Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

"The Beast is Dead" Front;

Back;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Earth posted:

Please tell me that you took this picture and can tell me what area of the country so I know to never live there.

Nah, found it on imgur. But the picture description did mention it being from the South.

Late 19th century Meiji era onna-bugeisha.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

If Day (French: "Si un jour", "If one day"[1]) was a simulated Nazi invasion of the Canadian city of Winnipeg, Manitoba, and surrounding areas on February 19, 1942, during the Second World War. It was organized by the Greater Winnipeg Victory Loan organization, which was led by prominent Winnipeg businessman J. D. Perrin. The event was the largest military exercise in Winnipeg to that point.

If Day included a staged firefight between Canadian troops and volunteers dressed as German soldiers, the internment of prominent politicians, the imposition of Nazi rule, and a parade. The event was a fundraiser for the war effort: over C$3 million was collected in Winnipeg on that day. It was later the subject of a 2006 documentary, and was included in Guy Maddin's film My Winnipeg.

quote:

At 9:30 am, the Canadian troops surrendered to the Nazis and withdrew to the downtown muster point,[4] and the city was occupied. The fake Nazis began a widespread harassment campaign, sending armed troops throughout the city. A tank was driven down Portage Avenue, one of the main streets of the downtown area.[12] Some people were taken to an internment camp at Lower Fort Garry; those interned included prominent local politicians like Premier John Bracken (arrested with several members of his cabinet at a caucus meeting), Mayor John Queen, Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba Roland Fairbairn McWilliams, and visiting Norwegian ambassador to the United States Wilhelm de Morgenstierne.[10][12] One council member, Dan McClean, escaped but was recaptured after an intensive search.[7] Chief of Police George Smith avoided capture because he was dining out when soldiers arrived at his office.[16] The Union Flag at Lower Fort Garry was replaced with the swastika.[17] The city was renamed "Himmlerstadt", and Main Street was termed "Hitlerstrasse".[7][18]

Erich von Neurenberg was installed as gauleiter (provincial leader); he was assisted by George Waight, who acted as the local Gestapo chief.[7][19] Their stated purpose was to assist Hitler in his plans to take advantage of Canada's relatively low population density by colonizing the country.[3] Von Neurenberg issued the following decree, which was posted throughout the city:

quote:

This territory is now a part of the Greater Reich and under the jurisdiction of Col. Erich Von Neuremburg, Gauleiter of the Fuehrer.
No civilians will be permitted on the streets between 9:30 pm and daybreak.
All public places are out of bounds to civilians, and not more than 8 persons can gather at one time in any place.
Every householder must provide billeting for 5 soldiers.
All organizations of a military, semi-military or fraternal nature are hereby disbanded and banned. Girl Guide, Boy Scout and similar youth organizations will remain in existence but under direction of the Gauleiter and Storm troops.
All owners of motor cars, trucks and buses must register same at Occupation Headquarters where they will be taken over by the Army of Occupation.
Each farmer must immediately report all stocks of grain and livestock and no farm produce may be sold except through the office of the Kommandant of supplies in Winnipeg. He may not keep any for his own consumption but must buy it back through the Central Authority in Winnipeg.
All national emblems excluding the Swastika must be immediately destroyed.
Each inhabitant will be furnished with a ration card, and food and clothing may only be purchased on presentation of this card.
The following offences will result in death without trial
Attempting to organize resistance against the Army of Occupation
Entering or leaving the province without permission.
Failure to report all goods possessed when ordered to do so.
Possession of firearms.
No one will act, speak or think contrary to our decrees.[3]
Notices were posted on churches forbidding worship services, and priests who objected were arrested.[4] Buses were stopped and their passengers searched by armed troops.[15] The Winnipeg Tribune was renamed Das Winnipeger Lügenblatt ("The Winnipeg Lies-sheet"), a Nazi publication featuring heavily censored columns and a front page written almost entirely in German.[12][20] One satirical story noted that "this is a great day for Manitoba ...The Nazis, like Der Fuehrer, are patient, kind and tolerant, but THEIR PATIENCE IS RAPIDLY EXHAUSTED BECOMING",[21] while another included an "official joke", approved by the German authorities, at which all readers were ordered to laugh or be imprisoned.[22] Henry Weppler, a newspaper seller for the Winnipeg Free Press was attacked and his papers ripped up.[7][15] The Winnipeg Free Press featured a front-page story about the "invasion", describing in great detail the devastation caused by the Nazis in Winnipeg.[6]

Books were burned in front of the main Carnegie branch of the Winnipeg Public Library (the books had been pre-selected for incineration as damaged or outdated).[7][23] Soldiers entered the cafeteria at Great West Life and stole lunches from workers.[10] They seized buffalo coats from the police station and wore them throughout the day, as the temperature was below −8 °C (18 °F). At one local elementary school, the principal was arrested and replaced with a Nazi educator dedicated to teaching the "Nazi Truth"; special lessons were prepared for high-school students throughout the city.[5][7] Some stores and homes were looted by the fake troops. Canadian currency was replaced with fake German Reichsmarks, the only propaganda notes that Canada created during the war.[7][12][13][24]

