Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Jace Madan posted:

I got my pre-order copy in tonight. I'm debating whether or not to return it, I have a feeling it will pull a "Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon city" on me and go down to $20 in a few months.

Oh just return the friggin thing and get it for a discount later on. Best ending for your patience is you save 20-40 dollars and get a patched game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

TommorowComesToday posted:

Saw this on another game forum, posted anonymously on Reddit. :spergin:

http://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/18ewf4/a_lot_of_you_are_rightfully_upset_at_the_final/

Basically, gently caress Gearbox. BL2 wasn't good enough to justify this poo poo.

I've been enjoying the trainwreck of this game's release (after seeing a playthrough of an early level I went from "maybe pre-order" to "don't buy, probably poo poo") and was wondering how Gearbox could poo poo out this turd. I had assumed it was like Duke Nukem Forever where another dev was initially tied to it, not that they decided to outsource it. Thanks for the link.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TOOT BOOT posted:

It was good for the time, hell, one of the Aliens Versus Predator thing cribbed from a little (In that you went a good long while before even seeing an Alien).

It was really good. It had the largest levels of any Doom-related product at the time which was very impressive. If you've ever played EYE: Divine Cybermancy, places like the hangars and the atmospheric processor levels had that caliber of epic vertical space to them and it would just about break the engine in some instances. It also is, I believe, the first FPS to have no enemies at all in the first level and just atmosphere building via cunning use of triggers and voice samples from the movie. This was unheard of at the time in FPS and it's inspired many imitators.

Man that AOL Aliens game was so good. I though it was interesting how the marine players would have access to a private chat room and level information before the match started while the alien players would get no prep period and would have to coordinate in game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Man that AOL Aliens game was so good. I though it was interesting how the marine players would have access to a private chat room and level information before the match started while the alien players would get no prep period and would have to coordinate in game.
Given the way the initial hatchery battle played out in 'Aliens' you'd think that would be reversed. :v:

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

http://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/18ewf4/a_lot_of_you_are_rightfully_upset_at_the_final/

Basically, gently caress Gearbox. BL2 wasn't good enough to justify this poo poo.

Yeah, I am still going to blame Gearbox for this travesty. First off, because all this crap I keep hearing sounds like hearsay other than the Sega announcement. Second off, the development was given to Gearbox, and they didn't even check up on the game that they apparently outsourced?

I am not letting them get away with DNF and I am not letting them get away with this. They need to own up to their pedigree.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

blackguy32 posted:

Yeah, I am still going to blame Gearbox for this travesty. First off, because all this crap I keep hearing sounds like hearsay other than the Sega announcement. Second off, the development was given to Gearbox, and they didn't even check up on the game that they apparently outsourced?

I am not letting them get away with DNF and I am not letting them get away with this. They need to own up to their pedigree.

They'll slather their name all over something that does extremely well (Borderlands) but completely try to dissociate from their flops? Yeah, no. I understand downplaying a title and not really drawing attention to it, but immediately assigning blame to others, acting as if the issue doesn't exist beyond the failure of others, and then pretending like they had nothing to do with the part of the game that's drawing the most criticism?

Bullshit, too many developers get away with this sort of poo poo, and we're still stuck in "It's all the publisher's fault." land where developers can do no wrong, this isn't 90's EA or 80's Nintendo anymore, the fact that they're deflecting responsibility is scummy, and the fact that they handed off a broken product to a contracted developer with likely only a small fraction of the resources and manpower? Yeah no, they knew it was going to be a failure, and they set up their contingency plan, although NOT before they decided to hype up the game as much as possible so that they could at least peel away as many dollars as possible.
They knew it was going to be a piece of poo poo, yet they still advertised and hyped the gently caress out of it, and then they deflected all responsibility for its mediocrity (and that's a generous descriptor) to the very people that they themselves contracted it out to?

gently caress you, Gearbox.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

blackguy32 posted:

I am not letting them get away with DNF

There was no way that game was not going to be a trainwreck, and they pushed out that piece of poo poo to collect whatever profits they could on it without doing any of the work. Judge them for being mercenary if you like, but I would've done the exact same thing if I had the opportunity. People who didn't cancel their pre-orders for DNF deserve what they got, and to be quite honest I think the circus that surrounded its release was worth the price of admission.

This game, on the other hand...

