Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.
Chapter 42 is out on mangareader: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/42

It's uh, quite something alright :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
The gently caress just happened?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ok, after reading the chapter I'm fine with this.

It doesn't look like Bernholt, Ryner and Annie's actions are necessarily representative of all human-titans. They were kids when they broke the wall, and were likely raised hating humans.

Something cool, This Guy called it a year ago. Provides a bunch of foreshadowing too.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 13, 2013

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I'm just going to assume everyone except the three main characters are Titan spies from here on out.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!
Possibly. They may have gotten wind of Eren's dad's experiments, which would explain why Eren going back would resolve the crisis. People in the wall having access to human titans could be the threat that they were ordered to react to.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I dunno why this seems to have come as such a shock to everyone. Bertholdt and Reiner being titans was foreshadowed far more than Ymir was, especially after Annie (who was noticeably cool to everyone except them) was outed as one.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

I'm just going to assume everyone except the three main characters are Titan spies from here on out.

I don't know, I think these three were all at least a little built up. Reiner grabbing that Titan seemed inconsistent to me, but thinking about it if he'd just jumped out the tower he could have gotten away easily.

Also, Mikasa is goddamn brutal. Really looking forward to the next chapter. The page with the actual revelation, and Eren's initial (lack of) reaction were kind of offputting though.

It's kind of interesting that Reiner and Bertholdt's flashback had Ymir attacking their family/village.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 13, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RatHat posted:

Ok, after reading the chapter I'm fine with this.

It doesn't look like Bernholt, Ryner and Annie's actions are necessarily representative of all human-titans. They were kids when they broke the wall, and were likely raised hating humans.

Something cool, This Guy called it a year ago. Provides a bunch of foreshadowing too.

There's a huge amount of discussion in this very thread talking about that, too.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

No. :( I'm glad some things were cleared up, but drat.

Mikasa is still as :black101: as ever.

e: Wow, reading that thread, I had forgotten half of those things had happened. The month long gap between chapters has not been good for my memory.

Mecca-Benghazi fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 13, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

AnonSpore posted:

There's a huge amount of discussion in this very thread talking about that, too.

I was more amazed by him being accurate to even what titans they were. We all knew Ryner and Bernholt were suspicious.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That... was possibly the best way to reveal that. A tiny speech bubble out of nowhere in the background of another panel. It really drives home how totally insane the whole situation is.

I have to say, I'm not sure how I feel about the attack being the work of a few meddling kids. On the one hand, that probably explains why they hadn't thought through the consequences. But on the other hand, it's probably still just a plot by a larger organization. I'd guess that they only recently figured out how to make human titans, from birth, which is why they're all the same age. Including Eren.

I still badly want to know their motive... what could excuse killing off half of humanity. Or all of it, eventually. What else is there?

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.

Eiba posted:

That... was possibly the best way to reveal that. A tiny speech bubble out of nowhere in the background of another panel. It really drives home how totally insane the whole situation is.

I was definitely struck by how it was presented. I read the page and had to go back again and look at it and really pay attention to what was just said. I had glossed it over, because it was such a critical thing but it was so nonchalantly deposited in the back! This manga does such great things with its presentation.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well gently caress

That's was very casual and sudden way of giving up such a huge revelation, and right after two other important (but not so much after that) revelations in a 3 chapter battle. Its loving insane.

That was the point when they were going back home to safety to question Ymir (I knew she wanst dead) and Historia and ponder on the amazing things that had just happened, and then we were going to find some new facts and a lot of new mysteries and then the story would go slower for a bit before the next huge fact.

Well, that's what I was expecting, but no time to breathe here. It was loving incredible but also a bit disappointing, it kinda feels like the story is being rushed.

EDIT: gently caress this "flagada" guy from mangafox, how come he was so completely right? And how come nobody else ever noticed that Reiner looks exactly like the Armored titan??

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 13, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That was amazing dropping the revelation in a small bubble in the corner was such a great way of doing it. It pretty gives you the same mental skip that you would if you heard that in real life. It takes you a second to actually understand what they were saying.

Also how can this manga be so well foreshadowed, and not drawn out? Every plot twist comes at the perfect time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Cake Attack posted:

That was amazing dropping the revelation in a small bubble in the corner was such a great way of doing it. It pretty gives you the same mental skip that you would if you heard that in real life. It takes you a second to actually understand what they were saying.
This is my favorite part. My brain practically record-scratched because it wasn't dropped on a full-page panel.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Yea that was insane. I had to re-read that part a few times. I love how this story just keeps going. But at this point I do hope we'll get some more actual information about their motives soon. This rollercoaster ride is fun and all but I do want at least some answers at this point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ha ha, and here I thought that Ymir's last stand was the climax of this arc.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
I hope Ymir wakes up and they have a battle royale, Eren and Ymir on one side with Reiner and Bertholdt on the other side.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well gently caress

EDIT: gently caress this "flagada" guy from mangafox, how come he was so completely right? And how come nobody else ever noticed [spoiler]that Reiner looks exactly like the Armored titan??

