Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Oh poo poo, it's a Kairosoft thread.

They make neat management-ish games. It's a bit hard to pin down precisely what they are, because they're a very distinct flavor of game that's more or less unique to Kairosoft.

Originally founded in 1996 as a cell phone game company, Kairosoft hit it big in the west when they released Game Dev Story on iOS. They've been porting some of their more successful cell phone games over to iOS and Android. (This explains why most games have a menu-heavy interface, two soft-key-style buttons in each lower corner, and the option to use a directional pad with a single center button. Dumb phone habits die hard, yo.)

The one that started it all. Not too complex, not too simple. Make the next big vidjagame! Then make sequels, then make more sequels, then make even more sequels. It's just like the real games industry!

TouchArcade Review: 5 VIDJAGAMES

Their newest game, Beastie Bay was described by TouchArcade as "Pokemon meets SimCity." That's a good description. It takes the familiar build-a-city aspect of Kairo games and adds a Pokemon-esque battling system. It's also their first free game; for $4.99 you can remove ads and enable landscape mode, and midway through the game you can start to buy medals with IAP. You won't really need the latter, and the former is if you like it enough to throw cash their way.

TouchArcade Review: 4.5 STARS

Build up a town on the edge of a monster-infested plain, selling your wares and attracting adventurers.

TouchArcade Review: 4 STARS

Build up your little soccer team from a piece of poo poo to a not-piece of poo poo.

TouchArcade Review: 4 GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALS

Run a restaurant! Discover dishes! Go deep! Really deep. Really, distressingly deep.

Build a town into a bustling medieval Japan hotspot, replete with castles and inns and statistics.

TouchArcade Review: 4.5星

Did you like Oh! Edo Towns? Did you want to play a less-good version of it in the modern day?

... Okay then.

TouchArcade Review: 2.5 STARS

Regarded as one of the best Kairo games. Start a racing team from scratch, build cars, race 'em, win 'em. Fun as all hell.

Build a town in space! Attack space aliens! Make spacey space things! Space!

TouchArcade Review: 4.5 SPACE STARS

Recruit and educate students! Then make them kiss. This is a gameplay mechanic, for some reason.

TouchArcade Review: 5 ANIME COUPLES

Run a big, tall clothing store. Unlike most Kairosoft games, it's portrait-only. It's pretty samey, though, and not their best work.

TouchArcade Review: 3 STARS

Build up a gigantic mall! Have customers spend $10,000 in a single go! Take all their money!

TouchArcade Review: 4.5 STARS

Japanese people, apparently, love hot springs. Let's exploit that for massive profit!

TouchArcade Review: 4.5 STEAMY SPA-GOERS

Anything below are Android-only, so I can't speak to them. I don't know if they'll ever make it to iOS, but here they are~

Got your own reviews or favorites? Got a strategy to milk each and every dime from your poor, poor virtual people? Well let's do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.
Oh poo poo indeed! I've put far too many hours into Kairosoft games. You might note which games are iPad friendly, though, since most of them are only on iPhone resolutions. Also, a link to Kairospot seems like a useful addition!

That said, Game Dev Story, Pocket League Story, Dungeon Village, and Grand Prix Story are probably my favorite. Pocket Academy is awesome as well, and I don't truly dislike any of them. I'm still not sure how much I care for Beastie Bay, though

allsizesfitone fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 13, 2013

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Kairobotica is really great, I just could never figure out how to unlock the last planet.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'm just starting to dig into Beastie Bay and I know this is gonna end up with me not sleeping for a few nights.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I hate how much more stuff Android users get over us iGoons. Send the games to the AppStore faster, Kairosoft. All the poo poo's right there. :argh:

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Kaboobi posted:

I'm just starting to dig into Beastie Bay and I know this is gonna end up with me not sleeping for a few nights.

It's very bare-bones, but there is useful info on beastiebay.net. Don't worry about trying to get high scores on your first run, just research everything and do all of the islands, find the hidden caves, and find one good beastie to take into the new game+. You'll get to keep all of your items, and the levels of your survival items will roll over once you research them once in the new game.

Before you do that new game, though, medal farm and leave your game running overnight, then spend all of the medals on level and slot scrolls; the medals don't carry over but the items do.

Finally, if you downloaded and played the game from the Japanese store, you can copy over the Library directory with iFunbox and keep your saved game.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Are all of these games ports? Are any of them made for smartphones from the ground up?

GameDevStory owned though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
^^^^Edit: I'm pretty sure most of them are ports.

Also I desperately want Kairosoft to port their horse racing game. :argh:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Revitalized posted:

Are all of these games ports? Are any of them made for smartphones from the ground up?

GameDevStory owned though.

p sure they're all decades old ports from Japanese cell phone games. They were huuuuuge into cell phone gaming long before the US even put tetris on digital watches.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
The 'good ones' in my opinion are:
Game Dev
Grand Prix
Epic Astro
Pocket League
Beastie Bay
Dungeon Village

Academy was not bad, the rest are pretty eh in my opinion but I haven't played all of them.

