Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Only one option, lycra!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I need those pants to go with this chalk bag:

(not mine, jealously)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Weird question, but are there any "must-have" pants people climb in?

Prana Zion stretch pants and shorts are pretty Freaking awesome. Also look good and function real good on the town.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

blurr makes some good stuff.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
My brother got me some Prana pants that I would wear non-stop in my life if I could get away with it.

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

PRADA SLUT posted:

Agree with the others above - Prana pants, shorts, capris, etc. are all pretty drat great. Nice and stretchy, easy to slap chalk off of, and actually look nice enough to wear in other settings.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Mammut makes some good summery stuff, too. But they're a lot little more pricey. None of the other brands I've looked at have particularly noteworthy pants/shorts (climbing shirts are everywhere, however).

Prana is really good (I use the Zions), just be sure to know what you're getting - almost all of their line is just cotton with a little elastic and a good cut.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 12, 2013

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I am a big fan of Prana's Zion line of mens pants. They are expensive, but great for climbing in. They make a convertible pair too, so you can wear them as shorts or long pants.

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008
Stoic makes some good all round pants my buddy swears by then and sickle had nice pants if you can find them.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

manpris.

All Too Much For Me
Aug 14, 2008
I got a pair of Rab Boulder pants on sale for just shy of £20 and they're pretty good.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
Need to get a pair of my shoes (La Sportiva Miuras) resoled. Any recommendations on where to send them? Been searching around online a bit and seems like there are quite a few options.

Some places have an option to pick your rubber. Any one want to convince me that some particular rubber is the best?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I have used Rock and Resole 6 times so far on various shoes for me and my wife - they always did a great job. I personally like the Vibram XS Grip rubber, and Rock and Resole has that. The thing I dislike about using them is that they are still in the technology stone ages. They have you print a pdf from their website (which is terrible), write your credit card info on it, and mail it to them. I think that you could probably send them a check if you knew how much the repair would be ahead of time, but I've never called them to figure out how that would work. The turn around time is reasonable though and the resole work is great, so I keep using them.

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob
Seconding Rock and Resole. Even though you snail mail everything they have a great turnaround and do fantastic work. Got my solutions and testarossas done by them.

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob
Also: Prana pants 4 lyfe. I have a pair of the stretch zion shorts and 2 pairs of the bronson pants. They look fine for everyday wear and are absurdly comfortable.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I have a pair of Five Ten Anasazi climbing shoes that I got for my birthday a year ago as a replacement for my old La Sportiva Mythos. I must be doing something wrong, because the Anasazis feel super slippery, and it feels like I don't get any grip anywhere. My Mythos are still holding up nicely and are comfortable, grippy and all-round awesome still, so I'll keep using them until they fall apart.

What am I doing wrong? For being touted by my local gyms as the best thing since sliced bread and the wheel, I am thoroughly unimpressed by the Anasazis. Thoughts?

Edit re pantschat:
I use these shorts for climbing.

Condoleezza Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 13, 2013

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
User error? Sharma did put up 15a in Anasazis. There are a variety of things that could be going on. Both shoes are relatively flat. The Mythos is a much stiffer shoe. What type terrain are you having trouble on? Steep? Vert? Slab? It is harder to toe-in in a flat shoe on steep terrain, but I'd expect you'd have the same issue in the Mythos.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Slabs, mostly. I guess I just need to use them more, but I feel less secure in my footholds when I use them.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Fanzay posted:

Slabs, mostly. I guess I just need to use them more, but I feel less secure in my footholds when I use them.

I have found that brand new climbing shoes are somewhat slippery, and they get more grippy as you break them in. You say you got these a year ago though so I suspect that isn't the case here. (Unless you really haven't worn them much at all yet?)

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
:ssh: No, I haven't :negative:

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
pantschat: i wear cheap khakis that i find on amazon. I've been bouldering in a nice pair of Kenneth Cole Reaction flat front pants, they breathe well, don't get caught up, and provide some light protection against abrasion. They also cost fifteen dollars, which is kind of cool.

TotallyUnoriginal
Oct 15, 2004

Damnit bob
Pantschat is the best chat :colbert:

I also wear Levi 511s when I'm in a jeans mood, they stretch well and make my butt look good.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

12 year old pair of AB&F khakis. Long, loose, and very tough. Paint splotches, getting white with chalk dust, and my cat's taken to sleeping in them when I leave them out so there's plenty of cat hair.

:3:

they're my favorites.

(I seriously need to get some pranas)

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Pander posted:

12 year old pair of AB&F khakis. Long, loose, and very tough. Paint splotches, getting white with chalk dust, and my cat's taken to sleeping in them when I leave them out so there's plenty of cat hair.

:3:

they're my favorites.

(I seriously need to get some pranas)

I had a pair of American Eagle Field Khakis I loved climbing in until I wore the rear end through. Now I just climb in anything thats not denim. I can definitely say that jeans + alpine harness is a horrible horrible idea for gym roped climbing.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ha, I could see that. An alpine harness is bad in anything though. I wear old work pants and sometimes jeans, just anything that fits well really. I've got a good pair of cutoffs I rock in the summer.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Ha, I could see that. An alpine harness is bad in anything though. I wear old work pants and sometimes jeans, just anything that fits well really. I've got a good pair of cutoffs I rock in the summer.

You're That Guy wearing jorts at the crag. I salute you.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

pokchu posted:

You're That Guy wearing jorts at the crag. I salute you.

