maxed.
And heck, a dozen is probably highballing it.

I play compulsively so I have every gun unlocked and everything that isn't UR is maxed, so I thought I would look at how many of the guns I actually used with any kind of regularity. There are a few that I only use when I'm screwing around in silver matches, or that I only use with a specific class (Argus with the Turian Soldier), but a dozen actually good weapons looks about correct. Part of it is probably just from the fact that I've maxed so many things that other options are just superseded. Like my one maxed-out UR is a Paladin X, which means why would I ever use another pistol aside from maybe the Talon? The game really changes when you get to the point where you're "grinding for URs". If I was playing for the MMO "raid bosses get loot" payoff instead of because I really enjoy the game (most of the time) I would have quit a long time ago.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Killing stuff with charge counts towards activating Rage. I don't see it changing higher level play, but the Kroguard is going to be even more unkillable on lower difficulties since there's more weak units.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

UnknownMercenary posted:

and the Collector sniper didn't need a buff, but okay.

It was always great at mowing down hordes of grunts so that's no different buff or no buff, but this might give it an actual spot at the "can kill a boss" table like every other sniper worth using. You know, "not a Raptor or Incisor."

what I'm not seeing is a DLC announcement, Bioware. Ahem.

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

Psion posted:

It was always great at mowing down hordes of grunts so that's no different buff or no buff, but this might give it an actual spot at the "can kill a boss" table like every other sniper worth using. You know, "not a Raptor or Incisor."

what I'm not seeing is a DLC announcement, Bioware. Ahem.

Trailers always come out on Thursdays. I'm betting on an announcement in two days and a DLC release next Tuesday.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

UnknownMercenary posted:

Annihilation Field Power

For a moment I thought this referred to the Damage Taken evolution and was about to go all :tviv:. Alas, no, it's the useless evolution and this doesn't help.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Aphrodite posted:

The randomness is a big part of this multiplayer's staying power.

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, the unfortunate reality is that the randomized packs have probably extended MP way beyond its intended shelf life. I know I certainly wouldn't have played as frequently if I could ensure what popped out of those PSPs. I've been playing MP since the demo though, so I've had a pretty big advantage when it comes to unlocks.

Call of Duty's system of challenges and multiplayer 'achievements' do the same thing while tying unlocks to playing time and completing challenges. You can extend playing time without random unlocks. They could have pretty much lifted the CoD prestige system wholesale and it would have been fine.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

Feb 12, 2013

Biotic Charge Power
- Evolution 5 chance of not causing a cooldown increased from 33% to 50%

Annihilation Field Power

Shouldn't these be Evolution 6 and not 5? Either way I'll probably not change my builds for those powers much.

Unclouded fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 13, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Cheap Vodka posted:

Trailers always come out on Thursdays. I'm betting on an announcement in two days and a DLC release next Tuesday.

Oh really? That's cool. I thought they came out on Tuesdays 7 days before the DLC dropped, but if it's announced Thursday and drops Tuesday, even better.

Well, assuming it happens this week. I would prefer not to wait :v:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Unclouded posted:

Shouldn't these be Evolution 6 and not 5? Either way I'll probably not change my builds for those powers much.

Bioware counts evolutions top to bottom and then left to right. The two choices at rank 4 are 1 and 2, the ones at rank 5 are 3 and 4, and then the last choice is between 5 and 6.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I've always thought the 33% chance of not needing a cooldown was bugged anyway because it's a lot more reliable than a one out of 3 chance.

It's a great thing to try out though. It's also mental when you chain together a load of stasis - charge combos without interruption. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Alteisen posted:

The odd thing is that both of them had high N7 rankings, no clue why they where playing like retards. Still outscored both of them. :smug:

My N7 score is 5550 and I suck. I've got every challenge banner in the game but Nomad and Lone Wolf and I did almost all of it on bronze.

• Locked thread