I have wasted whole days of my life to these goddamn games.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I played GameDev Story like a fiend but haven't touched any of their other games. Are any of them iPad optimised?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never can make enough money in Astro Story to get the top gear, so I've never been able to complete a map 100%.

Are the Android only ones available for Kindle Fire?

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Does anyone think Beastie Bay feels easier than older Kairosoft games? Also Pocket Academy was ok, but goddamn was it impenetrable, I could barely figure out how anything worked in it.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

dabre_aiamim posted:

It's very bare-bones, but there is useful info on beastiebay.net. Don't worry about trying to get high scores on your first run, just research everything and do all of the islands, find the hidden caves, and find one good beastie to take into the new game+. You'll get to keep all of your items, and the levels of your survival items will roll over once you research them once in the new game.

Before you do that new game, though, medal farm and leave your game running overnight, then spend all of the medals on level and slot scrolls; the medals don't carry over but the items do.

Finally, if you downloaded and played the game from the Japanese store, you can copy over the Library directory with iFunbox and keep your saved game.

Medal farming...? How the heck do you farm medals in this game?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

The presents you can harvest can sometimes be coins.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

twistedmentat posted:

I never can make enough money in Astro Story to get the top gear, so I've never been able to complete a map 100%.

Are the Android only ones available for Kindle Fire?

The only Android only ones that have made it to Kindle so far is the Sushi Spinnery and World Cruise Story.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Do any of these look ok on iPad?

I tried one or two a while ago, and they looked like poo poo. I like to think I am a substance over graphics guy, but they were truly terrible.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Cafeteria Nipponica is my fave, although Pocket League and the classic Game Dev will always be dear to me. Dream House Days is promising despite the presence of in-app purchases. I do hope that they branch out with more stuff like Kairobotica and Beastie Bay, which are both quite different to their normal style, though.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Bummey posted:

p sure they're all decades old ports from Japanese cell phone games. They were huuuuuge into cell phone gaming long before the US even put tetris on digital watches.

Wait, I can get Tetris on my watch?

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Meowjesty posted:

The only Android only ones that have made it to Kindle so far is the Sushi Spinnery and World Cruise Story.

All of them work without issue on the Kindle if you crossload them from your phone or hack your Kindle so you can use Google Play.

I always think World Cruise Story doesn't get enough love, but Pocket League and Grand Prix are the ones I'll actually play more than once. They haven't done one in that style for quite some time.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
Kairosoft games are awesome, but hideously addictive.

Usually find myself playing at night, and before I know it, it's 3am and I'm totally screwed for work the next day.

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

Legs Benedict posted:

Shwqa posted:

The presents you can harvest can sometimes be coins.

When you build things, you'll notice they have a grade in stars, 1-5. Apparently any 5-star nature item can produce medals, but the easiest (and only, perhaps) nature feature you can get a lot of are alpine plants. At some point after increasing trade with other islands, you'll be able to purchase alpine plant 'chips' from the Pumpkin Shop. At that point you find some space on your island, put down an ally bed, surround it with alpine plants, throw a handkerchief/rag/headband on the monster and let it farm.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
It's been so long since World Cruise Story hit the Android store I presume it's not getting an IOS release, that was one I would have bought.

I do still hold out hope the horse racing game makes it across, if it gets anywhere close to the fun I had with Grand Prix Story I'll be well happy.

Talking of which, I never could get even close to winning an Ice Race in that drat thing! Anyone who comprehensively beat that game have any good tips for your run throughs etc?

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

Fazana posted:

Talking of which, I never could get even close to winning an Ice Race in that drat thing! Anyone who comprehensively beat that game have any good tips for your run throughs etc?

It's been ages since I beat Grand Prix Story, but I seem to recall that durability was a must, and spec the crap outta your tyres. What build are you currently trying the races with?

General rule - if you dont shoot into the lead within the first half couple of bends from the start - you got no chance of finishing 1st.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Dungeon Village, Cafeteria Nipponica, Pocket Clothier and Beastie Bay are all universal apps. The rest look ok on iPad, owing to the pixelly motif.

EDIT In Grand Prix I abused the hell out of the supercharger, especially early on. It gives you crazy good acceleration off the line, even if installed by a bunch of nincompoops.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

dabre_aiamim posted:

When you build things, you'll notice they have a grade in stars, 1-5. Apparently any 5-star nature item can produce medals, but the easiest (and only, perhaps) nature feature you can get a lot of are alpine plants. At some point after increasing trade with other islands, you'll be able to purchase alpine plant 'chips' from the Pumpkin Shop. At that point you find some space on your island, put down an ally bed, surround it with alpine plants, throw a handkerchief/rag/headband on the monster and let it farm.

To expand on this, you can farm the cave on the west side of the starting island (damp cave, chill cave?) and occasionally you get to build rocks. Put the rocks between two power sources (solar works best) and then all the woods (the 3-tree ones, not 5-tree ones) can be upgraded to Legendary trees. Put your best beasts with the highest work skill around the trees and you'll be able to get ~100 medals an hour assuming you have as many beasts as possible and all of them working on nothing but Legendary Trees or alpine plants. To max out their recovery rate, I put 8 beasts around a clinic and then put a woods in front of each of them, and a person's house in each corner upgraded to Mansions, not their tourist businesses. Seems to help.

