Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Long Francesco posted:

Porting a number automatically cancels your account on pretty much every carrier I've heard of. You're going to need to get a new sim and make a new account to get the $30 plan back since it's for new activations only, with a new number and then connect that with Google voice.

I guess the good news is in the meantime you can use voip with Google voice.

Also when you run out of minutes on tmobile prepaid they're 10 cents each, so don't panic when you run out just add a few bucks.

Even better, i paid $10 to refill loving tmobile so i could use more minutes, so on that now deleted account i had a good 3 weeks of my prepaid plan and $10 sitting on it. About $30 down the fuckin drain, and then i also paid $20 for google to port a number that theyre now gonna port back basically :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

ThermoPhysical posted:

Get a new T-Mobile number and just direct Google Voice to that so that when people contact you, it'll ring your T-Mobile phone for calls and use Google Voice for texting.

e: Or you could just port it back to T-Mobile but that sounds like a bit more hassle.

can you send picture text messages to friends through google voice for texting? I thought you couldnt, so thats why im basically going to port it back to tmobile. Google voice will be for talking only, i dont really care for it to handle texting.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
If sms and mms are important to you just know that if you keep your number on gv mms doesn't seem to work at all and I had issues with sms messages just taking forever sometimes, and other people have as well.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Yeah porting back to tmo would probably be best, I'm not sure if using the same sim card would count as a new activation though, which you would need to do to get the $30 plan again.

Edit: but I guess it couldn't hurt to try to open a new $30 plan, all they can do is say no.

Long Francesco fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 13, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

coolskillrex remix posted:

can you send picture text messages to friends through google voice for texting? I thought you couldnt, so thats why im basically going to port it back to tmobile. Google voice will be for talking only, i dont really care for it to handle texting.

Unless you're on Sprint and have it checked so that it e-mails your texts to you, no you can't get MMS on Google Voice.

I'd say just porting the number from Google Voice is best.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Get a new T-Mobile number and just direct Google Voice to that so that when people contact you, it'll ring your T-Mobile phone for calls and use Google Voice for texting.

Do this. Get a new Tmo SIM and setup a new account. Go into Gvoice settings and set it to ring your new Tmo number. Use Gvoice app to text people and always give people your Gvoice number. Also, after you've got that setup, call Tmo and tell them to turn off your voicemail. By turning off the voicemail on Tmo's end Gvoice will pick up instead.

edit: MMS is lame, use whatsapp or something. Moving your number to Gvoice is a good thing because next time you decide Tmo sucks and you want to move to another carrier or you gently caress something up like this again you don't have to worry about porting your number or losing it.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 13, 2013

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

SB35 posted:

Do this. Get a new Tmo SIM and setup a new account. Go into Gvoice settings and set it to ring your new Tmo number. Use Gvoice app to text people and always give people your Gvoice number. Also, after you've got that setup, call Tmo and tell them to turn off your voicemail. By turning off the voicemail on Tmo's end Gvoice will pick up instead.

edit: MMS is lame, use whatsapp or something. Moving your number to Gvoice is a good thing because next time you decide Tmo sucks and you want to move to another carrier or you gently caress something up like this again you don't have to worry about porting your number or losing it.

Does whatsapp receive MMS/send MMS?

edit: because none of my friends use whatsapp, so will they receive mms from me? and will i receive mms from them?

edit: haha wait this is useless to me

"You will like that it does it, because the contacts that have already installed WhatApp on their smartphones are the only ones to whom you can send free SMS to, as the app can’t send free messages to non-WhatsApp users."

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 13, 2013

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
My self and another goon have talked about using obihai as a SIP gateway to Google Voice for free calling while at home. The How To Geek just wrote a nice tutorial on how to get started. The whole setup will cost you $40 plus the cost of a telephone to get it started. The voice quality has been adequate I've had a few connections mess up over the last 8 months but not enough to force me to use something different.

I've also started using the GTalk VOIP calling now that I have a wireless headset for my computer and the quality has been acceptable.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
I need a new sim card pronto, walmart carries micro sims for 4g? or do i have to buy it in some sort of bundle?

edit: tmboile is nice enough to just give me a new activation for my current micro sim card, so nevermind.

edit: nope, they lied! gently caress.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 13, 2013

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
You'd have to get a cheapo $25 prepaid phone and probably cut the card down. Maybe try a tmobile store?

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Is there anything cheaper or a better deal now than that Tmobile $30/mo with 100/unlim/unlim? I don't mind the lack of minutes that much.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

gariig posted:

My self and another goon have talked about using obihai as a SIP gateway to Google Voice for free calling while at home.

I don't know if I'm the other goon, but I've been using obi for a couple of months and it's perfect as long as you aren't using your entire bandwidth like with an uncapped torrent with 300 connections.

