Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tusen Takk posted:

Honestly though if I wanted to "troll" people as I drove by them I'd rather drive slow in a Prius covered in eco-stickers and make faces at SUV's and pickups.

This isn't trolling.

front wing flexing posted:

This but drive slow in a prius that has a V-8 swap and then destroy the rubber out of nowhere for no loving reason.

I like the kid's car, he definitely tries too hard and not trying but the car is still cool.

This is close.

I think the ideal situation would be a Prius with a 4bt swap and a smoke tune so you can fog out fellow Prius drivers that give you a smile and a thumbs-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This isn't trolling.

This is close.

I think the ideal situation would be a Prius with a 4bt swap and a smoke tune so you can fog out fellow Prius drivers that give you a smile and a thumbs-up.

Smoke out the guys with the lifted Super Duties and we've got a winner.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

parrhesia posted:

Yeah, he's trying too hard but the basic idea behind the car is one I totally dig.

But this car is basically a crappy punk song on wheels. When you're still living with your parents and in your late teens (or early twenties I guess?) it's totally cool because SHUT UP MOM I DO WHAT I WANT. Then, once you're older, you look back on the lyrics and you wonder how you could ever listen to this without being completely embarrassed immediately.

Depends which era of punk I guess. I don't think anybody who listened to the Kennedy's or Bad Brains or Flag looks back and thinks "That music was silly"

It's the hilarious light weight stuff like NOFX or anything related to Travis Barker that people are embarrassed about.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I don't check this thread daily to see how much it derails, I check it for awesome AI stuff.

Honestly, I think this thread needs a rule that every post must have a pic.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

GramCracker posted:

I don't understand how this isn't a rule already

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GramCracker posted:

I don't check this thread daily to see how much it derails, I check it for awesome AI stuff.

Especially pics that don't break tables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7Dnse8yLs

Darius's 240z has a facelift.

You may remember his car from the early 2000's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWxCv13njCQ

jonathan fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 12, 2013

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

jonathan posted:

Depends which era of punk I guess. I don't think anybody who listened to the Kennedy's or Bad Brains or Flag looks back and thinks "That music was silly"

It's the hilarious light weight stuff like NOFX or anything related to Travis Barker that people are embarrassed about.
Well yeah, it's why I used the qualifier "crappy". I was thinking of bands like Blink. Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains or Black Flag aren't crappy so they wouldn't fit the bill.

Now have some Renault R4s.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
url'd because large thumbnail on imgur for some reason is coming up as loving colossal image currently. Sorry about that.
http://i.imgur.com/xusRy9G.jpg

found here:
http://www.observethebanana.com/category/vehicles/

Also this came up when I was searching for beetle related things:
http://ontoplanbthen.wordpress.com/category/niva/
Not a whole lot on its own but dear god the url. I'm kind of looking for one because it's the path I didn't travel, purchasing the beetle instead, and am now looking for one again. I know there's a word for that but it escapes me.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

It would appear this car has an inline 8 with 16 exhaust ports. Is that correct? If so, :aaa:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Does it also have leaf springs in the back? :hist101:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I love the lack of any and all restraining equipment. People were made differently back then. I don't see where the driver could store his massive balls in that cockpit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Carteret posted:

I love the lack of any and all restraining equipment. People were made differently back then. I don't see where the driver could store his massive balls in that cockpit.

That's totally safe. They even put a little heat shield on the exhaust where your arm might touch it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Carteret posted:

I wouldn't have any issue driving that around. Well, not on my route to the office because I'd be driven over in the crowded traffic, but someone scares the poo poo out of me by drifting into my lane each time I drive down there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Carteret posted:

"In case of accident, the driver will be thrown safely clear of the vehicle"

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

"In case of accident, the driver will be thrown safely clear of the vehicle"

Crazy thing was, it worked.

Well not all the time :(
Jim Clark was thrown free of the this wreck. Sadly, right in to the trees the surrounding trees. Note the barb wire fence that divides the track from the woods.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Left Ventricle posted:

It would appear this car has an inline 8 with 16 exhaust ports. Is that correct? If so, :aaa:

It also appears to be supercharged by a blower mounted at the front of the engine, aircraft-style.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Aurune posted:

Crazy thing was, it worked.

Well not all the time :(
Jim Clark was thrown free of the this wreck. Sadly, right in to the trees the surrounding trees. Note the barb wire fence that divides the track from the woods.

Nowadays they really want to keep you in the car.

Look how much fun he's having! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

e- he lived, it's all good. That's nightmare fuel, though.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Nowadays they really want to keep you in the car.

Look how much fun he's having! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

e- he lived, it's all good. That's nightmare fuel, though.

