Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

derp posted:

My newest addition. I was actually planning on getting some bulleit, but this was on sale for 27$. Hope it's as nice as the bottle looks!

The Four Roses Single Barrel bottle design is my current favorite. It's simple and elegant, but still practical. It won't tip over due to being an odd shape and despite the way the cap looks, the mouth of the bottle is standard size. Definitely a bottle I'll keep around as ornamentation. Plus there's a single barrel for everyone since they have 2 mashbills and 5 yeast strains totalling 10 recipes.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Makers is cutting alcohol content from 90 to 84 proof.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/02/11/maker_s_mark_watering_its_bourbon_down.html

A different article claims bourbon now accounts for 35% of all liquor sales.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wormil posted:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/02/11/maker_s_mark_watering_its_bourbon_down.html

Asia is sucking the booze world dry.

Makes sense for a brand like Maker's to do this instead of raising prices by a couple bucks. Not a cult favorite anymore, it's a supermarket bourbon that needs to appeal to the bargain shopper. If the price tag is higher than Four Roses, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, etc. people will just buy those instead... There's too many choices at that $20 pricepoint. These shoppers aren't going to check the proof, they just know everyone drinks Maker's Mark.

Higher-end stuff will likely not be affected by dilution, but just receive price bumps. Perhaps some mid-range bourbons will lose their age statements.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

wormil posted:

While at first glance it seems pretty lame, and while I'm certain it will negatively affect the flavor, I find myself not really caring so much about Maker's. It's sort of a starter bourbon that a lot of drinkers cut their teeth on and move on to more interesting stuff. As like 90% of it seems to be used in mixed drinks behind bars, I imagine the average person wont even notice.

And Asia, god drat, stop drinking so much whiskey and driving up the prices! I'm looking at you, South Korea

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

NightConqueror posted:

While at first glance it seems pretty lame, and while I'm certain it will negatively affect the flavor, I find myself not really caring so much about Maker's. It's sort of a starter bourbon that a lot of drinkers cut their teeth on and move on to more interesting stuff. As like 90% of it seems to be used in mixed drinks behind bars, I imagine the average person wont even notice.

And Asia, god drat, stop drinking so much whiskey and driving up the prices! I'm looking at you, South Korea

Apparently, Makers did some blind tastings and no one could tell the difference between the 90 and the 84. Of course, it was a "study" done by the producer, so there could be some spin on it, but I believe it. It's not like it's a robust whiskey to begin with.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Bought some Russell's Reserve courtesy of this thread and very much enjoying it. Has a nice, sweet vanilla aroma to it.

The liquor store was kinda small (closest one to me) and I didn't find a lot of the brands listed in the OP but I am happy with the purchase.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

kidsafe posted:

Asia is sucking the booze world dry.

Makes sense for a brand like Maker's to do this instead of raising prices by a couple bucks. Not a cult favorite anymore, it's a supermarket bourbon that needs to appeal to the bargain shopper. If the price tag is higher than Four Roses, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, etc. people will just buy those instead... There's too many choices at that $20 pricepoint. These shoppers aren't going to check the proof, they just know everyone drinks Maker's Mark.

Higher-end stuff will likely not be affected by dilution, but just receive price bumps. Perhaps some mid-range bourbons will lose their age statements.

We'll see if the decision stands. Also the whole "we are doing it because it's scarce" excuse seems like an outright lie. I've never been in a store, in any state, that was out of or even low on Makers. In addition, I thought they were in the process of expanding, or were going to be expanding soon. If that is true, then I think this whole thing is going to hurt the brand as it seems a bit short sighted. The problem would/should/is going to be a short term issue, if expansion is in process. This is especially troubeling as Maker's has had a message of not compromising or changing their product for gods only knows how long. Does anyone believe they will go back to the original proof once production ramps up? I don't.

Also for a bit of funny:

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/de...hiskey-in-2004/

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010
So I recently discovered this forum and this thread. I have read the first few pages, and I just want to jump to this thread and thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Tonight, I went to the state store (Welcome to PA) and purchased a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year old. Now, my only other experience with Scotch was on a late night flight out of Newark, with the drinks being free because of the delayed flight, and I was not impressed with Southwest Airlines choice in Scotch. Then again, why I trust anything to an airline is beyond me, and is my own fault. Nonetheless, I am a fan of Jack in my Coke, and that's about as far as I get with Whiskey. But I read here, and I got intrigued. I thought to myself, what, you mean alcohol is not supposed to make you pucker up and only taste good when mixed with other things. So, I decided to be adventurous. I walked in, intending to buy a quarter barrel, but I could locate none. I remembered some people had good things to say about the 10 years, so I bought one. And let me tell you, it is like coming home from vacation. You're away from home, you're having fun on the beach, and you're having fun with the all-inclusive food. You think it's the greatest thing ever and you wish you could live there. Then, it's always the same. You travel all day, you spend hours at the airport, you fly back, you drive home, and then that moment. That moment when you crawl back into your own bed, and it just feels different. It feels like the only place you've ever known, and the only place that gives you comfort. That is what this tastes like.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

Smokewagon posted:

Does anyone believe they will go back to the original proof once production ramps up? I don't.
They've already said this is a permanent change and they won't change it back.

