Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

MSI's GD- series boards also use the Intel NIC, like the Z77A-GD55.

Ugh. I'm pretty sure this particular board uses the onboard Intel NIC that caused me to have to purchase an actual NIC. Because of the way my file server works, in order to obtain best possible network file transfer speeds, I have to adjust a specific setting on all NICs. I need the ability to adjust the Jumbo Packet setting to 4088 Bytes. Last time I tried that with an onboard Intel NIC, it didn't give the option to adjust the value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
It has the same onboard Intel NIC as my ASUS board and it's possible to adjust Jumbo packet size to 4088 or 9014 bytes on mine. Maybe you need to install the Intel drivers if you're using the ones Windows installs by default.

teh z0rg
Nov 17, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Eh, not true. Some things do benefit massively from overclocking.
Anything that burns maximum CPU for some time, like video encoding..

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Palladium posted:

I'm quite sure Intel boards are made by Foxconn for ages who doesn't exactly have a reputation of quality in the PC business. Information on that is hard to come by because hardly anyone pays attention to non-overclocking boards.

Built by Foxconn is different from designed/branded by Foxconn. Intel will pay for better components and better soldering than Foxconn will put into their own brand.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
E5-4650 (20M Cache, 2.70 GHz) vs E5-2690 (20M Cache, 2.90 GHz)

http://ark.intel.com/compare/64622,64596

Are the differences between this newer and older CPU really worth almost double the cost? I take it the big factor is S4S vs 2S scalability?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 31, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Shaocaholica posted:

E5-4650 (20M Cache, 2.70 GHz) vs E5-2690 (20M Cache, 2.90 GHz)

http://ark.intel.com/compare/64622,64596

Are the differences between this newer and older CPU really worth almost double the cost? I take it the big factor is S4S vs 2S scalability?

Those aren't significantly different CPUs. They're both Sandy Bridge EP octocores. They're clocked slightly differently - the 2690 has a significantly higher clockspeed for only 5W higher TDP. They both support DDR3-1600 SDRAM. The only significant difference is that the 46xx series is for 4-socket boards and the 26xx series is limited to dual socket.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
Welcome to the 4P tax.

There is no reason to buy the 4P chip if you don't want to run it in a 4socket system.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 23, 2021

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

sincx posted:

Has there been any speculation as to whether Intel will continue to use TIM for Haswell, or switch back to fluxless solder?

On one of AnandTech's recent podcasts, Anand said he knew the answer but was under NDA, but he "thinks" that the situation will be better.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It's too bad that there aren't any hexacore CPUs in the pipeline (yet?) I'd really like one for prosumer level virtualization.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
... i7-3930K and -3960X? There have been hexacore CPUs since Westmere.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Any oct-core core for the enthusiasts? I was hoping that they will up the ante and increase the core count from 6 to 8 this round now that they can keep the heat and power down.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

... i7-3930K and -3960X? There have been hexacore CPUs since Westmere.
I was unclear and meant Haswell ones.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Oh.

DaNzA posted:

Any oct-core core for the enthusiasts? I was hoping that they will up the ante and increase the core count from 6 to 8 this round now that they can keep the heat and power down.

We'll have to wait for the Haswell Xeons to be announced. We don't even have the basics out yet.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Are the Xeons usually released that much later? Desktop SKUs were known for quite a while now, while there's apparently nothing (or not much) on the Xeons, suggesting end of year or beyond.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Sandy Bridge E was released 11 months after regular ol' SNB was. Xeon E5s and E7s took a few more months besides.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ah well, Haswell i7 it will be. I do want a new mainboard in near future, that allows me to enable VT-d, and I'm not going to buy one without a new CPU.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Is there a comparison out yet that shows the differences between the Haswell consumer processors and the Haswell Xeons? I know it's far away but I wasn't sure if they released any information on that.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

THEY CALL HIM BOSS posted:

Is there a comparison out yet that shows the differences between the Haswell consumer processors and the Haswell Xeons? I know it's far away but I wasn't sure if they released any information on that.

