Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Doesn't look like anything Natural Selection 2 doesn't already do better, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Buggy on release, patched to hell, demo was riddled with issues, said to be alpha but was actually beta, etc

I get what your saying- but you got it backwards. Alpha comes before Beta. They said it was beta, but it was supposedly alpha quality when released.

Bringing it up because some poor gamer goon now thinks games in alpha are almost finished products.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

BULBASAUR posted:

I get what your saying- but you got it backwards. Alpha comes before Beta. They said it was beta, but it was supposedly alpha quality when released.

Bringing it up because some poor gamer goon now thinks games in alpha are almost finished products.

Dyslexia is a bitch :doh:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

This is a hilarious trainwreck of DN:F proportions. What famous IP will Gearbox flummox next?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

JebanyPedal posted:

This is a hilarious trainwreck of DN:F proportions. What famous IP will Gearbox flummox next?

Turn's out Half-Life Episode 3 has been outsourced to Gearbox by Valve for the past few years.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

JebanyPedal posted:

You know, Gearbox used to have, and still may have, the rights to make a Heat video game.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
RPS's Review is up well I say review, it is just a bullet point list of how awful it is. Bonus footage of the zombie Xenos included.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

All I got is "please stand by" on the twitch stream from GB. What gives?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

BadLlama posted:

Turn's out Half-Life Episode 3 has been outsourced to Gearbox by Valve for the past few years.

I wish this was true just for the meltdowns. It would be too good. :v:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

Stream is over, they showed off the multiplayer at the end of it. I'm still shocked they shipped the game in this state.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

keyframe posted:

I wish this was true just for the meltdowns. It would be too good. :v:

You're a mean person, keyframe :sigh:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Bonus footage of the zombie Xenos included.

... ... ... what?!

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

PonchAxis posted:

Stream is over, they showed off the multiplayer at the end of it. I'm still shocked they shipped the game in this state.

Man...thread moves fast I guess. drat.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

ApexAftermath posted:

It's over already. The recording is up on their channel if you want to watch an hour and thirty minutes of them trying really hard not to sound pissed off.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

AlternateAccount posted:

... ... ... what?!

Theres some blind Xenos you have to avoid by not making sound. They walk upright with the gait of a zombie.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
The multiplayer on the Giant Bomb stream looked kind of interesting, albeit really simplistic. The aliens actually seem halfway threatening when controlled by other humans.

I'm laughing at how bad this thing turned out but it's really disappointing to think Gearbox completely hosed up what will likely be the last shot at a pure Aliens game.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

thefncrow posted:

You know, Gearbox used to have, and still may have, the rights to make a Heat video game.

Call me a terrible person, but now I'm loving curious.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Theres some blind Xenos you have to avoid by not making sound. They walk upright with the gait of a zombie.

But... they don't have eyes to begin with?

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

AlternateAccount posted:

But... they don't have eyes to begin with?

It's a long story.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Radical Griff posted:

Call me a terrible person, but now I'm loving curious.

If you're looking for Heat in a video game, Payday: The Heist has a level called Heat Street that, while not intended to be a faithful recreation of the movie, is a fun homage to it within the context of a game about general heists and robberies.

It is also quite a fun L4D style co-op game in general.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Heat Street is the worst Payday level, though :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Green Bridge disagrees.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Its a good level since it makes you stay on the move, it most definitely is probably the 2nd hardest level. Green Bridge is a much shittier level.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
You all should just ignore Gerstmann and play Kane and Lynch: Dead Men: A Great Game Totally Overlooked.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
My pre-ordered PC Collector's Edition arrived today. I'm not super excited about playing the campaign anymore, but I figure it'll make a fun blind "let's play". The good bits I'll be able to compliment and enjoy and the bad bits I'll be able to moan about or laugh at and either way entertainment will be had by the viewers.

So far I've played a bit of multiplayer, I want to level up a few times before playing singleplayer so I can go around killing aliens without having the atmosphere being disturbed by level up messages and achievements and stuff.

MULTIPLAYER - MY IMPRESSIONS SO FAR

I've enjoyed what I've played so far.

