Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Christa is the best. Cheering for Ymir as the tower is falling over and asking a titan to wait a minute while she goes to tell her something.

Eren looking so excited was good too. His dream finally came true :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Regarding her limbs I just assumed that when you're about to die, your in-titan body just doesn't bother to regenerate the limbs. But the thing about her being a different breed of titan, with potentially different "powers"(traits? aspects? what are these called?) also makes a lot of sense. We've been using the Factions theory for a really long time. It's possible they're not just factions, but families or bloodlines, each with unique powers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Near as I can tell, the mangling Ymir went through was just an indicator of how bad the fight got for her. We've never seen Eren take that kind of damage, but that only means that we've never seen Eren take that kind of damage.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 12, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Annie deliberately got herself devoured by a swarm of titans, but she came out of it all right.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

Annie deliberately got herself devoured by a swarm of titans, but she came out of it all right.

Annie is the best-trained titan 'pilot' we've seen so far, and pulled all sorts of crazy poo poo. Neither Eren nor Ymir seem to be quite in her league.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Goddamn Ymir is one ugly Titan. Is she... is she going to die?!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Ymir's Titian form is also fairly small compared to Annie and Eren they may be "more complete" then her.

Since Regular Titans now have a 3 for 3 record of attacking Human Titans I am even more convinced Annie wasn't controlling Regular Titans just making enough noise to attract them to her.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Wow when was the last time a chapter ended on a positive note? Unless she just died... Still, gently caress yea and Eren you dumbass.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

.Clash posted:

Wow when was the last time a chapter ended on a positive note? Unless she just died... Still, gently caress yea and Eren you dumbass.

I really dont think she is going to die: if she is like Eren at all, she will regenerate her wounds fast

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

.Clash posted:

Honestly, in this manga dieing after protecting your friends and inspiring someone to stop hiding is as close as you can get to a happy ending.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I thought her dying at the end there was sort of unambiguous. It's pretty much accepted that when a character holds up the head of another injured character, drops some exposition on them, and the injured character closes their eyes, that dude just died. I mean, sure, it's not the case 100% of the time(Thanks Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, it was a good joke) but it's pretty drat close.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
As soon as I saw someone saying "Yay my first kill as a scout!!" I was 90% sure he was going to get eaten in the next panel.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Even if Ymir doesn't regenerate her arm and leg overnight, she will the next time she goes into Titan form.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
So many potential :cry: moments in this chapter. Just like every other chapter!

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Elias_Maluco posted:

It doest not makes much sense, and that never happened to Eren. Perhaps she was bitten after she fell and was getting eaten by the other titans? Or perhaps it means she is really a different kind of human-titan than Eren.

If I remember right, one of the times Eren transformed they talked about cutting his arms and legs off to be able to pull him out of his titan body. Also this.

RatHat posted:

Even if Ymir doesn't regenerate her arm and leg overnight, she will the next time she goes into Titan form.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

booksnake posted:

If I remember right, one of the times Eren transformed they talked about cutting his arms and legs off to be able to pull him out of his titan body. Also this.

But that wanst what the poster I was responding to said. He suggested that Ymir titan limbs were cut and that reflected in her real body, That didnt happen to Eren or Annie

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I'm assuming that as a smaller titian, her real body is taking up a lot more room inside it. The way they were ripping into the titan body, it makes sense she could have lost a limb or 2.

I want to return to my theory that titanness can be spread by bites. We've seen exactly one guy get bit and survive, and already he's acting strangely.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Elias_Maluco posted:

But that wanst what the poster I was responding to said. He suggested that Ymir titan limbs were cut and that reflected in her real body, That didnt happen to Eren or Annie

Eren and Annie are human-titans. Ymir looks like she might be a titan-human. If that's the case the effects of damage in titan mode could be quite different.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
I feel like there's an implication in her telling the Titan to stop. As if she assumes there's a way to talk to a Titan?

Saradiart fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 12, 2013

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gyges posted:

Eren and Annie are human-titans. Ymir looks like she might be a titan-human. If that's the case the effects of damage in titan mode could be quite different.

Nah, Im more inclined to think like Dr_Amazing above: her titan body is smaller so her real limbs got cut while she was being eaten by dozens of titans.

I think there are probably different kinds races of titans and human-titans, but titan-human relantionship thing works the same for all of then. Keep in mind that she used the exactly same method to transform (self-hurting) than Eren and Annie

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Annie is the best-trained titan 'pilot' we've seen so far, and pulled all sorts of crazy poo poo. Neither Eren nor Ymir seem to be quite in her league.

Yup, Annie have enough stamina to transform from human to Titan, multiple times in the same day, focusing her regeneration one spot at a time, and skin hardening. Ymir and Eren don't seem to able any of that. Side note, I told you Christa wasn't her real name, :smug:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ymir was using the skin hardening on her hands to climb the tower and maybe when she was throwing the chunks of it at the titans.

Lepecard
May 19, 2009
Soiled Meat

Oh Snapalope posted:

Where can I get one!

I haven't had any luck finding these online.