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Why do those screens look way way way better than everything I've seen on youtube so far?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Let's also take a moment to acknowledge the fact that at the time TimeGate was subcontracted to, they were the guys who'd made 3 very mediocre F.E.A.R. expansions- metacriticing at 6-7. Kind-of-okay developers like that aren't who you give a product to if you want it to be done well, and you sure as hell don't subcontract to them and then fail to check in for 5 years.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't actually remember which one it was, but the F.E.A.R. expansion I played I thought was pretty drat sweet so TimeGate's okay in my book. I actually feel kind of bad for them. Whether or not they put out a bad game, Gearbox's hand in this just reeks of trying to shift the blame onto a lesser liked studio and I really hope it turns around and bites them with what that SEGA official has come out and said.

I wonder how SEGA's going to proceed with the IP now, considering it's one of their main tentpoles.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

Dan Didio posted:

I wonder how SEGA's going to proceed with the IP now, considering it's one of their main tentpoles.

Give it to monolith and let the work their magic on the franchise again.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

All this is making me feel dirty for buying Borderlands 2.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

I don't actually remember which one it was, but the F.E.A.R. expansion I played I thought was pretty drat sweet so TimeGate's okay in my book. I actually feel kind of bad for them. Whether or not they put out a bad game, Gearbox's hand in this just reeks of trying to shift the blame onto a lesser liked studio and I really hope it turns around and bites them with what that SEGA official has come out and said.

Give it to a developer with a good reputation and let em do what they want.

I'd say Bungie, they already have experience with crafting an alien universe and the shooting in their games always felt solid, same with the A.I programming.

Basically ride off the coattails of good reputable developer and hope to god it pays off.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Dan Didio posted:

Getting that obsidian game that I hear is completed would be a nice start.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Alteisen posted:

I'd say Bungie, they already have experience with crafting an alien universe and the shooting in their games always felt solid, same with the A.I programming.

I can't see Bungie touching this, or SEGA being able to 'get' them.

Ryen Deckard posted:

Rexicon1 posted:

Getting that obsidian game that I hear is completed would be a nice start.

I think the ship has sailed on both of these prospects as well.

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa
Both Gearbox and Sega are completely culpable for it, if that reddit post is to be believed. Sega for shipping the title in this state and Gearbox for shoving it out the door rather than basically owning up to the fact that they screwed it. They deserved to be sued. But both of them of course would much rather pass this one off onto the consumers. gently caress 'em both.

Ryen Deckard posted:

Have you seen the kind of 'magic' they've been working recently? (Gotham City Imposters, and it ain't magic).

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

So the reason that this game is in shambles is because Gearbox scored a big, juicy contract and then decided to gently caress off and concentrate on their own flagship property (that is if this is true, but it is more probable than improbable). I cannot blame them for DNF. It was a garbage game that people were always going to buy simply for the spectacle. No studio on earth could have turned it into anything remotely decent without reworking it from the ground up. If you per-ordered it thinking it was going to be decent or even good...well, I'm afraid that's on you.

But this is unforgivable and nearly fraudulent. It is no surprise that Sega doesn't have their back. I'm kind of sympathetic towards the publisher and especially everyone that per-ordered it without knowing. I hope no one with a decent IP decides to work with Gearbox after this, knowing that it'll just be ignored, endlessly delayed and eventually contracted out while they actually work on another Borderlands game.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

So the reason that this game is in shambles is because Gearbox scored a big, juicy contract and then decided to gently caress off and concentrate on their own flagship property (that is if this is true, but it is more probable than improbable). I cannot blame them for DNF. It was a garbage game that people were always going to buy simply for the spectacle. No studio on earth could have turned it into anything remotely decent without reworking it from the ground up. If you per-ordered it thinking it was going to be decent or even good...well, I'm afraid that's on you.

But this is unforgivable and nearly fraudulent. It is no surprise that Sega doesn't have their back. I'm kind of sympathetic towards the publisher and especially everyone that per-ordered it without knowing. I hope no one with a decent IP decides to work with Gearbox after this, knowing that it'll just be ignored, endlessly delayed and eventually contracted out while they actually work on another Borderlands game.
DNF was rebuilt from the ground up, though. Likely several times judging from the screens we've gotten over the years. Gearbox had all the time in the world and they still hosed up. All they had to do was create a fun 3D Duke Nukem game, that's it. It had no restrictions placed on it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

rizuhbull posted:

All they had to do was create a fun 3D Duke Nukem game, that's it.

The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that this is even possible. :colbert:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

rizuhbull posted:

DNF was rebuilt from the ground up, though. Likely several times judging from the screens we've gotten over the years. Gearbox had all the time in the world and they still hosed up. All they had to do was create a fun 3D Duke Nukem game, that's it. It had no restrictions placed on it.