"Rob Samuels, chief operating officer and grandson of Maker's Mark Founder Bill Samuels, Sr., said this is a permanent decision that won’t be reversed when demand for bourbon slows down." source

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Smokewagon posted:

We'll see if the decision stands. Also the whole "we are doing it because it's scarce" excuse seems like an outright lie.
It doesn't matter if there's enough Maker's Mark on the shelf right now. All of those bottles have already been monetized. I think it's safe to assume that Beam/Maker's knows its output capability and also has forecasts for demand years, perhaps decades from now.

Look at the scotch industry...NAS whiskies are displacing 10-12 year olds at every distillery, including huge names like Macallan. Johnnie Walker Gold Label has been reformulated with younger whiskies. Limited releases like Buffalo Trace's antique collections are impossible to find. Diageo had to build the largest malt whisky distillery ever at Roseisle. Independent bottlers are clamoring to buy their own distilleries so they have trade chips as barrel availability becomes scarce.

If they were doing it because people are willing to pay, then they would have just raised the price.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Smokewagon posted:

We'll see if the decision stands. Also the whole "we are doing it because it's scarce" excuse seems like an outright lie. I've never been in a store, in any state, that was out of or even low on Makers. In addition, I thought they were in the process of expanding, or were going to be expanding soon. If that is true, then I think this whole thing is going to hurt the brand as it seems a bit short sighted. The problem would/should/is going to be a short term issue, if expansion is in process. This is especially troubeling as Maker's has had a message of not compromising or changing their product for gods only knows how long. Does anyone believe they will go back to the original proof once production ramps up? I don't.

Also for a bit of funny:

http://blogs.courier-journal.com/de...hiskey-in-2004/

Oddly enough, there's a few bars around here that never have. Plus side is that got me into Bulliet. Yay. I definitely don't trust that it will taste the same and I am looking for some new go tos.

What are some other good bourbons at that price point? Bulliet is my other whiskey. Wild Turkey 101 if I feel cheap (that big bottle is a goddamned steal at that price). I've tried Four Roses a few times and didn't think it was anything that great. EW is pretty good. Any other notable ones to try?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the solid simple and sweet OP. Gonna hit up these Whiskies. Maybe have some smokes with them.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
:ughh: I've never heard of Jesse James Dupree and this makes me glad. This bourbon should be made in Wisconsin it oozes so much cheese.

quote:

The Original Jesse James America’s Outlaw Bourbon Whiskey is distilled in the heart of Kentucky. Or simply put, “Made in the USA.” We have carefully selected the finest, home-grown ingredients to create this smooth Bourbon Whiskey. We start with a mash that is a minimum of 51% corn to distill The Original Jesse James Bourbon Whiskey. We use new, charred oak barrels for aging the Jesse James Bourbon Whiskey. Legally, we need to age Bourbon Whiskey a minimum of two years, but we aren’t in a hurry. We age The Original Jesse James America’s Outlaw Bourbon Whiskey for a minimum of 36 months. We take great care in producing a Bourbon Whiskey to stand up to the Outlaw in you!

Read and be amused.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I'm not too sure that THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY is going to be any good. Sure they are aging THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY for 36 months, but that's not unique to THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY. I mean most distilleries have bourbons aged up to 15 years, which puts THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY on the low end. Maybe if the price is right I will try THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY but most likely THE ORIGINAL JESSE JAMES AMERICA'S OUTLAW BOURBON WHISKEY will just be used for rail drinks at the local bar.

Oh my god, I just found out who Jesse James Dupree is, lead guitarist of Jackyl. Jackyl was playing some concert in northern Minnesota a couple falls ago and I heard 'The Lumberjack' on the local radio station advertising for the concert as I was driving up to Lake of the Woods. I could not stop laughing.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Opened a bottle of Corryvreckan and even through a clogged nose I can smell its beautiful complex aroma with herbs, brown sugar for sherry influence, harsh salinity at first whiff, leather and other more mature notes to temper the sherry, balanced very well and with a satisfyingly even body. This is an astonishing whisky and I regret having called it too expensive before because a bottle of this is easily worth two 10-12 year olds. Water tempers it a bit and is recommended for the experience even for those who don't make a habit of watering it. At 57% it can take several rounds of watering easily while retaining flavour, structure and character. I swear it gets smokier with more water...