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Best video I've seen in ages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPOvYlLQcDc

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WFTHpOw8Y

Björk talking about her TV. She has no college degree, so she may find it hard to perform in China.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Too late

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLCFRo1GlEI

quote:

"I have been asked by many for a statement after dedicating my song 'Declare Independence' to both Kosovo and Tibet on different occasions," Björk said yesterday. "I am not a politician; I am first and last a musician, and as such I feel my duty to try to express the whole range of human emotions … ['Declare Independence'] was written more with the personal in mind but the fact that it has translated to its broadest meaning, the struggle of a suppressed nation, gives me much pleasure. I would like to wish all individuals and nations good luck in their battle for independence. Justice!"

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

TyChan posted:

A man dressed as a 'Momotxorro' a natural entity made of bones and sheep skin walks to take part in a carnival in the Basque village of Zubieta on Jan. 28. In one of the most ancient carnivals in Europa , dating from before the Roman empire, companies of Joaldunak (cowbells) and Momotxorros parade between the villages of Zubieta and Ituren.

Interesting, would the Momotxorro be related to the wildman folk mythologies of other Europeans? During the middle ages belief in wildmen was common in France and beyond, and masked dancers dressed in costumes of flax stuck together with resen frequently appeared in rural festivals. It was generally disproved of by the church and possibly derivative of pre-Christian pagan religions. Sometimes stuffed wildmen were burned in effigy as a fertility ritual, some might say sacrifice. In 1393 During a party held by King Charles VI of France later called the Bal des Ardents (The Ball of the Burning Men) the King and five other courtly nobles appeared disguised in wildman costumes spitting curses at guests and dancing in a mad frenzy. Unfortunately it turns out it's a terrible idea to cover yourself in pine resin and dance near lit torches. Four of the dancers burned to death while King Charles would suffer frequent and intermittent bouts of insanity in the aftermath.

click for big

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

North Korea's Nuclear Test Facility on Nuclear Test Road. 41.2N 129.3E.

Click on the dot to rate this nuclear test facility and post reviews.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Squalid posted:

Interesting, would the Momotxorro be related to the wildman folk mythologies of other Europeans? During the middle ages belief in wildmen was common in France and beyond, and masked dancers dressed in costumes of flax stuck together with resen frequently appeared in rural festivals. It was generally disproved of by the church and possibly derivative of pre-Christian pagan religions. Sometimes stuffed wildmen were burned in effigy as a fertility ritual, some might say sacrifice. In 1393 During a party held by King Charles VI of France later called the Bal des Ardents (The Ball of the Burning Men) the King and five other courtly nobles appeared disguised in wildman costumes spitting curses at guests and dancing in a mad frenzy. Unfortunately it turns out it's a terrible idea to cover yourself in pine resin and dance near lit torches. Four of the dancers burned to death while King Charles would suffer frequent and intermittent bouts of insanity in the aftermath.

Minor correction--Charles VI suffered bouts of insanity prior to the ball as well, including the event depicted below, in which he killed several of his own men in the delusion that they were traitors. He had rather severe mental illness (such as believing himself to be made out of glass) that, while it probably wasn't helped by the ball, wasn't caused by it either.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 18, 2014

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aw, drat you...

EDIT: Guess I shouldn't be a non-context-giving jerk. That was an impromptu memorial for the Canadian opposition politician pictured above, who died of cancer shortly after leading his party to its strongest election results ever.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 12, 2013

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Björk gives few fucks, one of the bands she was in was called: "Plug Bitchass" which is a hell of a name for a band.
Hows that whole "Rogue Cop" thing working out btw?

Dude has 2 legs and 2 hands after all~

Artist: Peepshow

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

"The institutions that made America great must be destroyed."

This kind of sentiment is too loving stupid. Slavery, imperialism, capitalism and rampant, catastrophic deregulation leading to massive environmental damage has made a lot of countries great (in the sense that that they have a higher GDP, higher quality of living for anyone not caught under the boot and a higher degree of technological progress). The western world wouldn't have been what it was if it wasn't for colonialism. Institutions are torn down all the time (and then they rise again in a different form), and rightly so.

Really; if the result of every traditional American institution's downfall was a better world, then tear the fuckers down. Nationalistic sentimentality is sickening.

Someone wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a heavy bag was overheard saying something threatening on a bus in Oslo. Police have surrounded important buildings and are searching buses and taxies I can say with absolute certainty that no pickups will be accidentally riddled with bullets by Norwegian police.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Exactly. Because neither she nor Elton John have college degrees, they'd no longer be welcome in China. (That's what led to the idea, which has been walked back to some extent I think.)

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Poor dude; he's going to be known as the little water bottle guy for the rest of his years in DC :(

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer
Some SOTU pics.