I guess on these first days of the game being out the aliens will be a bit underpowered compared to the marines as playing the singleplayer/co-op campaign lets you level up and unlock stuff, while you have to play as an alien to level up as an alien. But assuming that someone plays the campaign through just once, they'll end up being something like level 15, and it would only take a day or two of matches as an alien to hit that, and you already get some nice unlocks after levelling up as an alien just once or twice.

I'm finding playing as an alien tricky but I think that's due to the bizarre keyboard layout, I'm sure many players would find things easier if they rebound stuff. Though I think I'm getting the hang of the default keyboard layout I think. So far I've not had issues with climbing around on walls and stuff. Also it looks the aliens have a bunch of intersting unlockables moves that they can do, various sorts of dodges and attacks and things. There's stuff like curling up into a ball like Metroid to take less damage or leaping vertically upwards and immediately sticking to a ceiling.

And while some people have said "this game doesn't do anything that Natural Selection 2 doesn't", sure, Natural Selection 2 gives you a great marines versus aliens experience, but NS2 games are long and complicated, they are n00b unfriendly and also they not suitable for if you want to have a quick 15 minute game of something, you've gotta be committed to playing a long match. So there's room for both in my life.

For nerds that care about movie authenticity and guns and stuff...

The standard pulse rifle in the game (in both multiplayer and singleplayer) is the "M41A Pulse Rifle MK2", which looks very, very similar to the movie pulse rifle but also has some rails on for attachments. It has a 40 round magazine rather than the 100 round magazine seen in the movies, and a lower rate of fire (typical videogame assault rifle firing rate of something like 6 or 8 bullets a second rather than the crazy fast 13 rounds per second of the movie pulse rifle mk1). The gun is more powerful though (somehow) so I guess that is a logical improvement as it means you do about the same amount of damage in the same amount of time but use up far less ammo. (But of course there's no logical reason for the magazine to only hold 40 bullets rather than 100, given that it uses the exact same ammo as the normal pulse rifle and that came in 100 bullet magazines.)

Of course, the REAL reason they did made the pulse rifle have slow firing rate and 40 round magazine is because of the weapon upgrades system. You can get an extended magazine of 60 rounds rather than 40, and you can get some electronic device that accelerates the rate of fire. (Pulse rifles use caseless ammo that is somehow fired using electronic pulses or something, so it makes sense that you can hack it or rewire it to fire faster I guess.) If they'd given you the pulse rifle from the movies with its 100 round magazine and incredibly fast firing speed then that would have been two fewer weapon upgrades in the game, since magazines larger than 100 and a firing rate faster than 13 bullets per second would have been obviously ludicrous.

In the singleplayer campaign apparently you can find Hudson's Pulse Rifle which is the classic mk1 pulse rifle from the movie, it has a 95 round magazine (why not 99 or 100 like we see in the film? I dunno) and the insane firing speed, but it is limited to firing in bursts rather than full auto, presumably in reference to the bit where he says "fire in short controlled bursts". It also has some markings like a skull and some writing that I think are in the movie.

For anyone whose curious about the limited edition and collector's edition:

The limited edition comes with an activation code for Ripley's Pulse Rifle that has a flamethrower strapped to it, for use in multiplayer. Technically it is the wrong way round, in the movie the pulse rifle was on the the right of the flamethrower, not the left, but if they'd done that you wouldnt' be able to see the ammo counter, and also I think it would have obscured more of your screen that way, so that's a perfectly sensible change for gameplay reasons. The pulse rifle is the classic mark 1 movie version, it has the incredinly high firing speed and it is full auto, and a 95 round magazine. (Don't see why it isn't 99 or 100 like in the movie, but whatever.) It still has a working grenade launcher, but you can't use the ironsights. Instead pressing the aim button makes you fire the flamethrower. I think that's a pretty good way of implimenting it, as the pulse rifle/flamethrower combo is so huge and bulky that aiming down the sights would be pretty impractical and in the movie I think Ripley only ever fires it from the hip. The limtied edition also comes with 4 male characters from the movie that you can play as in multiplayer (including voice clips), and a bunch of extra customisation options for the uniforms of the normal marines, both male and female.