Eh, 3D Realms had all the time in the world. Gearbox had a couple months.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

After showing my father, who is a rabid Alien/Aliens fan, the trailers/gameplay for this he literally cringed with disgust. It's a shame because I was looking forward to enjoying the story with him. ACM is just another title to add to the mountains of garbage associated with the Alien franchise. I'll probably play it eventually with some buddies from uni.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that this is even possible. :colbert:
Haven't played it myself (not a fan of the series) but Duke Nukem 3D is a great game, isn't it?

30.5 Days posted:

Eh, 3D Realms had all the time in the world. Gearbox had a couple months.
Why only a couple months? Were they paying for the license by month? Did 2K tell them "put it out this year or you're gone"? Bottom line is they had a poo poo product on their hands, and decided to release it anyway.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 13, 2013

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If you pre-ordered this game after seeing what Gearbox shat out with Duke Nukem, especially with Pitchford's incessant hyping of it, you got exactly what you deserved.

Gearbox has made one good game in the recent past, I don't know why people keep buying into their hype.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

rizuhbull posted:

Haven't played it myself (not a fan of the series) but Duke Nukem 3D is a great game, isn't it?

For the era it was released in? Yeah. It hasn't aged well, but it was quite good when it was new.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I'm laughing waaaay too much at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J8SzBhjqaQ

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

quote:

The Duke Nukem Forever Gearbox "worked" on was the same one 3DRealms was making between 2007-2009. All they did was patch together all the complete/nearly complete levels then save all the unfinished ones for that even more awful Clones DLC.
It's funny some people are talking about how everyone expected it to suck since in the official thread this forum had back then everyone was circlejerking about how it was going to own. The discussions after the demo came out were hilarious and it's too bad the thread was deleted.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

GUI posted:

The Duke Nukem Forever Gearbox "worked" on was the same one 3DRealms was making between 2007-2009. All they did was patch together all the complete/nearly complete levels then save all the unfinished ones for that even more awful Clones DLC.
It's funny some people are talking about how everyone expected it to suck since in the official thread this forum had back then everyone was circlejerking about how it was going to own. The discussions after the demo came out were hilarious and it's too bad the thread was deleted.
And what's their execuse for the glitches? Or the segments that drag on and on and on? They couldn't end the lovely mini-driving section earlier? This on top of the fact they released it with their name under the pretense that it was Gearbox quality. That quality, as we're learning, is awful to average at best. Being empathetical makes sense when it's obvious they company has been screwed over (Obsidian), but not when it's their own fault.

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 13, 2013

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

rizuhbull posted:

Why only a couple months? Were they paying for the license by month? Did 2K tell them "put it out this year or you're gone"? Bottom line is they had a poo poo product on their hands, and decided to release it anyway.

Here is the wiki link to Gearbox's involvement on DNF. Basically, it seems like they didn't do much besides a small amount of developing, polishing and a console port. DNF is very much a 3D Realms game with minor help from Gearbox.

EDIT: I cannot blame them for rushing out a game with a history as poisonous as DNF's to help cover the cost of a license. I stick to my opinion that you could not judge Colonial Marines on Gearobx's performance on DNF, a game that was not made entirely by them.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 13, 2013

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Multiplayer from the looks of it looks decent enough. The one thing that doesnt' seem to be mentioned alot though that I noticed right away is that I just feel like the aliens should be way faster in MP.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

rizuhbull posted:

And what's their execuse for the glitches? Or the segments that drag on and on and on? They couldn't end the lovely mini-driving section earlier? This on top of the fact they released it with their name under the pretense that it was Gearbox quality. That quality, as we're learning, is awful to average at best. Being empathetical makes sense when it's obvious they company has been screwed over (Obsidian), but not when it's their own fault.

Because they knew that despite professional reviews people would buy it anyway due to its infamous development cycle. Thankfully for the gaming industry, Forever still bombed in sales.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

GUI posted:

Because they knew that despite professional reviews people would buy it anyway due to its infamous development cycle. Thankfully for the gaming industry, Forever still bombed in sales.
It shows Gearbox is to blame. That's the only point I'm trying to make. They made their bed, despite all the great opportunities they were given.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dapper Dan posted:

I doubt it's enough to sink them in many publisher's eyes, borderlands 2 was still a big hit, badonkadonks aside.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

rizuhbull posted:

You're jumping from argument to argument here. Your first post about the DNF issue was "Gearbox had all the time in the world and they still hosed up. All they had to do was create a fun 3D Duke Nukem game, that's it." which isn't true - as people pointed out they only put together what 3d Realms developed and NOT develop the game themselves from the ground up.