Desiline Victor

Brian Murphy

Nathanial and Cleopatra Pendleton sitting with Michelle Obama

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
With the recent talk about min. wage hikes; my facebook has exploded and it would be great to have this pic now. I remember seeing a great info graphic showing the flawed logic in the way people think wage hikes/cuts work. It was a split image with one situation showing the business owner paying many workers at a min. wage that he was required and that money flowing from the workers into the economy/taxes and the amount of product they turn out. Then the other side showing the owner paying 1 worker a big pay check. The owner to employer movement of money was a loop, with an arrow pointing out of the loop representing taxes and money flowing into the market.

I think I saw it in this thread somewhere.

Strong Female posted:

Poor dude; he's going to be known as the little water bottle guy for the rest of his years in DC :(

Also, the Vine of the water sip shows how awkward it was better than the gif.
https://vine.co/v/bvErIBTIzOj

Kenishi fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 13, 2013

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

This makes me so :3:

quote:

This is President Obama doing an exploding fist bump with someone Sen. Mark Kirk (R - Ill.), who had a stroke in 2012, after the president's arrival and before his speech. That's right: not just an exploding fist bump, an exploding fist bump with a Republican. The state of our union is dope, y'all.

https://gawker.com/5983860

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Did the stroke mellow him out or is Mark Kirk the coolest Republican?

I did not know about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_desk#History

anonumos fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 13, 2013

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

anonumos posted:

Did the stroke mellow him out or is Mark Kirk the coolest Republican?

No he is an utter shitlord. About the only positive thing he did was call out Joe Walsh for being a bigger shitlord. Here's hoping he is out in 2016

word cloud for tonight

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Hows that whole "Rogue Cop" thing working out btw?

The LAPD burned him alive on live television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNk-bV40XMc

"Burn that loving house down"

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
A remarkably bland 'American Politician' cloud.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 13, 2013

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

No he is an utter shitlord. About the only positive thing he did was call out Joe Walsh for being a bigger shitlord. Here's hoping he is out in 2016

Apparently the stroke made him slightly less of a shitlord. http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/leslie-marshall/2013/01/04/the-healthcare-lessons-mark-kirk-learned-from-his-stroke

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh had similar "lessons" about America's health care system. Look how that turned out.

When the chips are down, power is on the side of power. He won't flip.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Biden scratched his eye on a contact lens :stonk:

CrapFish
May 11, 2004

Never stop posting

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

:stare:
Too bright, too fast. Snuff out a rogue cop. Burn notice.
All I can think up is quips. This world sometimes.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Terror Sweat posted:

Also, audio from the police scanner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCdqybEfy9w

quote:

"We're going to go ahead with the plan, go ahead with the burn"

"7 Burners deployed and we have a fire"

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClDaD7KnFOE

And a repost, but one I recently rediscovered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nMiavVQicU

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Iridium posted:

Also, audio from the police scanner.

"We're going to go ahead with the plan, go ahead with the burn"

"7 Burners deployed and we have a fire"

From the corresponding Guardian-article, for what it's worth:

Guardian posted:

3.50pm GMT update: The word "burner" may come from "BurnSafe" containers for CS gas canisters, made by the Covina-Thomas Company in Covina, California. On its website the company lists among its recent customers the LAPD, although not the San Bernardo County sheriff's office. More details soon.

Pictured: Waco, where the fire was supposedly started by CS canisters as well.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Earth fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 18, 2014

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
RIP

http://youtu.be/lxFO2A6tFcw

http://youtu.be/DvsA4Sc7IP8

It will be many years before pigs are made to feel fear like this once more.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

midnightclimax posted:

From the corresponding Guardian-article, for what it's worth:

Pictured: Waco, where the fire was supposedly started by CS canisters as well.

I'm not sure how we go from "tear gas canisters are called 'burners' " to "burn this motherfucking house down" is also innocent.

Here's the Nord-Ost Theatre, where Russia decided to deal with terrorists by gassing them AND their hostages

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
yes I'm sure the cops call tear gas canisters "burners" in normal conversation, especially since the name of the container is BurnSafe.

I mean, we all knew they were going to kill him regardless, but jesus H.

Anyhow, here's Ted Nugent last night, seated next to a gay rights activist :laugh:

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

GD_American posted:

yes I'm sure the cops call tear gas canisters "burners" in normal conversation, especially since the name of the container is BurnSafe.

I mean, we all knew they were going to kill him regardless, but jesus H.

Anyhow, here's Ted Nugent last night, seated next to a gay rights activist :laugh:

Ahahaha Jesus, he's terrified of the guy.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is that Dorner turning into a smoke demon to escape the cops? :tinfoil:

also:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I have no idea what point this is trying to make, but I feel like it's trying to insinuate that life is better for people in North Korea than it is in Libya. And that in itself is hilarious.

This is a memorial for a man killed in Syria, made out of the names of 15,000 others who were killed.

• Locked thread