No match for outlaw whiskey of course but pretty okay.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 12, 2013

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Deleuzionist posted:

Opened a bottle of Corryvreckan and even through a clogged nose I can smell its beautiful complex aroma, brown sugar for sherry influence, harsh salinity at first whiff, leather and other more mature notes to temper the sherry, balanced very well and with a satisfyingly even body. This is an astonishing whisky and I regret having called it too expensive before because a bottle of this is easily worth two 10-12 year olds. Water tempers it a bit and is recommended for the experience even for those who don't make a habit of watering it. At 57% it can take several rounds of watering easily while retaining flavour, structure and character. I swear it gets smokier with more water...

I'm glad someone likes it... too much pepper for me. What I want is more Airigh Nam Beist.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Undeclared Eggplant posted:

They've already said this is a permanent change and they won't change it back.

"Rob Samuels, chief operating officer and grandson of Maker's Mark Founder Bill Samuels, Sr., said this is a permanent decision that won’t be reversed when demand for bourbon slows down." source

Then their reason for the change doesn't seem accurate. Mr. Samuels might ought to remember what his father said:

"The best advice Pappy ever gave my father", Bill (Samuels Jr.) said, "Was to make a premium product, and to keep it in short supply. I can thank your grandfather for that as long as I live."

But Always Fine Bourbon

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 13, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

wormil posted:

:ughh: I've never heard of Jesse James Dupree and this makes me glad. This bourbon should be made in Wisconsin it oozes so much cheese.

Read and be amused.

The taste is as bad as the cheese they are offering on their website and label. My favorite parts is how they emphazise how they exceed the minimum limit of aging to be called bourbon.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 13, 2013

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

THE MACHO MAN posted:

What are some other good bourbons at that price point? Bulliet is my other whiskey. Wild Turkey 101 if I feel cheap (that big bottle is a goddamned steal at that price). I've tried Four Roses a few times and didn't think it was anything that great. EW is pretty good. Any other notable ones to try?

Weller Antique 107 proof , Weller 12 year, Old Grand Dad 114 proof, Ancient, Ancient Age 10 year, Elijah Craig 12 year, Old forester Signature, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Evan Williams small batch.

These are all Bourbons I can enjoy at the same price point or a bit below. There are many others but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Smokewagon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 13, 2013

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Smokewagon posted:

The taste is as bad as the cheese they are offering on their website and label. My favorite parts is how they emphazise how they exceed the minimum limit of aging to be called bourbon.

They'd probably market it at 2yrs if it wasn't utterly loving undrinkable at that age.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

They'd probably market it at 2yrs if it wasn't utterly loving undrinkable at that age.
I like Redemption Rye, which is 2-year-old whiskey.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I've been getting into drinking whisky lately, and I've tried a few different ones (Glenfidditch scotch, the more expensive jack daniels and jamisons older version) but the stuff that tastes the best to me is just regular Crown Royal. If I'm not mistaken its a rye, but it tastes above and beyond everything else I've tried (I drink it on the rocks). Is there anything along the same flavour lines that you guys would suggest?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

flashman posted:

I've been getting into drinking whisky lately, and I've tried a few different ones (Glenfidditch scotch, the more expensive jack daniels and jamisons older version) but the stuff that tastes the best to me is just regular Crown Royal. If I'm not mistaken its a rye, but it tastes above and beyond everything else I've tried (I drink it on the rocks). Is there anything along the same flavour lines that you guys would suggest?
Canadian whisky does not regulate the use of rye at all. Crown Royal does have some rye, but they do not disclose how much...if I were to guess it would be 10% or lower. Four Roses bourbon for example, has anywhere between 20-35% rye depending on which expression you grab. Many American rye whiskies like Templeton and Redemption have a mashbill consisting of 95% rye. A handful such as Anchor Distilling's Old Potrero are 100% rye.

If you want to try a Canadian whisky that is 100% rye, then look at Alberta Premium.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Smokewagon posted:

Weller Antique 107 proof , Weller 12 year, Old Grand Dad 114 proof, Ancient, Ancient Age 10 year, Elijah Craig 12 year, Old forester Signature, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Evan Williams small batch.

These are all Bourbons I can enjoy at the same price point or a bit below. There are many others but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks! I got into Grand Dad as a cheap whiskey on a bachelor party a few months ago. It's actually surprisingly good for the price.

