Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

It sounds like it ran for a while on the verge of hydrolocking, too... and then hydrolocked. No telling if the rods are tweaked or bent at this point, if it was my car I'd definitely check that before even considering rebuilding it.

It's pointless. Along with the cost of gaskets, bearings, rings etc which will inevitably be done 'while you're there', there's the added labour VS just throwing in a second-hand one. It's a dirt-cheap, dirt-common engine known for it's ruggedness in general. Seems like a no-brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Slavvy posted:

It's pointless. Along with the cost of gaskets, bearings, rings etc which will inevitably be done 'while you're there', there's the added labour VS just throwing in a second-hand one. It's a dirt-cheap, dirt-common engine known for it's ruggedness in general. Seems like a no-brainer.

oh, I completely agree, I'm just saying... if they're going to consider fixing it, they need to look all the way into it before throwing too much money at it, to keep it from being WAY too much money.

Me, I'd head for the local yard, pull one, and buy it for no more than $120, $150-170 with a 30 day warranty, then rip the old one apart, take pictures for this thread, and turn it into a coffee table.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Well yes, I agree with what you're saying, kastein. But I look at it the other way, too. For the cost of a gasket and just 2-4 hours of your time, I'd throw a new gasket and only a new gasket in there (it's pretty easy on most 3800s, I know by experience) AND pick up a new engine. Run the "broken" one as long as you can. :tenbux: says it will still run well as long as it was just an intake manifold issue, even with a hydrolock. Yes, the engines are cheap, but as you said, they're renowned for ruggedness (second only to a few other engines, and the Jeep 4.0, which is no mere mortal and cannot be classified with anything else). I've seen them run with no oil for miles, be filled up again, and then run again for 10-20k without issue and with near full compression. Really, what's the harm in an afternoon's work of a lower head gasket replacement? It's a drop in the bucket compared to an engine pull.

Either way, though, take pictures. For the greater good.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

SimulatedWoodgrain posted:

SII 3800 in that right? What happens with those is the EGR tube that passes through the plastic upper intake gets very hot and over time makes that area brittle. No big deal right? well on either side of it run the TB coolant passages. Brittle plastic+16psi pressure from the coolant system will eventually create a awesome leak inside the upper intake, which will in turn flood the cylinders and hydrolock it. I believe Doorman makes a new upper intake kit that includes a small diameter EGR stove pipe to help prevent the same problem.

As for if the engine is toast, how long has it been run with coolant in the crankcase?

May as well pull the plugs and pump the coolant from the chambers, Put new intake gaskets on it (I prefer the GM ones to the Felpro ones) it will likely run fine. Might have a catastrophic failure in a short time afterwards. A guy I know bought a couple 3800 Olds intrigues with "siezed up engines" that just had intake failure, he repaired that and sold them off. Never had one come back to him. But how long the ran coolant in the crankcase is key.

Previous SII 3800 owner here. Also check the gasket between the throttle body and the intake manifold. In addition to the lower intake manifold gasket leaking on mine, this was also leaking allowing coolant into the the cylinders.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Not mine, but a friend's.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Not mine, but a friend's.

Silly cheap part user, lug nuts don't need spring retention.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Why/How did Lucas stay in business? I have never been able to figure that out.

Keep calm, and solder on.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Very well played. :golfclap:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

that was cold... almost as cold as their solder joints :rimshot:

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Silly cheap part user, lug nuts don't need spring retention.

Lockwire.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
This video was posted the last time someone mentioned lockwire so I just felt like posting it again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcxHQXYU-Os&feature=youtube_gdata_player

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

This video was posted the last time someone mentioned lockwire so I just felt like posting it again.

Stop posting that, it makes me mad just looking at it.

SimulatedWoodgrain
Oct 6, 2006
Just what the hell was that guy trying to accomplish that a touch of threadlock could not in that application?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SimulatedWoodgrain posted:

Just what the hell was that guy trying to accomplish that a touch of threadlock could not in that application?

I don't think threadlock is quite good enough for an aquatic jet engine that is going to spin at ridiculous speeds.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

EightBit posted:

I don't think threadlock is quite good enough for an aquatic jet engine that is going to spin at ridiculous speeds.

Fun fact, the shop that is in most of his videos is owned by my father in law.

Stainless lockwire - good for heat cycles and vibrations. Wouldn't want to swallow one of those at high rpm.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Saw this today on the way home. Would have a better shot but the firemen seemed busy standing around and I was in a hurry.
There were two guys in a man basket when it failed, no one died thankfully. I don't see how two men topple a crane unless an outrigger failed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:stonk:

So how many pounds of poo poo do you think wound up in their pants?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

"This is the main thrust bearing, it's important not to contaminate this with anything! It's like working over your open eyeball"

Immediately drops a screwdriver on main thrust bearing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I don't see how two men topple a crane unless an outrigger failed.