Shameless hipster climber reporting for duty.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I see good climbers leading in pajama pants at my gym. I wear some nylon convertible pants I got for hiking in because they're comfortable and durable, but anything that doesn't constrain your movement is fine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I've been toproping for awhile, but recently I've just been indoor bouldering.

I think my technique is all hosed up and I'm wasting energy because I'm tiring a lot faster than when I toprope (I know it's different, but it still feels like I'm doing something wrong).

Are there any videos on general technique or anything like that? I'm trying to keep my center of gravity low and keep the weight off my arms as much as possible, but I'd still like some pointers.

Grisly Grotto
Jun 17, 2003

Are sure you should fight tonight? You don't look well.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there any videos on general technique or anything like that? I'm trying to keep my center of gravity low and keep the weight off my arms as much as possible, but I'd still like some pointers.

There's one I saw the other day that I thought was pretty good - "Neil Gresham's Masterclass", bunch of general climbing techniques and stuff. Not all of it will be applicable to bouldering though.

Anyhoo, I had my first flapper today! I'm not sure why but I'm a little bit excited.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've been toproping for awhile, but recently I've just been indoor bouldering.

I think my technique is all hosed up and I'm wasting energy because I'm tiring a lot faster than when I toprope (I know it's different, but it still feels like I'm doing something wrong).

Bouldering is naturally a lot more strenuous than your equivalent roped climb. Remember to take solid rests between attempts at your project (2-5 minutes). Also, and maybe this is too basic, but hands follow feet. If you're reaching for something with your left, your left foot has to be on the wall and pushing/standing to make it easier for you to reach that next hold. As you get better it'll be practical to break that rule sometimes but it's still the best rule of thumb.

What level are you climbing at? What specifically do you find hard? Maybe even a video of yourself climbing somebody here could probably give you some pointers on your specific style.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Grisly Grotto posted:

There's one I saw the other day that I thought was pretty good - "Neil Gresham's Masterclass", bunch of general climbing techniques and stuff. Not all of it will be applicable to bouldering though.

Anyhoo, I had my first flapper today! I'm not sure why but I'm a little bit excited.

That's a good one. It is definitely a rite of passage.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

That's a good one. It is definitely a rite of passage.

What the hell are you talking about dude?

Rite of Passage is a V4/5 on Flagstaff. :colbert:

jackchaos
Aug 6, 2008
Flappers on that part of the hand mean overt gripping usually. Try climbing open hand much better for you in the long run. Also I second flagging. Try climbing so that you can't hear your feet. Making you focus on foot placement

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

jackchaos posted:

Flappers on that part of the hand mean overt gripping usually. Try climbing open hand much better for you in the long run. Also I second flagging. Try climbing so that you can't hear your feet. Making you focus on foot placement

He's obviously still in the stage of climbing where he's gripping mostly jugs, so grip style doesn't have much do do with it. More likely he's just got soft hands still. And telling someone to flag is a bizarre over simplification of the technique, there's mayyyyybe a little more nuance to that.

Quiet feet is a good drill though.

Grisly Grotto
Jun 17, 2003

Are sure you should fight tonight? You don't look well.
Well, it was a big juggy boulder problem I did that on. You have to transition from being almost horizontal with your feet to the left to the same but on the other side. It was when I was getting my feet over that this happened - swung a bit wildly and came off, tore my hand a bit in doing so. I definitely need to try to climb "quieter" though - I get a bit wild and sloppy when trying harder stuff. I've only been climbing for around 4 months, so my hands are still pretty soft which probably doesn't help.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
So I have been climbing for two months now and have been wondering if there was a particular weight workout that would be most beneficial for my progress. What I have been doing so far has been Starting Strength three times a week, followed by around 30 minutes of climbing; and about 1 hour of climbing on the two days between. SS is great because it fits my restrictions for weights (basically just have a lifting cage and a set of dumbbells) but I feel it is targeting muscles that are not my weak point in climbing. While back strength is obviously going to be important, I don't know if I need such a leg focus.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
You will probably hear this a lot, but the best exercise you can be doing for climbing is climbing. You might see some gains in your climbing ability from pull ups, but even that will only really help you on overhung routes. At two months in, you primarily need grip strength/endurance and technique to progress.

It sounds like you aren't really getting in much climbing time - I climb 8-10 hours a week at my gym, broken up over three days.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I think the 2nd best exercise for climbing is yoga. Flexibility, balance, the body awareness to be able to move in very controlled ways, plus major shoulder and core strength are all huge for climbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Ingenium posted:

So I have been climbing for two months now and have been wondering if there was a particular weight workout that would be most beneficial for my progress. What I have been doing so far has been Starting Strength three times a week, followed by around 30 minutes of climbing; and about 1 hour of climbing on the two days between. SS is great because it fits my restrictions for weights (basically just have a lifting cage and a set of dumbbells) but I feel it is targeting muscles that are not my weak point in climbing. While back strength is obviously going to be important, I don't know if I need such a leg focus.

No need for a leg focus, if you can walk up a set of stairs you have all the leg muscle you need for climbing. Leg flexibility helps though. Really the best way to train for climbing is to climb. You could probably add one more day to your weekly climbing routine, but you're pretty much doing it all right already. The weight training is a good way to avoid the muscle imbalances otherwise out of shape beginner climbers get, so keep it up.

IMO, specifically targeting muscles to work out (hangboard training, pull-ups) while climbing as a beginner is a great way to get a tendon injury.