I thought that was part and parcel of the Reiner and Bertholdt are titans theory. If anything, Bertholdt being the colossal titan was much less obvious.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's a bit scary that it doesn't seem to be a big deal that Bernholt's titan form is so big. Makes me think there may be more people in his village that can turn into titans that big as well, perhaps even bigger.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AnonSpore posted:

I thought that was part and parcel of the Reiner and Bertholdt are titans theory. If anything, Bertholdt being the colossal titan was much less obvious.

I know I never noticed that (which is completely evident when you look at then one after the other), so it blew my mind when I saw it now. Actually, I never noticed any of the hints this guy found, but they all make sense and most of then are pretty obvious.

So I guess Im feeling a little stupid.

EDIT:

RatHat posted:

It's a bit scary that it doesn't seem to be a big deal that Bernholt's titan form is so big. Makes me think there may be more people in his village that can turn into titans that big as well, perhaps even bigger.

Now Im starting to think that when they talk about "our village" they are actually talking about the place the human-titans live or gather

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 14, 2013

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wasn't Ymir healing? Smoke coming from her wounds and all?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Got to page 13, started laughing hysterically, almost closed the page right there. Jesus, that was...not a well-dropped bombshell.

edit: alright, reading the rest of it, I'm okay with the way it was handled.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 14, 2013

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I don't know, I feel Mikasa's face has all of the reaction needed right in the panel.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I love how loving wild Eren's titan looks compared to theirs. Like pure rage.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

RatHat posted:

I was more amazed by him being accurate to even what titans they were. We all knew Ryner and Bernholt were suspicious.
The author actually foreshadowed this back during the early training arc. There's a scene set in a cafeteria where Eren or Armin is talking about titans. When he mentions the armored titan, the panel's focus is on Reiner. When he mentions the collosal titan, there's Bertholdt. Blew my mind when I saw it on reread.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
That scene where Reiner 'escaped' from Annie and then started healing seems so blatant in hindsight. He even holds Armin so that he can't see it! I was confused at first due to the inner monologue, but that was all Jean.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Well, I didn't see that coming.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
What are peoples thoughts on the reveal that there are titans who can dig underground tunnnels?
If such titans exist and can dig under the walls, then why did the titan's need to breach the outer most walls, at all?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Wasn't that just people speculating?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schwarzwald posted:

What are peoples thoughts on the reveal that there are titans who can dig underground tunnnels?
If such titans exist and can dig under the walls, then why did the titan's need to breach the outer most walls, at all?

That was just them speculating how the titans got in if not through the wall. I still think it's obvious the hairy titan is going around transforming people somehow.

EDIT: So on Page 14 Ryner says "Our objective was to wipe out all the humans within the wall." Could someone who knows Japanese read the raw and see if he does actually specify the humans within the wall? Because that would imply there are humans OUTSIDE the wall, which Ryner and Bertholdt probably came from.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 14, 2013

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

They are functioning under the assumption that a major titan incursion must have come from outside. If the wall hasn't been breached, that must mean they bypassed it. Titans could dig tunnels if they were organized and intelligent, and even if some irregular titan could go over the walls that wouldn't explain the regular ones that were present.

Even with Eren and the rest, no one ever considers that regular titans are somehow related to humans.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Ya they were just throwing ideas around for how their could be titans inside the wall with no breach.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm guessing the tunnel thing was something that had been discussed as a worst-case scenario in the past, though. There really is nothing physically preventing titans from doing just that.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The way they said it, it seemed to me that they already knew that some titan's could make underground tunnels, and it was just a case of those types having not attacked yet.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

RatHat posted:

That was just them speculating how the titans got in if not through the wall. I still think it's obvious the hairy titan is going around transforming people somehow.

EDIT: So on Page 14 Ryner says "Our objective was to wipe out all the humans within the wall." Could someone who knows Japanese read the raw and see if he does actually specify the humans within the wall? Because that would imply there are humans OUTSIDE the wall, which Ryner and Bertholdt probably came from.

The fact that there are humans outside the wall is pretty plainly obvious. It's where Ryner and Bertholdt came from, it's the village they referred to, and the reason they want Eren to go with them is probably to say "There are titans inside the wall too, just like us. Maybe we don't have to be racist shitheads and holocaust an entire society now that we know they aren't that different"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Newfork posted:

I was definitely struck by how it was presented. I read the page and had to go back again and look at it and really pay attention to what was just said. I had glossed it over, because it was such a critical thing but it was so nonchalantly deposited in the back! This manga does such great things with its presentation.

It really liked how it was done and I actually said "what the gently caress!" out loud (and then started laughing at myself for swearing at a comic book).

I wasn't surprised that those two ended up being titans, I was sure shocked to find out that they were those particular titans though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm guessing the tunnel thing was something that had been discussed as a worst-case scenario in the past, though. There really is nothing physically preventing titans from doing just that.
Yes there is. They shut down without sunlight, remember.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
They don't immediately shut down. So long as they don't linger there for days or try to heal underground they'd be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sindai posted:

Yes there is. They shut down without sunlight, remember.

Not immediately, and they could start digging right next to the wall. If they switched out every so often and only dug during the day they would be fine. None of that is normal titan behavior, but they are physically capable of doing so.