Plenty of ways. Poor outrigger placement (soft ground, not using plates), "short jacking" the outriggers (which requires you to override anything I've ever seen to get it out of the cradle), and/or operating out of spec, meaning out at basically a 90 degree angle fully extended......which it pretty much the position that thing looks to be in.

You need to understand that some angles and extensions are only rated at a coupe hundred pounds on those things. So two men at that particular angle and extension with a lovely outrigger job in a stiff breeze will absolutely will make that happen. Hell, you can do it just by being jerky with the controls.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Jonny Nox posted:

"This is the main thrust bearing, it's important not to contaminate this with anything! It's like working over your open eyeball"

Immediately drops a screwdriver on main thrust bearing.

This is why I love AgentJayZ. His and periodicvideos are some of my favorite channels.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I love his ":geno: I just spent 45 minutes working on that lockwire and I did it backwards and I have to start over. Now I'm pissed off. :geno:"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Previa_fun posted:

I love his ":geno: I just spent 45 minutes working on that lockwire and I did it backwards and I have to start over. Now I'm pissed off. :geno:"

My brother is doing Aviation Mech tech school and he's starting his Turbine section. I posted this on his wall and his response was "Nope, piston engines the rest of my days, gently caress that poo poo."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is it worth watching the whole 20 minute video, or are there just a couple of good parts?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Godholio posted:

Is it worth watching the whole 20 minute video, or are there just a couple of good parts?

It's basically a guy just taking a long time to try & run the lockwire. His biggest problem was he wasn't using math & science when he did it. instead of trying to pull the wire through from the top like that, he should've coiled it around the inside a few times. The angle of the wire wouldn't have been such a problem for him when he was pulling it through the bolts and he could have done it in half the time. Also, before putting them down in there, he shoulda made sure the holes were lined up instead of just going blind.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Godholio posted:

The realization he hosed up is around 6:20 and it's palpable and hilarious. Of course if it had been me I'd probably be throwing poo poo across the garage. :v:

Otherwise it's pretty boring unless you're into lock wiring things I guess.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You go in thinking 20 minutes of a guy loving with jet engine parts would be boring, and then you realize you've binged his entire channel over a weekend :stare:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Devyl posted:

Also, before putting them down in there, he shoulda made sure the holes were lined up instead of just going blind.

The bolts still have to be torqued to spec. So you can't just back one out half a turn to make the lockwire easier to thread.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

The bolts still have to be torqued to spec. So you can't just back one out half a turn to make the lockwire easier to thread.

You could mark the heads so at least you know where the holes are... But yes, there's no way to "line up" the bolts, unless you keep trying different bolts until one lines up perfectly.

And yes, I blew a large part of my past two nights watching his videos. The Orenda Iroquois looks awesome, and I applaud his efforts to restore it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Ask me about lock-wiring a Doppler Antenna on a C-130....:smithicide:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Yeah, y'all are right; there would've been no way to perfectly line them up. That's why Sharpies were made :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Devyl posted:

Yeah, y'all are right; there would've been no way to perfectly line them up. That's why Sharpies were made :)

They never completely line up correctly, the hole for the lock wire is always drilled in the same spot, but the threads on the bolt are often in different positions, so that they bottom out with the lockwire hole facing different ways.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I've seen lockwire bolts with two sets of holes perpendicular to each other, so the worst you could be off axis was 90 degrees.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

I've seen lockwire bolts with two sets of holes perpendicular to each other, so the worst you could be off axis was 90 degrees.

I've seen those too, I don't know how common they are.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

They never completely line up correctly, the hole for the lock wire is always drilled in the same spot, but the threads on the bolt are often in different positions, so that they bottom out with the lockwire hole facing different ways.
Yep. Unless the drawing specifically says so, the lockwiring holes are never set to line up with anything in particular, they just get drilled through the head or thread as per the position shown in the drawing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

That's 1.5" chain...

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
Looks more like 1.5" tubing.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

sharkytm posted:

That's 1.5" chain...

With time, seawater and a bit of swell...

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008
Since we're on the subject of cable breaking. The only fatality from this 86 car pileup in Cincinnati was a 12 year old girl standing on the median who was struck by a median cable from another accident down the highway. I didn't even think those cables were under that much pressure.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20130122/NEWS01/301220042/Girl-killed-275-pileup-mourned

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
A customer brings in his 2002 Tahoe for a front end check and asks if I can find an oil leak, and to look into why his 4-wheel drive stopped working. In addition to typical wear in the steering linkage, I see this:

Not pictured was the steady drip trail it left on the shop floor on the way in and out.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Did you tell him that he needs a new axle? That thing will grenade very soon and may cause quite a collision when his front wheels lock up :ohdear: