Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

shadok posted:

My N7 score is 5550 and I suck. I've got every challenge banner in the game but Nomad and Lone Wolf and I did almost all of it on bronze.

If you ever want to not suck you really should just bite the bullet and start playing Gold with goons. You'll get better fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Psion posted:

Oh really? That's cool. I thought they came out on Tuesdays 7 days before the DLC dropped, but if it's announced Thursday and drops Tuesday, even better.

Well, assuming it happens this week. I would prefer not to wait :v:

Sometimes they would announce a DLC late in the week for release the next Tuesday and there wouldn't be a trailer until Monday. That may or may not be the case this time though, as this is likely the final DLC for ME3 as they move on to the next game so they may want to drop it all at once, perhaps around the 1 year anniversary.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it's MP DLC, it's definitely not the last.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

shadok posted:

My N7 score is 5550 and I suck. I've got every challenge banner in the game but Nomad and Lone Wolf and I did almost all of it on bronze.

You should at least be familiar with your characters of choice and weapons and such.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Houdini posted:

I've always thought the 33% chance of not needing a cooldown was bugged anyway because it's a lot more reliable than a one out of 3 chance.

It's a great thing to try out though. It's also mental when you chain together a load of stasis - charge combos without interruption. :stare:

Your luck must just be better than mine, because I've ABCed through whole matches and counted it happening once.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Aphrodite posted:

If it's MP DLC, it's definitely not the last.

The screenshot of the krogan with the hammer is clearly a multiplayer character on the Firebase Goddess map so I have no doubt there's more MP DLC in the pipeline. We pretty much know that the single player DLC is the last one and that Montreal, who develops multiplayer, is developing the entire next game so we might be nearing the last hurrah for both modes. The less frequent balance changes are kind of a sign IMO. Then again I've never really entirely bought into the "they make a ton of money on BioWare point sales for reinforcement packs" thinking and I thought they were done on the last one where they were clearly hurting for character ideas outside of the volus and jetpack turians they lead off with (give everybody warp!) so what do I know.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If the co-op story mode is true though, that would basically be the biggest single addition to multiplayer since it was released. I thought they were done after the first DLC though, so basically everything has surprised me up to this point.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Burning Mustache posted:

Man, I really want to like the Incisor but I'm not sure that boost is going to do anything at all :v:
I cursed it as total dogshit until I realized you can fan the trigger to basically make it full-auto.

Then it was only moderately dogshit.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Why didn't they ever add female Turians and Salarians, come ON son

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It is weird we basically never see female Turians even though they clearly aren't stay at home mothers because Garrus totally scored with one while serving on a warship.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
The real question is why didn't they ever add Protheans?

Cheap Vodka
Nov 4, 2008

COMPLETE. GLOBAL. CALIBRATION.

dazoner posted:

The real question is why didn't they ever add Protheans?

BSN's bitching and sperging over :qq:my canon:qq: when they added playable Volus was so bad I shudder to imagine what would happen if they added Protheans. I wish they'd write some half assed blog post to justify it and add them anyway. Suddenly finding a million Prothean warriors frozen in some building on Feros is still less retarded than synthesis. :v:

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

Cheap Vodka posted:

BSN's bitching and sperging over :qq:my canon:qq: when they added playable Volus was so bad I shudder to imagine what would happen if they added Protheans. I wish they'd write some half assed blog post to justify it and add them anyway. Suddenly finding a million Prothean warriors frozen in some building on Feros is still less retarded than synthesis. :v:

Simple solution: Simultaneous SP/MP DLC in which a small group of protheans is found in suspension like Javik. Not enough to restart the race, but enough to make a difference in fighting the reapers.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Man, Volusing is now my favorite thing to do. Everybody loves the little shield buddy.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I have reason to believe Random Location and Random Enemy means Firebase Ghost and Collectors. Unless I am playing a biotic character then it's Anywhere with a bunch of Geth because gently caress You.

Otherwise I picked up a couple mediocre to snazzy weapons and tried my hand at the Turian Havoc, who is like a Vanguard but mortal. Salarian Infiltrator feels pretty solid as well.

What's the deal with grenade-esque limited use powers? You can refill them at ammo boxes only sometimes you can't? And the amount you actually get back is arbitrary?

What are the rules here? I can't stand playing characters with grenades because I feel like I have no reliable method of knowing when that power will be available. It feels limiting.

Sarkozymandias fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 13, 2013

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Ammo boxes have a limited supply of grenades (and ammo). Usually one, sometimes two. It takes a while for them to 'reload'.