Traditionally it is just adding support for multi-processor configurations, more cache, and larger memory maximums. I wouldn't expect a crazy departure from the consumer-grade stuff.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

THEY CALL HIM BOSS posted:

QPI, large amounts of PCIe lanes, some additional features (and SKUs) for chipsets (differentiation between storage, comms, etc), etc (like Patsburg had different SKUs ranging from some with integrated x4 GbE MACs to others with large numbers of SATA/SAS ports).

Though now that I think about it, I have no idea if the Ivy Xeons other than the E3s are publicly sold yet. At least you can still design with currently available hardware/specs :shobon:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I love how Intel made this confusing and made both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge "E3" processors and even gave them the same name other than tacking "v2" on the end.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats the point of LGA1155 Xeons? They aren't dual socket capable. Why bother going Xeon? What do the LGA1155 Xeons offer that the desktop CPUs don't? ECC memory support? How big a deal is ECC memory these days? Does it really benefit average Joe workstation user to have ECC memory? Wow I just realized I asked 5 questions in a row. Sorry for the horrible formatting.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats the point of LGA1155 Xeons? They aren't dual socket capable. Why bother going Xeon? What do the LGA1155 Xeons offer that the desktop CPUs don't? ECC memory support? How big a deal is ECC memory these days? Does it really benefit average Joe workstation user to have ECC memory? Wow I just realized I asked 5 questions in a row. Sorry for the horrible formatting.
Xeons provide you with all the features of a fully unlocked Core i7, including TXT, VPro, and VT-d, and with workstation graphics (HD P4000 is to HD 4000 as Quadro is to Geforce, same hardware but professional drivers). The value is less compelling this generation because there isn't an E3-1235 v2, but the E3-1245 v2 is a bit cheaper than the Core i7 3770, and while the E3-1225 v2 is $20 more expensive than the i5 3570, you do get full L3 cache and workstation graphics. If that keeps you form having to buy a cheap Quadro that's a good value.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If I want a mainboard with actual VT-d support, that is not just on paper but then leaving it off and out of the BIOS (I'm looking at you, Asus), I'm guaranteed to get this if I go with Intel? Or does that also depend on the mainboard model, even tho the chipset does support it? I'm currently loosely planning a Haswell build (need some quotes to plan my budget on).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is Haswell primarily concerning itself with lower power usage and quality integrated graphics or will there also be a significant speed/power improvement over Ivy Bridges?

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Alereon posted:

Xeons provide you with all the features of a fully unlocked Core i7, including TXT, VPro, and VT-d, and with workstation graphics (HD P4000 is to HD 4000 as Quadro is to Geforce, same hardware but professional drivers).
The E3 V2 Xeons also have 20 PCI-E lanes compared to the 16 on the i7-3xxx CPUs.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is Haswell primarily concerning itself with lower power usage and quality integrated graphics or will there also be a significant speed/power improvement over Ivy Bridges?

Graphics and power will be the primary focus of the chip, and those will be where the craziest improvements come in. There will be about a 10% per-clock IPC improvement in general (a change greater than Ivy vs. Sandy, but smaller than Sandy vs. Nehalem), the chip includes AVX2 instructions and execution port changes that can potentially double peak FP throughput (plus fused multiply-add operations), increases the number of cryptography types to the hardware-enhanced decrypt unit, and the TSX instruction set will improve multithreading performance by reducing overhead needs caused by data synchronization.

As well, the GPU is getting some additional processing capability like 4K video and assisted encode/decode for motion JPEG (think webcam output), so more high-end stuff will be available at a lower power point (both in terms of oomph and in terms of watts).

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
This might be a dumb question, but how long does it take for a new generation of CPUs to push the prices down on the previous generation? I.e. could the Haswell platform, released in June, see a drop in the 1155 Socket i3's and i5's by September or so? I know that when we're on the cusp of a new architecture we tend to hear 'don't buy yet, wait for the next gen or at least til prices drop', is this a significant enough improvement for that be a consideration when buying a new PC halfway through 2013?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Intel never drops prices on their chips. Just doesn't happen. AMD only drops prices once they've finished fleecing the fanboys for the obviously deficient chips. The only time Intel chips have gone on sale has been when a store puts them on a big loss-leader sale to clear out old inventory, mostly Micro Center but occasionally others.