The collector's edition comes with a statue of a marine in a power loader fighting an alien. It's pretty sweet. It's a statue, not an action figure, so it doesn't have moving parts. Also has an envelope and inside it is a mission brifing, a certifcate that you can write your name on to say you're part of the colonial marine corps, and a schematic of the USS Sephora, this ship you arrive on (same class of ship as the Sulaco, the ship in the movie). A nice touch is that in tiny letters on the side it says "Check out the Colonial Marines Technical manual by Titan Books." It's not saying that this schematic is based on that or giving them sort of credit or something, it's saying that if you like this blueprint of an Aliens spaceship then they reckon you'd probably enjoy the technical manual (which probably gave them the inspiration as to the names of various bits and bobs). And that's nice.

The collector's edition also comes with an activation code to get the Phased Plasma Pulse Rifle for multiplayer. When you pull the trigger it takes a second to charge and then fires a fast-moving plasma bolt that is a one-hit kill on weaker alien players. I guess its a bit of a noob tube, but a noob tube where there's a one second delay between pressing the trigger and firing. Reminds me a bit of using a railgun back in the old laggy dial-up modem days, where you had to anticipate where enemies were going to be a second later. (Except in this case you want to keep the crosshair on the enemy rather than aiming ahead of them.) The plasma bolt is a pink/purple colour like the plasma bolts in the future scenes of Terminator. Also the colour has some big square coloured lights on the side, it looks very 80s, it actually looks like it could have been in the movie. (Unlike the reflex sights you can get for your pulse rifle, that just looks so out of place.)

You also get Sonic Electronic Ball Breakers, which are a type of grenade that leap into the air and then do a sort of electrical blast. I'm not sure if their damage or effectiveness is actually different to a frag grenade though. They are given a proper technical name (I forget it) and the description than says that they have been known as sonic electronic ball breakers, making clear that's a nickname.

Anyway, yeah, if you are looking for a great Aliens singleplayer game, this probably isn't it, but you only ever cared about AvP's multiplayer modes anyway then I think Colonial Marines may actually scratch your itch. I need to play more though, these are just early impressions.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
The only thing Green Bridge had going for it was being able to abandon the scaffolding once you knew the second flyover was on it's way.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

your evil twin posted:

You also get Sonic Electronic Ball Breakers, which are a type of grenade that leap into the air and then do a sort of electrical blast.

I didn't think anything could make me roll eyes harder than the "S.H.A.R.P. stick" preorder bonus. Jesus.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
The Colonial Marines Technical Manual says pulse rifle clips are usually underloaded a few rounds to minimize ammo jams. Picked that book up years ago, still love it.

I've been playing this awhile now, maybe up to the halfway point. Here's what I think so far...

1. For the most part the graphics are really nice. I have seen some AA jaggies, usually when turning around but it doesn't bother me too much. Animations do seem limited, baddies tend to fall over in the same ways when killed; except when gibbed. Which I love.

2. Storywise, it works to get you from one place to another. I am interested in seeing it through, though of course there's some predictable things happening.

3. There was a lot of frustration to be found in one story section involving an alien you have to avoid at all possible. I'll just say I am not a fan of instadeaths.

Is this game a keeper for me? Right now I'm not sure. I'll certainly finish the story, then I need to try the MP. If the multiplayer is fun, I'll probably keep it for awhile, if not I'll trade it in for a Bioshock preorder. I'm certainly not raging "Oh, Gearbox ruined things!" "Oh, Pitchford lied!" "ROBBLEROBBLEROBBLE!" Get some bug-fixes in the game, it'll improve.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Shinx posted:

The only thing Green Bridge had going for it was being able to abandon the scaffolding once you knew the second flyover was on it's way.

That flyover can miss too.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Roobanguy posted:

That flyover can miss too.

Wait the second one can too?! Auuugh gently caress Green Bridge.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

pixelbaron posted:

It's a long story.

Don't you cover my precious plot holes with that bullshit mister! They already did it about three times.