Also, you carry over ALL the stuff in your inventory so to max out your money buy as many baits as you can afford, then just sell them when you start a new game. You need around 300,000g to max out all the investment opportunities.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

There's just something about these games that really grabs me. Of course I always have to name the places some variation on "Sunny", even when it isn't the default.

Plus you always know you're going to end up with Kairobot, and he's awesome. Grizzly Bearington is another favourite for me. The wrestler guy is great when he turns up too. And Metaboks if it's one with monsters.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Merrill Grinch posted:

I always think World Cruise Story doesn't get enough love, but Pocket League and Grand Prix are the ones I'll actually play more than once. They haven't done one in that style for quite some time.

I keep hoping (a) that World Cruise Story will eventually see an iOS release, and (b) that we get another in that same style. I wondered if Beastie Bay might at least have some sort of breeding mechanic that worked out like building/improving a car, honestly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
poo poo, There's a New Game+ in beastie bay that lets you keep 1 monster and all your items? Maybe I won't worry about trying to capture everything as I go and I'll just focus on leveling and killing stuff with my starter Duckie, Electrobot(?), and something else like the definitely-not-a-kingslime I just got from the first uninhabited island.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

poo poo, There's a New Game+ in beastie bay that lets you keep 1 monster and all your items? Maybe I won't worry about trying to capture everything as I go and I'll just focus on leveling and killing stuff with my starter Duckie, Electrobot(?), and something else like the definitely-not-a-kingslime I just got from the first uninhabited island.

Do your first playthrough until you get to the hidden caves and can find either a Kairobot or a Princess, one of the weapons that does +128 to all enemies and C resist charms for at least 3 elements. On your next game, you give 2 slot scrolls to your 3-slot Kairobot and you can watch that thing solo the entire game until you get to Enigma Island, basically.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
How do you access the hidden caves? The site said where they are, but not how to access them. Do I need to get 100% completion for that area?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

ZephroDyne posted:

How do you access the hidden caves? The site said where they are, but not how to access them. Do I need to get 100% completion for that area?

There are 6 of them, I think one per island, where you keep leveling up one of the caves on the island and at some point you find a boulder that you can break. It'll level the cave up to I think L30 or 35 at that point and you get an option to go in the hidden cave the next time you do it. Each one is different, they're mostly one element themed but also have the robots which are sorta hard to capture because they can crush your party and they run away. You really, really want a 4* or better.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love Game Dev Story. My best moment was developing a golfing FPS hybrid game. I called it "Holes in Every One" :smug:

It did extraordinarily well. I'd like to think it was the name.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've completed all races in Grand Prix and all matches in Pocket League and played enough of Game Dev and Dungeon Village to be done with them.

Currently going through Beastie Bay, but am nowhere near enough time in on it to take advantage of the high level stuff mentioned so far here.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
So my current attempt at some measure of min/maxing Beastie Bay is to convert all of my beasts into Alpine Plant-based medal farms and using my human people to generate tourist income/farm orchards. This + fast mode and leaving the game on for a while is working out pretty well. Is it worth it to set up Legendary Trees and other stuff or should I use my millions of illicit overnight money to just buy tons of Alpine Plants?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I want a Game Dev Story II so bad. I liked Kart Story, and I think a Horse Racing sim could be even better, so I echo the person who says they want it to come over.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Telex posted:

Do your first playthrough until you get to the hidden caves and can find either a Kairobot or a Princess, one of the weapons that does +128 to all enemies and C resist charms for at least 3 elements. On your next game, you give 2 slot scrolls to your 3-slot Kairobot and you can watch that thing solo the entire game until you get to Enigma Island, basically.

That's... more extreme than I expected.

While clearing the island that introduces tourists I ended up fighting a Mimic. Not sure if they normally appear there or if it was a rare thing with the chest I found but it was level 4, my party was level 7-8 and it killed my non-duck characters before the 3rd bait captured it but holy poo poo are they powerful. Gains 2-3 atk per level and 1-2 defense. I think my duck gets 1 atk/def a level and others MIGHT get 1 atk and def per level if lucky.

My only suggestion for other new Beastie Bay players so far is to do whatever it takes to catch one of those mimics if you fight one early on. It's just silly how powerful the thing is.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Harlock posted:

I want a Game Dev Story II so bad. I liked Kart Story, and I think a Horse Racing sim could be even better, so I echo the person who says they want it to come over.

Yeah. As much as I liked the other Kairosoft games, GDS was my first and still my most favorite. I'd love to see a sequel to it.

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
There is a sequel to GDS but it's PC only and in japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
http://adeptgamer.com/forum/threads/game-dev-story-2-translation.301/

Apparently there's a translation for it for sale on that website. The game itself is supposedly available for free on the Kairosoft website.

• Locked thread