Also, on page 14 of chapter 41 I thought for a brief moment that Ymir had the ability to go through walls!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Vincent Valentine posted:

I thought her dying at the end there was sort of unambiguous. It's pretty much accepted that when a character holds up the head of another injured character, drops some exposition on them, and the injured character closes their eyes, that dude just died. I mean, sure, it's not the case 100% of the time(Thanks Kung Pow: Enter the Fist, it was a good joke) but it's pretty drat close.

At the same time, I feel like it would be completely fitting in this manga for the chapter to end on an I-can-die-happy-now eyes closing scene only for her to survive in the next chapter. But then again, that would mean she might exposition fairy away some mystery, and that can't happen, so she's gotta die.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I'm assuming that as a smaller titian, her real body is taking up a lot more room inside it. The way they were ripping into the titan body, it makes sense she could have lost a limb or 2.

I want to return to my theory that titanness can be spread by bites. We've seen exactly one guy get bit and survive, and already he's acting strangely.

Yeah, the zombie apocalypse scenario is looking a lot more likely from the last half dozen chapters.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lepecard posted:

Also, on page 14 of chapter 41 I thought for a brief moment that Ymir had the ability to go through walls!

In a sense, she does.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

At the same time, I feel like it would be completely fitting in this manga for the chapter to end on an I-can-die-happy-now eyes closing scene only for her to survive in the next chapter. But then again, that would mean she might exposition fairy away some mystery, and that can't happen, so she's gotta die.

Yeah, the zombie apocalypse scenario is looking a lot more likely from the last half dozen chapters.

Ah c'mon, you can't blame Reiner for being slightly out of it, he just found out that the Titan who killed his family (intentionally or not) turned out to be someone he knew. To me, the reason he squeezed Christa leg like that since he's irrationally pissed at her for hiding the fact that Ymir is a Titan, even though Christa didn't know

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 250 days!
I could see feral Titan-ism being an infectious disease. Perhaps bites cause it (not a major cause because so few people survive being bitten), but the hairy titans can inflect it somehow. That would explain how the village could have been turned into Titans as well.

I'm thinking that there are four types of Titan at least:
1) the Hairy Titans. I'm thinking that these may even be a non-human race.

2) Feral Titans. Humans infected with a disease making them brainless titans.

3) Manmade Titans: created by human technology, including Erin and Annie and the Wall Titans. Perhaps comes from vaccinating a human from the virus. Maybe the virus was created as a side effect of human attempts to gain the powers of the Hairy Titans, if I'm right about them being the naturally occurring form of Titan. Perhaps the Wall Titans were created as an early attempt to develop this process, but not at the completed stage and couldn't use their powers for anything else and still retain control of themselves?

4) Recovered Ferals: Feral Titans who have a genetic resistance to the virus (or something) that lets them potentially regain control of themselves naturally. Ymir.

This is all pure speculation piled atop pure speculation of course.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Eh, if Titanism is caused by a disease, I don't think it'd be spread by biting. The scouting legion has come back with all sorts of injuries, it's a stretch to assume no one ever got saved, while being in the process of being bitten, by a teammate.

Actually, maybe if they did the secret society that's obviously attached to the church took them in and trained them as titan pilots. This is the best series when it comes to rampant speculation.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Eh, if Titanism is caused by a disease, I don't think it'd be spread by biting. The scouting legion has come back with all sorts of injuries, it's a stretch to assume no one ever got saved, while being in the process of being bitten, by a teammate.

Actually, maybe if they did the secret society that's obviously attached to the church took them in and trained them as titan pilots. This is the best series when it comes to rampant speculation.

We see a lot of injured people but it would be really rare for someone to get a hand or something bitten off and not bleed to death by the time they got him home. The only survivor we've seen was an exceptionally small titan. It was basically just a really big guy. Injuries we saw could easily be explained by, crushing, being slapped out of the air and other swinging accidents.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Goddamn it Eren get to your dad's house already I don't want to wait five more years to see what's down there goddamn.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Thoren posted:

Goddamn it Eren get to your dad's house already I don't want to wait five more years to see what's down there goddamn.

The basement is just going to contain a note that says the real information is hidden inside an empty brandy bottle inside an old tower that stands within sight of the middle wall.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

He's gonna get in the basement and it's just going to be bongs and pink floyd albums, humanities greatest treasures from a lost age.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Vincent Valentine posted:

He's gonna get in the basement and it's just going to be bongs and pink floyd albums, humanities greatest treasures from a lost age.
Now my interpretation of the titan Connie saw laying on his house is that it was stoned out of its mind and just sort of crashed there. It'd fit with the way it looked at Connie :feelsgood:

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
Titanism is caused by some really awesome weed. It's the ultimate high.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
No wonder Titans are so hungry.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
New chapter is out in Japanese. Won't say anything even in spoiler tags since it's not been scanlated yet, but... Holy poo poo. That was a Chapter.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

AnonSpore posted:

New chapter is out in Japanese. Won't say anything even in spoiler tags since it's not been scanlated yet, but... Holy poo poo. That was a Chapter.

Link me? I can't find it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This chapter is the dumbest thing.

Lenaway posted:

Link me? I can't find it.

There is a thread on Mangahelpers with spoiler summaries. The raw is at the bottom of the page to download.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What? It was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy

RatHat posted:

There is a thread on Mangahelpers with spoiler summaries. The raw is at the bottom of the page to download.

Thank you, I really appreciate it.