I've been playing with the Reegar, does it work with the shredder mod?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I find it really hard to justify the Havoc when it's basically an inferior Vanguard. All the downsides of flinging yourself into the fray, very little of the upsides. Although I don't have any Vanguard that can look like a giant bumble bee. So score one for the Havoc.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The only way to make the Havoc work is to go all in on melee and get stacked kill bonuses. Every melee option in fitness and stim and havoc strike, and you stim->strike->heavy melee, then keep punching and striking and use stims as needed until everything is dead.

After one heavy melee kill and all the stacked bonuses from stim and a successful havoc strike you're actually putting out an AOE melee which does more damage than a full melee Krogan Vanguard heavy punch until the KV gets into rage (which isn't hard to do) but your melee still hits really hard, faster, and doesn't have that lock-on problem of Krogan heavy.

I mean no, it's not really as super awesome, but it hits incredibly hard if you go all in on melee and use stims to keep you alive. Any "oh I'll take shields instead of punching" decision makes it poo poo.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

seravid posted:

I've been playing with the Reegar, does it work with the shredder mod?

Yes it does. It's ridiculous, but the good kind of ridiculous. Shooting lightning through walls... :feelsgood:

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Really? I thought armor-piercing didn't do anything for projectile weapons. I guess the reegar isn't a projectile weapon somehow?

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
Why do people hate playing biotic classes against Geth again? I've never really had any trouble with Geth specifically.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Demitri Omni posted:

Why do people hate playing biotic classes against Geth again? I've never really had any trouble with Geth specifically.

Yea I don't get it, especially when Geth are the only faction that don't have power canceling horseshit.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Semisponge posted:

Really? I thought armor-piercing didn't do anything for projectile weapons. I guess the reegar isn't a projectile weapon somehow?

It's not a projectile weapon like the GPS, Graal, Kishock, etc. AP is needed because it has a 50% damage penalty to armor, and it's OP as gently caress because it can get headshots.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Demitri Omni posted:

Probably because biotic powers are less effective against shields, and the Geth are all about shields.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Reave, Warp, and Dark Channel only do half damage against shields, but they can get huge bonus damage against barriers and armor, up to 350%. So biotics can easily take down a banshee, but you need something else to strip shields against geth.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Reave, Warp, and Dark Channel only do half damage against shields, but they can get huge bonus damage against barriers and armor, up to 350%. So biotics can easily take down a banshee, but you need something else to strip shields against geth.

I guess I get that. I probably just end up teamed with enough Overload or other strong-against-shields class powers that I never notice it hindering me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Demitri Omni posted:

I guess I get that. I probably just end up teamed with enough Overload or other strong-against-shields class powers that I never notice it hindering me.

I think I have the same streak of luck, because I never seem to have trouble with Geth while using a Biotic class, whereas when I build a class to fight Geth, I end up doing terribly against them.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I think I also read that Geth in general take less damage from biotic powers, and it certainly seems to be the case.

I'm still in a place where I'm playing Bronze and Silver with crappy weapons and no good upgrade materials and most of my teammates are level 20s lone-wolfing around the map with rank X weapons, leaving me to die alone surrounded by Primes who I'm pretty sure cannot be killed by any biotic class, so I find myself ineffectually ramming my biotic head against the same loving enemy three or four times hoping it dies before whatever is shooting me from god-knows-where can drop me. I find myself constantly feeling like I'm surrounded by problems I don't have solutions to because unless you're packing some high-leveled, fully upgraded top tier monstrosity your weapon is basically optional.

Basically gently caress Geth. I can charge forward and beat the unholy hell out of any enemy, armored or not, but these fuckers can burn in hell. The only thing I find comparably annoying are loving Praetorians.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Additionally Hunters need to be shot first so you can apply a power to them, and since Pyros can't be stasised or grabbed, they are a bitch to fight as Asari Adept.

However, if you load out with Disciple and/or Acolyte, shields can be stripped fairly neatly.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Psimitry posted:

Simple solution: Simultaneous SP/MP DLC in which a small group of protheans is found in suspension like Javik. Not enough to restart the race, but enough to make a difference in fighting the reapers.

This is really the only way it could work. Even then you would need Javik to have involvement. His plot and personality largely revolves around being the last of his race. Just sticking Protheans in MP would be a big middle finger to that, and even the DLC idea would need to be done properly. It's not like volus, which they did a decent job of justifying by going into detail in their profiles about how (and this had been a part of the series since ME1) they are a super-rich banker race, and so they make up for their physical inferiority with the most expensive, cutting-edge technology in the galaxy, and even then they have the shittiest health in the game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Am I too late to get into this on the 360?