The issue that they released that bad game under their name is a completely different matter and doesn't speak about their game development skills but rather about their greed.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Someone linked me to this story, because I said that "Everything is canon in Alien". Apparently, it isn't:

quote:

One, the Sega-published shooter has been inducted into the “official canon” of the Alien universe by 20th Century Fox. Chris Faylor, the Community Manager for developer Gearbox Software, told us that all previous expanded universe material (including the novels, the comics, and all the Alien vs Predator stuff) has been thrown out. The only productions currently considered canon are the first four films (yes, even Alien 3), Aliens: Colonial Marines, and maybe Ridley Scott’s Prometheus (since there’s still the possibility it’s not a prequel).

If it isn't just something he's pulling out of his rear end, it actually makes me sad, as some of the comics weren't all that bad.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Palpek posted:

You're jumping from argument to argument here. Your first post about the DNF issue was "Gearbox had all the time in the world and they still hosed up. All they had to do was create a fun 3D Duke Nukem game, that's it." which isn't true - as people pointed out they only put together what 3d Realms developed and NOT develop the game themselves from the ground up.

The issue that they released that bad game under their name is a completely different matter and doesn't speak about their game development skills but rather about their greed.
I suck with words. What I'm trying to say is it's Gearbox's fault. I felt like "Gearbox didn't make DNF" (which I can understand), is an execuse, but that probably wasn't GUI's intention and instead was me misunderstanding, which is all on me.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Pretty much the only sliver of hope I have left is that the backlash from the public will be so damaging to Gearbox, Sega, and the reputation of the Aliens IP itself, to the point where they'll have no choice but to admit that they released a shoddy product and pull the game from steam to rework the entire thing into something vaguely-passable, just to save face. Buyers who didn't immediately return their purchase could get to keep the game as being a part of an "exclusive beta".

And then right afterwards Sega will release AVP 2 classic on Steam for free as an apology :smithicide:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ChickenHeart posted:

Pretty much the only sliver of hope I have left is that the backlash from the public will be so damaging to Gearbox, Sega, and the reputation of the Aliens IP itself, to the point where they'll have no choice but to admit that they released a shoddy product and pull the game from steam to rework the entire thing into something vaguely-passable, just to save face. Buyers who didn't immediately return their purchase could get to keep the game as being a part of an "exclusive beta".

And then right afterwards Sega will release AVP 2 classic on Steam for free as an apology :smithicide:

And they'll hire supermodels to parachute directly into your house to give you blowjobs while you wait on the download.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

rizuhbull posted:

I suck with words. What I'm trying to say is it's Gearbox's fault. I felt like "Gearbox didn't make DNF" (which I can understand), is an execuse, but that probably wasn't GUI's intention and instead was me misunderstanding, which is all on me.
I agree with you on this. Until Colonial Marines released I considered DNF a separate one-time gently caress up where somebody had to release the legendary Duke Nukem Forever and Gearbox was just a studio to do the deed. They took the hit but got a lot of money for it. Now after this Aliens release and seeing how badly they handle their failure PR-wise by outright lying about outsourcing - my thoughts return to DNF and see it in a different light.

Also to put the outsourcing scapegoat to rest, here's what SEGA had to say about it:

quote:

As [SEGA’s senior producer, Matthew J. Powers] told Playnews during the Italian Aliens: Colonial Marines’ launch event: “Absolutely not, the game has been developed by Gearbox Software. Other studios [like Timegate] helped Gearbox on the production of single and multiplayer.”

Powers debunked the rumor spread by a forum post made by an alleged former Gearbox member on Texags back in May, stating that the game’s primary development was apparently outsourced to Section 8′s team TimeGate Studios.
So the game WAS developed by Gearbox with just usual help from other studios (I remember Pitchford stating only 20-30% of assets were outsourced) and scapegoating is only based on a single forum post.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 13, 2013

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I doubt it's enough to sink them in many publisher's eyes, borderlands 2 was still a big hit, badonkadonks aside.

Oh, I don't think this is enough to sink them. Not even with Sega, if sales figures turn out alright. And I'm sure Take 2 is very happy with how Borderlands 2 came out. Just that giving them a game to develop for any IP but their own would be a mistake (and buying that game would be an even bigger one) since they obviously don't seem to give a poo poo about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Iacen posted:

Someone linked me to this story, because I said that "Everything is canon in Alien". Apparently, it isn't:

If it isn't just something he's pulling out of his rear end, it actually makes me sad, as some of the comics weren't all that bad.

Piece of poo poo Aliens: Colonial Marines whos story makes no goddamn sense is canon but the jury is still out on Prometheus which was amazing? gently caress them.

• Locked thread