The wrecking and flying through the air isn't really the scary part if you are in a well designed race car like that. It's the landing-upside-down-while-on-fire part that is terrifying.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Ultimateforce's great-great-grandpappy:

Great life insurance plan:

People and cars were so much more fun and care-free back in the day :allears:

Devyl fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 13, 2013

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Carteret posted:

The wrecking and flying through the air isn't really the scary part if you are in a well designed race car like that. It's the landing-upside-down-while-on-fire part that is terrifying.

Geoff Bodine was very lucky in that crash, because he never really landed on the roof after the cage was shredded, or was hit while upside down. He should have died in all honesty, it might have been the worst racing crash I've ever seen where the driver lived.

Here's the crash if anyone has never seen it.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Carteret posted:

I don't think I've read anything quite as funny as this in a LONG time. Thank you for this.

VikingSkull posted:

Geoff Bodine was very lucky in that crash, because he never really landed on the roof after the cage was shredded, or was hit while upside down. He should have died in all honesty, it might have been the worst racing crash I've ever seen where the driver lived.

Here's the crash if anyone has never seen it.

That man shouldn't be alive. :stare: He is so lucky.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
That's some pretty AI safety equipment.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GramCracker posted:

That man shouldn't be alive. :stare: He is so lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuzCc0hBKYE

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Holy poo poo man, and you know he would have seen that car coming, just thinking "gently caress me, this is it".

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Please leave yourself an escape route. Play a game of it in normal traffic so that it's second nature when something real happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSDqEHY57Q0

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

An 18-wheeler had a blowout next to me yesterday on i-95. It was insanely loud and definitely the most terrifying thing that's happened while I was driving.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Escape path or not, a lot of those seemed unavoidable. There's sometimes just no way out of that many tons of metal heading your way.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fermunky posted:

Escape path or not, a lot of those seemed unavoidable. There's sometimes just no way out of that many tons of metal heading your way.

Sometimes, but if you can keep a clear head you might be able to choose a scenario that doesn't involve a head on. Like the ditch or guard rail hell even a pole.

Also I just realised this isn't the Trucker homoerotic story thread. I meant to post this there.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

jonathan posted:

Please leave yourself an escape route. Play a game of it in normal traffic so that it's second nature when something real happens.

Hahah, wow, the one at around 1:20 with the crane. I can just hear him saying no no no no NO NO NO NO NONONOOOOOOOO.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

jonathan posted:

Too many of those were just "welp today's the day :suicide:"

Edit:

Don't tease me, what is this from?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Its one of the tuning charts from the guys who were making that billet titanium 2000hp 4G63 that gets posted in here every so often.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Saw this today, Pretty AI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs98uHc4CC4

I've done that a few times in video games, but.. :stare:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

I'm not gonna link it, just gonna drop the name.

Don MacTavish.

Totally NSFW

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

VikingSkull posted:

Don MacTavish.

One of the first GIS results:

I'm not gonna dig any deeper. :gonk:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I'm not gonna link it, just gonna drop the name.

Don MacTavish.

Totally NSFW

Thought for a second you were talking about another accident. It wasn't, so I looked it up. Tom Pryce and Van Vuuren. So much death, the wikipedia page was enough for me to go YEP.

Just read about it, don't look for a video. :nms:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I actually saw worse than that when I was a little kid at my local track. Street stock dirt car, car flipped right in front of us and the guys seat mounts broke. He came out of the window.

It's kind of morbid, but that's partly why I'm a race fan and not a stick and ball guy. Racers know what can happen, yet they still do it. Stupid or brave, I don't know which, but it's a quality of humanity that just blows me away. Hemmingway had it right.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Nothing will ever freak me out as much as Sennas death. Watching that poo poo gives chills even though its probably one of the less gruesome racing deaths.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Wikipedia posted:

Saturday, Austrian rookie driver Roland Ratzenberger was killed during qualifying in a devastating accident when the front wing of his Simtek-Ford broke while going flat out at the fast Villeneuve right-hand bend, sending the car into a concrete wall.[99] A distraught Senna requested a track marshall to take him to the site of Ratzenberger's fatal crash. Senna was met by FIA's Medical Chief Professor Sid Watkins, who recalled that Senna was tearful, despite having only just met Ratzenberger the previous day. Professor Watkins suggested to Senna on that occasion to stop racing and go fishing (a hobby they both shared), to which Senna said he could not stop racing.

Wikipedia posted:

It was later revealed that, as medical staff examined Senna, a furled Austrian flag was found in his car—a flag that he had intended to raise in honour of Ratzenberger after the race.

drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I recommend everyone watch the documentary titled Senna, it's probably one of the best documentaries I've ever seen and it's a really sad story. The season that senna passed away he was constantly insisting that the cars were extremely unsafe to drive because of how fast and uncontrollable they were and the weekend he got in his accident there were 2 other brutal crashes.