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Has anyone done an updated weapon tier list?

I've been trying a few different guns and some of them really just feel like garbage, sadly. I'm sure some of them can be utilized well but I don't think I'll ever use a Revenant or Argus again. Had a surprising amount of fun headshotting people with the Valkyrie though.

Also, I'm curious how much the weapon upgrades matter in terms of the numbers. Most of my better guns are still at I or II, is the difference between I and X an order of magnitude, or is it about double, or what?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Am I too late to get into this on the 360?

God no. Get downloading the DLC's.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Majestic posted:

I've been trying a few different guns and some of them really just feel like garbage, sadly. I'm sure some of them can be utilized well but I don't think I'll ever use a Revenant or Argus again. Had a surprising amount of fun headshotting people with the Valkyrie though.

Yeah, unfortunately even out of the rare (Gold) guns, the vast majority is garbage compared to the handful or so objectively good weapons.
The Revenant and Argus are both pretty useless, and the Valkyrie is basically a joke considering it's a promotional item.
For ARs, it's basically the Harrier you'll want to go with that trumps any other AR. If you don't have that, the Mattock.
There's also the Vindicator or Phaeston which have their uses and can be used somewhat effectively even on power-reliant classes.
The Sabre is OK and has its use with some classes (note the weight) and the Particle Rifle is more of a gimmick that is basically limited to the N7 Destroyer due to its weight.

Majestic posted:

Also, I'm curious how much the weapon upgrades matter in terms of the numbers. Most of my better guns are still at I or II, is the difference between I and X an order of magnitude, or is it about double, or what?

Damage-wise, the difference between I and X is usually ~20-25%, but the real advantage is the reduced weight, which is usually (roughly) halved at level X.
There are cases where some level Xs will be a lot better than level Is (a Mantis X is arguably better than a Widow I if you factor in the huge weight difference, but at X the Widow's damage is significantly higher than a Mantis X'), but in general, once you've got one of the objectively good guns at I, all the competing level Xs in that category become obsolete (see: Harrier I, Hurricane I, etc.)

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Thanks for the reply.

I actually really found the Valkyrie to be pretty competitive with the harrier for killing human sized targets, as I was able to consistently get both shots to hit the head. In terms of raw damage output the harrier seems to be leaps and bounds above anything else, except perhaps the Typhoon on the right class (devastator, turians).

25% damage increase is a lot less than I expected. I've seen some people that just seem to melt through the armour on an atlas in a few seconds with the same gun I'm using to do not very much, even when we're both using AP ammo. Maybe they're spec'd more for damage or have different weapon mods I guess.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Majestic posted:

25% damage increase is a lot less than I expected. I've seen some people that just seem to melt through the armour on an atlas in a few seconds with the same gun I'm using to do not very much, even when we're both using AP ammo. Maybe they're spec'd more for damage or have different weapon mods I guess.

AP ammo and weapon mods do stack, so that can make a significant difference. And don't forget (consumable) weapon damage mods.
There's also class synergy with certain guns that elevate them to a completely different level.

Like, the Harrier does decent damage on any class, but a Harrier on a Turian Ghost Infiltrator specced for maximum AR damage and combined with Cloak is just ridiculous and performs in a completely different ballpark.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Why are people really even trying to apply the canon to this MP anyway? I never thought there was an elite squad of pink geth and Voluses running around doing Specter work, I don't see what adding Prometheans would have anything to do with anything.

I mean really if you look at it why the hell would a squad of four people running around on the same loving rooftop cursing at each other ever be canonical?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Why are people really even trying to apply the canon to this MP anyway? I never thought there was an elite squad of pink geth and Voluses running around doing Specter work, I don't see what adding Prometheans would have anything to do with anything.

I mean really if you look at it why the hell would a squad of four people running around on the same loving rooftop cursing at each other ever be canonical?

BSN posted:

Because MY IMMERSION
:qqsay:

That's literally all there is to it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The multiplayer is inherently linked to the single-player is probably why. They probably take it more seriously because it's supposed to be the story of the war against the Reapers and the multiplayer is supposed to help portray that. That's what it was sold to them as.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If the multiplayer was truly linked to SP then my expansive fleet of superhuman promoted N7 troops would have blown the Reapers out of the sky within the opening minutes of ME3.

• Locked thread