Also I haven't had another patch pop up apart from the 3mb one that was there on monday. Anyway the engine seems to get more hilariously broken the further you get in the game.

Still can't get the incinerator. Even picked up the EPIC FROST INCINERATOR via co-op but it's not in my inventory. The Ripley gun hogs half my drat screen and pisses me off on top of having gently caress all ammo so I don't want to use that. :argh:

Also, trolling, or not? Hard to tell.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
Are all those audiologs and other collectible just really well hidden? I'm pretty deep into the first mission, and I haven't come across any of them.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
This might be a good place to ask. Does anyone know where I can get the soundtrack for the 1999 Aliens versus predator game? I miss that atmosphere.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

your evil twin posted:

Anyway, yeah, if you are looking for a great Aliens singleplayer game, this probably isn't it, but you only ever cared about AvP's multiplayer modes anyway then I think Colonial Marines may actually scratch your itch. I need to play more though, these are just early impressions.

Thanks for the detailed write up and the stuff about the weapons. I hope people hang around playing multiplayer for a few months at least. Though with only a handful of maps that might not happen.

Shonuff posted:

I'm laughing at how bad this thing turned out but it's really disappointing to think Gearbox completely hosed up what will likely be the last shot at a pure Aliens game.

But this is a franchise that never dies :unsmith:

After all the beatings it has recieved over the years, someone always digs out that license from whatever cupboard it is hiding in, dusts it off, and sets some new studio on their way to producing... something. Aliens turns 30 in a few years so what's the betting that some kind of anniversary re-release won't happen? Some HD update of the older AvP games? Or another ill-judged AvP film that nonetheless justifies another go-around at the original IP? Prometheus wasn't unprofitable. Nah, there will always be a new generation of people waking up to the series ready to have their wallets plundered. And every previous generation will still give new games the look-in on the off chance they've been done right.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I was afraid the ridiculous positive reviews would sway it more but the metacritic score is actually getting lower:

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Any tips for recording footage of this game? I recently started using dxtory rather than FRAPs, had great results with other games I've recorded, but I tried to do a bit of colonial marines multiplayer and my framerate dropped to 16 or something, argh.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

your evil twin posted:

Any tips for recording footage of this game? I recently started using dxtory rather than FRAPs, had great results with other games I've recorded, but I tried to do a bit of colonial marines multiplayer and my framerate dropped to 16 or something, argh.

I'm really keen on MSI Afterburner, as it doesn't give a huge performance hit like FRAPS and is free unlike dxtory and FRAPS.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm only five minutes in and this is an ugly game but there's something about it I wanted to share. This isn't the only game to do it but goddamn does it stick out here and really make it look like a five year old product. For whatever reason the devs decided that objects only cast shadows on a light-per-light basis. Most lighting appears to be either baked into the world or at least not dynamic at all. This results in something that looks really flat and inconsistent. Take this table under a busted ceiling:

Hey look at that nice shadow from the flickering broken light. Neat! Now let's look at the table right next to it under a working light.

Nope no shadows at all. But hey, your flashlight is one of those lights that does cast a shadow!

There you go little table, now you don't have to feel left out. :downs:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

AlternateAccount posted:

... ... ... what?!

I'm still laughing every time this loops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

brozozo posted:

Are all those audiologs and other collectible just really well hidden? I'm pretty deep into the first mission, and I haven't come across any of them.

The audiologs have the same blue pickup glow as other items. They're usually the little netbook-type consoles. The very first is when you're finding Bella for the first time, and are going through the hive with all the live eggs. It's in a deadend in one of the wider hallways. Dogtags I've personally just found with dumb luck and random exploration, same with the EPIC weapons. ( To be fair after berating them in a earlier post, you can check their stats in the MP loadout screen. They do claim to have superior damage/accuracy. )

By the way, anyone looking to cheese the ten pistol headshots challenge, it doesn't have to be a killing shot. Easiest time to do it is during the queen fights with that big ol' cresthead of hers. Just dump a magazine in there and you're done. :toot:

• Locked thread