Hint that I used: I didn't want the phone to ever ring, so I made a new GVoice line and set it to permanently do not disturb. It will email me when I get missed call/voicemail but it will never ring.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 13, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Doghouse posted:

Is there anything cheaper or a better deal now than that Tmobile $30/mo with 100/unlim/unlim? I don't mind the lack of minutes that much.

No it's be best if you want more than a couple mb of data. If you don't mind not having minutes or having mobile data, then getting a low tmo prepaid card for a slight premium and going to pay by the minute could potentially get you an emergency phone for $10 per year. (If you use less than 100 minutes per year).

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Quote is not edit.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
What settings does everyone use for GrooveIP? My phone seems to have issues with Talkatone or I'd use that.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Looks like im going to straight talk. (dont trust the voip quality for talkatone, it seems pretty bad since ive been using it a lot this morning, i just want unlimited minutes)

If i keep my number with google voice (which is the number ive had for the past several years) can i have google voice forward me calls/messages to my new number on straight talk? Meaning if someone calls me on the google voice number will my phone pick up through VOIP or what?

I feel dumb as poo poo right now but just want to know what my options are.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 13, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like im going to straight talk. (dont trust the voip quality for talkatone, it seems pretty bad since ive been using it a lot this morning, i just want unlimited minutes)

If i keep my number with google voice (which is the number ive had for the past several years) can i have google voice forward me calls/messages to my new number on straight talk? Meaning if someone calls me on the google voice number will my phone pick up through VOIP or what?

I feel dumb as poo poo right now but just want to know what my options are.

Yes, just tell Google Voice your ST number (they won't have Straight Talk on the carrier list, but chose AT&T or T-Mobile, whichever you choose), then it'll work exactly like that. Calls to that GV number go to your phone and so do texts. No MMS unless you're on Sprint and even that is hit or miss.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yes, just tell Google Voice your ST number (they won't have Straight Talk on the carrier list, but chose AT&T or T-Mobile, whichever you choose), then it'll work exactly like that. Calls to that GV number go to your phone and so do texts. No MMS unless you're on Sprint and even that is hit or miss.

Im still confused (i feel retarded). if someone calls my google voice number (currently 408-xxx-xxxx) it will ring my straight talk phone just like normal? it wont need talkatone or anything right?

BTW, amazon has 6 months straight talk for $220. Pretty awesome deal. Glad tmobile sucked so much that i was forced to research other options. Thanks tmobile!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bought non-N4 things with my bonus from work. Maybe Sprint will give me the ol' heave-ho by the time tax returns come in.

(On that topic, a misunderstanding of 'cost basis' has resulted in over-reporting my income by thousands and thousands of dollars in gains due to thinking it was cost per-share considering I was also reporting the number of shares. Consequently reporting the total cost this year has given me a much bigger return. :downsgun:)

E: I wonder if I call them and ask about my roaming use they'd start asking questions about how it's 3GB of roaming and only like 60MB domestic halfway through the month instead of just letting me out.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 13, 2013

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Im still confused (i feel retarded). if someone calls my google voice number (currently 408-xxx-xxxx) it will ring my straight talk phone just like normal? it wont need talkatone or anything right?

BTW, amazon has 6 months straight talk for $220. Pretty awesome deal. Glad tmobile sucked so much that i was forced to research other options. Thanks tmobile!

Yeah, it'll just ring your ST phone like normal. My GV number is my old Sprint number and I just give that to people instead of my ST one. In fact, GV gives a LOT better options for privacy and spam than ST does (and even than any of the other carriers).

You can block people from calling you right from GV, you can set their number as spam so it'll never ring and it'll seem like your number is disconnected, you can set yourself as Do Not Disturb and no calls or SMS will go through. It's quite nice.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, it'll just ring your ST phone like normal. My GV number is my old Sprint number and I just give that to people instead of my ST one. In fact, GV gives a LOT better options for privacy and spam than ST does (and even than any of the other carriers).

You can block people from calling you right from GV, you can set their number as spam so it'll never ring and it'll seem like your number is disconnected, you can set yourself as Do Not Disturb and no calls or SMS will go through. It's quite nice.

Yeah i was thinking about the advantages of being able to block numbers and stuff through google voice. I already spent $20 porting it so im still contemplating whether or not i want to port the number again to straight talk or just keep it as google voice and get a new number with straight talk.

I text a ton though and i dont want an sms to ever lag though, so this comment still worries me. (and i do receive and send mms every once and a while so i want that to work).

" If sms and mms are important to you just know that if you keep your number on gv mms doesn't seem to work at all and I had issues with sms messages just taking forever sometimes, and other people have as well. "

The $20 wasted on google voice doesnt bother me, its just weighing the usefulness of blocking numbers vs possibility of unreliable texting

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yeah i was thinking about the advantages of being able to block numbers and stuff through google voice. I already spent $20 porting it so im still contemplating whether or not i want to port the number again to straight talk or just keep it as google voice and get a new number with straight talk.