Intel's big new chips are nice because they increase the performance you get at a given price point, not because it makes the last gen good-enough stuff more affordable (except in the used market, where hardware already depreciates super fast).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Mr Chips posted:

The E3 V2 Xeons also have 20 PCI-E lanes compared to the 16 on the i7-3xxx CPUs.
I don't believe this is the case, it's the same socket so there'd be nowhere to hook them up. In either case I believe it's 16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes from the CPU, 4 PCI-E 2.0 lanes to the chipset used as DMI 2.0, and 8 PCI-E 2.0 lanes from the chipset to peripherals.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Graphics and power will be the primary focus of the chip, and those will be where the craziest improvements come in. There will be about a 10% per-clock IPC improvement in general (a change greater than Ivy vs. Sandy, but smaller than Sandy vs. Nehalem), the chip includes AVX2 instructions and execution port changes that can potentially double peak FP throughput (plus fused multiply-add operations), increases the number of cryptography types to the hardware-enhanced decrypt unit, and the TSX instruction set will improve multithreading performance by reducing overhead needs caused by data synchronization.

As well, the GPU is getting some additional processing capability like 4K video and assisted encode/decode for motion JPEG (think webcam output), so more high-end stuff will be available at a lower power point (both in terms of oomph and in terms of watts).

So if you have a dedicate GPU will the upgrade really matter?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
From what? Home use from Sandy or Ivy? No. But for many non-gaming, non-media consumption workloads and for mobile devices, it's a crazy good upgrade.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Alereon posted:

I don't believe this is the case, it's the same socket so there'd be nowhere to hook them up. In either case I believe it's 16 PCI-E 3.0 lanes from the CPU, 4 PCI-E 2.0 lanes to the chipset used as DMI 2.0, and 8 PCI-E 2.0 lanes from the chipset to peripherals.

I must be reading this wrong then

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Maybe the lanes have always been there but some of them disabled on the desktop version?

Edit: also, whats the benefit of an unlocked Xeon? Are there Xeon boards that support OC? Or will the 1155 Xeons work in a desktop 1155 board?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 14, 2013

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Mr Chips posted:

I must be reading this wrong then
Interesting, it appears you're correct, I'm surprised they'd have four additional lanes and only turn them on on the Xeons.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007

Alereon posted:

Interesting, it appears you're correct, I'm surprised they'd have four additional lanes and only turn them on on the Xeons.
I assumed it was one of those annoying little market segmentation things Intel do so an otherwise equivalent E3 CPU is marginally more useful for workstation type tasks (+ECC, 25% more PCI-e lanes, 100MHz more on the graphics)

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Whaddaya know. It's even definitely CPU lanes according to Intel's product brief block diagram.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

From what? Home use from Sandy or Ivy? No. But for many non-gaming, non-media consumption workloads and for mobile devices, it's a crazy good upgrade.

Yeah Im concerned with the gaming possibilities. Well I plan to build a new desktop PC this summer anyway so I'm sure there will be a good priced Haswell comparable to the 2500k from 2 years ago.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Like Alereon said, it's mostly for VT-d and PCIE lanes. I built a home lab for VMWare, and an E3-1230 has been great for that. For infrastructure applications, the board or chipset being on the HCL is a big deal, and no consumer chipset ever will be. Since I am doing a virtualized storage environment (Nexenta), I needed VT-d to pass my HBA through ESXi to the Virtual Guest. Also, most Xeon chipsets use Intel Gigabit NICs, which is great for enterprise apps.

I wish I had waited a bit because the V2 line came out like 2 months later, and had a SKU at the price point I wanted that had the GPU integrated, because I have to use a crappy GF 430 now on my Virtual Host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Factory Factory posted:

Even the HD3000 or HD4000 are definitely fast enough for media consumption unless you are watching 4k stuff. And they are actually decent in most games besides the bleeding edge stuff like farcry 3.