More about Makers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerdooley/2013/02/14/makers-mark/?partner=yahootix

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
People gravitate to a wheated bourbon like Maker's Mark because it's softer/sweeter than most of its competition. Dropping down to 84 proof makes it even easier to drink, so I don't think the supermarket crowd is going to shy away from it because whisk(e)y geeks (who probably don't drink it anyway) are crying. How many people actively complain about Jack Daniels or Basil Hayden's being 80 proof?

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 14, 2013

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

kidsafe posted:

People gravitate to a wheated bourbon like Maker's Mark because it's softer/sweeter than most of its competition. Dropping down to 84 proof makes it even easier to drink, so I don't think the supermarket crowd is going to shy away from it because whisk(e)y geeks (who probably don't drink it anyway) are crying. How many people actively complain about Jack Daniels or Basil Hayden's being 80 proof?

I actively complain that JD is nasty...

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
JD is just there. It's what I drink at redneck bars that don't serve decent boubons.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So, I do drink Whisky and Whiskey from time to time. I really like peaty scotches like Lagavulin and Laphroig. (My Dad also has a bottle of blended that was aged 40 years). I also enjoy Woodford Reserve Bourbon. Since I live in Canada, thinking about trying out some Canadian Whisky. Any recommendations?

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Thanks! I got into Grand Dad as a cheap whiskey on a bachelor party a few months ago. It's actually surprisingly good for the price.

More about Makers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rogerdooley/2013/02/14/makers-mark/?partner=yahootix

The Bottled in Bond version of OGD is a great inexpensive bourbon. One of my favorites for mixing with the various soda's, and I'll even take it over Jack Daniels and Crown Royal if I want something served neat and my choices are limited.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, I do drink Whisky and Whiskey from time to time. I really like peaty scotches like Lagavulin and Laphroig. (My Dad also has a bottle of blended that was aged 40 years). I also enjoy Woodford Reserve Bourbon. Since I live in Canada, thinking about trying out some Canadian Whisky. Any recommendations?

If you can find them try Alberta Springs (10yr), Forty Creek, and Wiser's.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Smokewagon posted:

If you can find them try Alberta Springs (10yr), Forty Creek, and Wiser's.

I'd personally recommend avoiding Wiser's unless you start at Small Batch or better. Special Blend and De Luxe are bland or uninteresting rail quality.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Well I got some wild turkey 101 and so far I am not a fan. It's really hot and kind of bitter. I'll have to try it again and just keep adding water and see what happens.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm quite fond of it as a mixing whiskey, though I don't think it's necessarily the most pleasant sipper. Does great in an Old Fashioned though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

derp posted:

Well I got some wild turkey 101 and so far I am not a fan. It's really hot and kind of bitter. I'll have to try it again and just keep adding water and see what happens.

The hot I can understand but it shouldn't be bitter. WT is one of the more consistent bourbons but perhaps your bottle had a mouse die in it.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

Jetfire posted:

I'd personally recommend avoiding Wiser's unless you start at Small Batch or better. Special Blend and De Luxe are bland or uninteresting rail quality.

I should had been more specific when menitoning wiser's. I have only ever had the Legacy.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

A bit of whiskey discussion broke out in the Justified thread, and someone mentioned Black Maple Hill small batch as being pretty good. I don't recall it being mentioned in this thread off hand. Anyone have any thoughts? Is it worth seeking out?

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

wormil posted:

The hot I can understand but it shouldn't be bitter. WT is one of the more consistent bourbons but perhaps your bottle had a mouse die in it.

Ugh this is a bad image now :(

101 I'll let sit on the ice a bit more than I would normally before sipping.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

A bit of whiskey discussion broke out in the Justified thread, and someone mentioned Black Maple Hill small batch as being pretty good. I don't recall it being mentioned in this thread off hand. Anyone have any thoughts? Is it worth seeking out?
It's actually mentioned in the very first post of this thread. Black Maple Hill and Noah's Mill are very good bourbons from Kentucky Bourbon Distillers, who despite their name, do not distill at all. They source most of their bourbon from Heaven Hill, but may also blend bourbons from multiple distilleries.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I find Heaven Hill to be possibly the most consistent distiller excluding Beam which I never drink and therefore can't judge. Elijah Craig, Fighting Cock and Evan Williams are all good value bourbons; EC12 being what I consider a benchmark bourbon. I think it was that Ralphy guy who said that if you don't like EC12 then you don't really like bourbon (doesn't mean you can't like some bourbons but EC12 is very representative of bourbon in general)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I have had a few samples and enjoyed them. Some folks, while they like it, don't like the fact that it is sourced from undisclosed distillers. It can be inconsistent, and that is valid complaint. I haven't had enough to say I'd go out of my way to track it down, or pay the premium that is being asked for it because it is such a limited release.