Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Coffee app sent me to "Leila's Shop" in shoreditch on Sunday, we arrived just before closing and just had hot drinks and a (fantastic) brownie but the menu intrigues me with items liek "fried egg & sage" and people were eating loving delicious lookin stuff like rye bread with a slab of gruyere and egg on top. Gotta go back there......

Been there! Very nice indeed. Almost went to nearby Albion, which was unbelievably arsey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Any recommendations for a decent pub around Liverpool street/ Aldgate?

Heading to Marco Pierre Whites steak and alehouse tonight, excited :)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't know of any great pubs round there, but The Bell on Middlesex Street is nice and a bit quieter. The Water Poet on Folgate Street is popular if you want somewhere lively.

Dirty Dicks on Bishopsgate outside the station is famous, though I've never actually been in so I don't know what it's like.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

The Pride of Spitalfields is an old school pub with great pub cat can be found just off brick lane. 3 Heneage Street.

A couple of decent ales on but overall it's just a nice place to pop into and I repeat that the cat owns.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pub cat?

Sold

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Spuckuk posted:

Go to Indo on Whitechapel Road! It's very grimy but pretty great. The Hoop and Grapes is not bad either for a more traditional pub.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Pub cat?

Sold

Jowliest, chunkiest non-give-a-fuckiest cat.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Pub cats rule.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

So I went to the Steak and Alehouse (And the Bell, which was nice, quiet pub indeed)

Food was good enough but couldnt recommend it being anything like the money they're charging (I had a travelzoo voucher thing). Really good Steak and competent Treacle tart, but the Grvadlax starter was miniscule!

As a "bonus" me and the missus got terrible pimp skitters the next day from the meal, grim scenes.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Oops wrong thread

distortion park fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Feb 1, 2013

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My brother's (21st) birthday is coming up soon and I'm looking for a bar. We've already booked Blueberry bar around 8pm or so and we'll probably spend an hour or two there. Got a ping pong table! The next logical stop would be Worship Street Whistling Shop, but unfortunately it's already booked out :(.

We'd like somewhere relatively close by, can accommodate 20 or so people, preferably somewhere with awesome cocktails. Nightjar would probably be too small and Purl might be too far out. As you might imagine, we're all pretty big fans of speakeasy type places :D

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Try The Whistling Shop, should be right up your alley.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spuckuk posted:

Try The Whistling Shop, should be right up your alley.

Did... did you read his post?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

Did... did you read his post?

Bollocks, clearly I didn't.

In my defence, I'm massively hungover :(

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

angor posted:

My brother's (21st) birthday is coming up soon and I'm looking for a bar. We've already booked Blueberry bar around 8pm or so and we'll probably spend an hour or two there. Got a ping pong table! The next logical stop would be Worship Street Whistling Shop, but unfortunately it's already booked out :(.

We'd like somewhere relatively close by, can accommodate 20 or so people, preferably somewhere with awesome cocktails. Nightjar would probably be too small and Purl might be too far out. As you might imagine, we're all pretty big fans of speakeasy type places :D

Callooh Callay on Rivington Street or The Mayor of Scaredy Cat Town, which is underneath The Breakfast Club on Artillery Lane are both round there and exactly what you're looking for.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I can confirm that Pitt Cue is excellent as you'd expect, however if you aren't planning on getting there early then I'd wait until Spring/Summer time to try it out. I don't mind queuing for a table, but a hour outside on a January evening was pretty drat cold. The food is fantastic and pretty cheap but make sure you know what you're getting yourself in for. Some dudes were queuing for two hours outside.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Raffles posted:

I can confirm that Pitt Cue is excellent as you'd expect, however if you aren't planning on getting there early then I'd wait until Spring/Summer time to try it out. I don't mind queuing for a table, but a hour outside on a January evening was pretty drat cold. The food is fantastic and pretty cheap but make sure you know what you're getting yourself in for. Some dudes were queuing for two hours outside.

It's quite good if you go with a mate for dinner when it warm as you just take it in turns to get rounds from the pub next door.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Anybody been to Disiac on Greek Street? I bought two of their seafood meal Groupon vouchers when I was drunk and judgment was impaired, and I still haven't got around to using them.

The reviews are pretty good which is encouraging.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Raffles posted:

Bodeans have a pretty good system for this: you give them your mobile number and they'll text you when a table is ready.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

NLJP posted:

The Pride of Spitalfields is an old school pub with great pub cat can be found just off brick lane. 3 Heneage Street.

A couple of decent ales on but overall it's just a nice place to pop into and I repeat that the cat owns.

Love this place. Cat is very aloof though. :(

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Love this place. Cat is very aloof though. :(

Yeah as I said a pretty non give a gently caress cat but happy to accept scritches when I was there but then again it was also pretty quiet since we were there at lunchtime. Oh well, glad you liked the place anyway :)

NLJP fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 3, 2013

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Went to Bibigo in Soho last night, my class booked the downstairs room to celebrate our end of unit assessment. It was wonderful, really tasty food (can't comment on authenticity, this was my second time ever having Korean food). I had the small traditional tofu bibimbap, which came with this perfect spicy sauce on the side. But the main thing that made the evening was the service- they were just so attentive, great at topping up water, making sure everyone was happy etc. Get the creme brulee for dessert, it's heavenly.