I text a ton though and i dont want an sms to ever lag though, so this comment still worries me. (and i do receive and send mms every once and a while so i want that to work).

" If sms and mms are important to you just know that if you keep your number on gv mms doesn't seem to work at all and I had issues with sms messages just taking forever sometimes, and other people have as well. "

The $20 wasted on google voice doesnt bother me, its just weighing the usefulness of blocking numbers vs possibility of unreliable texting

Yeah, there are times when Voice just outright fucks up, even with a solid connection. The problem there is, when a message can't send, it queues it. Then it keeps queueing it if it doesn't send. There's no way to stop or cancel the message.

This only seems to be on the Voice app. I haven't had any issues with voice.google.com for about two years now.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

You can still send MMS but it will come from your StraightTalk number, not your Gvoice number. Also, SMS lag is pretty rare now, at least in my experience.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

You can still send MMS but it will come from your StraightTalk number, not your Gvoice number. Also, SMS lag is pretty rare now, at least in my experience.

With me, lag is rare, but it outright not working and constantly sending the same message more than once is. The GV app is horribly broken and needs fixing. I've gone back to using normal SMS for those I trust with my real number.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I tried looking back for awhile, has the "ST no longer carrying AT&T sims" issue been discussed already?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I tried looking back for awhile, has the "ST no longer carrying AT&T sims" issue been discussed already?

Yeah, I mentioned that ST is out of the SIMs because of the whole Nexus 4 thing.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, I mentioned that ST is out of the SIMs because of the whole Nexus 4 thing.

Has that been confirmed that is the issue? Just concerned because this is my whole plan .. jump from VZW and onto ST. I already have my N4 as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Has that been confirmed that is the issue? Just concerned because this is my whole plan .. jump from VZW and onto ST. I already have my N4 as well.

Pretty much, yeah.

I can't find the link at the moment since I'm on my phone, but Android Police found out that they just ran out and AT&T haven't stopped service or anything.

http://androidheadlines.com/2013/01/att-compatible-sims-no-longer-available-from-straight-talk.html

This site claims that it's gone because of AT&T's wishes, but AP is the only site to actually research it.

E: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/02/psa-straight-talk-and-net10-sold-out-of-att-sim-cards-online-dont-panic/

Found it. It's happening on net10 too. They mention they'll just have to wait to get more SIMs.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 13, 2013

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

I can't find the link at the moment since I'm on my phone, but Android Police found out that they just ran out and AT&T haven't stopped service or anything.

http://androidheadlines.com/2013/01/att-compatible-sims-no-longer-available-from-straight-talk.html

This site claims that it's gone because of AT&T's wishes, but AP is the only site to actually research it.

E: http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/02/psa-straight-talk-and-net10-sold-out-of-att-sim-cards-online-dont-panic/

Found it. It's happening on net10 too. They mention they'll just have to wait to get more SIMs.

Yeah I have seen both of them. The weird thing is that both ST and NET10 (owned by the same parent company) ran out at the exact same time, while there are tons and tons of them on eBay, etc. It will be interesting to see what happens.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yeah I have seen both of them. The weird thing is that both ST and NET10 (owned by the same parent company) ran out at the exact same time, while there are tons and tons of them on eBay, etc. It will be interesting to see what happens.

The only other two I can think of is Red Pocket and H2O Wireless. Both are about $60 though but have definite 2GB cap instead of the weird one ST has.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
My wife and I are looking at grabbing Nexus 4s and dumping Sprint by way of the T-Mo's 100m/5GB for $30 plan. According to the site I can still get Assurant protection on this. Is this correct? While in six years I haven't needed to use it, my wife has had two instances where we've needed to pay the deductible on Sprint, and one other instance where it was covered because the phone went to poo poo and was covered by the manufacturer.

I guess what I'm asking is,

A) Can I use Monthly4G Handset Protection on a device I bought elsewhere?

B) Can I use it on the $30/mo plan?

C) Any other "is it worth it" input? I certainly won't use it, but I do have some concerns with my wife's ability to handle her phones.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

shymog posted:

My wife and I are looking at grabbing Nexus 4s and dumping Sprint by way of the T-Mo's 100m/5GB for $30 plan. According to the site I can still get Assurant protection on this. Is this correct? While in six years I haven't needed to use it, my wife has had two instances where we've needed to pay the deductible on Sprint, and one other instance where it was covered because the phone went to poo poo and was covered by the manufacturer.

I guess what I'm asking is,

A) Can I use Monthly4G Handset Protection on a device I bought elsewhere?

B) Can I use it on the $30/mo plan?

C) Any other "is it worth it" input? I certainly won't use it, but I do have some concerns with my wife's ability to handle her phones.

Get a TPU case and be careful.

http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Matte-Black-Flexible-Nexus/dp/B00A55Q2HA

Would you mind figuring out how much the 6 years you've has insurance for 2 people how much it has cost? Please also factor in the deductible you've paid twice and how much value you received (the approximent ebay cost of a refurb phone - the deductible) on those two events. I'm not trying to be a jackass I'm just curious what numbers you get.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

shymog posted:

Accidents happen, but maybe buying unlocked phones will help her realize and appreciate that she's carrying around a $300+ device instead of a "$0.99" subsidized contract phone.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Stick100 posted:

Get a TPU case and be careful.

http://www.amazon.com/Diztronic-Matte-Black-Flexible-Nexus/dp/B00A55Q2HA

Would you mind figuring out how much the 6 years you've has insurance for 2 people how much it has cost? Please also factor in the deductible you've paid twice and how much value you received (the approximent ebay cost of a refurb phone - the deductible) on those two events. I'm not trying to be a jackass I'm just curious what numbers you get.

Since October 2007, assuming $7/line for TEP (or whatever it is/was called) through July 2011, then $8/month through last month, between two lines we've spent $932 on the protection service alone. The first event was with a Palm Pre, which at the time was selling in refurb condition for approximately $250, so $100 over the deductible. The second, an Evo 4G, was selling for $350 at the time refurb/like new, so $200. I could count the last problem as well, and no deductible was paid, but it should have been covered under warranty anyways. Counting that, it would be an additional $200 in value.

Basically, we spent $932 on service, $300 on deductibles, and received a value of $300. Obviously that's a pretty awful deal, but this isn't a home finance course. I will have to admit dropping the $150 in these situations was much easier to do at any given time than dropping $250-350, but they also happened during rough patches when income wasn't as regular and our savings were mostly bare, which isn't the case now.

Tremors posted:

Accidents happen, but maybe buying unlocked phones will help her realize and appreciate that she's carrying around a $300+ device instead of a "$0.99" subsidized contract phone.

Here's hoping! One of those is hard to count against her, but the other two were a bit annoying. I started making her live with Otterboxes after the second one, but Otter decided to be stupid and not make one for the N4.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

shymog posted:

Since October 2007, assuming $7/line for TEP (or whatever it is/was called) through July 2011, then $8/month through last month, between two lines we've spent $932 on the protection service alone. The first event was with a Palm Pre, which at the time was selling in refurb condition for approximately $250, so $100 over the deductible. The second, an Evo 4G, was selling for $350 at the time refurb/like new, so $200. I could count the last problem as well, and no deductible was paid, but it should have been covered under warranty anyways. Counting that, it would be an additional $200 in value.

Basically, we spent $932 on service, $300 on deductibles, and received a value of $300. Obviously that's a pretty awful deal, but this isn't a home finance course. I will have to admit dropping the $150 in these situations was much easier to do at any given time than dropping $250-350, but they also happened during rough patches when income wasn't as regular and our savings were mostly bare, which isn't the case now.

Here's hoping! One of those is hard to count against her, but the other two were a bit annoying. I started making her live with Otterboxes after the second one, but Otter decided to be stupid and not make one for the N4.

Open an account and use that as your phone insurance account. Set up an automatic payment to that account for $7/$8 per month. If your phone breaks, use that money to replace it.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Just do like everyone else said and create a new T-Mobile account with a new SIM kit. You'll be down for 24hr tops, but you'll still be able to SMS via WiFi/gvoice web interface

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

shymog posted:

You spent $1232 to get $300 in value .24 ROI is not worth it.

But a N4 is very slippery and easy to break so get the TPU case I linked. Someone I know has kept the initial plastic on theirs (shows the locations of the volume and power buttons) and also makes it non-slippery.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

Stick100 posted:

But a N4 is very slippery and easy to break so get the TPU case I linked. Someone I know has kept the initial plastic on theirs (shows the locations of the volume and power buttons) and also makes it non-slippery.

I would also recommend getting a bodyguard kit from BSE if your still hesitant about cases. It'll at least reduce the chances of it scratching or cracking on a hard drop.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Stick100 posted:

It's actually -75% ROI. The ROI assumes you received back your principal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
T-Mo has launched their Straight Talk competitior, GoSmartMobile: http://www.gosmartmobile.com

Plans are as follows:

$30 - Unlim Talk/Txt
$35 - Unlim Talk/Txt/Web
$45 - Unlim Talk/Txt/High Speed Web

$35 plan includes web at 2G speeds. $45 plan starts at 3G and upon 5GB of use in a cycle is reduced to 2G for remainder of cycle.

I can't find anything on the site that says they use HSPA+. I'm interested in bumping up from the $30 100min unlimited txt/data, but I don't want to go to Straight Talk due to their 2GB limit :ohdear:

• Locked thread