Some people were a bit miffed at the portion sizes for the price though. I didn't mind, but I'm a small person so a small bibimbap + half a kimichi side is plenty for me. Definitely want to go back.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hi thread,

So my dad is taking me and my sister out for a posh dinner as a Christmas present.

We're looking for something pretty upmarket (my sister is in this for wearing a posh frock as much as the food) that does a good tasting menu in London or Oxford, preferably fairly classical European. As suggestions for "you must go here" or "don't go here"?

Thanks!

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

tarbrush posted:

Hi thread,

So my dad is taking me and my sister out for a posh dinner as a Christmas present.

We're looking for something pretty upmarket (my sister is in this for wearing a posh frock as much as the food) that does a good tasting menu in London or Oxford, preferably fairly classical European. As suggestions for "you must go here" or "don't go here"?

Thanks!

How upmarket? The Ledbury does an amazing tasting menu but it's 2 Michelin stars and thus very expensive.
http://www.theledbury.com/Food/Tasting.aspx

iMop
May 4, 2005
$apple_whore++;
I'd recommend Hibiscus on Maddox St is quite upmarket (again, 2*) - it's is one of the best places in the world I've eaten. You can definitely get dressed up to go there.

Otherwise, Bob Bob Ricard in Soho is lovely - great bar downstairs, and good food - not as expensive as Hibiscus. Definitely somewhere you can get dressed up for. We also ate at thirtysix (in Duke's hotel in St James') where the food was simple but great, and it's in a nice hotel, with a good cocktail bar. The other place that I'd recommend is the Wolesley -- head to HIX (the Donovan Bar) @ Browns Hotel around the corner for a nice bar to relax in afterwards :-)

iMop fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 9, 2013

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Cool, thanks guys! The Ledbury is very probably the absolute upper limit as far as price goes, but hey, I'm not paying :)

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

iMop posted:

I'd recommend Hibiscus on Maddox St is quite upmarket (again, 2*) - it's is one of the best places in the world I've eaten. You can definitely get dressed up to go there.

Just in case you are bothered about this kind of thing, I refuse to go to Hibiscus after this particular incident:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/nov/08/top-chefs-unite-against-blogger-s-review

iMop
May 4, 2005
$apple_whore++;

tentish klown posted:

Just in case you are bothered about this kind of thing, I refuse to go to Hibiscus after this particular incident:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/nov/08/top-chefs-unite-against-blogger-s-review

Wow -- I didn't see that. That is somewhat disappointing. For what it's worth, when we went (a few years ago now), Claude Bosi was courteous and answered my questions with no problem.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Went to Opium on Friday as a New Year treat. Lovely staff and absolutely amazing drinks, but you'll be lucky to get out of there without at least a 100 quid bill.

It's a bit apples to oranges, but so much better than a recent Yautcha trip. Worst service I've ever recieved in a restaurant, this place used to be so great, so sad :smith:.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rolled Cabbage posted:

It's a bit apples to oranges, but so much better than a recent Yautcha trip. Worst service I've ever recieved in a restaurant, this place used to be so great, so sad :smith:.

I went to Yauatcha with a couple of friends for dinner once, just a Tuesday evening about 6pm. It was the warm bit of summer last year, so we were just in t-shirts. The maitre'd woman gave us this disdainful once over look, and we asked for a table for 3. She turned to her companion, they exchanged a look, and then told us they had nothing till at least 10pm. The place was barely half full. We laughed and walked out. I have no desire to return.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I had some excellent Allpress coffee and a very nice cupcake at the sickenly twee Primrose Bakery in Camden today, highly recommend it.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Visited Urban Orient vietnamese in Crystal Palace at the weekend. Tiny place with maybe 6 tables, cash only, BYOB with minimal corkage. Great selection of dim sum and starters with big bowls of pho, noodle and rice mains. I'm no Vietnamese expert but it felt very authentic and the staff were very attentive. THey dealt very well with some picky eaters and dairy intolerance in our party.

Definitely recommended.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Went to Lahore Kebab house near Aldgate last night (Needos was rammed)

Fantastic curry, cheap as my normal takeaway. I'm going to crave tandoori lamp chops for a month now.

And tonight I'm going to Bodeans...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I haven't been to Bodean's in forever. I need to fix that, especially after last time when I realised they have a surprisingly decent American beer selection.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

decent American beer selection.

Sam Adams lager, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Blue Moon and Odell porter? I guess that's covering the types of beer pretty well but poo poo the bed, that's not "decent".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Sam Adams lager, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Blue Moon and Odell porter? I guess that's covering the types of beer pretty well but poo poo the bed, that's not "decent".

They have more than that. I had an Arrogant Bastard smoked porter there last time.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Yeah, depanding on when you go there thay can have a lot of extra microbrews, I've had bottle of Dogfish Head and the like.

And gently caress it, I like Sierra Nevada with my hilariously large piles of meat.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I'm up for a run at Bodeans next weekend, if any of youse are in the mood.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

They have more than that. I had an Arrogant Bastard smoked porter there last time.

Spuckuk posted:

Yeah, depanding on when you go there thay can have a lot of extra microbrews, I've had bottle of Dogfish Head and the like.

And gently caress it, I like Sierra Nevada with my hilariously large piles of meat.

OK fair enough. I was in the Tower Hill one last and they had exactly what it said on the menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Could I get some recommendations from the London goon hivemind on some decent Chinese or Thai places in or near Chinatown?